Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

will be much better than Buzza, that's for sure :thumbsu:

Why be negative about another young player to elevate Ryan? The club has seen something in all of the picks but being better than Buzza or who ever is not really the objective is it? Lets face it , the picks that we have used to gather our 4 picks in the 2015 draft were late , common wisdom would say we would be doing well to get 1 player from the 4 picks. No matter how Buzza goes , Ryan will have to meet his own targets to be a long term player with us.

Before I say "for sure" , I'd like to wait till I see them live. On the highlights both have plenty of potential. Gardner seems almost another Hamling type... Thin and recruited as a defender. At a guess , it will be 2 years before we know what we have

Not negative mate and don't be another one of those flogs who tell me what to say please.
I'm just not a fan of Buzza whatsoever and have heard from a couple of other Geelong people he's a spud who won't amount to much.

I do like Gardiner though so fingers crossed he bulks up a bit more and can start to push for game time in the next 12-18 months.

Tell you want to say Bobby? Not my intention ... all are entitled to their own opinion. My comment revolved around why bring Buzza into Gardners rating. I think you are knowledgable enough on football to review and elevate RG without just rating him in comparison to Buzza. If you would like to debate Buzza with me , why don't we take it to his thread... but quickly , at this stage I'd think any comments would be very early. You have some info..fine..more than I have. I will just have to wait to see all of them live.

"Following a strong showing on Sam Grimley last week, Ryan Gardner again highlighted his potential as a key defender, keeping Collingwood forward Travis Cloke goalless.

“(Gardner) is up to the challenge and he played a really good game on Clokey today,” O’Bree said.

“He’s not out of his depth. It would fastrack (his development) playing on a good VFL forward in Grimley last week and Clokey has obviously got all the stats on the board of what he has done in his career.”

Despite Cloke’s 20 disposals and four, often comical, shots on goal, Gardner’s ability to quell his influence on the contest highlighted the maturity of the 18-year-old.

“They are some of the toughest forwards to play on and some of his one on one efforts to follow up and find a way to win it are fantastic,” O’Bree said.

Gardner was amongst the Cats’ best for a second consecutive week with 17 disposals and five rebound 50s."
Best: Smedts, Gardner, Stewart, Atkins, Sexton, Hickey
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-05-15/vfl-pies-swoop-to-take-points-over-cats-

Last edited:
Put a lid on it lol, a forward with any confidence whatsoever would have booted 8 on him on the weekend...
The VFL must be full of forwards without confidence. I agree goals do not tell the full story How many shots at goal did Cloke have? How did Gardner go in 1o1's when the ball on bound is a 50/50. Was his role to purely shut down or to be somewhat offensive. He was named in the best so he must be doing something right..

The VFL must be full of forwards without confidence. I agree goals do not tell the full story How many shots at goal did Cloke have? How did Gardner go in 1o1's when the ball on bound is a 50/50. Was his role to purely shut down or to be somewhat offensive. He was named in the best so he must be doing something right..

Not necessarily, the club seems to use the 2nds best players lists for various undisclosed reasons, which sometimes seem to include as an encouragement award.

Not necessarily, the club seems to use the 2nds best players lists for various undisclosed reasons, which sometimes seem to include as an encouragement award.

Pretty sure the bests come from the person who writes the article not from anyone with authority in the club.

With the picks entering last years draft you would have to be reasonably happy at this stage. Ruggles has looked ok at AFL level, Menegola showed he had promise to be ok at AFL level in the pre season before injury, and Cornell and Gardner have shown glimpses. Can't ask for too much more than that so early in the piece.

Put a lid on it lol, a forward with any confidence whatsoever would have booted 8 on him on the weekend...

How many forwards have kicked 8 goals on Gardner since he was drafted to Geelong?
Just curious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I didn't say that.
Try again, I was too broad with the anything term.
You believe that being named best is not tied to being best , it could be something totally unrelated to being best... so relevant to being best.. being named best is not indicative of anything?ie form Perhaps I misinterpreted you Fred? Lana thinks its not even done by the coaching staff so it may well be meaningless.

Try again, I was too broad with the anything term.
You believe that being named best is not tied to being best , it could be something totally unrelated to being best... so relevant to being best.. being named best is not indicative of anything?ie form Perhaps I misinterpreted you Fred? Lana thinks its not even done by the coaching staff so it may well be meaningless.

1. It's done by the club, who or what club person I do not know.
2. On occasion it has been, in the case of some players, clearly wrong, which suggests that other motives may be at play in making the list. Witness the previous round where HDmith was so far our best that there was not only daylight there was a full 24 hours between him and the rest; yet he was named 6th best. This sort of thing has occurred on numerous occasions whenever I've seen the games.
3. To answer your question in short; yes, being named in the 2nds best players list does not necessarily mean that you were in our best players, nor does it necessarily mean that our coaches think you were amongst our best players.

1. It's done by the club, who or what club person I do not know.
2. On occasion it has been, in the case of some players, clearly wrong, which suggests that other motives may be at play in making the list. Witness the previous round where HDmith was so far our best that there was not only daylight there was a full 24 hours between him and the rest; yet he was named 6th best. This sort of thing has occurred on numerous occasions whenever I've seen the games.
3. To answer your question in short; yes, being named in the 2nds best players list does not necessarily mean that you were in our best players, nor does it necessarily mean that our coaches think you were amongst our best players.
I haven't seen any Magoos games recently, but... that's quite the conspiracy.

Reckon it'd be the journalist who covers Cats matches though, otherwise the Bests wouldn't correlate to the articles.

On the Fox Sporting Pulse sites used by the VFL and other minor leagues throughout Australia, each club lodges its best players and goalkickers on the Official VFL site, not some journo.
That's just how the Sporting Pulse sites system works.
The Geelong website articles are usually bylined with the name of a Geelong website writer who may or may not have seen the game, but they are generally built around comments from one or other of the club's 2nds coaches, and do not always correlate with or concentrate on the best players list at the foot of the article.
However, the best players lists at the foot of the Geelong website articles are always identical with and copied straight from the list lodged by the club on the Official VFL site.

"RYAN Gardner wanted to be thrown in at the deep end this season and so far the first-year Geelong key defender has not been disappointed.

Gardner was the Cats' first selection in last year's NAB AFL Draft at pick No.59 overall.

The 196cm Tasmanian weighed 89kg when he walked through the doors of Simonds Stadium last November – he is now 95kg"

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-07-26/gardner-growing-in-deep-end

"RYAN Gardner wanted to be thrown in at the deep end this season and so far the first-year Geelong key defender has not been disappointed.

Gardner was the Cats' first selection in last year's NAB AFL Draft at pick No.59 overall.

The 196cm Tasmanian weighed 89kg when he walked through the doors of Simonds Stadium last November – he is now 95kg"

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-07-26/gardner-growing-in-deep-end

It's early.. Way early.. But I like the way he's coming along..

As for Wells..

All I can think of is MR Magoo.." Ah Magoo.. You've done it again!"...

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back