"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I just say, I ******* LOVE the fact that no one picked this up in the JLT and told me and a few of the others with realistic views that we were melting and it was just preseason. The bloke cannot coach. I can't think of a player (outside of the cherry picked few Macca has mentored) who have come on during his tenure. The bloke is absolutely inept and couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. I'm excited to get to the footy next week and watch this muppet crash and burn. Pert having signed him up for 4 years is a bigger joke than the club shutting out members who wanted to vote no to the merger, or being the only club to be not convicted of tanking when every one was doing it due to the totally inept board. Lucky life outside of football doesn't suck like one of those tragic Tigers or Pies supporters and this is just a distraction for the weekends or I would be shattered. Roll on next years disappointment!

Can I just say, I ******* LOVE the fact that no one picked this up in the JLT and told me and a few of the others with realistic views that we were melting and it was just preseason. The bloke cannot coach. I can't think of a player (outside of the cherry picked few Macca has mentored) who have come on during his tenure. The bloke is absolutely inept and couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. I'm excited to get to the footy next week and watch this muppet crash and burn. Pert having signed him up for 4 years is a bigger joke than the club shutting out members who wanted to vote no to the merger, or being the only club to be not convicted of tanking when every one was doing it due to the totally inept board. Lucky life outside of football doesn't suck like one of those tragic Tigers or Pies supporters and this is just a distraction for the weekends or I would be shattered. Roll on next years disappointment!

I mean if we wanna play the 'i called it' game I made a thread in 2017 highlighting some concerns I had, but I never expected us to be this bad.

would be more than happy to move him on after 5 rounds next year if its apparent he hasn't changed anything. Cant waste another year. He is going to be under the pump big time right from the get go.

I mean if we wanna play the 'i called it' game I made a thread in 2017 highlighting some concerns I had, but I never expected us to be this bad.
I expressed concern before there were even rumours of us signing him in 2015 that there was clearly going to be an issue with Roos' successor if we couldn't get one lined up for 2014, so I win.

I expressed concern before there were even rumours of us signing him in 2015 that there was clearly going to be an issue with Roos' successor if we couldn't get one lined up for 2014, so I win.
I said in 2007 that our next final would be coached by that Bogan from Adelaide.

I said in 2007 that our next final would be coached by that Bogan from Adelaide.
James Hird was my favourite player as a kid and he turned out to be one of the most destructive coaches of the century and also paved the way to Goody being hired at Essendon and also leaving to come to Melbourne. Clearly I picked it.

DF3D6AFB-3BDB-4D2D-B338-120BE4109798.gif

gxva3IM.gif

Hi, as an outsider I have always considered Goodwin as a bit "vanlla". Given that he was re-signed for a lengthy contract the assistants around him should be put under scrutiny, particularly since those not being given contracts for next year need to be informed soon.

It would seem prudent to try and strengthen the supporting panel for Goodwin in the same manner that Tigers and Pies did when Hardwick and Buckley were under pressure, but still contracted. Obviously this seasons fall from Grace should not be acceptable, notwithstanding your injury woes.

Assistant coaches that have come from the Hawthorn system have been fairly successful. Simpson, Hardwick, Beveridge have won premierships; Fagan has performed well and has been able to attract A grade talent, Cameron has done okay with a suss conditioning/ medical department and Ratten seems highly regarded. Bolton was sacked but seems to have not been Neeld bad. You could do worse than enquire abou Burns or Newman, who could bring different perspective to your club, and might see a chance of advancement if Goodwin falters.

I write all this without much knowledge of your football department. Perhaps, like Adelaide and Geelong, they consider that they have full confidence if the present staff, to turn things around.

I wish we had pick 2 in this years draft! Though, knowing Melbourne's luck, Suns would then be granted pick 1 as a priority pick.

I'll put my hand up and say I seem to rate Goody more than the rest of this board, who seem to love sinking the boots in at the moment (fair enough I guess).

We've been bloody awful this year. But it's been almost comical how bad everything has gone, it's at Greek tragedy levels, which I find hard to blame on any one person. The conditioning has been rubbish - so we sacked him. Forward line efficiency has been abysmal, so we shuffled the coaches mid season and will be looking to get new talent in over the off season. Tmac finally finds form, does his knee. Melksham our best kick and forward has been out for 10 weeks now? through a freak spraining of his foot. OMAC with zero preseason has turned into a mash potato. May, our big recruit, essentially has a year from hell. Nev our best defender out for most of the year.

