- Aug 17, 2009
- AFL Club
- Other Teams
- Southampton F.C.
It’s the dawn of a new season. Hope springs eternal in every ruck – our hopes are as high as our leaps.
Every ruck wishes to show aggression, skill and thirst for the contest. There are no squibs among us (well maybe one or two, but I won’t name names). We are a band of outcasts – misunderstood and besmirched by the broader SFA community.
But this is a position of honour and prestige. Our impact on games is proven (thanks to grumbleguts) and is measurable not only in hitouts and height, but also in match outcomes.
We deserve to recognise the strength of the league’s giants – to celebrate living our lives on the fringes and making ****tonnes of impact on Qooty matches.
Is it a circlejerk? Absolutely. Are we worthy? You know it.
This is why the concept of The Edge has been carried on for S27. The brainchild of U2tigers will see a slightly different format this year. The idea of ranking our rucks will be continued, although with a new and improved formula:
- Each round, each ruck will be given a ‘RUCKING IMPACT SCORE’ (RIS). This is a complex rating score calculated using black voodoo*.
- We’ll aim to have a quick write-up each week on spectacular rucking performances and leave the floor open for our fallen rucks to seek an abnormally large shoulder to cry on.
- Tigerturbulance will generally be a pest, using his superior interviewing skills to get into the minds of our rucks.
- Everyone who has at least one hitout in any given round will be included on our list (including usurpers, part timers and midgets).
- The RIS will be updated each week, with a rolling tally to help show the relative impact of each ruck across the course of the season.
- At the end of the season, the ruck with the highest RIS will be deemed the winner and will be able to bathe in the pungent gooey liquid glory of winning the inaugural THE EDGE trophy.
Of course, non-rucks are welcomed in here (we can’t keep the dirt people out sadly), but we reserve the right to go full ruck on you if your behaviour isn’t up to scratch. The Jesus will **** YOU UP.
Good luck to all of my ruck brothers and sisters in S27. Rest easy in the knowledge that the true impact of our presence in this league is measurable (unlike others).
*It’s really going to use a simple formula where I’m allocating ‘points’ based on your stats for each round. The formula includes positive points accumulated for hitouts and tackles (higher weighting), possessions and scoring impact (lower weighting). It contains a strongly negative points accumulation for marks, which are the ruck devil. There’s also talk of adding points for the new stat (ruck contests won differential), but we’ll consult with the stats gods.