"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally live a very hollow life so even Melbourne disappointment is usually a highlight of the weekend. Keen for Saturday
My life is a bundle of s**t but staring at a wall reflecting on my bundle of s**t was still an improvement on being subject to our ball movement forward

Goodwin deserves a whipping this year, but if anyone thinks we're paying out somebody contracted to 2022 they've never had a look at our finances.
Absolutely. If he were to be out the door before then, it would be due to a ‘mutual agreement’. After giving up the pokies and what is sure to be an awful financial loss for 19/20, we sadly won’t be tearing up contracts willy nilly.

All this said we were 9 points across two games in this round alone from being bottom of the ladder. It would’ve been so Melbourne to endure more disappointment in a week when we didn’t play. It’s time for those involved at the club to wake up to themselves and perform/review the s**t out of non-performance.

I’ve seen enough of Goodwin and Jennings now to have lost all confidence them. Goody is all sunshine and unicorns while Jennings seems to be like russel Crowe in A beautiful mind.
I’m curious as to who reviews the football department at the end of the year. Surely they don’t review themselves? But you’d also assume it wouldn’t be Pert and Bartlett either. Do they get in someone external to try and make an objective assessment?

I’ve seen enough of Goodwin and Jennings now to have lost all confidence them. Goody is all sunshine and unicorns while Jennings seems to be like russel Crowe in A beautiful mind.
I’m curious as to who reviews the football department at the end of the year. Surely they don’t review themselves? But you’d also assume it wouldn’t be Pert and Bartlett either. Do they get in someone external to try and make an objective assessment?

Josh Mahoney would, I'd imagine, given he's the GM.

At its core, football is a simple game. Win the ball, control the ball, score. We can win the ball but suck at the other two and through terrible design have a game plan that works to inflict maximum pain upon us on the days where we do not win the ball.

This sort of stuff has to be sheeted home to the coaches. Goodwin deserves kudos for some of the performances he got out of the team when we were missing Gawn and Hogan in 2017 as well as the the run into finals/finals wins in 2018 and we do have decent record on the road.

However, there are problems that have persisted throughout his tenure that need to be addressed: A lack of defensive structure and pressure mean that opponents get easy goals, poor team selection, an average MCG record, poor skills and decision making that gives us no ability to control the tempo of the game, crowding around the ball which leads to us getting caught with our pants down/out the back, an obsession with committing numbers forward reminiscent of a soccer team desperate to score in the 94th minute of the game which crowds the goal mouth leaving us hoping for dumb luck or an opposition error to score. The above issues have been there from the start and have gotten worse.

At its core, football is a simple game. Win the ball, control the ball, score. We can win the ball but suck at the other two and through terrible design have a game plan that works to inflict maximum pain upon us on the days where we do not win the ball.

This sort of stuff has to be sheeted home to the coaches. Goodwin deserves kudos for some of the performances he got out of the team when we were missing Gawn and Hogan in 2017 as well as the the run into finals/finals wins in 2018 and we do have decent record on the road.

However, there are problems that have persisted throughout his tenure that need to be addressed: A lack of defensive structure and pressure mean that opponents get easy goals, poor team selection, an average MCG record, poor skills and decision making that gives us no ability to control the tempo of the game, crowding around the ball which leads to us getting caught with our pants down/out the back, an obsession with committing numbers forward reminiscent of a soccer team desperate to score in the 94th minute of the game which crowds the goal mouth leaving us hoping for dumb luck or an opposition error to score. The above issues have been there from the start and have gotten worse.
I agree with everything you’ve said. Unfortunately it relies on on reason from our coaching staff, and that has sadly forsaken our lands.

Great post, and this is the stuff that shits me the most. We've had these problems since day 1 with Goodwin and they don't look close to being fixed or even worked on!

Yes it's been a problem for years but we've gotten away with it or it hasn't been addressed because we've been winning. I think of the game against port last year probably one of the most frustrating last quarters I've seen. That should have been an easy win but it was a painfully slow loss. Despite this it's our in ability to find a target in forward when it is flooded. Let's face it the way the game is played more often and not you have to deal with a crowded forward line but we don't the ability to be patient and find a target actually when I think about it we can't even do it when there's space.

