Event S30 Rookie “Torch of the Year” Award [Rising Star]

Remove this Banner Ad

Winner: R8
torch r8.jpg

Kinshasa, Zaire. 30th October 1974. A boxing match between heavyweight champion and grill aficionado George Foreman and his challenger, former heavyweight champion, shitposter extraordinaire and Will Smith lookalike Muhammad Ali is underway. For seven and a half rounds the younger Foreman has been throwing punch after punch at the older Ali, knowing that if one of those punches connects then the fight is over. In a tactic dubbed the 'rope-a-dope', Ali withstands the blows.

round 8d.gif

Then as the 8th round comes to an end, Ali makes his move. Against the odds, against a tiring champion, Ali knocks out Foreman to reclaim the heavyweight championship of the World.

round 8e.gif

So too have the contenders for the round 8 Torch of the Season nomination withstood some ferocious blows over the previous seven and a half rounds. One though will emerge victorious. Let's see which one is the rope and which ones are the dopes.

Wunderkind Elmer_Judd is back from Banhammer and let the Furies know all about it. Young Bomber and former Gun nominee kickthething brought the wisdom of Sun Tsu, Duncan Fearnley and Kim Kardashian to the table. The Coriander Kid, MC Bad Genius of the Dragons backed up his effort of last week with more delicacies from his menu. Bear cub Muddiemoose took a step through the usual wardrobe of banter and presented an insight into his colourful medical history in a series of posts that have been dubbed 'The Chronicles of Numnut'. Finally there's BJO barman BLUEALLTHRU. Little Roy has continued his solid posting form and now finds himself back on the selection table.

There's an old saying that goes along the lines of 'That which doesn't break you makes you stronger'. It was appropriate for Muhammad Ali at that point in time, just as it is now for this week's Torch nominee. Please give it up for Muddiemoose!

torch moose.jpg

Bears captain Test Tickle is still out providing Christmas handshakes, so along with this week's nominee I again spoke with vice captain MWPP:

Bob: Hello again MW. Been a big week for the Bears in the Rising Star community, with tony getting a Gun nomination and now Muddiemoose taking out the Torch nomination. How does it feel?

MWPP: It feels great, but this time the main feeling is pride, as we feel incredibly proud of our trio of amigos. As before, guero's wit and humour speaks for itself whilst tony epitomizes quality over quantity as 30 posts of his are worth 300 from others. Muddiemoose has been a revelation but also a victim of different standards compared to other rookies after a massive preseason. Moose has put in a mountain of work each week and was very unlucky to have missed out prior to now, but he is finally being rewarded.

Bob: Congrats on getting Muddiemoose to Las Vegas. Where did you find him, and how are they settling in?

MWPP: Again, credit must go to the Serpents' LG for luring him into the league before a breakthrough practice match with the Serpents showed some of the reasons why Moose would be a great fit for us if the Serpents didn't get up (affinity with animals, mentoring from our new recruit U2tigers and great chemistry with our other rookies/current players). He has slotted in beautifully not just in threads, but in our team chat, and has become a big part of our club.

Bob: What has his posting style been like?

MWPP: If I could pick one word to describe it - diverse. Often unfairly typecast for just posting moose gifs (which are great), he does far more than that. The energy/enthusiasm shown in the offseason has continued, but he has also fully embraced the Bears' team spirit and is never afraid to fly the flag for our team. His banter with our rookies and some opposition ones has been entertaining. On a more serious note and as a doctor and patient in life, I've really admired how he has spoken honestly/openly about real life challenges too. He has been an inspiration in threads and also behind the scenes.

Bob: We've spoken lots already your three rookies in previous interviews for tony and dual nominee guero, and you've discussed rookies from other teams. So let's take it a step further. How do this season's rookies, and your three cubs in particular, stack up against rookie cohorts from previous seasons? Before you answer, remember that one such rookie cohort has direct control on who this season's Rising Star will be, but don't let that influence you.

MWPP: Very favorably compared to recent strong cohorts bar perhaps the bumper S26 crop, but that's unsurprising. We should all thank the efforts of our expansion promoters for growing the league in this way, and also to many of the expansion rookies for not just staying on, but wholeheartedly embracing their new teams . Many of them entered with some unofficial/preseason qooty experience too which has stood them in great stead. From a Bears perspective, to have all 3 of our stooges firing and bouncing off each other is a unique experience , and one that few other clubs have had the privilege of. More broadly the EKA looms as a close, multihorse race this year (unlike other seasons where by this point, it has come down to just 2-3 realistic candidates), and I'm really looking forward to the race heating up too.

Totally agree, season 29 were the greatest rookie year on record! Cheers MW, now let's turn to the moose of the moment:

Bob: Hello Numnut. Congratulations on receiving a Torch of the Week nomination. Must feel good to finally get a nomination after some strong posting performances in recent weeks. What path did you take to get to the SFA, and where did you first hear about it?

Muddiemoose: Thanks Bob! About bloody time and about 7 rounds late imo but better late than never.

haydo was the first person to draw me into this weird and wonderful place after I started venturing out of the Richmond board (of which I’m a little bit of a local celebrity) I was posting in the video games thread I believe and he reached out to me about joining a new team he planned on submitting. We now know that team as the failed expansion bid as the Death Valley Serpents.

Bob: What are your first impressions of the place? Are Test Tickle, MWPP & the Bears looking after you?

