Opinion SA 2021 SOO team

Remove this Banner Ad

I always loved State of Origin and always wanted it back, but geez when you look at our potential team, we'd not only get belted by the Vics but the Sandgropers would also give us a hiding. But hey, 2nd best comp in the country!:drunk: (which, looking at recent state game results and the standard of the WAFL is also starting to look like a very shaky claim).

New South Wales 2020 State Team
B: Dane Rampe (Syd) Dougal Howard (StK) Zac Williams (Car)
HB: Matt Suckling (WB) Phil Davis (GWS) Callum Mills (Syd)
C: Isaac Smith (Gee) Jacob Hopper (GWS) Harry Perryman (GWS)
HF: Nick Blakey (Syd) Taylor Walker (Ade) Harrison Himmelberg (GWS)
F: Luke Breust (Haw) Tom Hawkins (Gee) Josh Bruce (WB)
Fol: Jarrod Witts (GC) Jack Steele (StK) Isaac Heeney (Syd)
IC: Tom Green (GWS) Harry Cunningham (Syd) Jeremy Finlayson (GWS) Michael Gibbons (Car)

Why do NSW teams need an academy again? This team would pound South Australia.

New South Wales 2020 State Team
B: Dane Rampe (Syd) Dougal Howard (StK) Zac Williams (Car)
HB: Matt Suckling (WB) Phil Davis (GWS) Callum Mills (Syd)
C: Isaac Smith (Gee) Jacob Hopper (GWS) Harry Perryman (GWS)
HF: Nick Blakey (Syd) Taylor Walker (Ade) Harrison Himmelberg (GWS)
F: Luke Breust (Haw) Tom Hawkins (Gee) Josh Bruce (WB)
Fol: Jarrod Witts (GC) Jack Steele (StK) Isaac Heeney (Syd)
IC: Tom Green (GWS) Harry Cunningham (Syd) Jeremy Finlayson (GWS) Michael Gibbons (Car)

Why do NSW teams need an academy again? This team would pound South Australia.

Because half of those guys wouldn't be playing AFL if the academies didn't exist? The other half are from country towns in southern NSW that are actually footy territory.

Because half of those guys wouldn't be playing AFL if the academies didn't exist? The other half are from country towns in southern NSW that are actually footy territory.
Haha like who? Maybe Mills maybe Heeney thats it, Dougal, Steele and Perryman were playing playing Aussie rules since they were 6.

Haha like who? Maybe Mills maybe Heeney thats it, Dougal, Steele and Perryman were playing playing Aussie rules since they were 6.

I don't know everyone's story but odds are that at least some of those other academy products were destined for non AFL futures if the academies didn't exist.

At the end of the day, the goal is to get so many kids playing footy that the two Sydney clubs can't possibly take all of them - and then every club benefits from the expansion of the talent pool, not just the two Sydney clubs.

Also, these clubs put a lot of time and money into their academies, they aren't just gift selections. For every player that gets drafted, there are hundreds who don't.

Ultimately, it's good for the sport.

I don't know everyone's story but odds are that at least some of those other academy products were destined for non AFL futures if the academies didn't exist.

At the end of the day, the goal is to get so many kids playing footy that the two Sydney clubs can't possibly take all of them - and then every club benefits from the expansion of the talent pool, not just the two Sydney clubs.

Also, these clubs put a lot of time and money into their academies, they aren't just gift selections. For every player that gets drafted, there are hundreds who don't.

Ultimately, it's good for the sport.
You replied to me saying most of these players wouldn't be playing that's simply not true. Also GC and GWS are putting in money are they, where are they getting this money from? Yeah I don't disagree with academies full stop, i think every club should have them with the ability to take one player a year from them and the rest go into the draft.

The smalls in a hypothetical SA team look good and you would think would be competitive. Its the talls that is the issue. Even Jack Lukosious who looked fantastic as a Nick Riewoldt like CHF in his underage years is now a soft half back flanker.

I don't think the Academies themselves are disputed by anyone, but why do Sydney/GWS still need such a discount on quality players? Really no academy (including our NGA), should be able to give a discount to anyone prior to the 3rd round. That still gives a reason to work them, but not the huge leg up it's giving some clubs at present.

