Media S25 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

tenor.gif
giphy.gif

Sit down mate......

last season when I did it, it was just me but I pretended to use some formula + a panel of judges that were actually in a group convo but were completely inactive after about the third week.

Oh, so it’s like the Match Review Panel?

Ding: With me today I have the past two EKA winners to share their wisdom to help out our S25 rookies. Welcome Yakker (S24 winner) and Elton Johns Wig (S23 winner). What were your thoughts going in to your rookie season?

EJW: Thoughts? Clear thoughts? There were no clear thoughts. Definite advice early...speak to your LG, often.

I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I can't even remember how I got sucked into it. Somewhere, and The Filth Wizard is the one to ask, I was recruited. Something about I support Luton and he was from there originally? He'll clear it up.

TFW: Ha ha... yeah, saw straight away he was a Luton Town fan and as one born there was able to strike up a friendship with him straight away. We then bonded over wine and music and I knew I had my first EKA medalist. I think he's a gem but that he left me the first time has been eroded as he seems to leave everybody first time. I hope we cross paths again.

Ding: While I'm here I'll ask you for your best tips to our S25 rookies.

TFW: As far as the new field, I've got some doozy's. We're adding in YearOfTheRoos, por_please_ya and General Soreness and they're all absolute guns. One of them will win the EKA and they're beating the other two. I'm currently training them to be self serving assholes and we all know I'm the best teacher.

Did other teams recruit? I know the Gumbies have met the minimum list quantity. The Bombers may have us with DayToNight and HaroKid but I dunno, we're pretty safe... as safe as the quality of the North board is to the Dogs board.

Yak: I must admit I tip toed in. I had very little idea of the whole concept of the SFA other than it was pretend. I didn't have a lot of time to to read all the media and other team threads so I pretty much just followed the lead of my fellow team mates. Luckily Mt Buller aren't to "in your face". they are more about fun banter and self depreciation. That suited my natural posting style luckily.

EJW: Wonders have recruited Sarah Smiles, Danger Zone and U2tigers. At this stage they all look really active contributors.

Ding: All three have made themselves known. Is Sarah Smiles the next Haro? Aged 13 on her profile.

EJW: She is a kid, I think it's her 14th birthday this weekend.

Yak: She is actually in year 9 this year. Dead serious.

Ding: Hopefully the SFA community find the right balance of banter vs respect towards a young girl and SS is able to understand her role in fitting in. Her LG will need to be on their toes!

EJW, looking back to S23 there were some fantastic rookies that continue to have a presence in the league. Some of the weekly Rising Star winners were PhenomenalV1, nahnah, Cheval, Argus Tuft, JackNah_8, TheCoach16 and Tony Lynn 15.
You knocked over a good field. How do you think you stack up now and who impresses you from your rookie group?

EJW: I remember at the time, people were bemoaning the lack of quality rookies in our season. You look back now, and it's a really strong group.

How do I stack up? I reckon I go ok, but it's not really up to me to tell people that. I guess beez voting and All SFA says that I'm doing alright. I'm probably back into it after a slowish start to my second season.

I really rate a lot of them actually, for different reasons.

TL15 is a star. I used to think he was a bit one dimensional, but he's not. You look at his UTH thread, it's obvious he knows what the people want. He and Coach along with KohPhi are the heartbeat of the Bombers.

The Phenom, his av suits him so well. He's got that real wrestlers self promotion and confidence. Again, I think I misunderstood him early days. He'd say the same about me, we butted heads a bit.

JackNah_8, well I tried to recruit her, so there's an indication of how highly I regard her. nahnah was extremely highly regarded at the Wonders, would have liked to play alongside him.

I haven't had as much to do with Cheval and Argus. I've enjoyed Chevals work in the UTH thread, and Argus' sense of humour doesn't go unnoticed.

I think TL15 is the one though, quality.

Yak: Not sure about previous seasons but the same was said about the S24 rookie pool. When I look back now I just didn't understand the EKA and what it was all about. It wasn't until (I think at was Ant Bear) one of my posts was responded to with "Potential EKA winner here" or something that I started to ask what was an EKA. My advice to any rookie wanting to win the award. Go and understand what it takes to win one. What is the criteria and then how will you go about it. I must admit I didn't have any strategy, I just played the game and enjoyed myself. I wasn't looking to win the award.

EJW: This is it.....if you look to win the award, it looks forced, people can sense it.

Just be yourself.

Ding: Yakker, how could the Demons not have a single rookie? Did you scare them all away?

Yak: Hardly, I'm a lovable larakin. Also I think you've overlooked our perennial Rookie sausageroll.