Muddiemoose: I absolutely love the place, I find it a great place to just talk sh*t and engage in some good faith banter plus I’ve developed friendships with posters that I would never of engaged with otherwise.

Test Tickle, MWPP and for that matter Metalcrusher have all been fantastic! They are all very different types of posters and people that have all supported me no matter what and not tried to make me post any certain way but are always happy to lend an ear (or an eyeball) and listen to what I have to say although I’m new to the place.

Bob: A feature of your posting last week was your humourous yet candid depiction of your medical history, which I want to thank you for sharing. Well most of it anyway! Is there anything that you wanted to say to the wider SFA about that?

Muddiemoose: Yeah I am very candid about my medical history and experience as a testicular cancer survivor and the challenges and procedures it raised, I think it lends to my posting style of often blurring the line of my persona and real life personality and experience.

I could of saved myself a lot of pain if I was more proactive in listening to my body instead of being a typical male with the she will be right mentality and if my candid posting can help break down some barriers to make people more aware of their own physical and mental health by sharing my story and having a laugh along the way it’s worth it.

Bob: Love it mate!! How do you prepare for a match thread?

Muddiemoose: I try to take each match thread as it comes at this point being a rookie I try not to have any pre conceived ideas of who I might be up against so I genuinely just go with the flow and try and engage with a few members of the other teams leadership group (like a prison I like to get the attention of the big fish to assert my dominance) I also like to bring my fellow s30 rookie class into the fray.

In typical moose style I have elected myself somewhat of a mouthpiece and leader of our class so I like to fly the flag or knock them down any chance I get.

Bob: Sounds a lot like somebody else I know! [turns to camera and winks] What would you like to achieve off field during your SFA career? Have you ventured into the world of media yet?

Muddiemoose: I definitely feel I can be a club leader at some point in my career my posting and qooty stands up but it’s what I bring off the field in the team chat is what I’m especially proud of. I love looking after my team mates and ensuring they are having fun and being comfortable posting knowing that I will always fly the flag for them but they can always Come to me anything qooty or irl related and I will lend an eyelid and some friendly advice or a joke.

I have dipped my toe in media and I’ve been planning on a few things it’s only a matter of time before putting myself out in that regard again.

Bob: Have there been any other teams that have stood out for you in the match threads or posters that you like the look of?

Muddiemoose: I think the team that stood out to me the most was the Royals. It was the most invested I have been in a match thread and the entire concept of the BC fascinates me, throw in some extra drama around the edges with some genuine quality posters and The Bears V Royals has definitely been a personal highlight for me.

Bob: You've formed a bond with the other two Stooges in guero and tony. How has the chemistry been between the three of you, and among the s30 rookie group in general?

Muddiemoose: Man. tony and guero are the perfect rookie teammates for me.

I met tony back in the serpents pm and we instantly clicked he hasn’t got huge posting numbers but when he posts it’s always gold he is easily the most talented rookie in our crop with his custom gifs starting to get the attention of the wider SFA community.

Guero I had never interacted with until the pre season but I had heard he had a great reputation from playing warewolf he is extremely witty and somewhat of a wordsmith with his ability to write haiku poems with ease.

As for the rest of the class like I mentioned before I have elected myself a de facto leader of our crop and couldn’t be more proud of how we all bring each other into each other’s match threads and watch each other’s back.

Bob: Have you clashed with any teams, or have you found a nemesis yet?

Muddiemoose: I wouldn’t say I have really clashed with any teams thus far although I definitely feel the Royals and Bears have a lot still to work out on the qooty field.

My arch nemesis would be none other than Mister M. We were always on a collision course and had our first dust up at expansion exhibition game with M being one of the most vocal Vampire rookies and myself a lippy Serpent.

torch trophy moose.jpg

Moose Bomaye! Moose Bomaye!

Great work Numnut! Congrats again, here's your miniature novelty trophy.

That's now half of the nominations dispensed. Happy with who we've selected so far? Anyone stiff? Please feel free to leave a comment below, and the Rising Star Committee will do their absolute best to ignore it.

delete.png

Fine. See you next time.

Last edited:
View attachment 970348

Kinshasa, Zaire. 30th October 1974. A boxing match between heavyweight champion and grill aficionado George Foreman and his challenger, former heavyweight champion, shitposter extraordinaire and Will Smith lookalike Muhammad Ali is underway. For seven and a half rounds the younger Foreman has been throwing punch after punch at the older Ali, knowing that if one of those punches connects then the fight is over. In a tactic dubbed the 'rope-a-dope', Ali withstands the blows.

View attachment 970359

Then as the 8th round comes to an end, Ali makes his move. Against the odds, against a tiring champion, Ali knocks out Foreman to reclaim the heavyweight championship of the World.

View attachment 970363

So too have the contenders for the round 8 Torch of the Season nomination withstood some ferocious blows over the previous seven and a half rounds. One though will emerge victorious. Let's see which one is the rope and which ones are the dopes.

Wunderkind Elmer_Judd is back from Banhammer and let the Furies know all about it. Young Bomber and former Gun nominee kickthething brought the wisdom of Sun Tsu, Duncan Fearnley and Kim Kardashian to the table. The Coriander Kid, MC Bad Genius of the Dragons backed up his effort of last week with more delicacies from his menu. Bear cub Muddiemoose took a step through the usual wardrobe of banter and presented an insight into his colourful medical history in a series of posts that have been dubbed 'The Chronicles of Numnut'. Finally there's BJO barman BLUEALLTHRU. Little Roy has continued his solid posting form and now finds himself back on the selection table.

