"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d want him gone if we didn’t go ham on that extension but alas he is safe for minimum 12 months, the assistants should be cleaned out though.
Revolving door of coaches has always gone well for this club.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apologies for intruding, but I think the calls to sack Goodwin after 6 rounds are a bit extreme.. although with that said, I can totally relate to your board's frustration, because it wasn't long ago that we experienced a similar thing with Dimma.

We started 2016 with a 1-6 record, and had a disastrous year that year, but it ultimately paid off in the end, because it taught Dimma (and honestly the whole club) some very hard lessons, and it made them spring into action and do something about it... I feel like Goodwin might be on a similar path with the Dees.

Also, he's only been in charge for just over 2 full seasons, and in that time, he's already won finals and taken you to a PF, which is more than Dimma did in his 7 years prior to the flag.

Ride it out with him, and I think at some point, he will deliver you guys a flag. Might seem a long way away right now, but the Dees time IS coming, and sacking him wouldn't solve anything at this stage.

I think you guys are just in for a bad year, but it won't be the end of things for your current group in years to come... and it's also important to not lump the failures of the past onto Goodwin's shoulders either, which is partly where I feel the fans frustration is coming from... very similar to why Dimma was hated by some Tigers fans.

Like I said to Dimma haters at the time on my own board, he wasn't responsible for the majority of the flag drought that Richmond had, and neither is Goodwin for the Dees.. he's only in his coaching infancy really, and everything up to this point has been on an upward trend.

None of this excuses the poor performances, but you do tend to learn more from your losses than you do your wins, so in years to come, Goodwin will be a more rounded and hardened coach.
Appreciate the sentiments. However, one of these things is not like the other. Hardwick took over a team at rock bottom. Goodwin took over a team on the rise. Hardwick helped build the team up from the bottom to 3 consecutive finals series, something they haven’t achieved in my lifetime. Goodwin’s Melbourne bottled a finals chance in year one by repeatedly not turning up in games where they were strong favourites. Hardwick’s team suffered in 2016 from essentially playing hero ball based around the big 4. Hardwick always had the love of the players and in turn had their back, I couldn’t state that of Goodwin.

Hardwick eventually swallowed his pride and with the assistance of a new coaching panel co-constructed a game plan with the players that they could work with and thrive upon. Goodwin’s team is too one dimensional. Hardwick had his best players on the park for the majority of 3 + years. Goodwin has Dave Misson and co. Hardwick seems like a good bloke. Goodwin seems like Bill Lumbergh.

I agree he won’t be sacked. I hope he learns harsh lessons, the assistants are cleared out and we have a similar turnaround to Collingwood/Richmond.

I also think if anything we’ve kept our powder pretty dry on Goodwin ala our horrific drought. But the fact remains that trends under his stewardship are poor selection moves, mystifyingly leaving injured players out there, a high press zone defence that is easily blown to pieces, inefficiency in the forward line, an inept record at our home ground and repeatedly not turning up when required or delivering when favourites.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So you wouldn’t give him the flick if we miss finals in 2020?
If we finished 9th but played to a tight structure, were competitive in all areas but had a swathe of injuries that were fatal to any premiership chances then I’d be happy to keep him. If we finished 4th with a soft draw but still couldn’t win on the G, still faltered in big games and still had a terribly, inefficient structure, then yes.
Finals aren’t the be all and end all, if we had somehow won the Port and Essendon games playing the same style I’d be just as concerned at 3-3 as I am at 1-5.

So you wouldn’t give him the flick if we miss finals in 2020?

If Alistair Clarkson wanted to come over I wouldn't knock him back.

I think coaches tend to learn on the job and taking a punt on a new bloke who has to build relationships with all the players, learn what makes them tick and then implement a completely new play style is a bigger risk than sticking with someone who has been there and could be rejuvenated if surrounded by the right people.

Unless he's lost the players I wouldn't be getting rid of him any time soon. Where would Richmond be if they sacked Hardwick in 2016? Where would Collingwood be if they sacked Buckley in 2017? Where would Geelong be if they sacked Thompson in 2006?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think people need to read the thread, it was originally a parting shot at those questioning Goodwin this time last year.

I don’t think anyone seriously wants Goodwin gone now, moreso questioning the long term reappointment.
Why wouldn’t people want Goodwin gone? You could argue he has seriously struggled to adapt to certain conditions and our off season recruiting was inept with regards to addressing key areas in in which we are getting found out in 2019.

Yes I know Goodwin isn’t the recruiting department, but he is the head coach and has a pretty and final say in what is going into his starting 22.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why wouldn’t people want Goodwin gone? You could argue he has seriously struggled to adapt to certain conditions and our off season recruiting was inept with regards to addressing key areas in in which we are getting found out in 2019.

Yes I know Goodwin isn’t the recruiting department, but he is the head coach and has a pretty and final say in what is going into his starting 22.

