Media S27 - Sweet FA Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but it was cheap in Thailand, right?
Flowers ......buys you 4 hours of brownie points
Out to Dinner .....buys you 2 hours of brownie points
Overseas Trips ...buys you on average 2 weeks of brownie points

Brownie Points = no henpecking

Rising Star Round Table - Round 6
With TIF, Wayno, GG & Sab
1) Which rookies caught your eye with their posting this week and why?

TheInjuryFactory:
Warriors harry000 and leobarryustar were really sharp this week, both are flying under the radar but take it from me they're serious quality.

Cold Sober turned up, but that was it from the Dragons (besides Ace).

WaynesWorld19:
In the Bombers / Demons thread really no-one participated apart from Callum_guns
so really not much to report and generally it was Rookies that have already been nominated that I saw active around the Forum

Remembering past discussions on Edmund_Hunt & Snake_Baker and seeing their DT scores I did a search of their posting activilty last week ....really disappointed at the total inactivity

2) Which rookies performed well on the field?

TheInjuryFactory:
Hard to go past midfielder Edmund hunt's 28 disposal, 9 tackles and a goal game for the Furies. Snake_Baker's 25 touches and 10 marks off a flank probably next best.

Looking at the more active players, Huntercrow from the Gumbies is giving it a crack, his 18 touches and 11 marks on a forward flank was impressive, while my boy leobarryustar's 15 touches and a goal continued his strong start to his career at the Warriors.

WaynesWorld19:
Nothing from our match ....

3) Who is your Rising Star nomination for this week and why?

TheInjuryFactory:
leobarryustar for me, qooty performance is there and is cracking in during the week. Quality.

WaynesWorld19:
I'll go with Leobarryustar

Grumbleguts:
Agreed, leobarryustar despite the cola infested username.

Sab22:
After doing my research, I'm agreeing with TIF, Wayno and GG, I seen his posts, and his very engaging too. I don't like his user, but he had a decant game, 15 to go with a goal at CHF.

1549798653032-png.617441

Round 7

156911.jpg

leobarryustar
Coney Island Warriors

The round 7 Rising Star nominee is leobarryustar from the Coney Island Warriors. While 15 disposals and a goal in a two-point loss won't set the world on fire, the committee have rewarded a combination of consistent on- and off-field performance. Playing all seven games for the Warriors so far this season, leobarryustar has averaged 14 disposals and a goal per game from 96 minutes per game. The Warriors average 15 points per 100 minutes than their opposition while leobarryustar is on the field. I spoke with leobarryustar and Warriors' stand-in skipper, TheInjuryFactory, to discuss his nomination.

leobarryustar

Baz:
How did you find your way to the Sweet FA and the Warriors in particular?

leo:
Pretty simple, the public were begging for it and Wooshette gave me a cut of the merch.

Baz:
How have you fit in at the Warriors? Have you got any favourite teammates yet?

leo:
Its always awkward when the support team want to be friends but I get along well with pantsguy.

Baz:
What are you enjoying about the league? What aren't you enjoying?

leo:
The money is great I suppose. To be honest with you, this nomination has taken far too long. Week 7 for ****s sake, do your ******* jobs.

Baz:
Where do you see the Warriors finishing at the end of season 27?

leo:
Premiership would be nice, blah, blah, blah, but I’m more into the individual accolades these days. They make my wikipedia page really pop. For Mad Monday I’m going to rent a disabled person and do Dumb and Dumber. I’m just a total crack up like that.

Baz:
I once heard you went to an open mike night only to find it was an autopsy on a guy named Mike. How has that experience shaped your brief time in the Sweet FA?

leo:
Yeah I told this ripping joke, I said “this horror movie must be called Mike-o”. Cos it sounds like ‘Psycho’. Anyway I laughed and laughed, everyone loved it. What was the question?

Baz:
Thanks for joining me. Congrats on the nomination and good luck for the rest of the season.

TheInjuryFactory

Baz:
How has leobarryustar fit in at the Warriors so far?