There's an old saying that goes along the lines of 'That which doesn't break you makes you stronger'. It was appropriate for Muhammad Ali at that point in time, just as it is now for this week's Torch nominee. Please give it up for Muddiemoose!

View attachment 970381

Bears captain Test Tickle is still out providing Christmas handshakes, so along with this week's nominee I again spoke with vice captain MWPP:

Bob: Hello again MW. Been a big week for the Bears in the Rising Star community, with tony getting a Gun nomination and now Muddiemoose taking out the Torch nomination. How does it feel?

MWPP: It feels great, but this time the main feeling is pride, as we feel incredibly proud of our trio of amigos. As before, guero's wit and humour speaks for itself whilst tony epitomizes quality over quantity as 30 posts of his are worth 300 from others. Muddiemoose has been a revelation but also a victim of different standards compared to other rookies after a massive preseason . Moose has put in a mountain of work each week and was very unlucky to have missed out prior to now, but he is finally being rewarded.

Bob: Congrats on getting Muddiemoose to Las Vegas. Where did you find him, and how are they settling in?

MWPP: Again, credit must go to the Serpents' LG for luring him into the league before a breakthrough practice match with the Serpents showed some of the reasons why Moose would be a great fit for us if the Serpents didn't get up (affinity with animals, mentoring from our new recruit U2tigers and great chemistry with our other rookies/current players) . He has slotted in beautifully not just in threads, but in our team chat, and has become a big part of our club.

MWPP: If I could pick one word to describe it- diverse. Often unfairly typecast for just posting moose gifs (which are great), he does far more than that. The energy/enthusiasm shown in the offseason has continued, but he has also fully embraced the Bears' team spirit and is never afraid to fly the flag for our team. His banter with our rookies and some opposition ones has been entertaining. On a more serious note and as a doctor and patient in life, I've really admired how he has spoken honestly/openly about real life challenges too. He has been an inspiration in threads and also behind the scenes.

Bob: We've spoken lots already your three rookies in previous interviews for tony and dual nominee guero, and you've discussed rookies from other teams. So let's take it a step further. How do this season's rookies, and your three cubs in particular, stack up against rookie cohorts from previous seasons? Before you answer, remember that one such rookie cohort has direct control on who this season's Rising Star will be, but don't let that influence you.

MWPP: Very favorably compared to recent strong cohorts bar perhaps the bumper S26 crop, but that's unsurprising. We should all thank the efforts of our expansion promoters for growing the league in this way, and also to many of the expansion rookies for not just staying on, but wholeheartedly embracing their new teams . Many of them entered with some unofficial/preseason qooty experience too which has stood them in great stead. From a Bears perspective, to have all 3 of our stooges firing and bouncing off each other is a unique experience , and one that few other clubs have had the privilege of. More broadly the EKA looms as a close, multihorse race this year (unlike other seasons where by this point, it has come down to just 2-3 realistic candidates), and I'm really looking forward to the race heating up too.

Totally agree, season 29 were the greatest rookie year on record! Cheers MW, now let's turn to the moose of the moment:

Bob: Hello Numnut. Congratulations on receiving a Torch of the Week nomination. Must feel good to finally get a nomination after some strong posting performances in recent weeks. What path did you take to get to the SFA, and where did you first hear about it?

Muddiemoose: Thanks Bob! About bloody time and about 7 rounds late imo but better late than never.

haydo was the first person to draw me into this weird and wonderful place after I started venturing out of the Richmond board (of witch I’m a little bit of a local celebrity) I was posting in the video games thread I believe and he reached out to me about joining a new team he planned on submitting. We now know that team as the failed expansion bid as the Death Valley Serpents.

Bob: What are your first impressions of the place? Are Test Tickle, MWPP & the Bears looking after you?

Muddiemoose: I absolutely love the place, I find it a great place to just talk sh*t and engage in some good faith banter plus I’ve developed friendships with posters that I would never of engaged with otherwise.

Test Tickle, MWPP and for that matter Metalcrusher have all been fantastic! They are all very different types of posters and people that have all supported me no matter what and not tried to make me post any certain way but are always happy to lend an ear (or an eyeball) and listen to what I have to say although I’m new to the place.

Bob: A feature of your posting last week was your humourous yet candid depiction of your medical history, which I want to thank you for sharing. Well most of it anyway! Is there anything that you wanted to say to the wider SFA about that?

Muddiemoose: Yeah I am very candid about my medical history and experience as a testicular cancer survivor and the challenges and procedures it raised, I think it lends to my posting style of often blurring the line of my persona and real life personality and experience.

I could of saved myself a lot of pain if I was more proactive in listening to my body instead of being a typical male with the she will be right mentality and if my candid posting can help break down some barriers to make people more aware of their own physical and mental health by sharing my story and having a laugh along the way it’s worth it.

Muddiemoose: I try to take each match thread as it comes at this point being a rookie I try not to have any pre conceived ideas of who I might be up against so I genuinely just go with the flow and try and engage with a few members of the other teams leadership group (like a prison I like to get the attention of the big fish to assert my dominance) I also like to bring my fellow s30 rookie class into the fray.

In typical moose style I have elected myself somewhat of a mouthpiece and leader of our class so I like to fly the flag or knock them down any chance I get.

