Racing SA "Punters Tax"

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW the 550mil is a typo had 1 number stuck in my head and looks like I typed it twice.

i know how the race field rates work, i've seen the real numbers and i've seen what is still well above profitable levels. I agree with parts of this but this is state governments trying to break up the reliance on the NT and effectively level the playing field it can only be seen as a good thing.

if it's as dangerous system as you say it is, i'd love to know how local on course bookmakers survive who are not based in the NT.

or even tabcorp....

Last edited:
I am all for the removal of this bullshit state based system. Anyone who thinks overseas owned corporate bookmakers should be allowed to pay stuff all to the industry and take all the profits overseas must want the industry to die.
All these evil overseas bookies are listed on the overseas stock exchange (except 365) so you could invest if you wanted a piece of these profits. However, if you were to invest it might ruin the popular narrative that these overseas bookies are making decent coin over here (with the exception of Sportsbet) though so proceed with caution.

i don't really think is a good solution but at least it's evening things up a little.

the ideal solution is at a federal level across the board a percentage of turnover and/or profits go back to the state and the racing where it is being held. as much as you try and say the corporates are struggling as it is, i don't believe that tabcorp and on course bookmakers can pay more in fees and offer the same prices and still survive if that is true. what could the lack of profitability for those corporates possibly come down to? the ability to run a book?

FWIW the 550mil is a typo had 1 number stuck in my head and looks like I typed it twice.

i know how the race field rates work, i've seen the real numbers and i've seen what is still well above profitable levels. I agree with parts of this but this is state governments trying to break up the reliance on the NT and effectively level the playing field it can only be seen as a good thing.

if it's as dangerous system as you say it is, i'd love to know how local on course bookmakers survive who are not based in the NT.

or even tabcorp....
If you know how racefields work then don't post one set of numbers and make it seem like that's the number across the board. People reading it who don't know how it works might interpret is an accurate number when it is anything but.

How is it going to 'level of the playing field'? This has absolutely nothing to do with the states looking out for the industry or individual but a way to raise money. Hasn't that been proven by the fact that the majority of the theoretical revenue that will be raised by SA will not go into anything related to dealing with gambling addiction?Also, as someone else has posted all this is going to do is lead to consolidation and people exiting the marketplace. If you think that is good for the consumer or the racing bodies then you should become a politician or work in a government department. Having a fundamental misunderstanding of economics is a prerequisite for either of those positions.

I made no reference to the system being dangerous so I have no idea where that came from.
Mentioning on course bookmaking is funny though. On course has been declining for years so I wouldn't exactly call it a thriving business model.
Not sure what the TAB has to do with anything. They have a retail monopoly. Pretty hard not to make money (for the time being at least) when you have the market corned for people who like to physically bet in person.

If you know how racefields work then don't post one set of numbers and make it seem like that's the number across the board. People reading it who don't know how it works might interpret is an accurate number when it is anything but.

How is it going to 'level of the playing field'? This has absolutely nothing to do with the states looking out for the industry or individual but a way to raise money. Hasn't that been proven by the fact that the majority of the theoretical revenue that will be raised by SA will not go into anything related to dealing with gambling addiction?Also, as someone else has posted all this is going to do is lead to consolidation and people exiting the marketplace. If you think that is good for the consumer or the racing bodies then you should become a politician or work in a government department. Having a fundamental misunderstanding of economics is a prerequisite for either of those positions.

I made no reference to the system being dangerous so I have no idea where that came from.
Mentioning on course bookmaking is funny though. On course has been declining for years so I wouldn't exactly call it a thriving business model.
Not sure what the TAB has to do with anything. They have a retail monopoly. Pretty hard not to make money (for the time being at least) when you have the market corned for people who like to physically bet in person.

didn't exactly sit there with a pen and paper with about 10 variables across each states regulations i'm not going to even prentend i rememebered these numbers are accurate however these are only approx ratios 1.7c best race on card <15k 2.4c best race on card <35k, 3.2c best race on card >100k, tabcorp 6.5c on their local events. +/- some numbers depending on which state it is

i mention on course bookmakers as they pay more in rates, and somehow actually make money.

"the market cornered for people who like to physically bet in person" that = profit now does it? that's a weird statement. again i mention them because they have an increased payment back to racing over the corporates off shore or in the NT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back