SA Showdown vs WA Derby - which rivalry is bigger?

Which rivalry is bigger?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

theres one thing port and crows fans can both agree on and that is a showdown is the much bigger rivalry, its not just afl rivalry, its not just dating back to the 1990 fiasco, its dating back as long as footy as been played here. its always been us against them, port a successful sanfl club that joined the afl, the other lot that were formed out of the tears of the clubs port had dominated forever (sorry, its true), port have always been the most hated team in the state and the rest have always had an irrational bitter hatred towards anything port adelaide. crows fans hatred of port isnt just an afl thing, its been ingrained in them through the decades, its a massive rivalry nothing like the one out west between two clubs that have no historical links to anything other than just being in the same state.

theres one thing port and crows fans can both agree on and that is a showdown is the much bigger rivalry, its not just afl rivalry, its not just dating back to the 1990 fiasco, its dating back as long as footy as been played here. its always been us against them, port a successful sanfl club that joined the afl, the other lot that were formed out of the tears of the clubs port had dominated forever (sorry, its true), port have always been the most hated team in the state and the rest have always had an irrational bitter hatred towards anything port adelaide. crows fans hatred of port isnt just an afl thing, its been ingrained in them through the decades, its a massive rivalry nothing like the one out west between two clubs that have no historical links to anything other than just being in the same state.

It isn't irrational at all. They have plenty reason to hate us, as you have just outlined.

This really swaps and changes depending on how the teams are going IMO.

Some of the Derbies in the mid-late 2000s when we had the Carr boys together were amazingly fierce.
Likewise when Josh was at Port they were fierce as anything as well, seems Josh seemed to bring a lot to these games.

At the moment you would probably say the Showdown is the bigger of the two which i think has a lot to do with a territorial battle at AAMI last year and now AO. These games seem to be much bigger when Port are up and about.

That said, i remember in maybe 2006-07 or thereabouts when the Derbies were as fierce as ever there was an article in a Melbourne paper saying it was the second biggest rivalry in Aus sports behind QLD v NSW.

As i said, it really comes and goes depending on the teams standing at the time. Can guarantee you when the new Perth Stadium opens that the Derby will surpass the Showdown again.

How do you measure this?

Adelaide Oval seats about another 10,000 people than Patersons Stadium, so that doesn't make the showdown a bigger rivalry.

Derbies are Meh.

It's a week of Channel Eagle and The Worst telling everybody the who's, whys and how's of an Eagles victory.
The Eagles then turn up for a quarter or so. Enough to give their supporters a mild erection. Then they turn flaccid and the Eagles get a bit soft as well.

When it stops being a matter of just having to turn up for the 4 points, it's going to keep on being Meh.

West Coast v Freo, easily.

Be interesting to hear from those that have experienced both.I went to the first showdowns back in the day and there was some real feeling and hatred amongst port and crows fans .this IMO has calmed right down. Sure they want to beat each other still but i feel the bitterness/hate has dissapated somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of actual rivalry between the two teams it is no doubt in my mind Adelaide vs Port Adelaide. Call me when Freo and WCE players have a punch up in a pub outside of a game. The history and hatred between the two teams (ie: Port Adelaide trying to come into the AFL in the early 90's, being blocked by the SANFL and Adelaide being produced as a result) runs pretty deep - as teams it doesn't come down to just being in the same state, which seems to be the biggest grudge between WCE and Freo.

If we had an 80k stadium, the Derby would fill it.
You could say the same for a showdown if there was an 80k stadium here , the new Perth stadium will be 60k i believe. They will keep the old scoreboard and a section of the hill at AO but down the track they will whack a new stand down there it's inevitable which would bump it well over 60k.

The showdown is bigger. The hatred between the clubs run deep and is inbred. Port Adelaide has had a love-hate relationship in SA for decades and that hasn't stopped since they came into the AFL. The derby is still bigger than anything in Victoria and engulfs the whole of Perth, but once it is over the hatred of each other disipates. The hatred of Crows fans to Port and vice-versa stays for 12 months of the year.

You could say the same for a showdown if there was an 80k stadium here , the new Perth stadium will be 60k i believe. They will keep the old scoreboard and a section of the hill at AO but down the track they will whack a new stand down there it's inevitable which would bump it well over 60k.
I wasn't talking about the Showdown.

I've been to both at one point or another, and I'd have to say the Showdown. The reason for that, beyond the aforementioned extreme hatred for the opposition is something which hasn't been mentioned so far.

In Showdowns, prior form doesn't matter. Even now, with Port on top of the ladder and the Crows outside the eight, I'm not confident in the slightest that we'll get up. In fact, us being the favourites is making me even more nervous.

Sure that same feeling might be there for the occasional Derby, but you couldn't be seriously thinking that West Coast have much of a chance this week, despite Fremantle and the Eagles being closer on the ladder than Port and the Crows.

The way the players lift for a Showdown and bring everything they have, regardless of whatever else has happened in the year... That's what makes it bigger.

I don't know so much about that mate. The results I've seen have been pretty much as expected for the last... six years from memory. Before that, well I honestly didn't pay too much attention to it then.

The Showdowns? Hell, just look at last year.

You've quoted only the beginning of my point there and just ignored the rest, so I'll leave it with one final question I don't necessarily expect you to answer. How confident are you that your mob will get over Freo this weekend?

Cheers,

Collingwood v Carlton.
But out of those two as an outsider showdown always seems more heated.

Back