Ryan Gardner is a good footballer - post your apologies here

huddo#9

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another building game from and Gardner finished with more Ranking Points than Bont for the first time. Overall he was ranked 11th best for us.

Yes he gave away a goal but Dunkley gave up 2, while Hunter, Macrae, Bontempelli, R.Smith and Keath all gave away 1 as well. Keath's was the worst by far.

He is building and will bet my life on him playing the majority of our games next year.

Is that you Bevo. Ffs

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another building game from and Gardner finished with more Ranking Points than Bont for the first time. Overall he was ranked 11th best for us.

Yes he gave away a goal but Dunkley gave up 2, while Hunter, Macrae, Bontempelli, R.Smith and Keath all gave away 1 as well. Keath's was the worst by far.

He is building and will bet my life on him playing the majority of our games next year.

For those wondering who was ranked lower than Gardner...

Duryea
Johannisen
R. Smith
Bontempelli
Richards
Wood
Keath
Bruce
Wallis
Naughton
Cordy

Serious Question for you, have you ever played Football before?At any level?

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't actually think he did much wrong. Maybe should have taken a shot instead of a short pass on the left to Bruce but he was far from our worst.
I was watching a different game then, but we can all have different opinions in a forum like this!

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Duryea
Johannisen
R. Smith
Bontempelli
Richards
Wood
Keath
Bruce
Wallis
Naughton
Cordy

Were all ranked lower, hard to argue any played better than Gardner other than Duryea and maybe Bont.
The posts are not about those players though, they are about Gardner, for a bloke who has been in the system for so long he doesn't have much upside, is not quick, have a look when Butler started 3 mts behind him and ran past, Gardner was loping along, no game awareness, doesn't take marks, gets beaten one on one and has poor kicking. I could go through play by play and yes I agree there are plenty there tonight who struggled but ratings points are not the be all and end all and this bloke shouldn't be on the list let alone getting a game. Having said that, Beveridge clearly loves him and he will no doubt be in the side to start the next season, you know because he trains well and all that!

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The posts are not about those players though, they are about Gardner, for a bloke who has been in the system for so long he doesn't have much upside, is not quick, have a look when Butler started 3 mts behind him and ran past, Gardner was loping along, no game awareness, doesn't take marks, gets beaten one on one and has poor kicking. I could go through play by play and yes I agree there are plenty there tonight who struggled but ratings points are not the be all and end all and this bloke shouldn't be on the list let alone getting a game. Having said that, Beveridge clearly loves him and he will no doubt be in the side to start the next season, you know because he trains well and all that!

Agree that he is slow and game awareness is not quite there yet but his kicking is certainly above average and is spoil work is elite.

Anyone who thinks he is NOT AFL standard has not watch him closely enough or just doesn't rate defenders as a whole. By all means come back to this post in a year if he has been delisted but I am just predicting that he will play most if not all games next year.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And this is relevant how?

Just understanding the game. Not trying to be smart, like positioning on a defender.
And this is relevant how?

Just understanding certain things that stand out to someone with a football brain.

do you not notice how awful Gardners positioning is and body contact as a defender? Do you not notice how he had a clear intercept mark a couple of times and still goes for the punch. It’s just really poor IQ as a defender.

I’m not here to be a troll, just calling out blatant liable players. End of the day, it falls on the coaches selections. Good on Bevo for sticking up for him after fans were abusive at Gardner. Reality is, Bevo is stuck in his ways and back in players that most of us can see they won’t make it.

I was correct about so many players in the past the Bevo would play and weren’t up to it. Honeychurch, Webb, Gowers, Hayes come to mind.

Only players I will admit I got it wrong on and improved dramatically was Bailey Williams.

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree that he is slow and game awareness is not quite there yet but his kicking is certainly above average and is spoil work is elite.

Anyone who thinks he is NOT AFL standard has not watch him closely enough or just doesn't rate defenders as a whole. By all means come back to this post in a year if he has been delisted but I am just predicting that he will play most if not all games next year.
I agree with you on one part he will play all year next year unfortunately for most on here.... there is no way his kicking is above average, no way at all, his kicking was poor when it counted tonight and yes he can spoil, a lot of the time his own team mates but that is about it

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree with you on one part he will play all year next year unfortunately for most on here.... there is no way his kicking is above average, no way at all, his kicking was poor when it counted tonight and yes he can spoil, a lot of the time his own team mates but that is about it

Kicking Efficiency is 64% across the competition and Gardner is currently on 64% so yes apologies his kicking is average not above average, but it's certainly not poor.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying Gardner is going to be the next Andrews and I seriously do worry when he has it but he is nowhere near as bad as some people claim on BF and like or not he does have potential. I just get annoyed when people use Gardner as a sacrificial lamb when there are clearly others who played a worse game.

