"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are keeping Goodwin then we need to get in an assistant who is hard as * on the players none of this buddy buddy bullshit. ******* over how ok everything seems to be going like get ****ed have an assistant absolutely blast the players. Get rocket in ffs to give out a few rockets instead of its ok its part of the journey dog s**t. Oh that's right McCartney got the ass cause he had emotion and wasn't part of the cuddle club. If any club in the AFL epitomizes the its ok everybody gets a ******* trophy bullshit society we now live in its this piss weak campaigner of a club. Poor players wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. Hardwick is such a good coach cause he will give a spray and the players react the bloke has many gears, oh he can also ******* coach. When the * have you ever seen Goodwin give a spray or demand more from his players at any break? Or even have a different look besides his dumb campaigner 1 he has. Name 1 premiership coach in the history of the game who not once gave out a spray.

who would be the main candidates to replace him?
we'd have to speak to Ross Lyon, I'm more keen on him by the day, must have a huge feeling of unfinished business.

Voss, would be worth speaking to- although unlike Ratten hasn't spent time under an elite coach after being sacked.

Sam Mitchell? I think we need someone experienced.

Would love to get Yze in as an assistant, spent close to 10 years under Clarko.

Any others?
Ross Lyon, Michael Voss as you mentioned would be good targets as would Robert Harvey. I don't think the Dees will be in a position to move Goodwin even if they want too until the end of next year.

What would you guys do this week Team wise? I'd get Bennell in play him up forward chances are his class will be a helping hand in some goals. I'd plant Tom McDonald deep forward and bring in Weiderman as another option to goal. Get a Win this week with games still to come against the Crows, Swans, Dockers and North could be plenty of light at the end of the tunnel.

What would you guys do this week Team wise? I'd get Bennell in play him up forward chances are his class will be a helping hand in some goals. I'd plant Tom McDonald deep forward and bring in Weiderman as another option to goal. Get a Win this week with games still to come against the Crows, Swans, Dockers and North could be plenty of light at the end of the tunnel.
Bennell and Weid would be handy like you said. Putting McDonald behind the ball or on the wing could also help him get some form.
I am not confident about any of those games, despite the weak opposition, and even if we do win that could just mask the problems again. Players/coaches think everything is dandy because we beat a woeful Adelaide, or North missing cunners and Ziebell.

Bennell and Weid would be handy like you said. Putting McDonald behind the ball or on the wing could also help him get some form.
I am not confident about any of those games, despite the weak opposition, and even if we do win that could just mask the problems again. Players/coaches think everything is dandy because we beat a woeful Adelaide, or North missing cunners and Ziebell.
Depends where you think the Club is at. I merely enjoy every Win and see where it builds too each Season. I thought Tomlinson was stiff don't mind him but glad too see Bennell and Weid come into the line up. Huge game for both Club's they've been in this position before where they have started well and then collapsed & Rowell is a significant loss. I think the Dees can Win an arm wrestle.

As the media seems reluctant to ask Goodwin any thing remotely resembling a question that deserves an honest answer , and then he gives a press conference that answers no questions that the supporters want answered , i ask whats the point? I am not going to tag his press conference, but a spiritless android would sound more human than his effort . "Its just noise" is it ? "We are working hard are we"? Then why do our players look like they have no idea what to do?. Can't wait to see how you play a team all out of position that they played in before you got your hands on them and decided that this was how you were going to make a statement . As much as i want to pile the blame on Goodwin , the players need to answer what the * they are doing out on the ground. Show something you pillocks!!.
If we are the bookies favourites to win this game , then there must be some money laundry going on with this .
I am a Victorian , hang in there brothers and sisters , my mother lived through the London blitz . We will get through this .

Was thinking about last nights game Collingwood v Hawthorn. Hawks only managing 3 goals for the game. If Clarkson is struggling with the current state of the game then what chance does goody have. Here's the thing we are so easy to score against the way we play. We go quickly which I get but we don't have the players with the smarts and skills to implement it. I can see us having a lot of 4-5 goal losses without actually ever being in the game like the west coast game. We might pinch wins against teams that are more attacking but probably will only scrap it out with the Adelaide freo and Sydney. Any team that is competent at defending we are screwed.

I am a Victorian , hang in there brothers and sisters , my mother lived through the London blitz . We will get through this .

Not sure if you're talking about COVID-19 or Melbourne being s**t.

