"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

The jury’s out. Next year is huge for him. My concerns are his physique, lack of pace and no real penetration in his kicking. I’m not necessarily giving up but I wouldn’t pin my hopes on him either. JKH looked better at the same stage of his career.
Needs some bulk and a role behind the ball.

Needs some bulk and a role behind the ball.
The real question is can he win contested ball, get in the way of his teammates, s**t himself in front of goals, tackle poorly and bugger up 1 metre handballs?

If he can’t master all of the above I don’t see a role for him under Goodwin.

What's the ambient temperature? Or do you just learn to love warm beer?
It's a journey: starts off icy cold for the first 500ml, then it's pleasantly cool for the second 500ml, then it's lukewarm for the 3rd 500ml, then it's getting pretty warm for the final stretch - but that just gives you a hankering for a nice icy cold beer again, and so the cycle continues.

The points you raise are still valid, its not like kicking goals from ground balls inside 50 will solve all of our problems.
Oh I know they’re valid. Absolutely know they are. I haven’t watched a decade of Melbourne delivering B grade football to not understand that. I seriously hope someone from the MFC in the coaching department has a BF account and reads some of this, they might learn something from their disappointed supporters.

The jury’s out. Next year is huge for him. My concerns are his physique, lack of pace and no real penetration in his kicking. I’m not necessarily giving up but I wouldn’t pin my hopes on him either. JKH looked better at the same stage of his career.
JKH has never looked good.

Stuff on the weekend with Gawn and Sidebottom just shows how bad a year he has had in the box.
Yeah David King went whack on those 2 things. Hes a rubbish coach same s**t last year but we showed up for 2 blocks of games to make everything look ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can really be so simple for Goodwin. Melbourne have the list on paper. He has to go back over the break and have a serious look at what worked in 2018 and what didn't work in 2019.

The first thing is obviously selection. I don't buy into the whole injury list BS. Stop being lazy and have a think about team selection. This is where I don't think Goodwin has the right support around him. Just seems lazy and rushed to me with not enough research going into a game.

Player roles on the ground and having a plan B for individual players. Goodwin seems to lack the nous to make calls early. The Melbourne 22 on the ground each week isn't a good reflection of where they sit on the ladder. He seems to wait to long to make the important calls early when an individual player is not responding in the way he commands. Again, it comes down to the support he has around him each week on game day.

Good teams make the appropriate changes each week and set individual goals for players based on who they're facing. Melbourne and Goodwin seem to think the same old each week will work. Maybe that was just good luck in 2018 and it payed off. Employ more people to do reviews, employ more statisticians, just do more homework in what will work best.

Sorry this is basic 101 in footy coaching, but this is how I see our failure in 2019. Stop doing the same thing week in week out.

On The Couch just showed that Richmond are 18th for contested footy. Sucks to be them
Contested footy might be the least important stat in the game without context. We often kill it in contested numbers yet opposition's exits from stoppages are far more dangerous than ours

Tom Browne AKA the biggest ******** in footy reckons Jennings is gone
Goodwin "This Sidebottom bloke looks handy, maybe we should put some time in to stopping him, Craig?"

Jennings "We could, Simon... or how about we don't? And instead of tagging him, how about we tag their ruckman?"

Goodwin "Brilliant Craig, I never thought of that. I can't see the game being played outside the contest anyway, with all our learnings this year.

McCartney " Are you 2 watching the same game? Of course we need to tag Sidebottom, and using our ruckman to tag is losing our best attribute. Are you insane?"

Goodwin "ah Macca, no offence mate but your old school mentality isn't needed around here. We are on a journey to where we are going, with our learnings"

McCartney "Simon please, I insist you reconsi..."

Jennings "wait, how about 5 tall defenders?

Goodwin "Excellent Craig. See these ideas, Brendan? Craig is an ideas man. Craig, you may sit in the coaches box next to me this weekend."

Jennings "Thanks Simon, sorry if I look tired though, I spent all night coming up with defensive plays"

Troy Chaplin "Troy Chaplin?"

Macca "oh * this, woosha you need a hand?"

Goodwin "This Sidebottom bloke looks handy, maybe we should put some time in to stopping him, Craig?"

Jennings "We could, Simon... or how about we don't? And instead of tagging him, how about we tag their ruckman?"

Goodwin "Brilliant Craig, I never thought of that. I can't see the game being played outside the contest anyway, with all our learnings this year.

McCartney " Are you 2 watching the same game? Of course we need to tag Sidebottom, and using our ruckman to tag is losing our best attribute. Are you insane?"

