Scape Goat S and C team should be gone

Getlegs

Senior List
Mar 14, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didnt Bell promise a review of the medical team last year, what was the outcome of that? I dont know the names, but it shouldnt just be Webber, what does Ken Withers do? What about other senior Physios?
Who makes surgeon referrals?

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I believe it’s got just as much to do with him not hanging out with his WA mates that aren’t athletes.
You here so many athletes say that growing up and changing there lifestyle prolonged their career.
Living near your high school mates that are tradies that work hard play harder doesn’t work when your trying to change your path.( I have my worries about hogan)
Also indigenous Australians have only been exposed to ciggys booze processed sugars drugs for a micro second in the scheme of things and seems to take a heavy toll on the body.
irrespective of this view I want to turf Webber, everyone else got the arse.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didnt Bell promise a review of the medical team last year, what was the outcome of that? I dont know the names, but it shouldnt just be Webber, what does Ken Withers do? What about other senior Physios?
Four straight years we have been hit by injuries.

I bet the review hasn’t show any major stuff ups but if had two doctors to choose from I would choose the one with the better results.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apparently, when he was here and when the discussions were hot and heavy about recruiting Harley, Brad Lloyd said bringing Harley back to Mandurah/Pinjarra would be like taking a pyromaniac to the match factory.
I’m glad Brad Lloyd is out the door with that selfish attitude.

People own the good decisions and distance themselves from the bad ones.

You make a group decision and you own the decision regardless if you agree with it.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You'd struggle to find a more dedicated trainer than Bennell. The guy breathes football. But yeah, it was still his fault the useless pricks in S&C couldn't get him on the park. Nothing to see here.

Marty Whitelaw

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
Nedlands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons, LA Clippers
You'd struggle to find a more dedicated trainer than Bennell. The guy breathes football. But yeah, it was still his fault the useless pricks in S&C couldn't get him on the park. Nothing to see here.

Great post.

Ross, Pav and many others spoke about how hard he worked throughout his time at the club.

The surgery towards the end of last season and the program decided by Darren Burgess seem to be the keys.

Regardless, hope it works out for Harley and he strings some footy together.

The surgery to remove part of his calves was done when he was not under the duty of care of an AFL club.

So I hope the significant risk Harley took there is recognised if this works out, and not patting Melbourne on the back too hard - considering Burgess and Weber are business partners and I expect run the same methods because of it.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The surgery to remove part of his calves was done when he was not under the duty of care of an AFL club.

So I hope the significant risk Harley took there is recognised if this works out, and not patting Melbourne on the back too hard - considering Burgess and Weber are business partners and I expect run the same methods because of it.
You have two cooks with the same methods and same ingredients.

Do you get the same result?

The better cook if the one who can make the better decisions.

The fact is Weber and Burgess have very different results.

You have two cooks with the same methods and same ingredients.

Do you get the same result?

The better cook if the one who can make the better decisions.

The fact is Weber and Burgess have very different results.
They also have very different ingredients.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm happy for Harley.

Having said that, I'd temper all reaction until he actually gets through a few games. Didn't he play 8 or so WAFL games before his last calf with us? We were reasonable at getting him on the field but he just couldn't stay on it once we did.

The only difference so far is that Melbourne is giving him that run in the AFL rather than the VFL. Probably a fair bit of that would be due to the relative expectations of the two clubs at the time and the fact there is no VFL (and the quarters are shorter).

Genuinely hope he plays the season.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So we're sacking the S&C team? The team that oversaw the careers of the ONLY TWO players in AFL history to have played more than 300 games based out of WA.

that team? Yeah, sack em!
Some players are special and take great pride and care with their health away from the club.
should west coast Player welfare department be congratulated Because Kerr and cousins nearly played 250 games?

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
So we're sacking the S&C team? The team that oversaw the careers of the ONLY TWO players in AFL history to have played more than 300 games based out of WA.

that team? Yeah, sack em!

Way to cherry pick a stat. The list of stuff ups from the S&C team over the last 10 years is extremely long and far outweighs a couple of players who would have got to 300 games no matter where they played. Undeniably one of the worst in the competition and cost us 1-2 premierships from 2013-2015.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Way to cherry pick a stat. The list of stuff ups from the S&C team over the last 10 years is extremely long and far outweighs a couple of players who would have got to 300 games no matter where they played. Undeniably one of the worst in the competition and cost us 1-2 premierships from 2013-2015.
This

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I’m glad Brad Lloyd is out the door with that selfish attitude.

People own the good decisions and distance themselves from the bad ones.

You make a group decision and you own the decision regardless if you agree with it.

That makes no sense. How can Lloyd turn back time and change an opinion (one that proved to be correct!) before Bennell even got to the club?

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't be jumping the gun before he's even stepped out in anger in Melbourne colours.

I like the approach of getting him out in an AFL game sooner rather than later though. This would likely ease a lot of tension coming from the wait (and building to an "ideal") and help jump an emotional hurdle. Sure he still may get injured, but it's likely to ease any psychological stress that could contribute to the injury potential.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
That makes no sense. How can Lloyd turn back time and change an opinion (one that proved to be correct!) before Bennell even got to the club?
Did it prove to be correct though? People are making assumptions his lifestyle choices were impacting his rehab & conditioning. I'm not sure there's any evidence of that.

In fact, you could make a counter-argument that having the support of family and friends during the previous four years likely helped him persevere for as long as he has.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Weber is the boss. The buck stops with him.

And btw, we've reviewed our injuries etc at the end of 2016, 2018 and 2019 from what they've said to the public. I think Rosich was protecting Weber.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brad Lloyd has told the story to someone.

Sure, he was correct in his view.

Please see the below vid on the Spurs way of doing recruitment. Listen from 13:39

It’s a group decision.

Back