News Ryder racially vilified on anti-social media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't followed the case closely but the discussion on Offsiders was interesting. Waleed Aly thinks the NRL are on shaky foundations by trying to pin their argument on damage to product on De Belin when there are so many other issues damaging the brand that are not being addressed.

Folau on the other hand has lost support of his teammates and has violated contractual obligations as an ambassador of national rugby. As Michael Cheika said, the Wallabies are representing all Australians. And he has previous form.

His wife Maria is the Adelaide Thunderbirds high profile recruit, and Netball Australia and New Zealand have been checking her mental health with all this controversy.

Some convoluted legal arguments to come.

I haven't followed the case closely but the discussion on Offsiders was interesting. Waleed Aly thinks the NRL are on shaky foundations by trying to pin their argument on damage to product on De Belin when there are so many other issues damaging the brand that are not being addressed.

Folau on the other hand has lost support of his teammates and has violated contractual obligations as an ambassador of national rugby. As Michael Cheika said, the Wallabies are representing all Australians. And he has previous form.

His wife Maria is the Adelaide Thunderbirds high profile recruit, and Netball Australia and New Zealand have been checking her mental health with all this controversy.

Some convoluted legal arguments to come.

I read the article in The Australian yesterday Aly referred to where it was shown the Waratahs had actually liked previous posts of his on religion. Kind of makes it a lot harder to demonstrate that he's being persecuted due to his religion. The ARU are pretty confusing and poor in terms of their strategic thinking, but I feel they have made the right call with this. But inevitably will be a lawyers picnic with no winners.

Had kind of tuned out to news of NRL players doing dumb s**t over summer and never really bothered to try catch up so am not across the de Belin case. Cringed though at he and his lawyers trying to hit back at the NRL for not providing 'dealing respectfully with women' training. Jesus wept. Where has the concept of personal responsibility gone?

Kim speculated that you shouldn't need to educate people that it is not okay to abuse

Absolutely correct, but, sadly, I don't think this adds anything substantive to the broader conversation.

The unfortunate truth is that people are abused, and, as long as the aim is to demonise and shun the idea itself (and not the espouser of that idea), education has to be a tool for creating broad cultural change and as a means to redemption for the individual.

Fortunately, Indigenous outreach, education, empowerment, and support is something our club does very well, and I'm sure we can lend Max Basheer's West Lakes Frankenstein monster a helping hand.

You do wonder how much education helps these bottom feeders. Kim Brennan on Offsiders today was talking about the NRL talking about more education for players that it is not alright to hurt women. Kim speculated that you shouldn't need to educate people that it is not okay to abuse women.
Racism is s**t, but these idiots are often still stuck in the ‘but words can never hurt me’ stage of development. If you want to think it, that’s your (poor) choice, but don’t say it aloud.

There shouldn’t be any need to educate that physical abuse (sexual or otherwise) is ever ok. AFL crowds/players have been on a steady improvement of how indigenous players are treated, with social media abuse likely to be only a short term blip. NRL players haven’t seemed to have progressed in the last 30 years.

The whole context of racial villification has changed with the advent of social media. Now a days if a comment is posted on Facebook it is out in the public domain and everyone notices. It does not only apply to racist comments as someone can put their version of the truth out there and there is little any of us can do about it. A mobile phone, an ignoramus and a Twitter account and look what you get.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a time of year when we could be reminded that we should be willing to forgive others for their misgivings and failures as well as the possibility of having our own misgivings forgiven and overlooked also?

I don't condone racism and I also don't subscribe to the belief that we can or should restrict an individuals right to voice his/her (they, them, their, zee, zan or whatever the correct singular or collective pronoun is these days) thoughts or opinions, regardless of how stupid or hurtful they may be to another individuals feelings. Attempts to do so sets us on a very slippery slope which can lead to far more dire and/or unforeseen consequences (ie where does it end and who gets to decide what is offensive and should or should not be banned?).

Call the individual out by all means, and express alternative and rational thoughts on how misguided, foolish and incorrect his views may be and win the argument with logic and reason - not by attempting to ban and punish the thought or words expressed. We seem to be increasing living in a world that is too easily outraged and offended. If someone says something that offends you - get over it, disengage with the person if necessary and move on with life or; should we feel so inclined, engage them in rational discussion and debate.

