"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been stubbornly against Gawn as captain because I hate the best player as captain s**t. Just because you play well doesn't make you a captain. Tony Lockett and Buddy Franklin prove this.

However I am sick of the Viney Jones captaincy. Neither are true leaders at this point, even if Gawn is symbolicaly captain for 2 years I think we need to make the change.
Wouldn't really be a case of best player as captain though. Plugger and Buddy are both reclusive shy types off field. Gawn isn't. He's an entrepreneur who loves having his face on camera and does a shitload of media.

If all there is to coaching is letting the players do their thing, sounds like we'd be better off sacking the lot of them and letting our stars strut their stuff unencumbered by discipline and tactics. All in favour?

If all there is to coaching is letting the players do their thing, sounds like we'd be better off sacking the lot of them and letting our stars strut their stuff unencumbered by discipline and tactics. All in favour?
Like it, now we just need to find some stars

I know you're taking the piss, but I was actually thinking giving it over to the players to decide what they are good at, where they should play, etc. For the last month would be a lot more instructive for our club than more "sticking to our structures". We don't need more application of effort on our structures. Our structures are BS. We need to start playing football again and bring in some new ideas and enthusiasm. Essentially that's all Shaw and Teague have done at Nth/Carl - they're not coaching savants, they've just backed off the obsessive man- management and structures talk and made some simple, logical changes.

Of course, that's not actually going to happen. Goody has to pretend he still has a plan...

I know you're taking the piss, but I was actually thinking giving it over to the players to decide what they are good at, where they should play, etc. For the last month would be a lot more instructive for our club than more "sticking to our structures". We don't need more application of effort on our structures. Our structures are BS. We need to start playing football again and bring in some new ideas and enthusiasm. Essentially that's all Shaw and Teague have done at Nth/Carl - they're not coaching savants, they've just backed off the obsessive man- management and structures talk and made some simple, logical changes.

Of course, that's not actually going to happen. Goody has to pretend he still has a plan...

I'm just surprised that with all the ludicrous and stupid things AFL players tend to do that the consensus here is that giving the players the reins is an improvement on some coaches. I don't think you can just chalk up Norf and Carlton's recent uptick as being the players getting more freedom to play their natural games.

I'm just surprised that with all the ludicrous and stupid things AFL players tend to do that the consensus here is that giving the players the reins is an improvement on some coaches. I don't think you can just chalk up Norf and Carlton's recent uptick as being the players getting more freedom to play their natural games.
I'm not suggesting the players shouldn't all get on the same page. They shouldn't just roam around to their hearts content, but would it not be interesting to see how the players see their own natural game and whether the coaches could try to work with that and get players doing more of what they're best at? I feel like we are too often a bunch of round pegs in square holes. Goody strikes me as a stubborn bastard who doesn't shift his ideas easily.

As far as North and Carlton goes, what exactly have been the innovations that Shaw and Teague have brought to those teams. I can't see anything more dramatic than things like Ziebell going back into the middle (Scott was parking him in the forward line and he didn't really like it. Not his natural spot, which is my point), and letting them off the chain a bit more. It's mostly change of scenery stuff and a lot more positivity around the place. Let's see how long it lasts.

I'm not suggesting the players shouldn't all get on the same page. They shouldn't just roam around to their hearts content, but would it not be interesting to see how the players see their own natural game and whether the coaches could try to work with that and get players doing more of what they're best at? I feel like we are too often a bunch of round pegs in square holes. Goody strikes me as a stubborn bastard who doesn't shift his ideas easily.

As far as North and Carlton goes, what exactly have been the innovations that Shaw and Teague have brought to those teams. I can't see anything more dramatic than things like Ziebell going back into the middle (Scott was parking him in the forward line and he didn't really like it. Not his natural spot, which is my point), and letting them off the chain a bit more. It's mostly change of scenery stuff and a lot more positivity around the place. Let's see how long it lasts.

Can't really say as being Carlton and Norf, I don't go out of my way to watch those clubs (actively avoid it, to be honest). Could just be the burst of positivity / new lease of life when a change happens and players pull their finger out (ie Solksjaer at Man Utd). Teague is more the one I'm interested in as he seems to have gotten Carlton playing as more than the sum of their parts - I don't think much of their team, so to pull the results out of his arse that he has, it's a disservice to suggest that he's just allowed the many potatoes in his match-day squad to play instinctively. Shaw on the other hand could just be that brief improvement in results and seems like he's getting something like par performances out of the players, whereas they were a rabble under Scott this year.

Moving the pieces around on the board is a bit of a difference. Ziebell can play forward, has done it before in his career, but if one coach decides to use him as a forward and another as a midfielder, then that's not the players getting more freedom to "express themselves", that's a conscious tactical difference.