Bob: Sounds a lot like somebody else I know! [turns to camera and winks] What would you like to achieve off field during your SFA career? Have you ventured into the world of media yet?

Muddiemoose: I definitely feel I can be a club leader at some point in my career my posting and qooty stands up but it’s what I bring off the field in the team chat is what I’m especially proud of. I love looking after my team mates and ensuring they are having fun and being comfortable posting knowing that I will always fly the flag for them but they can always Come to me anything qooty or irl related and I will lend an eyelid and some friendly advice or a joke.

I have dipped my toe in media and I’ve been planning on a few things it’s only a matter of time before putting myself out in that regard again.

Bob: Have there been any other teams that have stood out for you in the match threads or posters that you like the look of?

Muddiemoose: I think the team that stood out to me the most was the royals, It was the most invested I have been in a match thread and the entire concept of the BC fascinates me, throw in some extra drama around the edges with some genuine quality posters and The Bears V Royals has definitely been a personal highlight for me.

Bob: You've formed a bond with the other two Stooges in guero and tony. How has the chemistry been between the three of you, and among the s30 rookie group in general?

I met tony back in the serpents pm and we instantly clicked he hasn’t got huge posting numbers but when he posts it’s always gold he is easily the most talented rookie in our crop with his custom gifs starting to get the attention of the wider SFA community.

Guero I had never interacted with until the pre season but I had heard he had a great reputation from playing warewolf he is extremely witty and somewhat of a wordsmith with his ability to write haiku poems with ease.

As for the rest of the class like I mentioned before I have elected myself a de facto leader of our crop and couldn’t be more proud of how we all bring each other into each other’s match threads and watch each other’s back.

Muddiemoose: I wouldn’t say I have really clashed with any teams thus far although I definitely feel the Royals and Bears have a lot still to work out on the qooty field.

My arch nemesis would be none other than Mister M. We were always on a collision course and had our first dust up at expansion exhibition game with M being one of the most vocal Vampire rookies and myself a lippy Serpent.

View attachment 970428

That's now half of the nominations dispensed. Happy with who we've selected so far? Anyone stiff? Please feel free to leave a comment below, and the Rising Star Committee will do their absolute best to ignore it.

View attachment 970442

Fine. See you next time.

That is AWESOME.

Congratulations Muddiemoose!

To celebrate your achievement of joining the Torch Noms I have purchased a small present for you.

View attachment 970348

View attachment 970359

View attachment 970363

View attachment 970381

MWPP: It feels great, but this time the main feeling is pride, as we feel incredibly proud of our trio of amigos. As before, guero's wit and humour speaks for itself whilst tony epitomizes quality over quantity as 30 posts of his are worth 300 from others. Muddiemoose has been a revelation but also a victim of different standards compared to other rookies after a massive preseason. Moose has put in a mountain of work each week and was very unlucky to have missed out prior to now, but he is finally being rewarded.

MWPP: Again, credit must go to the Serpents' LG for luring him into the league before a breakthrough practice match with the Serpents showed some of the reasons why Moose would be a great fit for us if the Serpents didn't get up (affinity with animals, mentoring from our new recruit U2tigers and great chemistry with our other rookies/current players). He has slotted in beautifully not just in threads, but in our team chat, and has become a big part of our club.

MWPP: If I could pick one word to describe it - diverse. Often unfairly typecast for just posting moose gifs (which are great), he does far more than that. The energy/enthusiasm shown in the offseason has continued, but he has also fully embraced the Bears' team spirit and is never afraid to fly the flag for our team. His banter with our rookies and some opposition ones has been entertaining. On a more serious note and as a doctor and patient in life, I've really admired how he has spoken honestly/openly about real life challenges too. He has been an inspiration in threads and also behind the scenes.

haydo was the first person to draw me into this weird and wonderful place after I started venturing out of the Richmond board (of which I’m a little bit of a local celebrity) I was posting in the video games thread I believe and he reached out to me about joining a new team he planned on submitting. We now know that team as the failed expansion bid as the Death Valley Serpents.

Muddiemoose: I think the team that stood out to me the most was the Royals. It was the most invested I have been in a match thread and the entire concept of the BC fascinates me, throw in some extra drama around the edges with some genuine quality posters and The Bears V Royals has definitely been a personal highlight for me.

View attachment 970428

View attachment 970442

Fine. See you next time.

Interview #16, but it still feels fresh. That’s amazing!

Mate, the S30 Rising Star has reached the halfway point in great form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nominees: R9

ROUND 9
THE NOMINEES

WON-ROY, BLUEALLTHRU (ROY)

"Close, but BAT was ultimately better again."

CIW-GUM, FootyGuy13 (CIW)

"An obvious choice."

SCS-DEM, Toump Ass (DEM)

"An unofficial debut. Surprising performance."

BOM-LVB, kickthething (BOM)

"Went through the week like a clockwork."

DRA-GCR, MC Bad Genius (DRA)

"MCBG is pushing hard for the Torch."

---

WHO IS GOING TO BE THIS WEEK'S “TORCH”?

Justifications: R9

"WHY SHOULD THIS ROOKIE BE THE TORCH?!"

Each week, Committee members must justify their choices of match thread winners. This not only helps us choosing who wins the Torch, but it also works as reference for all the rookies on what it is expected from them in the match threads.