Was thinking about last nights game Collingwood v Hawthorn. Hawks only managing 3 goals for the game. If Clarkson is struggling with the current state of the game then what chance does goody have. Here's the thing we are so easy to score against the way we play. We go quickly which I get but we don't have the players with the smarts and skills to implement it. I can see us having a lot of 4-5 goal losses without actually ever being in the game like the west coast game. We might pinch wins against teams that are more attacking but probably will only scrap it out with the Adelaide freo and Sydney. Any team that is competent at defending we are screwed.

hawthorn/Clarkson pissed me off so much last night. They had a ton of the ball, possessed and controlled it for ages, but refused to take any risk/attempt to actually win or even come back in the game.

as much as I hate watching us play right now, in many ways, Hawks last night were worse - it’s one thing to be s**t but give effort, it’s another to have all the skills but make no attempt to win the game of footy

s**t footy to watch all round.

We hope Goodwin can sort this mess out but if things keep deteriorating like this, might have to think outside the box. We can't realistically sack Goodwin and replace him in the current circumstances, but we can sack him and not replace him.

We have a senior coach already on our books, and sure Alan Richardson is no great or maybe not even a mediocre head coach, and yet could be a better option. If Goodwin's position becomes untenable, last resort may be to give Richardson another crack at a senior gig for the next two years. Would quell fans, or largely confuse them, for at least 2 weeks.

As the media seems reluctant to ask Goodwin any thing remotely resembling a question that deserves an honest answer , and then he gives a press conference that answers no questions that the supporters want answered , i ask whats the point? I am not going to tag his press conference, but a spiritless android would sound more human than his effort . "Its just noise" is it ? "We are working hard are we"? Then why do our players look like they have no idea what to do?. Can't wait to see how you play a team all out of position that they played in before you got your hands on them and decided that this was how you were going to make a statement . As much as i want to pile the blame on Goodwin , the players need to answer what the fu** they are doing out on the ground. Show something you pillocks!!.
If we are the bookies favourites to win this game , then there must be some money laundry going on with this .
Mate here in lies the problem.

There was a huge drop off supporters/members over summer after what happened in 2019. The events of this year haven't helped, but I would say a huge percentage of welded on supporters are feeling that exact same. As much as this season has seen a change with crowds, playing times, venues and hubs, the one thing that has stayed the same has been disappointing Melbourne performances.

As much as I felt there were reasons for last years drop off, not excuses but reasons, I've accepted I am wrong about them. Honestly, I have a feeling of hopelessness and despondence akin to 2013 before Neeld was sacked. The performances and the team are not that bad, but the reality of being so far away from anything remotely successful is just depressing.

Nearly every poster on this thread could talk about how much they've spent on membership/attendance etc over past few years. I'm 11 years trident member at 450odd a year, 5 year AFL member at 400 odd a year, and I just don't get the happiness or enjoyment to justify renewing next year. Footy overall is unwatchable, and the errors from the team are so consistent with what they were last year. I feel with what my financial contribution has been to the club over past decade, I could have come in as a part time coach and highlighted the basic fundamental errors that we all get to watch weekly.

It's absolute crap. The players obviously are having a crack, you can see that. But they are either so over coached or complicated, or have no idea what is actually expected of them. The skill errors highlight this as players seem so indecisive to what they're meant to be doing. When they finally make a decision it's either under added pressure or they don't think about follow up/secondary efforts since they're so keen to get rid of the ball.

I'm so disenfranchised with the club with Goodwin as coach. Every press conference is the same, each week the same errors happen, whenever I hear him speak now I just shake my head.

I was one of the most fanatical and passionate supporters you'd find. If I've given up on this club from that level of support, then I hate to imagine how other supporters are feeling. The sad reality for the club is the financial implications of loss of supporters/membership will not only be felt this year/next, but the next generation of supporters will be borderline non existent.

I hate to sound like a woe is me campaigner but the reality is this club sucks the enjoyment out of you, and bar 4 games in 2018, the disappointment has been a common theme supporting this club.

Maybe Clarko is getting old and struggling to adapt? Easier to try and change the rules with meetings at AFL house than it is to change the way he sees footy?

hawthorn/Clarkson pissed me off so much last night. They had a ton of the ball, possessed and controlled it for ages, but refused to take any risk/attempt to actually win or even come back in the game.

as much as I hate watching us play right now, in many ways, Hawks last night were worse - it’s one thing to be sh*t but give effort, it’s another to have all the skills but make no attempt to win the game of footy

sh*t footy to watch all round.

Was a snooze fest. On the game day thread a Collingwood supporter said they would rather lose than win playing that boring style of game. I though I disagree winning is always better but a get the sentiment Collingwood were happy to get a lead and stay in control. I was expecting Hawthorn to try something different but nothing happened until the last quarter. Hopefully next week we get the crap Hawthorn but it will rely on us defending well and then taking risk ourselves. If we leak goals Hawthorn will take risk. I'm just afraid of the Geelong fiasco.