Can't really say as being Carlton and Norf, I don't go out of my way to watch those clubs (actively avoid it, to be honest). Could just be the burst of positivity / new lease of life when a change happens and players pull their finger out (ie Solksjaer at Man Utd). Teague is more the one I'm interested in as he seems to have gotten Carlton playing as more than the sum of their parts - I don't think much of their team, so to pull the results out of his arse that he has, it's a disservice to suggest that he's just allowed the many potatoes in his match-day squad to play instinctively. Shaw on the other hand could just be that brief improvement in results and seems like he's getting something like par performances out of the players, whereas they were a rabble under Scott this year.

Moving the pieces around on the board is a bit of a difference. Ziebell can play forward, has done it before in his career, but if one coach decides to use him as a forward and another as a midfielder, then that's not the players getting more freedom to "express themselves", that's a conscious tactical difference.
But how could Teague have implemented anything serious. They have like 2 main sessions a week for a few hours so how could you possibly implement a strategy with that time

But how could Teague have implemented anything serious. They have like 2 main sessions a week for a few hours so how could you possibly implement a strategy with that time
Teague was already at the club. It’s not like he’s come from nowhere - sure he might not have implemented anything new but being caretaker allows him to enhance what he was already doing. We don’t know how much of strategy etc he was already responsible for. Makes sense to pick a caretaker that you think will make the greatest short term difference based on their existing impact at the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'caretaker' phenomenon is real. You could have inanimate carbon rod as caretaker coach in its first game and the team would win.

Shaw and Teague (if he gets the job) will both get found out next year when the heat is on. Ratten will do well however regardless cause hes a solid coach already.
I think Shaw has potential tbh, but i agree on Teague. Once a coach gets a set plan and gamestyle it can go to s**t, both are going well because they're playing unrestricted atm.

Remember all Bolton won like 4 or 5 in a row in his first year and people thought they where right for getting this man. Just because Teague can get them to win 3 in a row now, doesn't mean he can do that under 'his list' in a couple of seasons time

Although it is worth noting Plough and Roos where both caretaker coaches and where able to turn things around at their respective clubs. (although plough lost a bit of reputation for a stint at richmond you can't argue he's quick turn around of footscray was great)

The 'caretaker' phenomenon is real. You could have inanimate carbon rod as caretaker coach in its first game and the team would win.

Shaw and Teague (if he gets the job) will both get found out next year when the heat is on. Ratten will do well however regardless cause hes a solid coach already.
That's just regression to the mean. Taking over a club in crisis will usually mean an eventual reverting back to the crisis even if a caretaker can manufacture temporary respite.

Ligandrol, which Shayna Jack has allegedly tested positive to, is the same drug that Dank used on an "essendon staffer"

Why does Goodwin insist on player shuffling so much?

Hunt trained down back all year, played forward and eventually found form, now is playing down back again. I feel sorry for him.

Has been good so far tonight, to be fair. Liked his game a lot.

Agree re: the player shuffling. JKH needs to stop being shuffled out of the VFL.

I've been thinking about where 2019 sits in the pantheon on deplorable MFC seasons I've witnessed. I think without hyperbole, this might be the worst I've seen, given the that the team is capable of playing finals football.

Extended Goodwin's contract was a ridiculous, knee-jerk decision that is indicative of a club like our that accepts mediocrity. Last years prelim debacle raised a lot of red flags, once again, about the mentally fragility of our team and the cognitive paralysis in the coaches box. IMO Port and Geelong have made similar diabolical errors extended the contracts of their two coaches, also whom are reactionary and have no idea.

The fact that we celebrated so hard beating the Gold Coast by 1 point on the season just went to show that we dont have high standards. We never even fired a shot this season and honestly, we're lucky Gold Coast have choked several times this season, otherwise we'd be deservedly collecting another wooden spoon.

Goodwin has already lost me and I'm honestly just waiting out the next few years until he's gone.

Why does Goodwin insist on player shuffling so much?

Hunt trained down back all year, played forward and eventually found form, now is playing down back again. I feel sorry for him.
Can't go through a whole season with 5 wins and just play the same blokes in the same places. That would be ludicrously stupid.

Hunts not a very good forward. He did a good job down there but Melksham and Fritsch are the mid sized leading forwards which is how Hunt plays. He doesn't crumb, he doesn't pressure especially well and he doesn't assist goals. He was your bread and butter hit up forward.

Can't go through a whole season with 5 wins and just play the same blokes in the same places. That would be ludicrously stupid.

Hunts not a very good forward. He did a good job down there but Melksham and Fritsch are the mid sized leading forwards which is how Hunt plays. He doesn't crumb, he doesn't pressure especially well and he doesn't assist goals. He was your bread and butter hit up forward.

Reckon you're doing him a disservice there. He showed a bit of inclination to crumb and jagged a few goals that way. He's our 2nd leading goal scorer behind Petracca, who should be playing more midfield minutes. Pretty sure we can find room in the front 6 for both Fritsch and Hunt. Melksham should be in the magoos, or perhaps the VFL reserves. Shocking player.

Bro, it’s equally stupid if that’s your only response. And that has been our only reaponse

Audi 5000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back