Clayton our most prodigious talent has double shoulder reco and loses all confidence in his ability to make the play for large swathes of the season. Brayshaw who came 3rd in the brownlow is extremely hot and cold and looks disinterested at times. ANB falls off face of planet. We lose about 5(?) games of footy through abysmal goal kicking. Young side struggles to pick itself back up again, pressure mounts, confidence doesn't return.

In saying all of this, Goody should obviously take responsibility for a lot of it. I think there's been a significant shift in the way we've moved the footy since the bye. It's been more kick/mark and weve switched the ball and used the width of the ground. If we fail to grab any outside players, draft overage "contest" players and trade out picks for key defenders I'll be ready to burn the place down. I'm in a wait and see phase as I think Goody has earned some credits in the bank and I think some of the rule changes stiffed the way we play. Getting runners back for our young team could be handy too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll put my hand up and say I seem to rate Goody more than the rest of this board, who seem to love sinking the boots in at the moment (fair enough I guess).

We've been bloody awful this year. But it's been almost comical how bad everything has gone, it's at Greek tragedy levels, which I find hard to blame on any one person. The conditioning has been rubbish - so we sacked him. Forward line efficiency has been abysmal, so we shuffled the coaches mid season and will be looking to get new talent in over the off season. Tmac finally finds form, does his knee. Melksham our best kick and forward has been out for 10 weeks now? through a freak spraining of his foot. OMAC with zero preseason has turned into a mash potato. May, our big recruit, essentially has a year from hell. Nev our best defender out for most of the year.

Clayton our most prodigious talent has double shoulder reco and loses all confidence in his ability to make the play for large swathes of the season. Brayshaw who came 3rd in the brownlow is extremely hot and cold and looks disinterested at times. ANB falls off face of planet. We lose about 5(?) games of footy through abysmal goal kicking. Young side struggles to pick itself back up again, pressure mounts, confidence doesn't return.

In saying all of this, Goody should obviously take responsibility for a lot of it. I think there's been a significant shift in the way we've moved the footy since the bye. It's been more kick/mark and weve switched the ball and used the width of the ground. If we fail to grab any outside players, draft overage "contest" players and trade out picks for key defenders I'll be ready to burn the place down. I'm in a wait and see phase as I think Goody has earned some credits in the bank and I think some of the rule changes stiffed the way we play. Getting runners back for our young team could be handy too.

Although I dig your points most of the time, I have to disagree - most of the blame lies with Goody in my opinion. In short, my argument is as follows
- Despite injuries, we have been in a position to win many games this year against decent opposition (west coast, Adelaide, st Kilda etc)
- We have lost these games due the the flaws in our game plan that were repeatedly exposed over the previous two (?3?) seasons
- We did not address these flaws, so basically lost due to Hubris at worst, stupidity at best. Either is unacceptable

Sure, the pre season, and in season injuries have limited our ceiling - but this is not why we are at the bottom of the ladder.

Although I dig your points most of the time, I have to disagree - most of the blame lies with Goody in my opinion. In short, my argument is as follows
- Despite injuries, we have been in a position to win many games this year against decent opposition (west coast, Adelaide, st Kilda etc)
- We have lost these games due the the flaws in our game plan that were repeatedly exposed over the previous two (?3?) seasons
- We did not address these flaws, so basically lost due to Hubris at worst, stupidity at best. Either is unacceptable

Sure, the pre season, and in season injuries have limited our ceiling - but this is not why we are at the bottom of the ladder.

Nutshell: this is in it.

Agree with all of this and the proof will be in the pudding next year. IF the coaching staff can reinvigorate the list and change our strategy so we can become more efficient moving the ball forward we will be an excellent team.

I feel like meta strategy of footy changed (like it always does) quite significantly this year and it left contested ball teams like us, north and the dogs to some extent flat footed. Rushing the ball forward at every opportunity is dead and buried it seems. 6/6/6 also has had an impact, to what extent who knows. Brad Scott hated it, North floundered and now hes sacked. There's a good argument to say Goody should have seen this coming and planned for it and that might be true. I feel like bringing in KK was supposed to get us that hard running, long kicking wingman. Putting all the eggs in an injury riddled player has quite clearly not come off.

We are clearly playing as less than the sum of our parts. But at least we have some valuable parts, which couldn't be said of any Melbourne team for a long time. Like I said I have serious questions too, but I've given Goody the off season to correct for them. Our trading has been quite shrewd, so it will be interesting to see if we can land Langdon/Hill/Cutler.

What other outside/smalls could we be playing to rebalance our inside/outside mix? I'm not even sure. Most have fallen off a cliff form wise or just not kicked on (Stretch/Spargo/ANB)

Goody is 100% crazy, whether its genius or insanity is not yet clear though

Agree with all of this and the proof will be in the pudding next year. IF the coaching staff can reinvigorate the list and change our strategy so we can become more efficient moving the ball forward we will be an excellent team.

