"Sack Goodwin!"

knackers29

Senior List
Jun 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So wait, your strategy is to replace some players with better players, persuade the key free agent of this years trade period that he wants to come to Melbourne and take a kid with an early draft pick? Then we ask some guys to please play better.

My God - it’s genius. I’m emailing the club directly.
I thought, the plan, also included, adding, additional commas, to every, sentence.

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
So with Goody bringing in under done senior players to save his skin and still getting beaten what are the chances he'll rest blokes or put them out early for the betterment of the club and 2020 or will we keep risking our senior blokes for nothing games?

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sack Goodwin...Media round 11 2020. Meanwhile we sit here wondering what could have been 2019, 2020 and probably 2021.
That does sound like the script we assembled a dozen writers to create. The mistake we made was hiring dark comedy writers. What we needed was Disney writers who know how to do happy endings.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have a horrible feeling unless we are bottom 6 next year they won’t sack him even if we finish 9-12. The club said last year they don’t expect to make a profit in 2019 and considering Goodwin is contracted until the end of 2022 they might not want to take a significant financial hit (Also it might * with our footy department tax).

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I have a horrible feeling unless we are bottom 6 next year they won’t sack him even if we finish 9-12. The club said last year they don’t expect to make a profit in 2019 and considering Goodwin is contracted until the end of 2022 they might not want to take a significant financial hit (Also it might fu** with our footy department tax).

Yeah I think you are right - which for me personally basically mean lax abandoning hope for the next 2 seasons as I am now convinced we cannot right the ship with him at the helm

So I just keep coming back to a wait it out approach

Best case scenario next year is his last or he turns it around, but both seem the least likely. he feels like more of a Richardson

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s been a disaster since that prelim final loss, which includes the two JLT losses, which makes us essentially 5 wins and 14 losses since then.

Don’t think anyone envisaged just how bad we could play this season.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
too-easy-gif-6.gif

David Teague to replace Goody confirmed.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

whats the reason??? I've got a terrible feeling about next year, they're just going to have another go with a fit list...Massive gameplan/personnel changes are needed otherwise we'll be in for another bottom 4 finish. Hopefully Goodwins not too stubborn to make them, I fear that he is...

We’ll have to change our game style and adapt to the new rules if we are any chance of rebounding. I’m sure we will change.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania

whats the reason??? I've got a terrible feeling about next year, they're just going to have another go with a fit list...Massive gameplan/personnel changes are needed otherwise we'll be in for another bottom 4 finish. Hopefully Goodwins not too stubborn to make them, I fear that he is...

He has been saying the same crap since round one. He needs to prove he can change, not just talk the talk

We’ll have to change our game style and adapt to the new rules if we are any chance of rebounding. I’m sure we will change.

When has Simple Simon ever acknowledged that the gameplan has any issues?

What prevented them from addressing the issues we could all prior to this season? What about attempting some meaningful changes at some point during the season once it had become clear that we'd botched it? What has changed in terms of the gamplan since they shuffled coaching positions after the bye?

I think we have to accept that Goodwin thinks his gameplan is hot s**t, and he's going to just continue tinkering with "connectivity" and hope that with a fully fit list it'll all come together. I reckon he saw those stats a couple of years ago that said that if you won contested ball and inside 50 counts most weeks, then you were on the money to win premierships. So, he's put all his effort into just winning those stats rather than realising that a balanced gameplan, and a good outfit to execute it, will win you games of football, and you happen to win those stats along the way.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

What prevented them from addressing the issues we could all prior to this season? What about attempting some meaningful changes at some point during the season once it had become clear that we'd botched it? What has changed in terms of the gamplan since they shuffled coaching positions after the bye?

I think we have to accept that Goodwin thinks his gameplan is hot s**t, and he's going to just continue tinkering with "connectivity" and hope that with a fully fit list it'll all come together. I reckon he saw those stats a couple of years ago that said that if you won contested ball and inside 50 counts most weeks, then you were on the money to win premierships. So, he's put all his effort into just winning those stats rather than realising that a balanced gameplan, and a good outfit to execute it, will win you games of football, and you happen to win those stats along the way.

Reckon he has comfortably been the worst coach in the league this year.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Without a doubt. hasnt attempted to change a thing, has just relied on players returning from injury.

"Hmmm.... I hope this 0 to 10 game player can come in and fix everything! .... bugger.... no.... then I hope this 0 to 10 game player can come in and fix it! ... damn... how about that guy coming back from 6 months out with half a VFL game under his belt? ... nuts.... hmmm... how about ...................."

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Major changes to game style require a preseason learning it. I'm backing Goodwin and the assistants to draft/trade in some needs and make some changes to the way we play. If we draft more inside mids, don't address our exposure to midfield spread, bomb the ball in on tall fwds heads and hope that a higher inside50 count will win the game through weight of numbers and we're in a hole again after 10 rounds then he can go.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Without a doubt. hasnt attempted to change a thing, has just relied on players returning from injury.
Poor year, no doubt but there have been changes. Recruited a KPD and 2nd ruck, Melksham to midfield to improve kicking efficiency, Fritsch in the intercept marking role, Brayshaw out of the middle due to poor defensive running, Jones to wing/hbf/mid to plug holes, Petty forward, Baker/Lockhart/Dunkley, dropping Omac when he could.

But I don't think they valued our depth last year which has been shown up with more injuries, put too much reliance on Weid's form and didn't anticipate the impact of 6-6-6 on our style.

I want to see what happens next year before I call for his head.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Poor year, no doubt but there have been changes. Recruited a KPD and 2nd ruck, Melksham to midfield to improve kicking efficiency, Fritsch in the intercept marking role, Brayshaw out of the middle due to poor defensive running, Jones to wing/hbf/mid to plug holes, Petty forward, Baker/Lockhart/Dunkley, dropping Omac when he could.

But I don't think they valued our depth last year which has been shown up with more injuries, put too much reliance on Weid's form and didn't anticipate the impact of 6-6-6 on our style.

I want to see what happens next year before I call for his head.

I think what he meant by "no changes" was the game plan / style, rather than personnel. Easy enough to shuffle the pack and put different pieces in different spots, but Goody has never had a plan B for when things go wrong. Our style of football or "brand" as he likes to call it has remained disappointingly and consistently poor.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I think what he meant by "no changes" was the game plan / style, rather than personnel. Easy enough to shuffle the pack and put different pieces in different spots, but Goody has never had a plan B for when things go wrong. Our style of football or "brand" as he likes to call it has remained disappointingly and consistently poor.
Agree we don't have a plan B, like being able to slow a game down or play kick/mark. That's on Goodwin. Last year the defensive solution was to play Max behind the ball, which worked well until it was countered by WC's tag.

The brand, while not perfect, did get us to a prelim so can understand why we relied on May/Lever coming in and persisted with it. We were also being discussed as being big beneficiaries of 6-6-6.

I think it's a bit unfair to put the whole sh*tshow on Goodwin. More a wait see than a definite flop for me right now.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Spot on. The way he operates is similar to how private schools fudge the numbers for VCE/ATAR scores, then when the poor trust fund babies get to uni and have to function without spoon feeding, they drop out in droves.

Back