TIF:
I remember the start of the year we had a few critics who panned our off season, but we're ******* rapt with our rookies at the Warriors and how they've come on. They're rippers and have found their groove really quickly, they've been strong contributors week in, week out.

leobarryustar was our first pick up for S27. Wooshette brought him in, but most of us were familiar with him from the Bay and were looking forward to see what he would bring to the club. He's definitely added some quality to our mix.

He's been a consistent performer on the qooty field too at CHF for us, great to see his consistency rewarded.

Baz:
What kind of player and poster do you think he'll be?

TIF:
He's been a great target for us this season at CHF and has complemented Raveneyes up front in our new look forward line, consistently kicking his goal a game to go with his 15 or so touches.

As a poster he's definitely a quick wit, a ******* funny campaigner and quite good on the lip. I think what you see is what you get with him, I'd expect to see him continue with his fairly brash approach and burn a fair few who take him on. He's low profile and very underrated but imo definitely in the upper echelon of the rookie crop.

Baz:
What do you hope to see from him this season and beyond?

TIF:
I think both our guys are growing in confidence with each game, and with our club in transition there's a great opportunity for them to stamp themselves as a force not only at the club, but in the competition as a whole. I don't think we need anything more from leobarryustar than he's already offering up, but with that Bay pedigree I'd love to see some media down the track.

He's a star. I'm looking forward to him making a name for himself in the Sweet FA.

Baz:
So am I, TIF. Thanks for joining me and good luck for the season from round 9.

Thank you leobarryustar, TheInjuryFactory, WaynesWorld19, grumbleguts and Sab22 for their thoughts this week

Goodonya leobarryustar :)

(but steady on with the output this weekend, now you've got the nomination - you can take it easy this week :))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1554806984585.png

ROUND 8 NOMINEE
Welcome back to the Sweet FA Rising Star, the number 1 thread for identifying and congratulating the league's best rookies. This week, Barrybran, TheInjuryFactory, WaynesWorld19 and I sat down at the round table this week to discuss rookies that had caught our eyes both on and off the field.

We sat in silence for 24 hours.

Now, the Rising Star is predominantly a playing-based award, and we tend to reward the best qooty performance of the round. But we expect strong posting to accompany it because ultimately the goal of this award is to help rookies gain prominence in the league and earn prime positions. So while we look for the best playing performances, if the rookie has not posted to a high enough standard or not posted enough then we will not consider them. We're not here to glorify inactives.

In Round 8, after just 7 nominations, we are left with just FIVE rookies who posted in last week's match threads. For a total of 30 posts. Three zero, 30 posts. Most, if not all, of the nominees in Season 26 comfortably passed that in the week of their nomination. A common yardstick for being an 'active' poster is 20 posts a week. None of our rookies cleared that yardstick.

Our best performers on the qooty field this week included Carson Dial and Edmund hunt from the Furies. 41 touches and 160 DT points between them. 0 posts between them as well. Vdubs, 20 disposals and 2 goals off the bench. No posts. CJMB, whose move to the Bombers attracted so much controversy in the off-season, picked up 17 touches and 6 marks in defence. Didn't post though. We will never give out nominations to inactives.

Our most prolific rookie this week that hasn't yet been nominated was harry000, who posted 19 times. But on the field, he had 2 disposals, both of which were behinds. How the * can we justify nominating that? How can we justify nominating middling performances from the other rookies who posted less than 10 times in a week?

We're nominating no one this round, and won't be nominating anyone until we see someone worthy enough. Last season, there were enough active rookies to comfortably nominate someone each and every round of the home and away season. In Season 27, we are sorely lacking.

So captains, get your rookies firing. They are the lifeblood of the league, and a strong rookie class has no downsides whatsoever. Just look at the impact the Season 26 class had. Send us your best, promote your best, and we will honour the best. We won't honour mediocrity, which is all we see at the moment.

