Delisted Ryan Harwood (2009-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon either at the game or in their review tape during the week, Chris Scott may have just had a small smirk/smile when watching some of the plays involving Ryan. Has that bit of mongrel about him like the Scott brothers did with a bit of that Chris Johnson run mixed in there as well. Quickly becoming one of my favourites thats for sure.

2013 Review - by rockypls

Harwood is definitely the “feel good” story of 2013. After finishing off the previous year strongly most Lion fans thought he was a lock in the senior for next year but that wasn’t the case for Harwood. He was very unlucky not to feature in any of our NAB cup games and it was clear that the coaching staff didn’t view Harwood in the twenty two for round one. He had to work his way back into the senior squad, and after showing that he’s a level above the reserves where he was labelled in the best week after week he finally got his chance against North Melbourne in round four. Despite Thomas not being the right match up for him which resulted in him kicking 4.2 on him (some very soft free kicks in that) he played quite well, he provided some good run and he was very calm under pressure which is a trademark of his.

Unfortunately he was dropped the next week and again had to work his way back into the senior team which he did, after winning every contestant ball that was on offer at NEAFL level he was recalled into the senior team six weeks later for the Friday night game against Collingwood where we had five forced changes. His game was very encouraging attack wise considering how badly the team played that night but defence wise his direct opponent Kennedy did get plenty of the ball and was quite damaging with a few majors. Most thought he was going to get dropped but thankfully he was kept on for the rest of the year and finally started finding his feet after getting picked and dropped straight away for most of his young career.

From rounds 15 onwards he really started to find an extra gear in his game, he looked much more comfortable which was understandable as he finally got a fair run with the selection panel which he deserved due to his dedication and continues want to improve every aspect of his game and all this could have easily been spotted while watching the Lions play. The highlight of his short career would have to be against St.Kilda in round 19 where not only he ferociously attacked the footy but managed to keep the dangerous Milne to only one goal and 12 touches and claim him and his first big scalp. Other games where he was among our best in that period included Freo, North, and Melbourne where he not only got plenty of the ball himself but shut down one of the opposition’s players. In terms of possession wise the Giants game was his best with 27 touches playing against Greene.

His attack of the footy was inspiring his team mates and his kicking had gone up another level, his kicking may not be Daniel Rich like but it’s one of the most effective at the club. He rarely misses a target and that’s crucial if you want to make it in the AFL. In early August he agreed to sign a new two year deal to stay in Brisbane to the delight of the Lions, the fans and himself – it just shows that if you put in the hard work rewards will come.

If the Lions are to play finals next year Harwood will be a key factor in making this happen. In my opinion Leppa needs to play him in the middle and let him do his thing, he has developed a strong defensive mindset and loves the contest. He could become a real weapon for our team if he continues to win the inside ball in the midfield and feed to off to our outside runners, and as a bonus his lace out passes could become twice as damaging if he starts hitting our tall forwards inside the fifty.

HARWOOD AND LESTER STEP UP

Ryan Harwood and Ryan Lester might not be household names but they are quickly becoming key players for the Brisbane Lions. Harwood, 23 has 42 games under his belt while Lester, 22, has played 38 games. This pre-season, the pair have been given more responsibility and have rewarded Justin Leppitsch with strong performances against Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Lester was one of the few Lions to hold his head up against the Hawks, finishing with a team-high 98 SuperCoach points. He backed that up with 80 against the Suns while Harwood chipped in with 78 points from 24 disposals.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/th...ions-bounce-back/story-fndv7pj3-1226835911323

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
7/10 – Might have cemented his place for the opener after 15 disposals at 96% efficiency. :thumbsu:

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS
Emoticon mine.

Inside Football said:
15 disposals at 96% efficiency.

Not according to the AFL website which has him at 24 disposals at 91.7% accuracy. Suspect Ben Casanella has quoted the handball stats by mistake.

Not meaning to fact check each of these write-ups but some pretty obvious errors.

Not according to the AFL website which has him at 24 disposals at 91.7% accuracy. Suspect Ben Casanella has quoted the handball stats by mistake.

