"Sack Goodwin!"

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
You guys are on to something, a trade period for coaches and support staff...

The spud + spud + spud = gun trading policy would really come into its own.
"Neeld, Goodwin and Schwab for someone, anyone, who knows what they're doing. Any role, IT guy or cleaner will do."

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
I'm a bit surprised that no one had already resurrected this thread after what we saw on Sunday.

I've been concerned about the team's decline since the Roos effect has started to wear off and be replaced by Goodwin's ideas, style and game plan, but I've been on the side of those who say he should be given 8-10 weeks to show that he's turned things around this year. Now I'm not so sure. We could be wasting a golden opportunity.

Last season we were horrible and although that was partly due to the fitness and availability of the players, it was mainly due to the game plan which saw us constantly playing on immediately, without knowing if it was safe to do so, putting ourselves under pressure and regularly losing control of the ball or bombing it blindly into attack and straight to the opposition.

Like many here I was confident Goodwin would address that situation by adopting the more calm and measured game plans of the top teams and that our players would then be able to show the skills they proved they have in 2018. But Sunday proved that absolutely nothing has changed. We know that the players have had a great preseason and are reportedly incredibly fit, but that counted for nothing as the same inept game plan from last season was still in operation. That was all the proof I needed to accept that this club will never succeed with Simon Goodwin as coach.

As terrible as the coronavirus is and as sad as it is that we'll have to wait at least 12 weeks for football, it gives the club a great opportunity to make the coaching change we need with minimal disruption. We have at least 12 weeks, probably more, to interview for, and appoint, a new coach and for him to familiarise himself with the players and for them to train with his game plan, which could only be an improvement. When the season resumes we could well see a revitalised team playing a winning brand of football. It's hard to see that happening if nothing changes.

I'm a bit surprised that no one had already resurrected this thread after what we saw on Sunday.

I've been concerned about the team's decline since the Roos effect has started to wear off and be replaced by Goodwin's ideas, style and game plan, but I've been on the side of those who say he should be given 8-10 weeks to show that he's turned things around this year. Now I'm not so sure. We could be wasting a golden opportunity.

Last season we were horrible and although that was partly due to the fitness and availability of the players, it was mainly due to the game plan which saw us constantly playing on immediately, without knowing if it was safe to do so, putting ourselves under pressure and regularly losing control of the ball or bombing it blindly into attack and straight to the opposition.

Like many here I was confident Goodwin would address that situation by adopting the more calm and measured game plans of the top teams and that our players would then be able to show the skills they proved they have in 2018. But Sunday proved that absolutely nothing has changed. We know that the players have had a great preseason and are reportedly incredibly fit, but that counted for nothing as the same inept game plan from last season was still in operation. That was all the proof I needed to accept that this club will never succeed with Simon Goodwin as coach.

As terrible as the coronavirus is and as sad as it is that we'll have to wait at least 12 weeks for football, it gives the club a great opportunity to make the coaching change we need with minimal disruption. We have at least 12 weeks, probably more, to interview for, and appoint, a new coach and for him to familiarise himself with the players and for them to train with his game plan, which could only be an improvement. When the season resumes we could well see a revitalised team playing a winning brand of football. It's hard to see that happening if nothing changes.

I wish mate, agree with all your thoughts in general.

Not sure this is the time to be sacking blokes still under contract though. The club is under enough financial pressure as it is right now.

I'll bite. This is a reasonable knee-jerk after the most unique set of circumstances a game has ever been played under. There are no 'golden opportunities' right now. The club along with the rest of the AFL is in crisis. The club can't afford to pay out Goodwin's contract now, and it would be viewed by the broader community and the governing body as the most disgraceful, irresponsible, poorly timed decision of all time. Not to mention the logistics of such an action considering the club has all but shut their doors and the entire playing group and footy department are on leave. We are facing a major existential threat, our on field performances are the least of our worries.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The reason that this thread hasn't been resurrected is as people pointed out the fact that he's still contracted and during these hard times it's just impossible. I think most people here have the same grievances but it's just not the right time. I even think people thought the club was crazy to give him a contract extension based off one good season, went does it expire 2022? That's still a while, I guess we'll see too much uncertainty at the moment it's still hard to know what will happen with the club at the years end.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The reason that this thread hasn't been resurrected is as people pointed out the fact that he's still contracted and during these hard times it's just impossible. I think most people here have the same grievances but it's just not the right time. I even think people thought the club was crazy to give him a contract extension based off one good season, went does it expire 2022? That's still a while, I guess we'll see too much uncertainty at the moment it's still hard to know what will happen with the club at the years end.
Tulip and I both told all you guys extending his c
contact was a poor decision in 2018.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Tulip and I both told all you guys extending his c
contact was a poor decision in 2018.

Why don't I ever get credit for the powerful predictions / insight around here
- was a very early, if not the earliest recognizer of how bad Goodwin is
- called Hogan early
- flip flopped on Dom Tyson like 100 times

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was really disappointed with the performance on Saturday. There were glimpses but far too many simple skill errors. I would give the team a few weeks before making a call re Goody but it was concerning. I thought we looked better in pre season. It would have been a weird space to play in knowing you’re off for a significant period after the game.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So you did..
Just never made sense to me. Not because I thought he couldn't coach after the prelim but because why get be yourself no flexibility on a coach that no other club would want?

