Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

You reckon?

"A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled."

Would you class a small push in the side of his hip "a legal tackle?"

That’s only from the holding the ball rule. There is a separate rule that covers a throw/incorrect disposal. It should’ve been paid (but they often let it go)

That’s only from the holding the ball rule. There is a separate rule that covers a throw/incorrect disposal. It should’ve been paid (but they often let it go)
C'mon people ... You need to get to actually know the rules of the game you support! Otherwise you just end up looking like your average, no-hoper, Crows supporter, yelling "Ball!" every 20 seconds!

AFL ruling ...

15.3.2 Incorrect Disposal and Payment of Free Kick
When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who hands the football to another Player or who throws the football.

15.2.4 Application — Specific Instances where Play shall Continue
For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:
(a) a Player is bumped and the football falls from the Player’s hands;
(b) a Player’s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose possession of the football;

C'mon people ... You need to get to actually know the rules of the game you support! Otherwise you just end up looking like your average, no-hoper, Crows supporter, yelling "Ball!" every 20 seconds!

AFL ruling ...

When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who hands the football to another Player or who throws the football.

(b) a Player’s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose possession of the football;
I’ve read the rules. I just don’t consider slight contact to constitute a bump that knocked the ball out of his hands. The Collingwood player elected to kick, where he could have legally handballed the ball. Like I said in my previous post, it is often let go, but that doesn’t mean its not technically a free. This probably just fits with my view that not enough emphasis is placed on correct disposal, and the umpires give too much leeway to some of these situations.

By the way, which version of the rules have you got the above from? In the most recent version the above is no longer in there (unless I’ve completely missed a section). There’s 18.13 a) which simply states that a throw is a free kick against. See https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...-9c5d-1addfa655470/2021-Laws-of-the-Game-.pdf

he’s slow, constantly looks like he’s afraid of tearing his string off the bone, most of his possessions are turnovers that result in opposition goals, and his kicking skills are vastly overstated.

but yeah, other than that he is elite
Lockdowns do funny things to people.

The idea of Ryan Burton >>>>>>> The reality of Ryan Burton

I did have the opinion that Burton was just an average player with average skills, but then once he strings some games together he looks awesome, composed and skillful by hand and foot. It changes my mind on him every time. It's amazing what continuity can bring to a lot of players.

The only problem with Burton is if he can stay injury free, that is the only problem.

Nah the one guy that stopped small forwards from reaming us every second week is s**t at footy. Burton is a gun that needs to work on his concentration during games, it's only when he is doing something extremely easy he screws up. Extremely hard working and doesn't get enough credit as one of the best trainers at the club, extremely professional just behind Boak, Gray and Wines.

I’ve read the rules. I just don’t consider slight contact to constitute a bump that knocked the ball out of his hands. The Collingwood player elected to kick, where he could have legally handballed the ball. Like I said in my previous post, it is often let go, but that doesn’t mean its not technically a free. This probably just fits with my view that not enough emphasis is placed on correct disposal, and the umpires give too much leeway to some of these situations.

By the way, which version of the rules have you got the above from? In the most recent version the above is no longer in there (unless I’ve completely missed a section). There’s 18.13 a) which simply states that a throw is a free kick against. See https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...-9c5d-1addfa655470/2021-Laws-of-the-Game-.pdf
It's technically not a free uner the rules as they stand. It can't be called a throw because it wasn't intentional and it can't be called holding the ball because there was no tackle.

It's really quite simple and is probably the one aspect of holding the ball which is generally officiated well.

AFL ruling ...

The umps forget that (b) for us a lot. Frees called when it could hardly be called prior or a tackle because our player has had it knocked out of their hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

26 disposals and 10 marks in the Showdown.

Terrific game, wins the ball and disposes superbly.

He is what Doug Hawkins used to call a 100m player, runs 30m and kicks it 60 :p

Not sure if it's a big call but I'd easily have him in our top 5 in the BnF this year. Maybe even top 3. Such a reliable, composed and relentless defender. Our quarterback coming out of defence.

The “Ryan Burton is bad, actually, era”

June 2021-July 2021

RIP

I guess Ryan Burton would be exceptionally happy that the Hawks wanted to get rid of him right about now. 2nd finals series in a row, but this year unlike last year he is fit and firing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back