Past Sabrina Frederick-Traub (2016-2019)

Marquee Player

29a73f28cd2e84e2d1b3cfe0966134a3.png
27a1ada850aac90bfffbf79259977891.png

UK born Frederick-Traub is a strong overhead mark, hard hitting, high leaping in the ruck or up forward. ‘Sabs’ as she is known amongst her teammates is a long and accurate kick with a healthy set shot record. Off the field Sabrina is an AFL Multicultural Ambassador. Throughout her schooling Sabrina was a dual sport athlete playing football and soccer, as well as a musician, playing the guitar and clarinet.

Marquee Lions star to guide multicultural prospects

BRISBANE Lions marquee player Sabrina Frederick-Traub will be on hand to provide leadership advice and guidance for participants in this week's AFL National Female Diversity Championships.

More than 200 young players from indigenous and multicultural backgrounds are taking part in the week-long carnival in Shepparton in Victoria's north, representing all states and territories.

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-05-17/nine-aflw-stars-locked-in

The Brisbane Lions have finalised paperwork with the AFL today to secure nine of their AFL Women's players who have re-signed with the Club.

The Lions secured the signature of Captain Emma Zielke as well as marquee forward Sabrina Frederick-Traub.

Frederick-Traub was runner-up in the inaugural Brisbane Lions Women's Best and Fairest and was selected in the AFL Women's All Australian team at season's end.

A strong season for the 20-year-old, Frederick-Traub cemented her spot in Brisbane as a key forward with her uncompromising attack on the footy and strong spirit around the Club.

Women's Coach Craig Starcevich commended Frederick-Traub at the Best & Fairest on her ability to uplift and encourage fellow teammates.

"She's able to generate great enthusiasm in the group; her spirit in lifting everyone is probably one of the reasons why we had a successful year," said Starcevich.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
AFL and Thomas & Friends™ in international first
The AFL is pleased to announce a collaboration with Thomas & Friends in an international first for the two brands.

The collaboration will see four short episodes produced, centred around the AFL and following Thomas and his friends on their Australian adventures with the first episode to be released today, Wednesday July 12.

Two AFL superstars will voice characters in the four short episodes, with former Richmond Tiger Matthew Richardson starring as Shane the Train, an Australian character introduced in the last Thomas & Friends movie ‘The Great Race’ and Brisbane Lions AFLW player Sabrina Frederick-Traub as Tracy the Melbourne Tram.

In the first episode, Thomas arrives at the historical Flinders Street Station where he is met by his friend Shane the Train, who needs Thomas to help him transport some stranded Western Bulldog players from Footscray Station to the iconic MCG for a match.

Thomas quickly learns the local lingo and gets immersed into the AFL way of life.

Brisbane Lions AFL Women’s star Sabrina Frederick-Traub was born in England and raised on Thomas and Friends.

“Obviously having being born and living in England until I was seven, I watched a lot of Thomas growing up,” Ms Frederick-Traub said.

“When the AFL asked if I would be interested in voicing a new friend of Thomas, in something so cool as Tracy the Melbourne tram, I jumped at the chance to be involved in something I loved so much as a kid,” she said.
TTTE.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
THEY TOLD ME I COULDN'T PLAY AFL, SO I DID
As a proud player for the Brisbane Lions, you can imagine the things I was told that I ‘couldn’t do’ because of my gender, which might have deterred me from getting to where I am today. Things like; ‘footy is a man’s game’, and ‘shouldn’t you be doing something more ladylike?’

It was only in 2017, when the AFLW was established, that I could finally allow myself to dream of achieving every player’s aspiration: competing at the highest level. I think it’s fair to say most male footy players climbing their way up the ranks may not even be able to imagine what that’s like: to be denied the right to dream of making it all the way, just because of your gender.

Although I was never deterred from playing the sport I love, overcoming the hurdles that our often-rigid society places on young women has been tough. Harmful stereotypes that tell women they should do one thing because it’s ‘feminine’ and men another because it’s ‘masculine’ do nothing but prevent young people from exploring and pursuing their true talents and passions.

And when that happens, we all lose. As an ambassador for national youth campaign, The Line, I want to encourage young people to reject restrictive gender stereotypes that limit men and women.

Because when everyone is equal, everyone wins. When women see themselves represented at all levels of the game, on and off the field, then we will see real change. It’s cliché, but it’s true — you can’t be what you can’t see. So, a word to all the footy players out there: if they say you ‘kick like a girl’, hold your head up high, because we kick goals.
sabrian-760x438.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
FREDERICK-TRAUB MOTIVATED BY THE PAIN OF DEFEAT (Katie de Haer)
If Sabrina Frederick-Traub is sure about one thing, it’s that she wants to play without any regrets. The key forward has endured the pain of two agonising AFLW Grand Final losses, falling just six points short on both occasions against Adelaide in 2017 and the Western Bulldogs in 2018. Though grand final day is still raw, she remains optimistic that a new year presents a new opportunity. And the key aspect that she has learnt from those losses is that every little thing counts.

“We were one kick away in both finals, and when the margin is that close you have to break everything down,” Frederick-Traub told AFLPlayers.com.au, just two weeks out from the season commencing. “Could I have run a little bit harder? Could I have done an extra recovery session? Could I have done an extra game analysis hour?”

All of those little aspects have the potential to come to mind when it’s so close, which is why the athletic forward wants both defeats to be viewed as a learning experience. “You want every single day to count, that was my biggest learning from both of those losses,” she explained. “You don’t want to have any regrets, you don’t want to come away from the game thinking, “I could have done that, or I don’t think I gave enough effort in the first week of pre-season.”

As they embark on a new season, Frederick-Traub declares that the feeling amongst the Lions is overwhelmingly positive. She is also optimistic about the benefits of the expansion of the AFLW competition to 10 sides in 2019, and believes the club will be able to cover the loss of a number of key players who switched clubs in the off-season. Even though it is a new challenge, it can still be presented as an opportunity.

“With two new AFLW teams on board, there are two new teams’ worth of females who will be given the opportunity to play at the highest level,” Frederick-Traub added. “Obviously the Lions lost a couple of players to other clubs, which was expected. You can’t have expansion without some sort of movement. Now we have to adapt and we have no idea what those teams are going to be like.”

There have also been changes within the leadership group at the club, with Leah Kaslar taking over the captaincy from Emma Zielke, with the club deciding on a four-woman leadership group featuring Zielke, Kate Lutkins and Sam Virgo. “Zilks (Emma Zielke) did an amazing job over the last two years to lead our club to where it’s been,” she said. “But there’s no problem with change and Leah has worked really hard. One thing I really respect about her is that she is at 100 per cent all of the time. I can honestly say that she trains the way that she plays and you want someone that inspires you to do the exact same thing.”

Born in England, Frederick-Traub was introduced to AFL while growing up in Perth, but made the decision to move across the country in 2016 and hasn’t looked back. She now works for AFL Queensland and recently became engaged to her fiancé, Lili. “Football is important and it’s awesome to be part of a club that supports you, but the other part of your life has got to be going well, too. You’ve got to be happy where you are in order to want to stay. “For me right now those things are working out.”

Back