Whenever I post with the Gumbies, I feel as if my username should be Pauline Hansen. I forever need to say EXPLAIN PLEASE.
Chief will gladly take your money. :thumbsu:

View attachment 651415

ROUND 8 NOMINEE
Welcome back to the Sweet FA Rising Star, the number 1 thread for identifying and congratulating the league's best rookies. This week, Barrybran, TheInjuryFactory, WaynesWorld19 and I sat down at the round table this week to discuss rookies that had caught our eyes both on and off the field.

We sat in silence for 24 hours.

Now, the Rising Star is predominantly a playing-based award, and we tend to reward the best qooty performance of the round. But we expect strong posting to accompany it because ultimately the goal of this award is to help rookies gain prominence in the league and earn prime positions. So while we look for the best playing performances, if the rookie has not posted to a high enough standard or not posted enough then we will not consider them. We're not here to glorify inactives.

In Round 8, after just 7 nominations, we are left with just FIVE rookies who posted in last week's match threads. For a total of 30 posts. Three zero, 30 posts. Most, if not all, of the nominees in Season 26 comfortably passed that in the week of their nomination. A common yardstick for being an 'active' poster is 20 posts a week. None of our rookies cleared that yardstick.

Our best performers on the qooty field this week included Carson Dial and @Edmund hunt from the Furies. 41 touches and 160 DT points between them. 0 posts between them as well. Vdubs, 20 disposals and 2 goals off the bench. No posts. CJMB, whose move to the Bombers attracted so much controversy in the off-season, picked up 17 touches and 6 marks in defence. Didn't post though. We will never give out nominations to inactives.

Our most prolific rookie this week that hasn't yet been nominated was harry000, who posted 19 times. But on the field, he had 2 disposals, both of which were behinds. How the **** can we justify nominating that? How can we justify nominating middling performances from the other rookies who posted less than 10 times in a week?

We're nominating no one this round, and won't be nominating anyone until we see someone worthy enough. Last season, there were enough active rookies to comfortably nominate someone each and every round of the home and away season. In Season 27, we are sorely lacking.

So captains, get your rookies firing. They are the lifeblood of the league, and a strong rookie class has no downsides whatsoever. Just look at the impact the Season 26 class had. Send us your best, promote your best, and we will honour the best. We won't honour mediocrity, which is all we see at the moment.
Gee whizz Dav, what are we going to do?

harry000 - you've got some zing about you, son. Perhaps turn up a little earlier than Saturday and sink the boot in, mate.

Carson Dial, Edmund hunt - you can't do anything about Richmond shitting the bed so come and prevent the Furies from shitting the bed. Tigerturbulance can't do all the heavy lifting, even if he is 245kg of love muscle.

CJMB - the great hope of the Dragons that got poached before the season began. Where the * are you? AceAndy is single-handedly keeping the Dragons afloat while you're drowning in the Bombers sea of spam

Thomas2 - We're not asking for 100 posts per week - the SpamBears are season 26 - but mate, you play for the Bears, not the Wazzas. Get in there, son!

Orasia Fantazio - fancy name but where's your game? You're a Gumby, sure, but get involved, throw your weight around. snozulu might be built like a brick shithouse but you need to be at the bottom of packs hunting for the opposition's balls.

Bluella - I've seen you about. You've got some class. You and Andy could make a great 1-2 combo but Andy can't do everything himself. Look at the last Dragons rookie who had to carry the load on their own.

el Tel - I was told the Roys had a rookie. Were they lying? Are you real? Where are you mate?

Rise up, rooks. Show us what you've got. Show us some heart, some wit, some form of a pulse. We're not asking you to be attention whores like Cadaver and WaynesWorld19. Look at TheInjuryFactory - he manages to scrape in 20 posts and still oozes class. Hell, come in and abuse Collingwood for all we care. Get amongst it young'uns. Show us what you're made of.

If you can spare time to eat, s**t, sleep, you can spare a min each day to chuck in a post, that's 7 posts, that's better than 0. It's time to show ya worth, or just **** off. Maybe step up, be the solution to SFA's inactiveness.