I think there seems to be an assumption that we can sack assistants and we will rise again next year like the Tigers did but I'm not at all convinced. Tigs did it off the back of 3 finals series including a 9 win streak to close out a season. Its very possible this current ship has run a shore and might need more than just a spin of the wheel to fix it. PA made a prelim in 13 or 14 and haven't won a final since.

We also need to get better at developing, we need another couple of stars out of the Baker, Hore, Fritsch, Hunt, Frost, Spargo etc of our list and we badly need Brayshaw Petracca and Oliver to reach AA levels nearly every season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there seems to be an assumption that we can sack assistants and we will rise again next year like the Tigers did but I'm not at all convinced. Tigs did it off the back of 3 finals series including a 9 win streak to close out a season. Its very possible this current ship has run a shore and might need more than just a spin of the wheel to fix it. PA made a prelim in 13 or 14 and haven't won a final since.

We also need to get better at developing, we need another couple of stars out of the Baker, Hore, Fritsch, Hunt, Frost, Spargo etc of our list and we badly need Brayshaw Petracca and Oliver to reach AA levels nearly every season

I don't think sacking assistants will fix everything but I think a coaching restructure is aboslutely required, along with being able to develop Oliver/Brayshaw/Petracca into genuine elite talents and stopping the stalling of guys like Fritsch in their own development. The gameplan with the list we have is also ****ed.

Majorly concerned for our list and it’s stagnation this year. A loss to Carlton should see a club wide review instituted of every coach and of all administrative staff of their positions. Quite frankly, it should happen anyway given our year. We are a shadow of the team we once were.

The biggest issue I see is player development, we just aren’t moving guys into the next bracket and we are bereft of A grade talent. We are also seeing guys go backwards this year. The draft won’t fix a thing, you can’t plug pick 2 on to our list next year and solve a problem, we need a coaching and football program overhaul clearly.

To fall this low after finishing 4th last year is not on.

I’ve feared this for quite some time, now I’m certain of it. This season has been the moment where I cannot see a point in watching the Dees until something changes, and it won’t with the current coaching crew

Oh I don’t assume it at all.

I think it’s more that I want to turf Goodwin but doubt we can what with the 5 million year contract and all.

i dont think anyone assumes a coaching cleanout will defintley fix all our problems, but I think it's pretty clear that we don't have the right people in the box right now.

Every bit of instinct seems to have been coached out of our guys. Petracca and Fritsch are prime examples. It really does look like they’ve tried to get every bit of joy out of footy for our players.
I hate modern football. It is totally defensive. There’s really no such thing as positions anymore and you rarely see one on one contests in space. It’s all about the +1, or +17 in our case.
I blame Craig Jennings for our *ed game plan and id like to see him pissed off asap. I’m not sold on McCartney either, how we play now reminds me of the bulldogs before he got flicked. Maximum effort, minimal return.
Now the season is kaput the coaches priority should’ve allowing the players to play with freedom, and to bring a bit of fun back into it.

Every bit of instinct seems to have been coached out of our guys. Petracca and Fritsch are prime examples. It really does look like they’ve tried to get every bit of joy out of footy for our players.
I hate modern football. It is totally defensive. There’s really no such thing as positions anymore and you rarely see one on one contests in space. It’s all about the +1, or +17 in our case.

I blame Craig Jennings for our ******ed game plan and id like to see him pissed off asap. I’m not sold on McCartney either, how we play now reminds me of the bulldogs before he got flicked. Maximum effort, minimal return.
Now the season is kaput the coaches priority should’ve allowing the players to play with freedom, and to bring a bit of fun back into it.
We haven't agreed alot lately but I completely agree with this

Staring at a wall reflecting on my bundle of ****
Unequivocally my all-time favourite pastime. Throw in a compilation of Morrissey & The Smiths and a bottle of easily digestible/ horribly cheap spirits and I'm set for hours.

Edit: days actually.

There has to be a 'come to jesus' moment before the next pre-season begins. I'm not sure who it will be to drive this in Goodwin and the group, but it's gotta happen.

We clearly have the talent, 2018 proved it. We have some holes in team, particularly on the outside, but other than that our list on paper is strong.

Hardwick turned it around completely within his tenure... i'm happy to back Goodwin and the wider team in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back