Ryan 'happy to be here'

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Charley Ryan 'happy to be here'
She may not be playing in the upcoming AFLW season, but Richmond Women's draftee Charley Ryan is just happy to be at Tigerland.
IMG_8497.jpg
The 18-year-old was met with plenty of uncertainty heading into last week's draft after tearing her ACL earlier this year, meaning she'll be unavailable for the season.
For her, it means a lot that Richmond has shown faith in her long-term development.
"It's really good knowing that a club believes me and still wants me on their list," Ryan said.
"I'm just really excited to play."
Excitement levels were high when her name was finally called out on draft night with pick 38, Richmond's first of the night, made even more special by a call from skipper Katie Brennan.
"I was very nervous but I'm happy to be here," she said.
"I wasn't really expecting (the call) and I was still in shock a bit."
Ryan will be well-supported in her rehabilitation, with fellow Tigers Harriet Cordner and Hannah Burchell also currently recovering from ACL injuries.
"It will be nice having some company and support in there," she said.
Once recovered from her injury, Ryan is looking forward to showcasing her craft in 2023 as a midfielder with match-winning ability.
"I love going up forward as well," she said.
"Hopefully I can kick a few goals."
Described by Dandenong Stingrays coach Nick Cox as the "most coachable player he has ever coached", Ryan will be drawing on her strong work ethic over the next few months to put herself in the best possible position going forward.
"I just want to get back to footy and get through the rehab as soon as possible," she said.

hey Phar Ace, Bojangles17 if you could guess, how happy is Charley to be at Tigerland ?
very happy or really, really happy :)

and will she pass LOTW's close scrutiny ? 🤣
The latter one Stanley - definitely! She is great mates with Meg McDonald so has relaxed a bit, settled in really well, the support and culture is everything and more. Rehab with Hannah and Harriet is a good team. She just wishes she could play now.... Time little sparrow, all in good time!

The latter one Stanley - definitely! She is great mates with Meg McDonald so has relaxed a bit, settled in really well, the support and culture is everything and more. Rehab with Hannah and Harriet is a good team. She just wishes she could play now.... Time little sparrow, all in good time!

some more info i've found on Charley Ryan

WHAT THE DANDENONG STINGRAYS COACH NICK COX SAYS:
“The most coachable player I have ever coached – boys and girls,” he said.
“Her ability to understand where she needs to improve and work on those things is top end.
“The reason she has been able to get to the level she has is because of the work she puts in on and off the field.
“Obviously she broke down with a knee… if Charley Ryan plays in that Grand final, we win, it’s as simple as that.”

Beleura Junior Football Club says:

Charley joined Beleura JFC in 2017.
She has been a vital part in our successful girls program, always acting in the best interest of her team.
She was a crucial part of our 2019 U15 Girls premiership, taking out the MPJFL leading goal kicker by a strong margin.
Charley was also named captain of the U18 Girls for our successful 2021 campaign.
The groundwork for Charley’s success was laid at Beleura, spring boarding her onto numerous seasons with the Dandenong stingrays.
She had a fantastic 2022 season, leading her to be awarded runner up in their Best and Fairest.
Charley’s talent also took her to represent Vic Country in the AFLW U18 National Championships, where she unfortunately suffered a ruptured ACL.
While her injury will see her sidelined for the upcoming AFLW season, we look forward to seeing her make her return!
Well done Charley, can’t wait to see you out there with the Tigers

Ryan 2019 U15 GF3.jpg
Beleura JFC 2019 U/15 Girls premiership (Mornington Peninsula Junior Football League)...... Charly Ryan (sitting bottom right, orange boots)

Beleura players1.jpg
Beleura JFC 2019 U/15 Girls premiership players Mackenzie Eardley, Taylah Gatt and Charley Ryan (bottom row, front middle)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back