Not meaning to fact check each of these write-ups but some pretty obvious errors.
It's fine POBT, not concerned. I figured the write-ups are kind of interesting to add to the players profiles more than anywhere else.

It's fine POBT, not concerned. I figured the write-ups are kind of interesting to add to the players profiles more than anywhere else.

Yeah, definitely - really appreciate you doing it. More just shaking my head at a publication which so regularly makes simple errors. I get that they are a small operation running off a shoestring budget but, equally, charging $6 or whatever per edition should entitle the reader to a high level of accuracy.

Yeah, definitely - really appreciate you doing it. More just shaking my head at a publication which so regularly makes simple errors. I get that they are a small operation running off a shoestring budget but, equally, charging $6 or whatever per edition should entitle the reader to a high level of accuracy.
Ahh maybe that's the problem I got the online only edition and maybe we get twice the errors for half the price. :)

I've noticed the errors on a regular basis myself, I will rely however on the better informed amongst us to pick them up. I've switched to an online sub to try and halt my obsessive purchasing of the newsstand version.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Rarely sighted in defence. Needed to do more. 2/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Another son of a different mother and I congratulate him belatedly on his 50 games. Very proud of his efforts to archive this milestone.

Harwood had probably one of his best games of his career last night after having a bit of a shocking 50th.

He needs to keep doing what he did last night - wearing the number 2 jumper it reminded me a fair bit of the way Chrisy Johnson used to play.

The only time he seems to get caught out is that when is under pressure with a tackler closing in he doesn't seem to have the ability to baulk / side step that the likes of Hanley and Zorko can with ease. In those situations he gets himself into trouble a bit too much.

Harwood had probably one of his best games of his career last night after having a bit of a shocking 50th.

He needs to keep doing what he did last night - wearing the number 2 jumper it reminded me a fair bit of the way Chrisy Johnson used to play.

The only time he seems to get caught out is that when is under pressure with a tackler closing in he doesn't seem to have the ability to baulk / side step that the likes of Hanley and Zorko can with ease. In those situations he gets himself into trouble a bit too much.

Agree completely, I really like his run from the back half.

He makes a boo boo occasionally but it's worth the risk when the runs pay off.

Yep can put in a shocker when he stabs at the ball with his short kicks every so often but the lines he runs coming out of the backline are great and he's also hard to tackle if you don't get him properly.

What sort of trade value do you all think Harwood would have. In my point of view he has a poor attitude and can make some very very costly errors. I don't mean to be disrespectful as I am well aware that he can also have some extremely good games for us. I think he might struggle to get a game next year with Cutler coming through he seems to have a lot more class than Harwood does, especially after another pre season. If we were to trade him it would have to be at the end of this year when his stock would be at it's highest.

What sort of trade value do you all think Harwood would have. In my point of view he has a poor attitude and can make some very very costly errors. I don't mean to be disrespectful as I am well aware that he can also have some extremely good games for us. I think he might struggle to get a game next year with Cutler coming through he seems to have a lot more class than Harwood does, especially after another pre season. If we were to trade him it would have to be at the end of this year when his stock would be at it's highest.

3rd rounder at best, so no real trade value.

I quite like Harwood and he adds to the team, but yes, he does make some odd choices and his peripheral vision is sometimes found wanting.

Overall, a good depth player at the very least :footy:

3rd rounder at best, so no real trade value.

I quite like Harwood and he adds to the team, but yes, he does make some odd choices and his peripheral vision is sometimes found wanting.

Overall, a good depth player at the very least :footy:
Hmm that's exactly where about's I was thinking. I think Bewick is a bit better of a user of the ball and is more versatile that Hardwood. With Cuts back and the possibility of Rich running off the back flank next I just really don't see a place for him in the best 22 from next year. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would be happy being a depth player so it could be worth cashing in now while we can and possibly upgrading Bourke or O'Brien and clearing up a space to pick up another academy kid potentially

Remove this Banner Ad

Back