Ding: Who impresses you from your rookie year? You had fancyscum, D_P_S, Dawn to Dark, BEEG, xenxen, db swannie, Aramis and Dadadadaaaaaa to name a few.

Yak: I liked Fancyscum for a few reasons. 1.He was a team mate and would have his team mates back. Plenty of times he would chip in when the banter got a bit heated with something genuinely funny. 2. His timing was perfect. He didn't post a hell of a lot but when he did he was funny and the timing was spot on. 3. He has helped alot with some behind the scenes stuff. This is probably not as appreciated by the wider SFA group than it is by the admin.

D_P_S was solid. Didn't see much of him for the first 3/4 of the season and once again I wasn't even aware of an EKA so wasn't looking out for competition. Do like his style though since I've noticed his posting more.

xenxen. If the EKA was won on sheer niceness she'd have killed it

D2D and BEEG - Well. We had some "rigorous bantz" hahahaaaa. D2D and I butted heads early on but that was sorted pretty quickly and from then on we had a healthy respect for each other. I see a bright future for him if he can temper some of the aggressive in your face rhetoric with more of his creative and insightful stuff. BEEG and I went toe to toe for the whole season. I loved getting under his skin and he no doubt enjoyed getting under mine. BEEG seems to resent me for winning the EKA which I find perplexing as I didn't choose me to win it :D

The other rookies I didn't even know were rookies but have enjoyed bantering with them as I do with everyone in the SFA.

Ding: Is there anything you'd like to see in the SFA that isn't already there?

Yak: I think rookies should be paid more. I started out on only $72,000 BullerCoins per game. I could hardly afford the payments on my Range Rover after I'd purchased my humble little home up the Mountain. This really needs to be addressed.

EJW: Anything I'd like to see? Nothing really springs to mind. Maybe a rookie banter off thread in the second half of the season? It's good to play against the rookies, and there seems to be some good ones this year. But they are hard to line up when you play them weeks apart.
Something along the lines of a rookie only rumble, run by Noobz0r who loves to judge people.

Ding: You're on a desert island with three opposition players. Who are they and why?

Yak:
1. ArgusTuft - She seems to have a nautical knowledge that may help us get off the island. Also, she loves fishing so we would have a better chance of eating :D

2. Knifey Spoony - you know we are gonna need cutlery.

3. Butler - Well, I will need someone to fetch my pipe and slippers!

EJW: Wooshette Cheval JackNah_8

I mean, you're on a desert island......you're stuck there. If you surround yourself with three women, unless you luck out and strike three lesbians, you should be right, eh?

The stuff dreams are made of.....

Sweet FA Rising Star - S25

454150_12e1023fd38353d9753750b047b2f1ad.png

The criterion for this award is a combination of on field and off field performance but does favour on field stats. Each week the best rookie will be awarded the weekly Rising Star award. At the end of the season one star will shine brightest and receive the coveted Rising Star medal. It looks a really strong group of rookies this season, but who will be the stand out?

The Rising Star is a guide to how our rookies are going throughout the season with the ultimate rookie award being the EKA which is decided on Mobbenfuhrer Medal night.

EKA winners
EKA Medal (Best first-year player)
=====================
Season 08 - Keyser Soze*- this was the 'Rising Star' Award, predecessor to EKA Medal
Season 09 - Croweater41 (West Coast Wonders)
Season 10 - Zainta (Southern Dragons)
Season 11 - Reardo (Roys FFC)
Season 12 - Gus (Mt Buller Demons)
Season 13 - WishinAintGettin (Southern Dragons)
Season 14 - The Half Back (Southern Dragons)
Season 15 - pantskyle (Roys FFC)
Season 16 - Uncle_Leo (Gold City Royals)
Season 17 - Wacky Tiger (Fighting Furies)
Season 18 - brahj (Las Vegas Bears)
Season 19 - Willo_ (Roys FFC)
Season 20 - Wooshette (Coney Island Warriors)
Season 21 - Sterge (Fighting Furies)
Season 22 - tgrs (Fighting Furies)
Season 23 - Elton Johns Wig (East Side Hawks)
Season 24 - Yakker (Mount Buller Demons)
Season 25 - ?

Just FYI Willo_ was at the Gumbots when he won the EKA

R1 Possies by Rookie

1. U2tigers 25
2. YearOfTheRoos 21
3. Bob Cobb 20
4. BLERN 18
4. BombersFan93 18
4. por_please_ya 18
7. GotTheGoodes 16
7. jmoo wan 16
9. scezza 15