This is what it was said about each one of the nominees this round:

kickthething
The Bombers vs Bears saw kickthething produce another fine posting performance. We're still trying to iron out his accommodating side ...

Hello Bears, hope you campaigners are up for it this week. We are on a one match winning streak so momentum is on our side. Whoever is playing down back, being its our home game I will bring the hip flask, just let me know what your poison is.

And divulged part of the Bombers' plans for league wide domination ...

We had Metalcrusher running interference for us, after his first report back we realised there is no need to bother.

He understands the motivating factors behind the behaviour of a certain posting type ...

Metalcrusher whats up, sounds like you also may be on your woman cycle.

And was ever keen to offer advice. Perhaps from experience?

Keep it on the quiet, but you might find one of these useful looking at the size of your hand.

1600848195455-png.968954

He was happy to share an anecdote of his home life. I'm thinking it's about his home life anyway ...

Milk straight out of the cow ain't that great either, she kept making me drink it though.

And he was happy to take aim at Test Tickle ...

Metalcrusher you have been doing a fair bit of prancing in front of your rookies which has been cute to watch, how do you handle someone boycotting a thread, what would your advice be?

Another fine week and if kickthething's Torch win doesn't come this week, I'm sure he'll be pumped up for his next chance at the prize :thumbsu:

FootyGuy13
Everybody loves stats. And nobody provides stats as well as FootyGuy13.

It took him a while to figure out who and/or what his opposition were:

FootyGuy13 said:

So, can someone explain to me what a Gumbie is? I liked that Tracy McBean cartoon as much as the next guy, but I didn't think someone would make a team based around a schoolyard insult.
FootyGuy13 said:

Finally, an answer. You know, you'd think asking about a team's identity would yield a quick response, not a 14-hour wait from someone not associated with the club.

So that's brings the next question, why couldn't the Gumbies give a straight answer for what they are? Did they forget the foundation they were built on, or are they a team of rejects no one wants and so picked a reject name? I'll presume both until further notice.

Oh, and dibs on the car.

Once he found out the stats flowed like sweet sweet wine:

FootyGuy13 said:

Okay, now that I know what I'm looking out with these guys, time to release the stats...
View attachment 969410
Oh...oh dear, no...that's a lot of blue at the top.
So it appears that there's a few players at the Gumbies that tend to turn it up to 11 when the Warriors are in town. Luckily for the Warriors, the Top 2 on the list aren't here anymore, with jmoo wan now a Demon, and haydo now a Serpent Swamprat Wonder. That however still leaves @Rodney Dangerfield and @Barrybran to be the best Gumbies out there, just above @Raveneyes . Now I have that Eric Carmen song playing.

Also, in honour of Mr. Dangerfield, I've compiled the Worst 10 players from the previous 2 games.
View attachment 969409
Took out of that what you will.

Hail hail the statsman!

BLUEALLTHRU
The Roys' BLUEALLTHRU has only been in the SFA for 9 rounds now, but you can tell that he's getting a good feel for the place. He's also building up a bit of a reputation of his own, with a unique way with words complimenting his style of posting.

BLUEALLTHRU said:

Hi @ClarkeM sorry to say your lot couldn't buy a Root in a brothel. Nice write up @Agent93 :thumbsu::thumbsu:

To the rest of the Wonders it's nice to meet you all.
BLUEALLTHRU said:

He's not gonna miss much to be honest. This has annihilation written all over it. @Mooch to kick 12 with 70% game time and @3KZ is Football to rack up 27 plus and @JackNah_8 to destroy whoever rucks at your sh*t truck team.
BLUEALLTHRU said:

I can see why you are at 15 in @Tony Lynn 15 thread. Post is just....lacking and that's being nice.
BLUEALLTHRU said:

Titles and awards mean fu** all to me mate. I just see a washed up poster trying to maintain his dignity.

I'll continue to give you sh*t campaigner and I'll ******* enjoy it.

BLUEALLTHRU is also laying claim to the role of SFA's official bartender:

BLUEALLTHRU said:

Wonders are there any good bars around the area?
BLUEALLTHRU said:

Away game and all, nothing stops the BJO free piss week in honour of @fitzroybowiedog 250th. You all know I could not give a flying fu** for awards or achievements @ClarkeM . This week we can celebrate a true man of this competition. I will be pouring nectar of the Gods all week. I may still turn up on game day but I'm extremely pissed as you all can understand.
BLUEALLTHRU said:

Mate it's ******* going off here. @fitzroybowiedog is absolutely in his element on the karaoke.The Bar is open all week, free piss! Hours are 12-6, 6.20-12, 12.20-6 and 6.15-12. If your free and not an alcoholic come and give me a hand.
BLUEALLTHRU said:

Some eat and some drink mate. If your free it's ******* bezerk here @Mobbs is interrogating some up and coming gamer freak. @RobR is ******* blitzed trying to take on two dwarfs and @TedDougChris is running a good speech with the other 100 odd from the SFA that have turned up to see a no nonsense real champion of the game @fitzroybowiedog . Not you @ClarkeM !
BLUEALLTHRU said:

@RobR and myself were hoping you could join us and dust off a few frothies down at the BJO. Rob is here till 8pm and I sleep here. It's free piss week in aid of @fitzroybowiedog 250th. We might even have a chat about getting you over to the Roys. There isn't enough Carlton on our list at the moment!
BLUEALLTHRU said:

@I bleed Blue come And have a few pots tonight and settle the nerves mate. 1st game at very proud club is daunting, but I knew there was something about you when I sent out the PM. 2nd club and a chance for redemption! We've got your back.

