Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Duursma is the main prize, and I have always seen Burton as "steak knives." At his best he is excellent value as that. At the moment tho he is definitely struggling with conditioning and confidence in his body. When he has played 100% fit, he has looked A grade. His body was always the risk, but lets not write him off, he is still young.
A guy that was runner up in the rising star one year before coming across was "steak knives"?

How have you assessed his 2.5 years at the club? How much value do you think he has added over and above what say Lienert would've had he been playing Burton's position instead?

Injured a fair bit. On talent he's miles ahead of Lienert who will probably be off the list at the end of the year.

We are ahead in the trade because of Duursma. If Burton was fit we'd have won it in a landslide but looking at Burton alone it would probably be a draw.

As I said though, his early season form was great, we are just seeing some reactionary comments after a couple of down games.

A guy that was runner up in the rising star one year before coming across was "steak knives"?
Take it in context ... and yes, that is my view, that pick 15, in what is the best draft in 18 years, is/was the main prize. Duursma has the goods to go on to become a 250/300 game player & has "Captain" written all over him. Burton is a good player, and indeed could still become a great one, but if he retired tomorrow due to injury & Duursma goes on reach potential, who could complain?

On the plus side, Burton could regenerate his busted-up leg and go on to do a "Burgoyne," going from "steak knives" to a "Miyabi!" ... Wouldnt that be nice?

Take it in context ... and yes, that is my view, that pick 15, in what is the best draft in 18 years, is/was the main prize. Duursma has the goods to go on to become a 250/300 game player & has "Captain" written all over him. Burton is a good player, and indeed could still become a great one, but if he retired tomorrow due to injury & Duursma goes on reach potential, who could complain/

On the plus side, Burton could regenerate his busted-up leg and go on to do a "Burgoyne," going from "steak knives" to a "Miyabi!" ... Wouldnt that be nice?
It was the best draft in 18 years primarily because of the top 9 elite players I thought, I'm not convinced the 11-20 range was much better than most other years (Butters the obvious exception).

These were the guys picked around Duurs:
Jackson Hately
Jordan Clark
Ned McHenry
Sam Sturt
Xavier Duursma
Liam Stocker
Riley Collier-Dawkins
Ely Smith
Xavier O'Halloran

(a similar range from 2017 would net Tim Kelly, Brandon Starcevich, and Oscar Allen to name just a few)

I'd argue Burton is on a very short list of the most promising young players ever recruited to Port Adelaide. If anything Duurs is the "steak knives" that came good.

Injured a fair bit. On talent he's miles ahead of Lienert who will probably be off the list at the end of the year.

We are ahead in the trade because of Duursma. If Burton was fit we'd have won it in a landslide but looking at Burton alone it would probably be a draw.

As I said though, his early season form was great, we are just seeing some reactionary comments after a couple of down games.

His persistent fragility probably cost us a GF berth last year. But yeah, he was pretty good for a little while there.

It was the best draft in 18 years primarily because of the top 9 elite players I thought, I'm not convinced the 11-20 range was much better than most other years (Butters the obvious exception).

These were the guys picked around Duurs:
Jackson Hately
Jordan Clark
Ned McHenry
Sam Sturt
Xavier Duursma
Liam Stocker
Riley Collier-Dawkins
Ely Smith
Xavier O'Halloran

(a similar range from 2017 would net Tim Kelly, Brandon Starcevich, and Oscar Allen to name just a few)

I'd argue Burton is on a very short list of the most promising young players ever recruited to Port Adelaide. If anything Duurs is the "steak knives" that came good.
You are entitled to your view ... I just 100% dont agree with it.

You do know it's not Burton's or durs fault they were involved in the wingard trade right???

The sh*t both of them get when ever wingard has a good game or there both not at there best is pathetic
Only from a select few posters .. that was a win/win trade

You do know it's not Burton's or durs fault they were involved in the wingard trade right???

This is true.

The sh*t both of them get when ever wingard has a good game or there both not at there best is pathetic

The sh*t Wingard got/gets for being railroaded out of the joint, equally so.

I'm as pro-Wingard as anybody else on here, but yeah, there are a few posters who seem to hold Burton (not Duursma for some reason, only Burton) personally responsible for the trade.

It's not Ryan Burton's fault our club killed Wingard's career. Judge him on his own merits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm as pro-Wingard as anybody else on here, but yeah, there are a few posters who seem to hold Burton (not Duursma for some reason, only Burton) personally responsible for the trade.

It's not Ryan Burton's fault our club killed Wingard's career. Judge him on his own merits.

I also hold a grudge against Burton for being ranked higher than SPP in the 2017 Rising Star judging.

It’s something of a theme.

I also hold a grudge against Burton for being ranked higher than SPP in the 2017 Rising Star judging.

It’s something of a theme.
They were both better than ****ing McGrath.

I saw poll the other day about whether McGrath or McCluggage was the best pick of that draft, the fact that McCluggage wasn't running at 101% is laughable.

Is it that unreasonable to assess a player against the price you paid for them? It's no different to the way we assess a player against the pick they were drafted at.

Nobody holds Burton responsible for the whole Wingard thing, but we sold our highest value trade commodity for pick 18 and a player. At this stage, pick 18 has over delivered and the player has under delivered. That could and probably will change, but let's not lower the benchmark to it being OK for Burton to be a solid flanker, we should want him to become AA calibre.

Haha yes.

And Tredders was pilloried by the footy public as a biased old Porp Hour sticking up for the key forwards club, when he rated Powell-Pepper and Hipwood so highly for playing their positions with a much higher degree of difficulty than halfback 🤣

I saw poll the other day about whether McGrath or McCluggage was the best pick of that draft, the fact that McCluggage wasn't running at 101% is laughable.

Is McGrath even Essendon's best pick in that draft? Thought Ridley had gone past him?

His persistent fragility probably cost us a GF berth last year. But yeah, he was pretty good for a little while there.
Him getting injured isn't what cost us a GF berth, sure it didn't help but what cost us was;

- Bombing the ball to Dixon one v 3 allowing easy intercept mark
- Wines & Rozee spending what, the last 7 minutes or so on the bench
- Hartletts deliberate (and Rockliff not lifting his hands and fumbling the ball)
- Hartlett getting his 50 late, then half was to his mark hitting Nankervis lace out instead of one of our forwards.

All of which happened in the last few minutes.

Him getting injured isn't what cost us a GF berth, sure it didn't help but what cost us what;

- Bombing the ball to Dixon one v 3 allowing easy intercept mark
- Wines & Rozee spending what, the last 7 minutes or so on the bench
- Hartletts deliberate (and Rockliff not lifting his hands and fumbling the ball)
- Hartlett getting his 50 late, then half was to his mark hitting Nankervis lace out instead of one of our forwards.

All of which happened in the last few minutes.

I'd add the selection of Marshall over Georgiades or even Westhoff as a huge mistake.

It’s quickly forgotten that small forwards used to regularly kick bags of goals against us. Burton’s defensive work is massively underrated.
100%

A few average games and people are piling on.

Apart from his injury issues, I've been very happy with him. Can see there is a star player there if he can get his body right. The issue has been soft tissue injuries, and so far this year, he's managed to avoid those. Yes, he's still had a few things like the ribs and knee, but the soft tissue ones tend to plague certain players.

Most of our defenders are struggling together, DBJ, Hartlett, even Jonas and Aliir haven't been great the last few weeks. Which suggests there is either a change in gameplan, or something else going on.

Burton is one of our best players.

Don't get the hate.

He is when his body lets him.

I also don't think it's hate as much as it's frustration in seeing him slow and gassed halfway through a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back