"Sack Goodwin!"

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
A the losses mount so will the pressure....injuries aren't an excuse if you actually break it down.

It was a poor move to extend Goodwin before the season started but the club has money in the bank so just because he has the years on the contract doesn't mean the trigger won't be pulled!

I don’t think injuries are an excuse either but to sack Goodwin now would be an incredibly stupid move. Also if you were an actual ITK you’d know the club expects to make a loss this year (They said as much in the financial report from 2018, and we have no marquee games this year). A 1m+ payout (And that’s being conservative) isn’t going to be added onto that bottom line.

The sharks are circling it will be goodwin or the entire assistant coaching set up that will be gone.

Signed a 4 year deal. Has shown linear improvement for each year except for this year.

Goodwin is safe as houses.

The fact we kept the same assistant coaching group from last year might have been a mistake though. I would expect a couple of them to be moved on at years end

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
A few interesting articles released this week highlight the difficulties we've faced this year.

• We are ranked #1 for games lost due to injury - much of which is just down to bad luck (and yes some mismanagement).
  • We are ranked #2 in draw difficulty so far in 2019. This is due to our strong position last year, and also improvement from unexpected teams.
  • Our goal kicking has also turned to s**t. According to a Fox Sports article, we have the second worst 'expected to actual accuracy ratio'. This is something that can be relatively easily fixed with practice and confidence (accuracy in front of goal was a highlight for us in 2018).
Excuses excuses, but when you factor in injuries while navigating the draw, and missed our opportunities, it makes life difficult for any coach.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I find draw difficulty one of the bigger wanks. If you can't beat enough good teams to make finals you don't deserve to be there, that and for instance the WC would be considered the hardest game in any draw yet WC played poorly and we should have won. StKilda would be considered piss easy but they played us really well at the G and were in really good form.

I find draw difficulty one of the bigger wanks. If you can't beat enough good teams to make finals you don't deserve to be there, that and for instance the WC would be considered the hardest game in any draw yet WC played poorly and we should have won. StKilda would be considered piss easy but they played us really well at the G and were in really good form.
If we finish top next year off an easy draw I certainly won't be complaining.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Exactly. Furthermore, our draw doesn’t get really ‘difficult’ until now. If we hadn’t blown the ‘easy’ games to s**t i.e. Port, Dons, Saints etc. I could maybe buy the ‘hard’ draw excuse.

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
really excuses for years is what we accepted for years and if you look at all the best teams/clubs around the world they never dish up excuses.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
A the losses mount so will the pressure....injuries aren't an excuse if you actually break it down.

It was a poor move to extend Goodwin before the season started but the club has money in the bank so just because he has the years on the contract doesn't mean the trigger won't be pulled!
If you post this stuff without the exclamation marks you might draw in a few more buyers (perhaps)

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Between round 18 & 22 it will be over for Goodwin....tough run of fixtures and injuries aren't an excuse just look at the data today on the AFL website and you'll see what those internally at the club already know and thats injuries aren't an excuse for the performances being put forward.

The real excuse is lack of structure behind or forward of the ball.
Who at the club would want to sack Goodwin? The members aren't restless yet. No one in the media is baying for Goodwins blood. If the club did sack Goodwin this year it would have to be the first coach in AFL history to be sacked before serving a day of their new contract. No one at the club would even entertain that idea because if they did suddenly members would be asking for Pert & the boards head.
And just say they were thinking about making such a stupid move I highly doubt they'd tell you.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Who at the club would want to sack Goodwin? The members aren't restless yet. No one in the media is baying for Goodwins blood. If the club did sack Goodwin this year it would have to be the first coach in AFL history to be sacked before serving a day of their new contract. No one at the club would even entertain that idea because if they did suddenly members would be asking for Pert & the boards head.
And just say they were thinking about making such a stupid move I highly doubt they'd tell you.
(He’s making s**t up - ignore it)

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Everyone in the media has let them off the hook because of the carlton/North issues but its being discussed and brewing.

If the ship keeps sailing in this direction the jungle drums will be beating louder and louder. Get smashed by the pies this weekend watch the heat publicly get turned up

Everyone in the media has let them off the hook because of the carlton/North issues but its being discussed and brewing.

If the ship keeps sailing in this direction the jungle drums will be beating louder and louder. Get smashed by the pies this weekend watch the heat publicly get turned up

You need some new material. Everyone knows this year is shot. Goodwin is getting some leeway this year, if we play like this next year the torch will go on him. We won't though. All teams have unexpected down years now and then.

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
All teams have unexpected down years? Spoken like someone who accepts losing and failure.

Thats whats wrong with the Dee's.

All teams have unexpected down years? Spoken like someone who accepts losing and failure.

Thats whats wrong with the Dee's.

A supporter looking at the history of football and drawing a correlation is what's wrong with the Dees? Yeah, okay.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
i'll await the apologies when everyone is calling for his head in 4 weeks time
Mate I’m no fan of Goodwin but its just not realistic to think the club will sack him with this long left on his contract, the club can’t afford it and the optics would be terrible having just signed him to an extension.

The decision to sign him to 2 more years was comical and incompetence of the highest order but they aren’t turning their back on it after 4 months.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans

If it got rid of Pert it would almost be worth it!

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just read it as a Damien Barrett sliding doors moment.
Yes, a Damien Barrett sliding doors moment works like this:

"if something happens, other things may or may not happen that may or may not be a consequence of first said happening."

It's a powerful analytical tool - best used only by experts.

Back