Official Match Thread S29 Round 1 Fighting Furies vs Mt Buller Demons @ rfctigerarmy’s hippodrome (MOTR)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
1580114301262.png

Hello everyone, welcome to 2020. The start of a new year, the start of a new decade and most importantly, the start of a new Qooty season. After a successful State of Origin series, Qooty kicks off again with its 29th season. 29 seasons of Qooty, which means that we are only one season away from the 30-season milestone. We want the milestone season to be a great season, so let’s make sure that the build up to it is just as great.

It’s Round 1 and, in this match-up, the Fighting Furies will host the Mount Buller Demons at rfctigerarmy’s Hippodrome.

S28 Recap

The Furies finished the S28 home and away season strongly, sitting 2nd place on the ladder with 11 wins and 5 losses. Finals, however, were a different story. They played the Demons in the Qualifying Final and led for most of the game, before choking in the final quarter. The Furies were then forced to play the eventual premiers, the Dragons, who were rampaging their way through the final’s series. The Furies winded up one of their four victims, and went out of the S28 finals series in straight sets.

The Demons finished top four in S28 for the third consecutive season. They finished 3rd place with 10 wins, 5 losses and a draw. The Dees snuck into the Preliminary Final after upsetting the Furies at the last minute of the final quarter in the QF. They then defeated the Swamprats in the prelim, making their second Grand Final in three seasons. This time, however, they were unsuccessful and received a smashing at the hands of the Dragons.

Off Season

The Demons did not do a large amount of recruiting in the off season; however, they did recruit quality. They lost league veteran akkaps to the Swamprats and delisted Adroyo and Logger.

They added S27 Beez medallist and ex Hawk Harvey Manfrenjensenden to their ranks, who, at his best, should be a massive improvement in their posting stocks. They also added former Bomber and league veteran boncer34, a poster that, if active, should give a bit of edginess and bite to a team that is sometimes accused of being too vanilla. Lastly, they recruited a rookie by the name of markm106.

The Furies have had a very active off season, putting their focus on recruiting rookies and cutting out deadwood. Lsta062 retired and they delisted EagleOz, bgt2110 & tigertime_89 whilst bringing in biaseddustyfan, Bastyy, Piggy Smalls & JerryRapidRiser.

Last time they met

S28 QF

Fighting Furies 16.7 (103) wdb Mt Buller Demons 16.12 (108)

The Furies and Dees last faced off in a Qualifying Final battle. The Furies looked hot early and led the Dees all the way up until a few minutes to go in the last quarter. Dees veteran brucetiki saved the day with a late goal, giving the Demons the win and launching the Furies into the Semi Finals.

Hate was best on ground with 22 disposals, 8 tackles and a goal, he was supported well by Full forward The Half Back who booted 4 goals. For the winners, sausageroll kicked 4 and Tarkyn_24 and ex skipper Yakker kicked 6 between them. They were supported by strong games from mids _Cayz_ and Callums_Guns.

Skippers Interview

1580114404331.png
Throughout the week, I sat down with both the Furies and Demons captains for a little interview. Unfortunately, Tigerturbulance was too busy getting drunk with ChappyUK in England, and when I called him, I copped not only a “* off”, but also massive phone bill. Instead, I called on ex captain TJASTA to represent the Furies.

ND: Thanks for joining me Fellas, hope you’re both pumped for R1.

Mang:
Yeah, no worries ND

TJ: Why the actual * am I here? I’m not even captain, I don’t want to be associated with these losers anymore.

ND: Well, your captain is busy “bonding” with your teammate and Ned has my number blocked, who the * else is going to do this s**t?

TJ:
* up flog

ND: Ok, let’s get started. How do you each view your prospects for S29, on and off field?

TJ:
On-field, I can't see us losing a game. Give us the cup now. However, off-field, I think it's time for old TJ to change his way. I have noticed (thanks to my massive brain) that some people see me as short-tempered and quite aggressive. I think it's time for TJ to become a positive force in the league, to celebrate everything and everyone this league has to offer. I don't want to become one of the loud veterans in my old age.

ND: … “Massive” hehehe

TJ:
I Said * up

ND: Mang?

Mang:
We're a modest bunch at Mt. Buller. We're expecting to make another prelim on the field, and be our smug insular selves off the field.

ND: Yeah, insular is the Demons way. So, Mang, you’ve added some firepower into your team this season. How do you believe the additions of Harvey and Bonce will improve the Demons from a posting and qooty perspective?

Mang:
I get the sense that Harvey has some pretty big plans for the SFA this season. I'm looking forward to having his posting around the match threads and keeping us active and engaging to banter against.

As for boncer, I'm hoping that joining the Dees helps him enjoy his time in the SFA again. He's a very experienced campaigner, so I think we'll run him off a flank to help give him some longevity on the field.

ND: Interesting, moving on, TJASTA , A few seasons ago, the Furies re-branded to become less Richmond centric, now you seem to have done much of your recruiting from the Dockers board. Are the Furies becoming a Dockers team?

TJ:
I think this sort of backwards ******* thinking needs to stop. Yes, for the first time in our history, the Furies are made up of mostly non-RFC posters. However, we are quite diverse just like any other team. Were people saying 'man teh furies are recruiting heaps of hawks flogs, here come the furies hawks' in season 28? no because that’s ******* stupid. Come up with something original you *******.

ND: So Aggressive… Mang, another for you Dees have dominated the last three seasons, yet only one flag to show for it, why?

Mang:
Just like that fantasy league the AFL, we know that Qooty is a tough game. It's hard to stay up for long, and you don't get many opportunities to jag a flag.

Grand finals are bloody hard to win; we've just got to keep giving ourselves the best chance of getting a run at another flag.

But between you and me I think it's Richard_Cranium's fault.

ND: Blaming the coach. Typical Richmond supporters. Now one for both of you, which player do you expect to have a posting “break out” season?

TJ:
I don't really know too many of the posters outside of the Furies. So, I hoping that JackBero can continue of a fine rookie season and can get some aggressive in his posting game. Out of our rookies so far, I don't really know who will be the breakout. Which is weird, usually I can tell by now. Hopefully, they are all equal and cause some chaos. That would bring a tear to my eye. :'(

Mang: I reckon moginie has had a belter of a pre-season and is ready to build momentum from his rookie season. Recent recruit markm106 is Mt. Buller material, and we’re keen to see what he brings as well.

ND: Can see the breakout of acne on young Jack already, that’s for sure. Ok, since it’s a banter forum, it wouldn’t be an interview without you both insulting each other. Please insult each other using two words only.

TJ:
Dickless scum*

Mang: Chartered Accountant

ND: Ok, thank you very much TJASTA and manangatang for your time. All the best for S29. Any last words?

TJ:
Again, Why the fu** am I still doing this s**t? I quit being captain so I could go be irrelevant in peace. But yet here I am, still doing all of the Furies media s**t, washing and recruiting. Turbo better enjoy those baguettes, because he will be a busy boy when he comes back.

Mang: Tittybong is particularly lovely at this time of year. Take the time to go to the tumbleweed museum - you won’t be disappointed.

Prediction

Demons by 18 points

Captains, please remember to post your team sheets by Thursday 11.59pm AEDT.

Thanks to TheInjuryFactory for the graphics

Last edited:

Well well well my first game in the red and the blue and I face my oldest foes the ******* Furies, most of my team mates wouldn't now I made their best ever poster retire.

Is Ned_Flanders still salty I said he wasn't committee worthy?

But TJASTA is still posting - even in this very thread?!

Hey markm106 - our first match thread for the season is up. Come by and say hello.

We’re up against the Furies.

They’re... interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back