I feel like meta strategy of footy changed (like it always does) quite significantly this year and it left contested ball teams like us, north and the dogs to some extent flat footed. Rushing the ball forward at every opportunity is dead and buried it seems. 6/6/6 also has had an impact, to what extent who knows. Brad Scott hated it, North floundered and now hes sacked. There's a good argument to say Goody should have seen this coming and planned for it and that might be true. I feel like bringing in KK was supposed to get us that hard running, long kicking wingman. Putting all the eggs in an injury riddled player has quite clearly not come off.

We are clearly playing as less than the sum of our parts. But at least we have some valuable parts, which couldn't be said of any Melbourne team for a long time. Like I said I have serious questions too, but I've given Goody the off season to correct for them. Our trading has been quite shrewd, so it will be interesting to see if we can land Langdon/Hill/Cutler.

What other outside/smalls could we be playing to rebalance our inside/outside mix? I'm not even sure. Most have fallen off a cliff form wise or just not kicked on (Stretch/Spargo/ANB)

Goody is 100% crazy, whether its genius or insanity is not yet clear though

Really? KK was a set of steak knives in the May deal and we hardly pinned all our hopes on KK being the difference for us this year.
Scott was sacked after 10 years at North Melbourne.

The handball game is dead, both North and the Dogs in the last 8 weeks have changed from a handball happy team to a long kick down the line team.
Brisbane since the bye have had a kick to hanbdall ratio of almost 2:1

We are still stuck playing the handball happy game, it invites pressure. We get numbers to contest but don't spread well. We are easy to defend against and easy to score against.

I mean KK was someone we put a lot of faith in from a list management perspective - as he was the only pacey outside player we recruited in last year.

Either they thought we didn't need any help in that area, thought our players on our list would have kicked on (they haven't) or thought KK could do what was necessary.

Agree re: handball/kick ratios. Will be interesting to see how these game styles all play out in finals.

Those who think that Goodwin is responsible for where Melbourne is now, also have to tar Paul Roos with the same brush.

You see, it is my understanding that one of the terms of Roos' agreement to coach Melbourne was to pick his own successor.

So Roos picked Goodwin. If you blame Goodwin for where Melbourne is this year, you can't then also say that Paul Roos is a genius.

Roos is responsible for Goodwin having his job, so he needs to also be blamed.

Besides, the question needs to be asked why Roos isn't still coaching Melbourne. He said that he would only coach three years, and then would have to leave, so that they can move to Hawaii to be closer to his American wife's family.

So, then, it must be a doppleganger or a clone of Paul Roos sitting on "On The Couch" every week. I mean, he wouldn't lie and create an excuse to get out of his contract at Melbourne, would he?

One thing Goodwin has done is coach Melbourne to finals, something Roos, Neeld nor Bailey could achieve.

I mean KK was someone we put a lot of faith in from a list management perspective - as he was the only pacey outside player we recruited in last year.

Either they thought we didn't need any help in that area, thought our players on our list would have kicked on (they haven't) or thought KK could do what was necessary.

Agree re: handball/kick ratios. Will be interesting to see how these game styles all play out in finals.

You still are completely overrating KK, we’ve put a lot of faith in Lever and May. We didn’t set out to get KK, he was just a bonus.

Those who think that Goodwin is responsible for where Melbourne is now, also have to tar Paul Roos with the same brush.

You see, it is my understanding that one of the terms of Roos' agreement to coach Melbourne was to pick his own successor.

So Roos picked Goodwin. If you blame Goodwin for where Melbourne is this year, you can't then also say that Paul Roos is a genius.

Besides, the question needs to be asked why Roos isn't still coaching Melbourne. He said that he would only coach three years, and then would have to leave, so that they can move to Hawaii to be closer to his American wife's family.

So, then, it must be a doppleganger or a clone of Paul Roos sitting on "On The Couch" every week. I mean, he wouldn't lie and create an excuse to get out of his contract at Melbourne, would he?

One thing Goodwin has done is coach Melbourne to finals, something Roos, Neeld nor Bailey could achieve.

Goodwin wasn't the first choice successor. From memory, he was 3rd or 4th cab off the rank, with one of those prior picks being S.Dew. The issue with it was that Roos set himself a deadline to be at the helm so we didn't get an ideal candidate and then work out the retirement date, we picked the best candidate we had at the time that suited Roos' retirement plans.

Do your research. He spends all of the off season in Hawaii not the footy season. He didn't wanna be involved with pre season or list management strategies moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back