Unfortunately for his Torch chances though, he likes to dabble with coriander in his cooking:

BLUEALLTHRU said:

I make a fantastic Roast Pork with crackle roll with fresh chilli, coriander, cucumber and a sweet mayo sauce. It's divine.

He's also starting to gather a bit of a fan club:

BLUEALLTHRU said:

I gotta do something. I bought a 1000 BLUEALLTHRU badges for the fans to purchase and I still have 997 left. I gave 2 to you and I wear one:'(

Whilst also picking up on how the rest of the SFA thinks of Grand Uncle Horace and ClarkeM:

BLUEALLTHRU said:

I'm looking forward to knocking @Grand Uncle Horace teeth out in the opening minutes like my mate big Nick;)
BLUEALLTHRU said:

This was a good one from the BJO last night.

@ClarkeM walked in last night with a gun in his hand.

"Who the fu** had sex with my wife?" He snarled

A voice from the back of the bar piped up.

"You haven't got enough bullets campaigner":p

One thing is reasonable clear though: BLUEALLTHRU is not here to fu** spiders!

MC Bad Genius
Still recovering after being robbed of a Torch nomination a few weeks back, MC Bad Genius was back at it this week against the Royals.

He started off by showing his creative side, with a little story about Kennedy Parker:

MC Bad Genius said:

A mighty dragon who went by the name of @AceAndy swooped down from the sky and burnt a defenseless village to the ground, so the inhabitants of Gold City, situated just across the river appeal to their great leader @Kennedy Parker, a mighty knight, to go forth and slay the beast. Despite the obvious folly of his quest, the brave @Kennedy Parker dons his strongest breastplate, arms himself with his finest sword and shield and rides upon his fearsome horse @The Filth Wizard to battle the dragon.

He comes to the area where the beast was last seen, and finds a great cave embedded in the rocky hills. Unfazed by the darkness and his own sense of fear, @Kennedy Parker dismounts his loyal steed and strides into the cavernous depths of the cave. As soon as he steps inside, he hears the deafening breathing that could only be made by the dragon. @Kennedy Parker unsheathes his sword and shouts: "I am @Kennedy Parker and I have come for your head, you foul beast! Come out @AceAndy and face me!"

A voice like thunder responds: "No! I won't fight you, you gutless swine! Go away and leave me be!"

@Kennedy Parker walks twenty metres deeper into the cave, and yells again: "Arise, you repugnant fiend! I have come to slay you. Show yourself and prepare to fight to the death!"

Once again the thunderous voice answers: "No! I have no interest in fighting you. Go away and let me sleep!"

Buoyed by the dragon's reluctance to fight, the hero of Gold City walks another twenty metres into the darkness. He starts rapping his sword on his shield and waving his torch back and forth into the seemingly endless void and screams at the top of his lungs: "@AceAndy, you loathsome brute! You are a cowardly lizard not fit to lick @The Filth Wizard's sh*t off my boots! For your devilish destruction of the village across the river, you have sentenced to death! So show yourself so I can end your worthless and craven existence!"

Silence.

Finally, the dragon sighs and responds: "Fine, @Kennedy Parker. I shall fight you, but on one condition."

"And what is that?" our amoured hero replies, with a faint smile of self-satsisfaction.

"@Kennedy Parker, get the hell out of my arsehole."

Before delving into the inevitable pop-culture discussion of a Dragons-Royals match thread. And by pop-culture I actually mean fantasy novels and TV sitcoms, starting with Harry Potter and The Magician:

MC Bad Genius said:

I remember reading the first one and thinking it was just a kids book, then the second one was a bit more grown-up but at the same time quite stupid plot-wise. Book 3 was good, but the fourth one was fantastic. Sure, it's not at the same level as LOTR, but it was a quite brilliant fantasy novel, I thought. 5 was good too, but 6 was a bit too much a rehash of the first five and I never bothered to read the last one. They all die, right?

MC Bad Genius said:

No, not heard of it before. Can you give a quick synopsis?

Also, bear in mind apart from LOTR, my only fantasy reading has been Terry Pratchett ... which is obviously more of a satire of fantasy than true fantasy.

Before a rather sudden change of direction when Filthy mentioned the Fappening:

MC Bad Genius said:

Tried the BF search bar and come up with nothing. I feel like you're leading us astray.

Before returning to normality with discussions on the quality of Friends, Schitt's Creek, Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MC Bad Genius said:

It must get better over the 6 season, because i watched the half of the first season and it was really, really bad.

MC Bad Genius said:

I think this was why I was so disappointed with it. Those films are some of the funniest things I've ever seen and Schitt's Creek just felt really forced or overacted or something I can't quite put my finger on.

MC Bad Genius said:

Well, I will tell you this, Michael. I don’t have a son. But if I ever do, I’m either going to take him to the cabin in the woods, or I’m going to promise to take him and then not take him. But the one thing that I will never do is not tell him that I’m taking him to a cabin in the woods, and then not take him!

MC Bad Genius said:

It's dated worse than Seinfeld and wasn't nearly as funny to begin with. Give it up.

Curb is top shelf. One of the best of all-time.

Food got a mention again, but with not a mention of coriander this time:

MC Bad Genius said:

I made a rack of lamb (with a mustard, rosemary and thyme coating) with roast veggies, but had to leave it halfway through cooking to take my wife up to the hospital. We had hospital sandwiches and a bag of nuts from the vending machine instead.