I agree we're not going to sack anyone this year, but we've struggled to play consistent football under Goodwin for three years. Personally I think we play a dumb brand of football that seems to be his preferred game plan as much as its also driven by limitations of some players. At least he finally started changing things up yesterday, but he didn't achieve much swinging the magnets around from an overall performance point of view. This year is now going to be a write off but once we start getting some cattle back on the park, results need to improve. If we're a bottom four side come the end of the season, everyone's positions should be scrutinized. People can point at Bomber Thompson, Buckley and Hardwick, but you can also point at Voss, Neeld, Terry Wallace, etc... no one would get sacked if it was just a matter of giving them enough time to turn things around. If a good candidate somehow becomes available this off-season and we finish bottom 4, you'd hope the club would look at them.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I agree we're not going to sack anyone this year, but we've struggled to play consistent football under Goodwin for three years. Personally I think we play a dumb brand of football that seems to be his preferred game plan as much as its also driven by limitations of some players. At least he finally started changing things up yesterday, but he didn't achieve much swinging the magnets around from an overall performance point of view. This year is now going to be a write off but once we start getting some cattle back on the park, results need to improve. If we're a bottom four side come the end of the season, everyone's positions should be scrutinized. People can point at Bomber Thompson, Buckley and Hardwick, but you can also point at Voss, Neeld, Terry Wallace, etc... no one would get sacked if it was just a matter of giving them enough time to turn things around. If a good candidate somehow becomes available this off-season and we finish bottom 4, you'd hope the club would look at them.

It's not gonna happen. We can't afford to pay out 1.5m or maybe more for the 3 years he's contracted

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not gonna happen. We can't afford to pay out 1.5m or maybe more for the 3 years he's contracted

If this is his game plan and we keep playing horrific football, we can't afford to keep a dud in the hot seat. It was a mistake to give him such a long extension, but if he's not cutting the mustard and someone else becomes available who can, then we're better off paying him out rather than compounding the mistake and keeping him on because its cheaper to keep her.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If this is his game plan and we keep playing horrific football, we can't afford to keep a dud in the hot seat. It was a mistake to give him such a long extension, but if he's not cutting the mustard and someone else becomes available who can, then we're better off paying him out rather than compounding the mistake and keeping him on because its cheaper to keep her.

Mate I completely agree in theory but I just don't think we can afford a 1.5m - 2m payout

Club barely has that in the bank

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate I completely agree in theory but I just don't think we can afford a 1.5m - 2m payout

Club barely has that in the bank

I'd imagine if you compare the cost for a season or two of completely inept football to that, we'd likely still be better off paying him out.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'd imagine if you compare the cost for a season or two of completely inept football to that, we'd likely still be better off paying him out.

The new guy might come in and change they style which likely won't pay off right away especially with the list set up for one style. So we would still stay average but be out a *load of money which means no new assistants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Because you give him a chance to work through things, learn grow and adapt. You can’t sack him on the back of 4-5 bad performances.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The new guy might come in and change they style which likely won't pay off right away especially with the list set up for one style. So we would still stay average but be out a ****load of money which means no new assistants.

You're going to have that transition period anyway with a new coach, so why delay it? The aim should be to get the club heading in the right direction as soon as possible. If it turns out Crazy Goody is not the right man for the gig, we're better off ripping the bandaid off sooner rather than later. Issue is we're not sure whether he is the man for the gig or not.

Because you give him a chance to work through things, learn grow and adapt. You can’t sack him on the back of 4-5 bad performances.

That's if you look at this season in isolation. We haven't played consistently well for much of the time he's been here; was always a struggle to be a week-to-week four quarter team. We had a few good runs of form last year, but have also failed to launch plenty of times when the biscuits were on the line. The doubts aren't all based on this start of this season.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You're going to have that transition period anyway with a new coach, so why delay it? The aim should be to get the club heading in the right direction as soon as possible. If it turns out Crazy Goody is not the right man for the gig, we're better off ripping the bandaid off sooner rather than later. Issue is we're not sure whether he is the man for the gig or not.

That's if you look at this season in isolation. We haven't played consistently well for much of the time he's been here; was always a struggle to be a week-to-week four quarter team. We had a few good runs of form last year, but have also failed to launch plenty of times when the biscuits were on the line. The doubts aren't all based on this start of this season.

I just don't think Garry Perts first bit of business will be to put the club back 10 years financially. Its not even my opinion on Goody, we simply can't financially afford to do it

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Money aside it would be rediculous to sack Goodwin without giving him a chance to turn it around. Sure we had issues last year but we got it right at the right time and made a prelim. Having a horror year next year and the pressure is on.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Money aside it would be rediculous to sack Goodwin without giving him a chance to turn it around. Sure we had issues last year but we got it right at the right time and made a prelim. Having a horror year next year and the pressure is on.

I'd call the rest of this year his chance to turn it around. If he can't, why not?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Had we lost to the cats in the elimination final would you be so forgiving? I don't think last year was all that impressive aside from 4 games at the end of the year.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just don't think Garry Perts first bit of business will be to put the club back 10 years financially. Its not even my opinion on Goody, we simply can't financially afford to do it

The club turns over $50M a year. Burning $1.5M isn't ideal but its not going to set us back 10 years.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Had we lost to the cats in the elimination final would you be so forgiving? I don't think last year was all that impressive aside from 4 games at the end of the year.

What if we won the prelim and made the GF?

Ifs and buts.

For the record even if we lost the EF I would be as forgiving. Making the finals was a big tick for the club last year.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So last year we had a profit of 500k but that was from selling off assets. So club wouldn't recoup the money for 3 seasons at best

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What if we won the prelim and made the GF?

Ifs and buts.

For the record even if we lost the EF I would be as forgiving. Making the finals was a big tick for the club last year.

Then we would be Luke Beveridge and the dogs. One trick ponys and garbage since

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I'd call the rest of this year his chance to turn it around. If he can't, why not?

Give him another pre season to get the players fit, restructure the game plan.

Its just way to early to pull the pin, there is no guarantee a replacement coming will do a better job.

The footy landscape has changed the last 3 years, clubs are giving coaches more faith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back