Spoiling is his one trick, even when he could mark it. I've been hoping that would come with more confidence, but didn't eventuate.

You can't tell me it's not heart in mouth stuff every time he is about to dispose of the ball, because everyone I watch it with feels that way.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Spoiling is his one trick, even when he could mark it. I've been hoping that would come with more confidence, but didn't eventuate.

You can't tell me it's not heart in mouth stuff every time he is about to dispose of the ball, because everyone I watch it with feels that way.

It's still heart in mouth but only because we remember his first four or five games. If you look at his last 5 it's nowhere near as much.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It’s probably the balance for me. I don’t rate him but the way he plays really doesn’t match well with Keath and Cordy. They’re all similar types and he’s the worst for me. At some point you have to back yourself to do more than just spoil.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some of this stuff is cult-like.

I wish him all the best as a person, but I don’t want him anywhere near the 22.

It’s an enormous indictment on our list, Match Committee and coaching department that he’s playing. He’s a slow, poor decision maker and a terrible kick - I addressed this in the GD thread but the DE/KE numbers are skewed massively by non-pressured kicks across the back line.

If the majority of people want to persist then so be it. But your bottom six often determine your fate and he’s not getting a game in any team that’s challenging for a flag.

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Kicking Efficiency is 64% across the competition and Gardner is currently on 64% so yes apologies his kicking is average not above average, but it's certainly not poor.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying Gardner is going to be the next Andrews and I seriously do worry when he has it but he is nowhere near as bad as some people claim on BF and like or not he does have potential. I just get annoyed when people use Gardner as a sacrificial lamb when there are clearly others who played a worse game.
Fair points still not convinced his kicking is even average though so we will agree to disagree

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Part of the issue is that we need Keath as CHB taking marks - that’s what we brought him in to do.

Instead he is to play FB and as a spoiler from behind - he has done admirably well but it is an indication of where Gardiner, LeYoung and Trengrove all are up to in the coaches view. None else seem to be able to take contested marks (Young has shown bits but is easily ragdolled).

If we had a Corr (we can still trump North - do you want a shot at a premiership?) we are off to the races. Alternatives more risk - Thompson (injuries may close that option), McStay (not available but would be a star FB with us not just an OK FF). Tarrant would be perfect but at 31 - this is a fair risk. Same with Hooker from Essendon (but he seems to be carrying something- maybe a bad case of oldfartisis.

Seems Bevo wants mobility though - so that shrinks the pool.

We get a Key Defender who can mark in a contest and we progress much further in the finals.

Gardiner is really playing as a second key defender - what need is a FB. Not Gardiners fault he has taken on trying to learn and is still in his first couple of dozen games. He is not there yet but appears to be doing what he is instructed to do for his talent - so very coachable.

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some of this stuff is cult-like.

I wish him all the best as a person, but I don’t want him anywhere near the 22.

It’s an enormous indictment on our list, Match Committee and coaching department that he’s playing. He’s a slow, poor decision maker and a terrible kick - I addressed this in the GD thread but the DE/KE numbers are skewed massively by non-pressured kicks across the back line.

If the majority of people want to persist then so be it. But your bottom six often determine your fate and he’s not getting a game in any team that’s challenging for a flag.
What he said!

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardiner is really playing as a second key defender - what need is a FB. Not Gardiners fault he has taken on trying to learn and is still in his first couple of dozen games. He is not there yet but appears to be doing what he is instructed to do for his talent - so very coachable.

What he said!

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's still heart in mouth but only because we remember his first four or five games. If you look at his last 5 it's nowhere near as much.

In literally his last game - the one we’ve just watched - he butchered a straightforward inside 50 entry and cost at least one goal by a) picking a stupid kick, and b) executing it poorly.

Just because he wasn’t worst on ground doesn’t mean he should still be picked. MC are insane if they think he’s a pillar of a contending defence.

If you know him personally I apologise, this is genuinely not meant as a personal attack. He’s evidently better at a professional sport than 99% of the population. But if he’s a fixture in the team next year then that’s problematic imo.

Back