Goodwin "ah Macca, no offence mate but your old school mentality isn't needed around here. We are on a journey to where we are going, with our learnings"

McCartney "Simon please, I insist you reconsi..."

Jennings "wait, how about 5 tall defenders?

Goodwin "Excellent Craig. See these ideas, Brendan? Craig is an ideas man. Craig, you may sit in the coaches box next to me this weekend."

Jennings "Thanks Simon, sorry if I look tired though, I spent all night coming up with defensive plays"

Troy Chaplin "Troy Chaplin?"

Macca "oh fu** this, woosha you need a hand?"
Liked and unliked just so I could like it again. Very small criticism is that Goody could mix it up a bit, he has such a vast and inspiring vocabulary. He should be saying: “our brand”, “the Melbourne way”, “our DNA”, “connection”, and “fugazi, woozy, whazy”.

The brilliant Jennings is going elsewhere to apply his trade. One of the best minds in modern football they say. Presented at a conference earlier in the year and was happy to promote himself as such. Goodwin will be better assisted with less ego around him.

On The Couch just showed that Richmond are 18th for contested footy. Sucks to be them

Hawthorn barely won the contested footy count during their 4 grand final wins in a row. Whilst the doggies in 2016 had the biggest CP differential of any team since champion data started in 1999.

I don't think is any hard or fast rule, what i would say is the hawks kick and mark game in 2012-2015 took the ball off the opposition, so whilst the opposition may have beaten the hawks at the contest the hawks set up to win the ball back and not give it back. The doggies not only won it at the coalface if they spilled it over there pressure was elite to win it back. Richmond do a bit of both, they set up in the back half as good as any team atm, so they pretty much concede the stoppage, allow the scrambled kick out of congestion to one of their back 6 and then proceed to work the ball up the ground by hand. Look at Collingwood when they played them and try to play keepings off, it didn't work.

Contested ball isn't the be all and end all, its important to a degree. What is more important is defending with and without the ball, stopping sides from scoring from turnovers, this is something we are putrid at. That will be challenge for Goodwin over the preseason getting back to defending the turnover like we did very well in 2018.

Hawthorn barely won the contested footy count during their 4 grand final wins in a row. Whilst the doggies in 2016 had the biggest CP differential of any team since champion data started in 1999.

I don't think is any hard or fast rule, what i would say is the hawks kick and mark game in 2012-2015 took the ball off the opposition, so whilst the opposition may have beaten the hawks at the contest the hawks set up to win the ball back and not give it back. The doggies not only won it at the coalface if they spilled it over there pressure was elite to win it back. Richmond do a bit of both, they set up in the back half as good as any team atm, so they pretty much concede the stoppage, allow the scrambled kick out of congestion to one of their back 6 and then proceed to work the ball up the ground by hand. Look at Collingwood when they played them and try to play keepings off, it didn't work.

Contested ball isn't the be all and end all, its important to a degree. What is more important is defending with and without the ball, stopping sides from scoring from turnovers, this is something we are putrid at. That will be challenge for Goodwin over the preseason getting back to defending the turnover like we did very well in 2018.
Goody dislikes this

Good post. Watching Hawthorn in their glory years they were an amazing team with the ball. Never wasted an uncontested possession and were able, as you say, to win the ball back. Once they had it you weren’t getting it. They also employed players who had elite goal kicking ability and I dare say the majority of their pressure players were forwards.

2020 needs to be about this. How well can we lock the ball in 50? There needs to be a philosophy that once the ball goes in it doesn’t come out. We need good transition which means allowing our defenders to set up without getting hammered. We need two players with excellent disposal in the midfield and to cut loose this ridiculous inside game.

Good post. Watching Hawthorn in their glory years they were an amazing team with the ball. Never wasted an uncontested possession and were able, as you say, to win the ball back. Once they had it you weren’t getting it. They also employed players who had elite goal kicking ability and I dare say the majority of their pressure players were forwards.

2020 needs to be about this. How well can we lock the ball in 50? There needs to be a philosophy that once the ball goes in it doesn’t come out. We need good transition which means allowing our defenders to set up without getting hammered. We need two players with excellent disposal in the midfield and to cut loose this ridiculous inside game.

Time in forward half last year wasn't an issue, we got a lot of footy inside 50 probably more than anyone and were the number one scoring team. What we got better at was defending the turnover and leaking 4-6 unbroken chains of goals from the opposition.

We need to modify the inside game plan, the CP can't be the be all and end all of our game plan. We need a better balance of inside and outside mids, particularly with our defensive spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back