I don't think the Academies themselves are disputed by anyone, but why do Sydney/GWS still need such a discount on quality players? Really no academy (including our NGA), should be able to give a discount to anyone prior to the 3rd round. That still gives a reason to work them, but not the huge leg up it's giving some clubs at present.

Not enough incentive if you're only getting late picks.

Not enough incentive if you're only getting late picks.
I've posted multiple times how I'd fix this (and many other issues) by ditching draft picks altogether and going all in on points.

A club would get as many points as the current picks-points ladder has them getting at their finishing position (assuming no priority picks and no traded ones). The draft would become a player auction. A club (in reverse finishing order) would nominate a player, but any club can bid points on them. Winner has their winning points taken off their remaining total.

Father-son picks would get a 25% discount (Eg. if we bid 2000 points for Jase B. only 1500 would come off our total). Give a smaller discount for Academy picks (15 or 20%). This way clubs are still getting an advantage from academies, but they aren't going to get such a discount. Also if an Academy has multiple top talents in a year, that club even with discount won't get an oversized advantage, as other clubs will have enough points to outbid them. Trades and the like work in similarly with points.

It's the logical end point of what the AFL started with, as soon as points were introduced, but the AFL being the AFL they of course leave it as half finished, with loop holes all over the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That side would give Victoria a fair shake, helps that so many of their spine play at one club!

When you consider that the likes of Alex Rance and Jesse Hogan just evaporated, and they’ve got the likes of Logan McDonald coming right around the corner.

A real golden generation and possibly the strongest argument for Western Australian secession and a genuine tilt at a subsequent World Cup.

When you consider that the likes of Alex Rance and Jesse Hogan just evaporated, and they’ve got the likes of Logan McDonald coming right around the corner.

A real golden generation and possibly the strongest argument for Western Australian secession and a genuine tilt at a subsequent World Cup.
Even that midfield, Coniglio, O’Mera, Swallow would thrive in a State game!

I've posted multiple times how I'd fix this (and many other issues) by ditching draft picks altogether and going all in on points.

A club would get as many points as the current picks-points ladder has them getting at their finishing position (assuming no priority picks and no traded ones). The draft would become a player auction. A club (in reverse finishing order) would nominate a player, but any club can bid points on them. Winner has their winning points taken off their remaining total.

Father-son picks would get a 25% discount (Eg. if we bid 2000 points for Jase B. only 1500 would come off our total). Give a smaller discount for Academy picks (15 or 20%). This way clubs are still getting an advantage from academies, but they aren't going to get such a discount. Also if an Academy has multiple top talents in a year, that club even with discount won't get an oversized advantage, as other clubs will have enough points to outbid them. Trades and the like work in similarly with points.

It's the logical end point of what the AFL started with, as soon as points were introduced, but the AFL being the AFL they of course leave it as half finished, with loop holes all over the place.
A draft auction would be infinitely more exciting than a draft selection.

I'm surprised that the AFL don't go for it on that basis alone.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Off the top of my head Boak, Gray, DBJ, Wines, Houston and Amon would all be potentially running around in the Big V.

It would be so jam packed full of port players I’d find it hard to barrack against that.

It’s a firm no from me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I couldn’t think of anything much worse than state of origin returning to be honest.
Yep. Even if the SANFL had Junior development taken away and in 5 years we started a decade of talent being drafted, every club has and will continue to have, recruits from all over the country. A majority on this board and a lot of other boards (Adelaide maybe an exception for the wrong reasons as usual #SAgreatmate!) would not want to cheer on rival players against 'our own'. SOO was great in it's day, but it's day is long past.

Yep. Even if the SANFL had Junior development taken away and in 5 years we started a decade of talent being drafted, every club has and will continue to have, recruits from all over the country. A majority on this board and a lot of other boards (Adelaide maybe an exception for the wrong reasons as usual #SAgreatmate!) would not want to cheer on rival players against 'our own'. SOO was great in it's day, but it's day is long past.
Could we not name SOO teams at the conclusion of the season? Like the All Australian team, celebrating the fantastic seasons players may have. I think it would increase exposure to the development areas and place some emphasis on junior pathways!

View attachment 1106381

This is something of an understatement.

Nearly doubled their population in 30 years and have left us in the dust. The reality is when people call for real State of Origin to return, it's has to be VIC v WA. We have to settle for our nostalgia of the 80's and 90's because we're not seriously in the conversation at the moment,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back