Be the change, its your time.

I wonder who will be the round nine nominee someone else we've never heard off... ?

The season 27 rising star committee wish to make it known publicly that there will be no rising star nomination this round. This is due to the fact that a rising star should have two qualities; they should be rising, and they should be a star. Far be it for us to state the patently obvious, but the implication of both of these criteria is that stars are seen. We aren’t talking about the billions of unseen dim points of light in distant galaxies, we are talking about those brightest of bodies that blaze across the sky - stars we notice, stars that leave their mark. As a collective group,we should wait their rising with rapt anticipation, thinking, bemused “What are they going to say next?”

Then having regaled us with their witty, banter-infused wisdom, they go out on the field and let loose with a display that cannot be ignored. We want to see them lying abed sick with leather poisoning, we want goal umpires thinking, “Dear God! NO! Not this guy, my arms are sore from all the flag waving.”

Instead from among the five possible nominees was a total of 30 posts. 30 vanilla flavoured nothing posts that were the internet equivalent of a door-knocker lightly tapping on the front door before turning away in case someone answered. 19 of these came from a single entity who troubled the game’s statistician to the tune of 2 behinds and a massive DT total of 9 points. Now maybe that’s what the coach asked of him. “Son, go out there and keep away from the contest, leave it to the good players.” But this is doubtful. That sort of nonsense is reserved for Cloud_ and the like.

As a group we’d like to see the standard improve. Back in our day, we had to pay 50 cents a day for the privilege of working in the coal mines long enough to be picked for the qooty field. We took our chances and ran with them. Yes we may have lived in carboard boxes and our fathers beat us to death every night to toughen us up, and we were woken up for training half an hour BEFORE we’d fallen asleep, but we loved it and it made men, and in some cases women, of us. We posted, we joined conversations, we added our input - we lived in a society.

The kids of today, they think the world owes them something. Lift your game rookies. We have our eye on you. Show us what you’re made of. You are what you eat, so eat a regular brilliant poster who also wins the qooty.

1549798653032-png.617441

Round 9

NajOAJc.png

No nominee

For the second week in a row the committee has decided not to nominate a player for the Rising Star award. After a poor showing by the season 27 rookie class last week, we felt a rev up would help the rookies come out of their shell. Instead, two rookies (that we know of) got dropped from their team's lineups and one even earned himself a spell from the board.

There were some positives to come from the round. Thomas2 scored a round high 95 Dream Team points with @Snake_Beaker and Huntercrow not far behind but seven posts between these three players just isn't going to cut it. Carson Dial topped all rookies yet to be nominated with 11 posts for the week. In fact, of the 18 rookies yet to be nominated, these players combined for only 33 posts for the week.

To those who have been nominated - ArdentEagle, AceAndy, Sausages, CazC30, leobarryustar, snozulu and Callums_Guns - keep up the good work. To all the other rookies, get involved and don't be afraid to shirtfront some campaigner.​

1549798653032-png.617441

Round 9

NajOAJc.png

No nominee

For the second week in a row the committee has decided not to nominate a player for the Rising Star award. After a poor showing by the season 27 rookie class last week, we felt a rev up would help the rookies come out of their shell. Instead, two rookies (that we know of) got dropped from their team's lineups and one even earned himself a spell from the board.

There were some positives to come from the round. Thomas2 scored a round high 95 Dream Team points with @Snake_Beaker and Huntercrow not far behind but seven posts between these three players just isn't going to cut it. Carson Dial topped all rookies yet to be nominated with 11 posts for the week. In fact, of the 18 rookies yet to be nominated, these players combined for only 33 posts for the week.

To those who have been nominated - ArdentEagle, AceAndy, Sausages, CazC30, leobarryustar, snozulu and Callums_Guns - keep up the good work. To all the other rookies, get involved and don't be afraid to shirtfront some campaigner.​
You could always nominate someone for a second time , I know one bloke had 127 DT points on the weekend ;):cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back