News SA Academies decided

Remove this Banner Ad

Efa.

I think both clubs are making a bigger deal of what draftees they'll get out of this then they need to
No more than 1 per five years. The biggest wins from this will be attracting more people to the game that might otherwise never get involved

I agree. Its lip service. Its basically designed to get Indigenous and immigrant community groups into the game. I can only see rookies coming from the APY lands really. I can't see another draftee appearing from this venture at all.

It really makes no difference. The only difference between Power and Crows are the colours they wear. One has a rich history and the other claim to come from the Port Magpies ;). Besides that, both are captained by non SA boys, both have a squad made up of the best they can get across the country. One is loved and respected and the other is Port :)
I get that you have a conflict of interest, but it's a strange thing to say that there's no difference between Crows and Power. The 'One Club' line that Port speil must grate on you somewhat. I get that there's a trend happening with some traditional Port supporters voicing their discontent with the 'One Club' mantra. For me, I see it pretty much that way - for all intents and purposes its the one club.

My father-in-law was born and bred in Port heartland - barracked for them since the fifties; supported the Crows when they joined the AFL and dropped them like an anchor in the sea the moment Power joined the AFL. His view is that the Magpies being the Power reserves is the logical progression and a match made in heaven.

I've always hated Port. It's just a thing most South Aussies get. As a Panther supporter who barracked for Geelong, I couldn't ever go for Adelaide. If the Panthers had joined the AFL? I've got ties to both Vic and SA - spent a number of years in Geelong, so no. But if my affiliation was a little looser, my roots would have shone through. I'd say you're in the minority being a Crows supporting Magpie who didn't get on board the Power train.

But, I digress. Whether or not these pseudo-zones have any practical influences on the two South Aussie clubs, as a passionate South Adelaide supporter I feel it is my business to state that being associated in any way, shape or form with Port Adelaide sits uneasy with me. I'm sorry, but I just hate the Magpies and ipso facto Port Power.

"The team for ALL South Australians"
Yep, we should have all zones, as our heritage is the entire SANFL. And we have been a net provider to the SANFL since joining the AFL, rather than a drain.

Don't you think it's nice that your 146 years of history makes up 1/10 of our club? I do. We are the team for all South Australians, and we exist because of the strength, quality and history of the SANFL. I'm quite proud of it, and glad to have you Port boys aboard.

It really makes no difference. The only difference between Power and Crows are the colours they wear. One has a rich history and the other claim to come from the Port Magpies ;). Besides that, both are captained by non SA boys, both have a squad made up of the best they can get across the country. One is loved and respected and the other is Port :)

Broken Hill might be physically located in NSW, but in every other respect they are a south aussie town, even down to using our timezone and local radio.

I get that you have a conflict of interest, but it's a strange thing to say that there's no difference between Crows and Power. The 'One Club' line that Port speil must grate on you somewhat. I get that there's a trend happening with some traditional Port supporters voicing their discontent with the 'One Club' mantra. For me, I see it pretty much that way - for all intents and purposes its the one club.

My father-in-law was born and bred in Port heartland - barracked for them since the fifties; supported the Crows when they joined the AFL and dropped them like an anchor in the sea the moment Power joined the AFL. His view is that the Magpies being the Power reserves is the logical progression and a match made in heaven.

I've always hated Port. It's just a thing most South Aussies get. As a Panther supporter who barracked for Geelong, I couldn't ever go for Adelaide. If the Panthers had joined the AFL? I've got ties to both Vic and SA - spent a number of years in Geelong, so no. But if my affiliation was a little looser, my roots would have shone through. I'd say you're in the minority being a Crows supporting Magpie who didn't get on board the Power train.

But, I digress. Whether or not these pseudo-zones have any practical influences on the two South Aussie clubs, as a passionate South Adelaide supporter I feel it is my business to state that being associated in any way, shape or form with Port Adelaide sits uneasy with me. I'm sorry, but I just hate the Magpies and ipso facto Port Power.

