Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To reduce the risk of unfairly comparing our current side with the 2004 one who were actually successful, the book has been cancelled.

In it's place, the club will be releasing "chasing greatness: a decade of Kenny" featuring a selection of photographs of Kenny's finest moments sipping cans of soft drink.

I know I am going over old ground with the Bulldogs 2021 debacle, but it still baffles me that after losing that home prelim by 12 goals the Senior Coach came out and declared " I wouldn't have changed a single thing" In relation to the game plan, preparation, tactics or anything that transpired in game. Has any other AFL Coach said such a thing after a loss like that?
Yeah - he also said after the russel Ebert game “we won all the kpis so I don’t know how we lost”

Yeah - he also said after the russel Ebert game “we won all the kpis so I don’t know how we lost”

The amount of times over the last 8 years we've lost with a massive I50 advantage is staggering. It's like we've looked at KPIs of successful sides and sacrificed everything else to achieve those numbers without any thought about why they're important.

Ken, Koch and Richo really couldn’t give two ****s about PAFC.

If they did, they wouldn’t be in hiding. They’d front up to supporters if nothing else but from the sheer guilt of letting us down (again).

The fact they don’t feel the need to address what is in fact a majority “white noise”, just shows they don’t care about the club at all. It’s only for self-interest.

This club has played the modern attitudes of branding any form of accountability and reflection as 'hating' as good as anyone/anything.
I'm curious what you mean by this sentence. It's difficult to decipher. Are you saying Ken and the Port admin are overly defensive when their performance is scrutinised by fans & media; and they are too quick to brush off any fair criticism as agenda-driven "hate" ? Is that the gist of what you are saying here?

If so, can you blame them? Port has been a Top 4 team in three of the past four seasons and the coach has been criticised like they'd finished in the bottom four every year. The constant calls for Ken's sacking by Port fans has become a meme. Is it any wonder they've learned to block out any criticism?

However disappointed all of you are about losing in September, you can't deny the club has been been managed bloody well over the past few years. By any objective measure, the recruiting, player development, coaching and results have all been very good.

I get that you're hungry for a flag after a 20 year drought and reaching Prelims has raised your expectations to the point where anything less than a flag is seen as a failure. But you've got to realise that winning premierships is not Port's divine right, no matter what the motto says on the walls of your clubrooms.

AFL premierships are bloody hard to win and you need a lot of luck. Look at all the luck that Collingwood enjoyed this September. Best team all year, and had the MCG home ground advantage, but won by a bee's dick in 3 successive finals - mostly outplayed by Giants & Dees and the GF went down to the wire.

What about Brisbane's recent history? They've been strong contenders for the past 5 years (better than Port) and yet they are also without a flag after a 20 year drought.

All that Ken and the boys can do is keep backing up every year, keep putting themselves in top 4 contention and hope to have a little luck in September with your best players injury free and hitting top form.

I think there is still some improvement to come from Butters, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Bergman, Duursma and Marshall. You guys are soooo close. I don't get why the Port fanbase can't get fully behind the coach & players instead of constantly trying to tear things apart (pardon the pun.)

Last edited:
Ken, Koch and Richo really couldn’t give two ****s about PAFC.

If they did, they wouldn’t be in hiding. They’d front up to supporters if nothing else but from the sheer guilt of letting us down (again).

The fact they don’t feel the need to address what is in fact a majority “white noise”, just shows they don’t care about the club at all. It’s only for self-interest.
When the members convention?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm curious what you mean by this sentence. It's difficult to decipher. Are you saying Ken and the Port admin are overly defensive when their performance is scrutinised by fans & media; and they are too quick to dismiss any fair criticism as "hate" by those with an agenda ? Is that the gist of what you are saying here?

If so, can you blame them? Port has been a Top 4 team in three of the past four seasons and the coach has been criticised like they'd finished in the bottom four every year. The constant calls for Ken's sacking by Port fans has become a meme. Is it any wonder they've learned to block out any criticism?