MC Bad Genius said:

If you need some guac, I know a guy ...

Pre-game talk with Blacky got a bit steamy.

MC Bad Genius said:

That's not what you said while sharing a post-coital cigarette with me two weeks ago ...

MC Bad Genius said:

I haven't heard a better summation of life than "really tired and yet somehow horny".

Before the Sunday came and reminded everyone that we're at its mercy and that anyone can kick the ball as Hatchy1992 on their day.

MC Bad Genius said:

We've both got major white line fever, so things could get pretty ugly down our end. Coincidentally, it's white line fever that lead to our tête-à-tête a couple of weeks back too ...

MC Bad Genius said:

Damn it. Which one of you jokers swapped my boots with @Hatchy1992?

MC Bad Genius said:

I think you might a have handed me some Spitcoal votes too. When I came back on the field, got out marked twice, then dropped a sitter and turned it over so much, the coach just popped a Royals guernsey on over my Dragons one to help my teammates remember not to kick the ball anywhere near me.

A great week in the thread for MC, followed by a shocker on the field. Is this the week he finally gets the nom?

Toump Ass
Round 9 was only the third time Toump Ass has posted in match threads. In the previous two, his posting skills weren’t enough to call the committee’s attention. This has changed.

After three weeks away from the league, Toump Ass has finally returned. We knew there was something different, when he showed up excited:
Ripper, in the half back flank! Just call me Brayshaw!

Among debates on players and helmets, including comics characters and cute pets, and on food, Toump Ass got surprised when he found out there are wealthy Melbourne’s supporters:
Goddamn! Found this at my local asian grocery store... $15 a packet? That's half my weekly grocery budget!

You throwing it on top of bluefin tuna and caviar or what?

He is still getting used to how the match-threads’work…
Whoo hooo!
Sorry still celebrating my goal.

Can't believe we dropped that!!!

But, I wouldn't worry, it’s all part of growing up in this league. At least, he was getting along with the opposition:
A backhanded compliment is still a compliment. I'll take it, thanks Firestarter!

Had to google Pyatak. Sounds delightful.

Those interactions made him the best rookie in the Swamprats-Demons match. Hopefully, Toump Ass will stay among us and keep improving.

Welcome to the big leagues, rookie!

Last edited:
Very grateful to even be nominated for a Torch. Easily the best thing that's happened to me since the Victorian Premier locked me inside of my mum's basement. I hope I keep improving. Thank you to my sponsors, supporters, and the guy down the street who delivers herbs to me. That's what I'm talking about!!!

Winner: R9
torch r9.jpg

round 9a.gif

Torch time, and it's the NFR - Next F*cken Round.

Eight shitposters down, and eight shitposters to go. It's past lunch time, and the Rising Star Committee won't let me eat anything until I get all of this week's interviews out. GremioPower is beating on a drum trying to get me to type faster. serial_thrilla is reciting some lame statistics about the correlation between effort exerted and the dopamine hit you get from eating. Chipmunk's asleep. GWS Goose is telling me about the time he met Sir Michael Parkinson, and the number of interviews he could do in a day. Bastyy is... I don't know, something about his fan club. Santoz threw a Snickers at me and gave me a thumbs up. Riviat's meant to be the voice of reason, but he's nowhere to be found. There's no 'I' in 'team', but there's a 'T' in it which stands for 'Tonga Bob Is Carrying This Operation', apparently.

So what's on the Torch menu this week?

Baby Bomber kickthething dished up some Bear stew. A fatty dish which explodes once it's inside you. Young Warrior FootyGuy13's number was chewy as heck, but once you understood the dish you got a lot of enjoyment from it. BJO barman BLUEALLTHRU put on a Wonderful pub meal, a generous bar tab an- [puts finger to ear] oh. Oh no. He used coriander in his roast pork roll. Yeah, nah. Speaking of soapweed, Dragonette MC Bad Genius ditched the curry, the guacamole and the dirty stupid herbs and flung burgers which were *chef's kiss*. Finally Lil' Demon Toump Ass cooked up a Rat and covered it with some super expensive gear from an Asian grocery store that was a combination of fish sauce and MSG. Mmmm, umami!

Truly a feast, but whose dish was the tastiest? The Committee went for flame-grilled goodness, and anybody who's been in a match thread with the Dragons will have seen enough gifs of them breathing fire willy nilly to realise where I'm going with this, so please give it up for this week's nominee - MC Bad Genius!

torch mcbg.jpg

I sat down with both MC Bad Genius and his captain AceAndy to discuss the nomination. First up it was the Big Dragon:

Bob: Hey Andy, welcome back. The Dragons are making an impression both on and off the field, and the kids are leading the way! You've had a couple of Gun nominees, but how does it feel to have one of them nominated for the Torch of the Season?

Andy: About time the club with the best rookie program was recognised by the Torch panel.To be honest I am surprised it has taken this long. I suggest the Torch committee needs to LIFT!!

Bob: I know right? Lazy flogs. Remind us on how you got MC Bad Genius to the Dragons. Where did you find him, and how has his first half of the season gone?

Andy: We found MCBG wandering the streets , forlorn after the expansion vote was shot down and we offered him a home at Dragon Island. MCBG has been a steady trainer and has adapted well to the pace of the SFA with a solid first month on the Qooty field. Really took a step up when moved to Full Forward and has proved to be a very accurate converter and focal point of our attack.

