"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Time in forward half last year wasn't an issue, we got a lot of footy inside 50 probably more than anyone and were the number one scoring team. What we got better at was defending the turnover and leaking 4-6 unbroken chains of goals from the opposition.

We need to modify the inside game plan, the CP can't be the be all and end all of our game plan. We need a better balance of inside and outside mids, particularly with our defensive spread.
Correct. When the ball comes out we are nowhere because we can’t stop transition, then our poor defenders are under that much pressure you can’t blame them for making errors.

Correct. When the ball comes out we are nowhere because we can’t stop transition, then our poor defenders are under that much pressure you can’t blame them for making errors.
I don't subscribe that our defenders are poor. But they are put under the same pressure- they run forward to block space/attack and then viney or brayshaw turn it over on half forward, they sprint back to get in position, only for the midfielders not to run hard back to help. It isolates them one on one, after gut running back, with the ball coming in unopposed. If it isn't coming in to a one on one, it's coming in even worse- as a 2 on 3 or 3 on 4.

I've said over and over to anyone who will listen, our issue is our lazy, unaccountable midfield. They either turn it over going forward, or don't help out going back. Turning it over going forward happened less last year because McDonald or someone got onto it, or anb/spargo crumbed better. This year it's going in to petty, pruess etc (and more shallow) meaning they lead together to the same spot.

So we either have inexperienced forwards bringing opposition defenders together to help each other out, or midfielders not finding a better option and bombing it. I think it's a little of both, which will help getting mcdonald back or another preseason into petty. But it wont help if we dont get assistance from the crumbers. high bombs from our midfielders next year won't help either, it sure as hell hasn't this year.

The one thing that hasn't changed all year, we start with our offensive 50 crowded inside the hot spot. Why not drag 2 right back to the goal line, and the other 4 stay high across the 50 to push back front and center? Or something different. The same thing each week, 6 forwards lined up from the centre of the goals to the chf position.

News flash, it doesn't work.

Any thoughts on the footy department? Josh Mahoney should be getting blamed as well? In the end he hires and fires many of the coaches/performance staff we are now moving on.
He also pulls the trigger on trades/drafting plus the dude looks like he needs a good holiday and a solid 6 hours sleep.

Any thoughts on the footy department? Josh Mahoney should be getting blamed as well? In the end he hires and fires many of the coaches/performance staff we are now moving on.
He also pulls the trigger on trades/drafting plus the dude looks like he needs a good holiday and a solid 6 hours sleep.
I think he will have a fair bit to answer for, like many people at the club. He probably looks exhausted due to stress. I think there’s a lot of people needing to look at themselves.

Apparently Mahoney is the one doing the internal review that has prompted McCartney and Jennings to announce leaving.
Josh Mahoney is conducting a review, sources linked to Melbourne confident the highly regarded football manager is sufficiently independent to identify the issues and make tough decisions.

Disclaimer - its Tom Browne so take it with a grain of salt.

Apparently Mahoney is the one doing the internal review that has prompted McCartney and Jennings to announce leaving.

Disclaimer - its Tom Browne so take it with a grain of salt.

Hows this from the article

Just 12 months ago, Jennings was celebrated in the media, as a key architect of Melbourne’s success, particularly his contribution to Melbourne’s strategy.

But in the space of 12 months, Jennings and the club would part ways.

Jennings sought to promote himself, advised by a well-known PR agent.

His public self-promotion campaign culminated in a profile piece in Virgin’s in-flight magazine.

The club supported his efforts to raise his profile, but this column believes the Demons were uncomfortable with aspects of the extent to which he was generating publicity.

WTF

Questions need to be raised if someone is hiring a PR agent to get the word out that they are avid readers and or film buffs.

Forget our incredibly bad game plan, this is worse and i for one am glad he is leaving after learning about this.
Essendon, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne ask key people his impact on the environment. Could can remember his AFLX media conference.

Questions need to be raised if someone is hiring a PR agent to get the word out that they are avid readers and or film buffs.

Forget our incredibly bad game plan, this is worse and i for one am glad he is leaving after learning about this.

Bit of an odd choice. If you wanted to get your name out there, then surely Virgin magazines are not going to be the first choice. You'd have to be a bit of a mook to read the in-flight magazine.

Bit of an odd choice. If you wanted to get your name out there, then surely Virgin magazines are not going to be the first choice. You'd have to be a bit of a mook to read the in-flight magazine.
With all AFL teams, coaches and support flying Virgin exclusively and regularly, that's actually targeting his audience pretty well. Pity the content didn't live up to the positioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all AFL teams, coaches and support flying Virgin exclusively and regularly, that's actually targeting his audience pretty well. Pity the content didn't live up to the positioning.
Yeah, call me crazy but I’d hope and suspect the reasons he is moving on are to do with performance and what the club needs going forward rather than a puff piece in a magazine few people will read.

Yeah, call me crazy but I’d hope and suspect the reasons he is moving on are to do with performance and what the club needs going forward rather than a puff piece in a magazine few people will read.
He might have been a master strategist last year but something has clearly gone south this year. When two high profile coaches go you know there’s something not right.

That's why trying to pick assistants is horse s**t. Is goody amazing and Jennings and McCartney were holding him back or is Goody an ineffective overlord dictator who's stopping Jennings from being able to use his amazing knowledge.

Teague was Carlton's forward coach and they were s**t up forward, literally no structure at all. He becomes senior coach and their structure is amazing. So was he a poor forward coach and great head coach? Or is the guy promoted to their forward role now amazing and holding the team together

It's a crapshoot

That's why trying to pick assistants is horse s**t. Is goody amazing and Jennings and McCartney were holding him back or is Goody an ineffective overlord dictator who's stopping Jennings from being able to use his amazing knowledge.

Teague was Carlton's forward coach and they were s**t up forward, literally no structure at all. He becomes senior coach and their structure is amazing. So was he a poor forward coach and great head coach? Or is the guy promoted to their forward role now amazing and holding the team together

It's a crapshoot
We will never know....

I'm a coaching member of an AFL team on a plane, I've got my laptop and some relevant material to review on the flight. I'm not, so I bring a book. Why would anyone read the in-flight magazine?

Jesus Christ we are debating the pros/cons of one of our assistants having an article written about him in a virgin airlines magazine

Jesus Christ we are debating the pros/cons of one of our assistants having an article written about him in a virgin airlines magazine

You're right, let's talk about the football side. Wait...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back