I understand that there will be many here who will not agree with my views and express your thought accordingly; such is your prerogative.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a time of year when we could be reminded that we should be willing to forgive others for their misgivings and failures as well as the possibility of having our own misgivings forgiven and overlooked also?

I don't condone racism and I also don't subscribe to the belief that we can or should restrict an individuals right to voice his/her (they, them, their, zee, zan or whatever the correct singular or collective pronoun is these days) thoughts or opinions, regardless of how stupid or hurtful they may be to another individuals feelings. Attempts to do so sets us on a very slippery slope which can lead to far more dire and/or unforeseen consequences (ie where does it end and who gets to decide what is offensive and should or should not be banned?).

Call the individual out by all means, and express alternative and rational thoughts on how misguided, foolish and incorrect his views may be and win the argument with logic and reason - not by attempting to ban and punish the thought or words expressed. We seem to be increasing living in a world that is too easily outraged and offended. If someone says something that offends you - get over it, disengage with the person if necessary and move on with life or; should we feel so inclined, engage them in rational discussion and debate.

I understand that there will be many here who will not agree with my views and express your thought accordingly; such is your prerogative.

What has happened to the offender in this instance that you don't think should have happened?

You can do that if you can ignore the historical and current societal issues caused by racism.
To do that would be completely intellectual disingenuous. The issue is those perpetuating the racism are incapable of understanding why it’s an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has happened to the offender in this instance that you don't think should have happened?

Nothing in particular [that I am aware of] - mine was just a general comment and thought regarding the topic at hand that has had some media exposure over the past week or so with Isreal Falou etc. I haven't read the entire thread but there did seem to be some call to silence individuals with such views or to punish them in various ways.

It would be interesting to know what the reach of this individuals comments would have been had they NOT been given the increased exposure they were given by other media outlets or by those discussing it in forums such as these. Does such discussion add validity to the comments in some peoples minds? I don't know. I do know personally had I not seen the reporting of this incident on the TV news it is likely it would have passed me by without my ever being the wiser - I suspect the same could be said for others also. Silence can sometime be more powerful than the alternative.

Noticed that, it was still active earlier this morning.
maybe facebook were notified and shut down?

I reported the post and the Facebook account and I'm certain I wasn't the only one. Seriously though when does this s**t stop, every club has indigenous players so you are, in effect, disrespecting your own players as well as outing yourself as a brainless f**kwit.

#istandagainstracism

Last edited:
I read the article in The Australian yesterday Aly referred to where it was shown the Waratahs had actually liked previous posts of his on religion. Kind of makes it a lot harder to demonstrate that he's being persecuted due to his religion. The ARU are pretty confusing and poor in terms of their strategic thinking, but I feel they have made the right call with this. But inevitably will be a lawyers picnic with no winners.

Had kind of tuned out to news of NRL players doing dumb s**t over summer and never really bothered to try catch up so am not across the de Belin case. Cringed though at he and his lawyers trying to hit back at the NRL for not providing 'dealing respectfully with women' training. Jesus wept. Where has the concept of personal responsibility gone?

I find the notion that Folau is being persecuted because of his religious beliefs bullshit. He knowingly breached his contract. It has nothing to do with his religious views, he signed a contract, he breached it, he was warned, he breached it again, and got what he deserved. There really isn't much more to it. If he didn't like the terms of the contract he should have never agreed to it.

I find the notion that Folau is being persecuted because of his religious beliefs bullshit. He knowingly breached his contract. It has nothing to do with his religious views, he signed a contract, he breached it, he was warned, he breached it again, and got what he deserved. There really isn't much more to it. If he didn't like the terms of the contract he should have never agreed to it.

1555846620671.png

But but but that part of the Bible about tattoos is the old testament where the law was given which got superseded in the new testament etc etc etc

Too bad 80% of the anti-homosexuality stuff also comes from Leviticus ;)

I'm betting Folau enjoys eating shellfish too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back