Bob: MC seems to be a bit of a hit in the kitchen. Have you got him working on the menu at Dragon Island, and if so what dishes are you enjoying?

Andy: It was pretty clear that MCBG was the best guacamole chef at the Dragons so he was a natural to be put in charge of the Mexican menu. Taco night on Dragon Island is a must for all our players.

Bob: I'm so hungry. What has their posting style been like?

Andy: MCBG has been involved in each match thread this season and averaging a solid 25 posts per week. Loves a chat, supports his team mates and doesnt mind giving it to opposition flogs , in summary a model Dragon.

Bob: So MC now has both Gun & Torch nominations, and Bradesmaen also has a Gun nod. What are you doing to motivate your other rookies?

Andy: Seeing the success these two have had has really spurred on the other rookies and just look out for more Dragons getting the nod in both the Gun and Torch noms. I would expect i will be doing interviews for VandoHawk and T2B_ in the coming weeks.

Bob: They'd better get their skates on. Now that we're half a season in, have there any rookies from other teams that you wish you had gotten your hands on whose posting you enjoy?

Andy: I have been keeping my eye on a couple of the Roys rookies who came from the Carlton Board and it would have been great to get BLUEALLTHRU and RobR at the Dragons.

You sound just like Stephen Silvagni watching the Giants play. Cheers Andy, all the best for the rest of the season. Now it's over to the cook:

Bob: Welcome back MC. Congratulations on receiving a Torch of the Week nomination. You've had a few close calls, so it must feel nice to get the monkey off your back! How does it feel be the fourth rookie to receive both Gun & Torch nominations?

MCBG: It's a relief, to be honest. I feel like I've proven myself now, so I can take the foot off the pedal and relax. Which is probably timely, because the Furies thread this week is boring as hell.

Bob: Now that we're half way through the season, how are AceAndy & the Dragons treating you?

MCBG: You know that feeling you got when you were young and madly in love and you were in a crowded room and that special someone walked in the door? Where you lock eyes and try to play it cool, but can't possibly stop yourself from beaming your biggest smile and feel your heart beating like a the booming bells of St Paul's in your chest? That overwhelming sense of calm in the storm as everyone and everything else in the room disappears and there is only you, them and a warmth building up from inside you that can only be described as the physical manifestation of complete and utter joy? Well, it's that times 18 every time I enter a match thread or Dragons PM.

Bob: Bless! Where did the cooking skills come from?

MCBG: I am actually, truth be told, an incredibly poor cook. My guacamole skills are a complete outlier and although I try my best in the kitchen, I struggle to get all the different parts of a meal to the table at the same time. If you come over to the Bad Genius home, you'll either eat a main meal over the course of an hour in small portions, or be eating it all lukewarm.

Bob: Wow! Maybe you should use fewer ingredients? Anyway, how do you prepare for a match thread?

MCBG: I close my eyes and pray to whichever god will listen to me in hope that it won't start on a Monday. Then when it inevitably does, I curse that same god with the fury of a thousand suns.

Bob: Same. What would you like to achieve off field during your SFA career? Have you ventured into the world of media yet?

MCBG: I've dipped my toes into a few Media threads, but I can't see myself getting my own one together as of yet. The thing that SFA HAS introduced me to though is Werewolf. I'm pretty much addicted to it now, so my aim would be to actually be a key part of a winning team in that.

Bob: What's the deal with your love of coriander though? Is it some sort of Buddhist deprivation of pleasure thing?

MCBG: Don't you start with me, Bobby. There's only one place this conversation leads to...

Bob: I know, I know... [stares lovingly at the bin] Have there been any other teams that have stood out for you in the match threads or posters that you like the look of?

MCBG: I quite enjoyed Kennedy Parker's additions to the match thread last week and almost considered going back to read some of his tour diaries of weeks gone by, but then I realised that would actually be a pretty wasteful use of my free time. The Bombers thread probably stood out the most, but for all the wrong reasons. Everything else is still a little overwhelming in my rookie year to pick out favourites.

Bob: Fair enough. Have you clashed with any teams, or have found a nemesis yet?

MCBG: Well, of course, there's guero who for some reason thought that his guacamole recipe was better than mine, but was ultimately proven untrue through a very scientifically rigourous test. I'd stop short of calling it a nemesis-type relationship though, as he's much too insignificant for me to care about.

torch trophy mcbg.jpg

Hoboy! Well congrats again MC Bad Genius, here's your miniature novelty trophy.

That's now four dual Gun/Torch nominees, making the race for the sausageroll medal tighter. Will be the next recipient become a dual nominee, or will a new name join the race? And what about me? Well after I go and eat a f*ckoff sized burger like a corn cob and put myself into a food coma, I'm going to lie down in a hammock for the next week or so. Sort yourselves out while I'm gone.

burger.gif

Andy: About time the club with the best rookie program was recognised by the Torch panel.

The Vampires?

Well, of course, there's @guero who for some reason thought that his guacamole recipe was better than mine, but was ultimately proven untrue through a very scientifically rigorous test. I'd stop short of calling it a nemesis-type relationship though, as he's much too insignificant for me to care about.
MC Bad Guac: relevant part of the cute commentary about your "scientific" guac-off highlighted. And it's pretty clear you pale next to my insignificance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back