Player Watch Sabrina Frederick

Remove this Banner Ad

She'll provide a good target. Can help out in the ruck too. Might take less pressure off Chloe.

Yeah the ruck needed to be addressed with Sharni retiring. Erica Fowler is improving and I thought at the later parts of the season she was playing as a good tall ulitity but I dunno who the primary ruck will be? With Sabrina coming in, there's no doubt she'll be serving as strong key forward ... you just know Chloe will be licking her lips when it comes to the ground .... but I'm really hope she plays around the ground more and maybe there's a centre rotation with Sabrina and Erica.

I don't think the issue for her is so much her footy salary. It's the other than footy income she is after, primarily in her role as an ambassador. I don't know how much clubs have allocated to pay for these roles or even if it all needs to come out of the TPP & FD spends, but if there's an expectation she'd take that sort of role then she deserves to be remunerated for it.

i saw sabrina a few times in the last year and I had the feeling that the speed of the game had passed her by, or she wasn't that interested.... she has a bit of nic nac about her in that she's imposing when the ball is close, but there's a lot of time when she isnt in the tv frame...

each year the women get taller and faster and stronger and the massive physical advantage that sabina initially had is fading.

i think going to a team that is contending might help her mindset..

I dont think we can afford her. And she shouldn't be paid more than Bri Davey (BnF, MVP), Molloy etc
Not many clubs can afford what Harris is asking
She wasn't asking for $150k. It's what the media speculated. What players get to what is reported are completely different. Media add at least 25-50% to create clickbait. What's the first thing people would have thought when they read Tayla wanted $150k? There were people who had not even read the article and were quick to judge. Her manager came out and said $80k, which is fair and reasonable I believe.

She wasn't asking for $150k. It's what the media speculated. What players get to what is reported are completely different. Media add at least 25-50% to create clickbait. What's the first thing people would have thought when they read Tayla wanted $150k? There were people who had not even read the article and were quick to judge. Her manager came out and said $80k, which is fair and reasonable I believe.

Agree with this. Tayla is just trying to maximise her income while she still plays and has a higher profile than many AFLW players, for a range of reasons. I dont blame her at all. Especially while, after five years, the AFLW salaries are still ridiculously low.

I dont want to get into a debate about why they are low, I know the reasons why. But I posted on here during the AFLW season about Tarni Brown. Her salary, as a first year player, would be around the base level of $15k or $20k. Not comparing her as a player to her brothers, but she grew into a very valuable member of our team. The Brown boys would be on 20 times her salary.

Agree with this. Tayla is just trying to maximise her income while she still plays and has a higher profile than many AFLW players, for a range of reasons. I dont blame her at all. Especially while, after five years, the AFLW salaries are still ridiculously low.

I dont want to get into a debate about why they are low, I know the reasons why. But I posted on here during the AFLW season about Tarni Brown. Her salary, as a first year player, would be around the base level of $15k or $20k. Not comparing her as a player to her brothers, but she grew into a very valuable member of our team. The Brown boys would be on 20 times her salary.

Fortunately for Tarni, she has another 10-12 years of AFLW footy ahead of her. I think her brothers will be out the door in the next 1-2 years unless they starting showing some real promise. AFLW wages will grow. The clubs just can't afford to pay big wages with minimal gate takings. The standard of footy this year was exceptional. I am super excited for the 2022 season, these young girls coming through are guns.

Fortunately for Tarni, she has another 10-12 years of AFLW footy ahead of her. I think her brothers will be out the door in the next 1-2 years unless they starting showing some real promise. AFLW wages will grow. The clubs just can't afford to pay big wages with minimal gate takings. The standard of footy this year was exceptional. I am super excited for the 2022 season, these young girls coming through are guns.

I’m just impatient for the AFLW salaries to grow.:)

She can play. Don't let her 2 goals from 9 games deter you. She played a fair chunk in the ruck most weeks. I thought we would have moved on Tayla Harris.

Sorry to intrude.

Not really. We used the shorter but more mobile Seymour as our main ruck. Massive leap and tank to spend most of the game on the ball. Sabrina just can't cover the ground as well.

With Seymour in the ruck, Brennan shifting forward and Wakefield as our other tall, Sabrina just found herself without a position. Sure she spent some time in the ruck and some time forward but also saw a fair chunk of bench time which she would have hated.

I don't think Sabrina will dominate as she did in her first couple of years with Brisbane. AFLW has improved out of sight since then and players are taller, stronger and quicker now. In saying that I totally agree with you that she can play! Sabrina is as fit as she’s ever been and at 6 feet tall with handy skills she can still be a dangerous forward who needs a good defender. That can only be good for the likes of Sophie Alexander probably taking a lesser defender. I think you have better options than Sabrina in the ruck. She's not as mobile as some of the other girls running around there and I didn't see much method in her tap work so I think key forward is the go. Would be good to see her a bit more physical and really crash contests bringing smaller, quicker players into play. Sometimes I wonder if she is a bit cautious not to hurt who she runs into more than worrying about herself getting injured.

I think this is a really good trade for both clubs.

I genuinely hope she goes well because when she is on she is pretty good to watch. Good luck.

Last edited:
this is amust watch. Especially the fact for the connection Sabrina already has with many of our players with Bonnici being one of her best mates. 👍

Having there Best Mates at the Club does not hurt when trying to Recurit someone

this is amust watch. Especially the fact for the connection Sabrina already has with many of our players with Bonnici being one of her best mates. 👍
Agreed, with all the doom & gloom going on with the Men at the moment it's great to hear that the Women are going from strength to strength.

Definitely something the club as a whole can draw on going forward.

I watch the AFLW a lot.
Think this a great get for us.
We’re clearly in the window. If you look through our list, who do we shed?
We have a heap of young talent and there is not much in the older stakes that deserve to go!!
Sab and Alexander make a formidable duo.
I think that will be massively underrated next season.
Send Chloe up the field as the “tarrent” style link player and its a forward line that will give headaches!!
Given we won’t really use our draft picks...it’s a great move.

I think a good shrewd pickup. I think Sabrina will flourish in a good AFLW side, which we are, and will fill the missing key position of a power forward, inturn release the pressure on Molloy as the key forward, even allowing Molloy to probably even get up into the midfield more.
Wishing Sabrina all the best and a long career in the black and white.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought initiallly she may be a ruck answer.

Looking more into it. She should be that target 15 metres to 35 metres out from goal. If she doesnt clunk it, hopefully brings it to ground.

As others have mentioned. Chloe should be the focal point but it gives us a good get out if Chloe is getting scragged and double teamed.

Allow Sophie to play that CHF role. Really liked her progress this season

Nice to see her finding some form.

Hopefully she gets her confidence back and breaks her way into the seniors again

I watched the part of the game where she got 2 goals in a minute or two. She's obviously a better player than that level. We need to kick it to her on the full....not dribbling it in front of her. She also doesnt seem to read the play too well. The fact that we won last week while being outmarked consistently at half back indicates that the team can use her if she can get to the marking contest. She'll probably be back in next week, but her success is going to depend on the other players as much as her own efforts.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back