Ryan Gardner is a good footballer - post your apologies here

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t think Gardner would make it as an AFL player, admit to being wrong on that as he’s someone who has developed to be functional.

But he’s not “good”, he’s a very limited player. Have no problem with him staying on the list but if he’s a mainstay in the best 22 as a KPD in the coming years we’ll have issues.

He's a potato. But at least he's a potato that tries hard and tries to do disciplined things.
Hes just not a good footballer nor ever will be.
Anyone got stats, on how many goals he has had kicked on him directly this year, seemed to figure in the replay on a number of different Geelong players kicking goals.

Still doesn’t do enough of it, but has started to go for his intercept marks a bit more this year. He’s shown a pretty linear level of improvement since being on the list and I’m confident that he can continue. With our system, if he is not getting the support further up the field from our midfielders, he has one of the toughest tasks in the afl. Not concerned that he had a down game against one of the best, most experienced key forward duos in the game. I still think he has a fair bit of upside, even as a 25 yo. With a bloke named Cordy in the mix for next in line, I’m going with Gardy every day of the week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need some class Key Defenders full stop. Need to go out and chase someone.

Keith: Good at his best, yet is getting old, niggling injuries and having more down games than good this year.
Gardiner: Gives he all, I hope he can improve yet not quite good enough.
O'brien: Not that physical, just a player.

I wouldn't be against playing JUH in defence in the two's for game development, work rate and awareness.

Its amazing how weve slipped as a side and are accepting mediocrity when despite most on here agreeing he is average at absolute best and probably below average, we rarely mention him in our bottom range players anymore.

i.e. there is a new band underneath him that are worse

Anyone got stats, on how many goals he has had kicked on him directly this year, seemed to figure in the replay on a number of different Geelong players kicking goals.

Oliver Gigacz might be able to, He's the resident stats man!

He's had 24 goals kicked on him in 2022 and here are the top 10 for goals kicked on them in 2022.

30 - S. Frost
29 - J. Laverde
26 - Da. Moore
24 - R. Gardner
24 - J. Sicily
23 - J. Howe
22 - M. Adams
22 - T. Barrass
21 - T. McCartin
21 - S. May

He's had 24 goals kicked on him in 2022 and here are the top 10 for goals kicked on them in 2022.

30 - S. Frost
29 - J. Laverde
26 - Da. Moore
24 - R. Gardner
24 - J. Sicily
23 - J. Howe
22 - M. Adams
22 - T. Barrass
21 - T. McCartin
21 - S. May

So 0.25 more goals per game than the AA Full back?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

30 - S. Frost
29 - J. Laverde
26 - Da. Moore
24 - R. Gardner
24 - J. Sicily
23 - J. Howe
22 - M. Adams
22 - T. Barrass
21 - T. McCartin
21 - S. May
goals conceded per game would be a better indicator, then factor in possessions, intercept marks etc

30 - S. Frost
29 - J. Laverde
26 - Da. Moore
24 - R. Gardner
24 - J. Sicily
23 - J. Howe
22 - M. Adams
22 - T. Barrass
21 - T. McCartin
21 - S. May

Whilst his goals conceded number is thereabouts with or only slightly higher than some gun players, he plainly offers the least in every other facet of the game of that list, other than maybe Laverde.

He tries hard and has obviously extracted the most out of himself but he’s a backup level defender that is being asked to perform a role that’s above him in a side that should be competing for top 4. It’s an issue with list management and coaching, not him.

All this discussion of Gardner as our second best KPD had me thinking …

How good would Naughton be as a defender right now?

Not suggesting we re-visit the “defender or forward?” Thread. He’s doing very nicely up forward and in the top 5-10 KPFs right now - that is something we haven’t had for quite a while.

Just saying he’d be exactly what we need in defence. Speed, height, agility, leap, intercept marking, second efforts, tackling, reading of the game, etc.

Anybody here got a backyard cloning lab?

All this discussion of Gardner as our second best KPD had me thinking …

How good would Naughton be as a defender right now?

Not suggesting we re-visit the “defender or forward?” Thread. He’s doing very nicely up forward and in the top 5-10 KPFs right now - that is something we haven’t had for quite a while.

Just saying he’d be exactly what we need in defence. Speed, height, agility, leap, intercept marking, second efforts, tackling, reading of the game, etc.

Anybody here got a backyard cloning lab?

I don't understand why people regularly suggest sending Naughton back to defence.
He is a star forward which is a very rare commodity and without him our forward line would be greatly diminished.
Also his very high B&F finish as a defender in his 1st year was indicative of some dodgy voting/vote counting arrangements that year and should not be taken as an appropriate reflection of his impact that season.

BTW Ryan Gardner has been shown an enormous amount of faith and had a lot of development time put into him but still has some key deficiencies which considering his age, he might never overcome. He has become an OK defender against 2nd tier AFL tall forwards, who can also come across and give an assisting spoil.
However he doesn't present as a contested marking target, struggles in one on one contests against top tier AFL forwards plus his disposal and decision making are still not very reliable under pressure.

He is currently best suited as a 3rd tall or back up defender.

I don't understand why people regularly suggest sending Naughton back to defence.
He is a star forward which is a very rare commodity and without him our forward line would be greatly diminished.
Also his very high B&F finish as a defender in his 1st year was indicative of some dodgy voting/vote counting arrangements that year and should not be taken as an appropriate reflection of his impact that season.

BTW Ryan Gardner has been shown an enormous amount of faith and had a lot of development time put into him but still has some key deficiencies which considering his age, he might never overcome. He has become an OK defender against 2nd tier AFL tall forwards, who can also come across and give an assisting spoil.
However he doesn't present as a contested marking target, struggles in one on one contests against top tier AFL forwards plus his disposal and decision making are still not very reliable under pressure.

He is currently best suited as a 3rd tall or back up defender.
I don’t think anyone has suggested Naughton return to defence lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back