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
I turned on him when he put his feet on Jason Taylor's couch but now we would barely be able to buy a packet of chips let alone pay somebody's contract out. Let's hope that he goes into full study mode during the break and comes back full of new ideas.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Crazy to think people want to sack the coach at this point in time! That's completely heartless. If we played GC at the G last weekend, fair chance we would have won and this thread would be pointless. WCE are favourites to win the flag and we played them on their home ground. We were never going to win. Calm the farm. I'm usually the first to overreact to a loss, but calling for the coaches head right now is dumb. The team had to perform under extraordinary circumstances as well. Yeah, our gameplan looked the same as the last few years, and it looked like we we had the exact same issues we had last year. However I believe judging Goodwin on one game against the flag favourites at their home game under these circumstances is extremely tough.

Yes, chances are we're going to struggle with this list and these coaches. But sacking him now and paying him out would be completely frowned upon by everyone in the football world, and it could potentially sink us financially as a club right now. So let's hope they use this time to readjust. Kind of glad we got smacked, as it was a reality check, and will hopefully have the coaching staff realise it's not just fitness that needed fixing. Hard to fix some of the issues we have though (pace in the backline, lazy midfielders, poor skilled list, no decent forward target). Until we fix these things, we have to lower our expectations tbh. I had us finishing between 12th and 16th and looks about right from what I've seen.

Why don't I ever get credit for the powerful predictions / insight around here
- was a very early, if not the earliest recognizer of how bad Goodwin is
- called Hogan early
- flip flopped on Dom Tyson like 100 times

Because the leprechaun told you all these things so he deservedly gets the credit.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I turned on him when he put his feet on Jason Taylor's couch but now we would barely be able to buy a packet of chips let alone pay somebody's contract out. Let's hope that he goes into full study mode during the break and comes back full of new ideas.
Goody- 'My golly gosh would Picketts agility be great as an inside midfielder, in fact Steven Mays big frame would be great for winning clearances'

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Does anyone know who our forward line coach is? I can’t see one on the website.
I have no idea. But he has the toughest job in footy right now. We have the worst from of centre delivery in the history of the game, and we have arguably the weakest forwardline on paper in the comp. So he's up against it regardless. I actually feel sorry for him right now as he will most likely become the scapegoat.

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
I'll bite. This is a reasonable knee-jerk after the most unique set of circumstances a game has ever been played under. There are no 'golden opportunities' right now. The club along with the rest of the AFL is in crisis. The club can't afford to pay out Goodwin's contract now, and it would be viewed by the broader community and the governing body as the most disgraceful, irresponsible, poorly timed decision of all time. Not to mention the logistics of such an action considering the club has all but shut their doors and the entire playing group and footy department are on leave. We are facing a major existential threat, our on field performances are the least of our worries.
The "I'll bite" comment suggests you think I was trolling, which I most certainly was not. My post was serious, although your comments and those of others show it was flawed. I wasn't aware that we had jumped in and extended Goodwin's contract. I hope that was at the end of the 2018 season when it looked reasonable because if it was more recent those making that decision were crazy. In any case that does make my suggestion unviable, especially with the financial stress the season closure will cause the club. You also point out that the whole club has virtually closed down and will remain so until the health crisis has passed. This negates the "advantage" I saw in changing coaches now so that the new one would have plenty of time to work with the players before the season resumes. That simply couldn't happen. So I agree with most of what you posted, except your last comment that in the circumstances our on field performance are the least of our worries. They will be more important than ever in maximising attendances, membership and sponsorship as the club tries to regain its financial footing after the losses the close-down will cause.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anyone know who our forward line coach is? I can’t see one on the website.

I saw tjis online late last year, can't remember where, but knew it would come in handy at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_3204.PNG
    IMG_3204.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just saw this article on SEN though it's bleeding obvious I still think it's worth a share.

Losing isn't the problem it's the way we lose. I can accept west coast in Perth is a tough task, though optus stadium is pretty similar to the mcg in dimensions and there was no crowd so it shouldn't have made a big difference. Yeah we could have had a gold coast or someone an easy kill but the problems still there. The problem is Garry Lyon is hoping that they'll have something to think about over the break even though over several breaks we've seen nothing. Imagine what kossie will be able to do in a proper system after what he produced on the weekend. Feel sorry for him trying to work in these conditions lol.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just saw this article on SEN though it's bleeding obvious I still think it's worth a share.

Losing isn't the problem it's the way we lose. I can accept west coast in Perth is a tough task, though optus stadium is pretty similar to the mcg in dimensions and there was no crowd so it shouldn't have made a big difference. Yeah we could have had a gold coast or someone an easy kill but the problems still there. The problem is Garry Lyon is hoping that they'll have something to think about over the break even though over several breaks we've seen nothing. Imagine what kossie will be able to do in a proper system after what he produced on the weekend. Feel sorry for him trying to work in these conditions lol.
It's so ******* obvious what our issue is yet the players keep bombing it desperately inside 50.
Michael Hibberd who is 30 years old so a senior player had 9 of our inside 50s. Or ~17%. Our retention rate was 0 from his kicks.
Ed Langdon had 8, Viney had 5
So half of our inside 50s were between these 3. Literally half of our inside 50s came from 3 blokes who like to run and kick it as far as they can to no one in particular and the scary thing is it seems like they were being encouraged too.

Oliver Petracca and Brayshaw had 8 between them. So our mids handball it around aimlessly until one of our running defenders or wingers belts it long.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I saw tjis online late last year, can't remember where, but knew it would come in handy at some point.
That’s interesting. According to the club website, Plapp is the midfield coach and Rooke is the development coach.

Not sure if the website is up to date. Communication and admin have never been the club’s strong points.

Back