My dad is the opposite of yours. Born and bred in the Barossa and a died in the wool Port fan from birth pretty much. Then along came the Crows and combined with his disgust at the way the Port Hierarchy went about trying to get into the AFL, he stuck with the Crows. When Port came in he was all meh, they are just another manufactured team and he already had an AFL team. The magpies were his SANFL and he also had disgust with the way the Power were treating them for a long time. When they finally decided it would be of benefit to themselves and brought into the reserves idea, my father lost his original SANFL team. He has a new one and they are sitting on top of the ladder right now. ;) He's not the only original Port supporter I know who had similar feelings about the AFL team.

and in all this waffle, other than declaring the club right again, you've not actually addressed any of the concerns you replied to.

just because Fagan signed up to it, doesn't make it any more right than something Trigg did. It doesn't matter who did what, it matters what was done.

this seems strange
If port end up retaining Norwood and Westies when the real academies are introduced that's pretty much a sackable offence in my view. We don't have much history as a club just yet but what we do have those two clubs are heavily bound up in. Bad joke handing Norwood and the Riverland to the swampies. Reeks of NFI

When does Port burn down the Parade ?

Didn't you hear? Those mean Norwood supporters are so nasty that the poor Port supporters felt unsafe and don't want to go back there. The North Adelaide fans hurt their feelings on the weekend too.

It does seem an odd divvy up, although given Port are a traditional SANFL club hated by all, as compared to the AFc who were formed from all SANFL clubs, it's always going to leave some put out a little.

Personally I would have thought something along the lines of the following would have made more sense:
Adelaide: South Adelaide, Sturt, Norwood, Glenelg
Port Adelaide: Woodville-West Torrens, North Adelaide, Centrals, West Adelaide

Adelaide take the South Eastern Zones, areas no where near Port Adelaide, where Port take the more North Western Zones. Having said this it's difficult to give up the West Adelaide zone given its provided us with the likes of Ricciuto, Rehn, Modra, Edwards, Rutten, Proplyzia, Laird...
That's the father-son alignment. So we'll now have two different alignments for different purposes. Although, FS is becoming less relevant as each year passes by.

That's the father-son alignment. So we'll now have two different alignments for different purposes. Although, FS is becoming less relevant as each year passes by.
I don't see any reason why there should be different alignments for the Academy program, at least not for the Metro area anyway.

I can understand why they would want to split the country areas differently. Giving Port access to the Eyre Peninsula makes sense (now part of Norwood's zone), as does splitting the APY lands between the two clubs (now WWT zone). But why they felt the need to mess with the metro zones is entirely beyond me.

It is One Club because that is how the Power need it. There are many die hard Magpies supporters who don't give a crap about AFL...including Power. Then there is me....whose conflict of interest only really came about recently. We are a minority, and it probably does not bother us as much because Crows are more important to me than the Magpies. I stopped being a PM member about 5 years ago. I stopped going to games....except their latest GF loss.....but they are still my SANFL team. I have been meaning to get to a few games....especially against the Doggies....but yeah. I can never see Magpies as Power as much as Magpies are not Crows. That is how it is.

How are these Academies funded? Seems like a ridiculous waste of time and money to me.

I think academy is an overly grandiose term for what this is. I'd expect that there'd be a bit of funding available to assist a fair portion of these kids to get to and stay in Adelaide (or Pt Augusta as an eg) to undertake a clinic and other learning program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dad is the opposite of yours. Born and bred in the Barossa and a dyed in the wool Port fan from birth pretty much. Then along came the Crows and combined with his disgust at the way the Port Hierarchy went about trying to get into the AFL, he stuck with the Crows. When Port came in he was all meh, they are just another manufactured team and he already had an AFL team. The magpies were his SANFL and he also had disgust with the way the Power were treating them for a long time. When they finally decided it would be of benefit to themselves and brought into the reserves idea, my father lost his original SANFL team. He has a new one and they are sitting on top of the ladder right now. ;) He's not the only original Port supporter I know who had similar feelings about the AFL team.
efa

I picked the 4 clubs I feel have the closest ties with AFC.

I have no problem with Centrals, WWT etc. Do you have a problem with them? Sounds like you do.
Why? I don't agree that any of them have a particular tie to the AFC. Given how Norwood reacted and carried on like petulant 5yo's for the first decade of the AFC's existence surely we can give the Norwood zone to Collingwood or someone for Fitzroy or Nortcote or the like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So does this look or feel like the thin edge of the wedge ?

Academy rules tweaked for overlooked talent

CLUBS will be able to select overlooked indigenous and multicultural prospects at this year's NAB AFL Draft as category B rookies as the AFL looks to fast-track its next generation academy program.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

Watch all the clubs now avoid taking Indigenous and Multicultural in the normal draft to have a free hit as Cat B's.

Reverse racism at its finest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back