Maybe Clarko is getting old and struggling to adapt? Easier to try and change the rules with meetings at AFL house than it is to change the way he sees footy?
Yeah was hard to pay attention but he didn't seem to try something different. Perhaps Hawthorn don't have to cattle to play that patient kicking game which landed them 3 premierships in a row. Much like we don't have the cattle to beat the zoning. It's kind of strange that the 6-6-6 was meant to make it higher scoring but hasn't done much at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a fair bit of woe is me in this thread. Not much fun to be around this place. I agree that this is all pretty s**t, but the world is a far shitter place without having a footy club to support. Wasn't that long ago that we were desperate for the team to be competitive. Remember giving the side a standing ovation for being 3 points down at HT to West Coast in 2013, and then being beaten by 15 goals in the second half?

We've not been anywhere near a blowout this year, which tells me that the players are either very talented and not trying, not at all talented but trying very hard or - most likely - talented, trying hard but very much misguided. My personal view is that Goodwin needs to go for the good of the side, but he has 2.5 years of his contract left and the club is essentially out of cash so we really do need to pray that something 'clicks'. Stranger things have happened. If we can get our key players back into form, like Gawn, Oliver, Fritsch, Viney, Brayshaw, Lever, May, McDonald - then the fringe players will follow.

This bloody lockdown is going to be hard, but its nice to have live sport to look forward to again. Find myself watching 4-6 games a weekend at the moment, often just in the background.

There's a fair bit of woe is me in this thread. Not much fun to be around this place. I agree that this is all pretty sh*t, but the world is a far shitter place without having a footy club to support. Wasn't that long ago that we were desperate for the team to be competitive. Remember giving the side a standing ovation for being 3 points down at HT to West Coast in 2013, and then being beaten by 15 goals in the second half?

FMD, the Neeld years were absurd.

I remember excitedly going to a Sunday twilight game at the MCG because we were playing Gold Coast who were the only team more terrible than us at that stage. They beat us by ten goals and one supporter started waving a white flag in the stands.

There's a fair bit of woe is me in this thread. Not much fun to be around this place. I agree that this is all pretty sh*t, but the world is a far shitter place without having a footy club to support. Wasn't that long ago that we were desperate for the team to be competitive. Remember giving the side a standing ovation for being 3 points down at HT to West Coast in 2013, and then being beaten by 15 goals in the second half?

We've not been anywhere near a blowout this year, which tells me that the players are either very talented and not trying, not at all talented but trying very hard or - most likely - talented, trying hard but very much misguided. My personal view is that Goodwin needs to go for the good of the side, but he has 2.5 years of his contract left and the club is essentially out of cash so we really do need to pray that something 'clicks'. Stranger things have happened. If we can get our key players back into form, like Gawn, Oliver, Fritsch, Viney, Brayshaw, Lever, May, McDonald - then the fringe players will follow.

This bloody lockdown is going to be hard, but its nice to have live sport to look forward to again. Find myself watching 4-6 games a weekend at the moment, often just in the background.
There's a fair bit of difference our list now and in 2013. Our 2013 list was daylight behind the rest of the comp it wasn't funny not including the baby gws team. This team I believe is capable with not only competing but actually beating most teams yet the last 18 months we are getting neeld era results as in win loss record. We can't keep accepting mediocrity we'll get nowhere. I get that we are stuck with Goodwin but something is seriously broken at the club.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, in essence this is the trouble.

The World is a worse place recently, absolutely, but the people who found joy in footy outside of their work/personal life, and donated wages to membership are the ones who have stopped enjoying the return from this club.

Goodwin's payout may in fact be a lot cheaper than the alternative.

as much as I hate watching us play right now, in many ways, Hawks last night were worse - it’s one thing to be sh*t but give effort, it’s another to have all the skills but make no attempt to win the game of footy

sh*t footy to watch all round.
Hawthorn were horrific! As much as I admire Tom Mitchell's ball winning ability his effectiveness of short little kicks or handballs too a team mate in no real better position was evident. Dees can get them next week!

If you don't beat the Crows this week, I think that would be the players making a huge statement against the coach. Their attitude should tell you everything you need to know.

If you don't beat the Crows this week, I think that would be the players making a huge statement against the coach. Their attitude should tell you everything you need to know.
More to do with them and the club culture than the coach. We can't afford a repeat of hiring tough guy Neeld to replace nice guy Bailey. IMO we need to do everything we can to get Roos back either as senior coach or as head of footy if Goodwin goes.

Can't stand Cornes but he is pretty right here.
I think the media has absoloutely nailed what's wrong with us this year. Cornes is correct, there's no shepherding around contests, they all just wanna win the ball and handball it to the next guy to get their stats looking nice. Oliver would never take a 15 disposal game to help Petracca play better. The only one who wanted to was Harmes and they shot him out of the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back