However disappointed all of you are about losing in September, you can't deny the club has been been managed bloody well over the past few years, by any objective measure - the recruiting, player development, coaching and results have all been very good.

I get that you're hungry for a flag after a 20 year drought and reaching Prelims has raised your expectations to the point where anything less than a flag is seen as a failure. But you've got to realise that winning premierships is not Port's divine right, no matter what the motto says on the walls of your clubrooms.

AFL premierships are bloody hard to win and you need a lot of luck. Look at all the luck that Collingwood enjoyed this September. Best team all year, and had the MCG home ground advantage, but won by a bee's dick in 3 successive finals - mostly outplayed by Giants and the Dees and the GF went down to the wire.

What about Brisbane's recent history? They've been strong contenders for the past 5 years (better than Port) and yet they are also without a flag after a 20 year drought.

All that Ken and the boys can do is keep backing up every year, keep putting themselves in top 4 contention and hope to have a little luck in September with your best players injury free and hitting top form.

I think there is still some improvement to come from Butters, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Bergman, Duursma and Marshall. You guys are soooo close. I don't get why the Port fanbase can't get fully behind the coach & players instead of constantly trying to tear things apart (pardon the pun.)
Supporter of club with 4 flags in the last 20 years says Port fans are expecting to much asking for one.

Little battler club.

Your job here is done Kochie.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm curious what you mean by this sentence. It's difficult to decipher. Are you saying Ken and the Port admin are overly defensive when their performance is scrutinised by fans & media; and they are too quick to dismiss any fair criticism as "hate" by those with an agenda ? Is that the gist of what you are saying here?

However disappointed all of you are about losing in September, you can't deny the club has been been managed bloody well over the past few years. By any objective measure, the recruiting, player development, coaching and results have all been very good.

AFL premierships are bloody hard to win and you need a lot of luck. Look at all the luck that Collingwood enjoyed this September. Best team all year, and had the MCG home ground advantage, but won by a bee's dick in 3 successive finals - mostly outplayed by Giants and the Dees and the GF went down to the wire.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also I don't want to feed this repetitive silliness but I do want to point out that this is an absolutely perfect example of exactly what I posted (quoting Lockhart Road) in the Koch thread:

"nothing with Hinkley is ever in our grasp. It’s always just out of reach."

This stood out to me. Its the perfect description.

It also works on people who aren't followers of the club because they look at us and go 'how can you complain, you're close to success?' Except we're never close to success. We do just enough to appear close so that selfish people can collect a paycheque. There is no desire to actually bridge that gap, ever.

AFL premierships are bloody hard to win and you need a lot of luck. Look at all the luck that Collingwood enjoyed this September. Best team all year, and had the MCG home ground advantage, but won by a bee's dick in 3 successive finals - mostly outplayed by Giants & Dees and the GF went down to the wire.

It sure does take a lot of luck to even make a grand final. It's akin to winning the lottery, only 22% (4/18) teams have made one since we last did. The odds are against us.

Wait, what do you mean I've got that backwards? Surely 78% haven't managed to achieve this feat but we should be happy because we got some meaningless home games in a row a few times.

You sacked the most successful coach of the modern era after 6 years of no Premierships and everyone went "yeah, fair enough, time for change I reckon". We bring up wanting change after 11 years of having the longest serving coach without a grand final and get told "woah woah show down you're being a bit unreasonable there, what if year 13 is the year?".

* off, enjoy your team bottoming out and then rebuilding and probably going past us in the next 2 years. Everyone else has

I'm curious what you mean by this sentence. It's difficult to decipher. Are you saying Ken and the Port admin are overly defensive when their performance is scrutinised by fans & media; and they are too quick to brush off any fair criticism as agenda-driven "hate" ? Is that the gist of what you are saying here?

Nobody in the history of the game has lasted this long in the coaches box without making a grand final - how long is enough?

BLOODY WELL SAID

FB_IMG_1696253482227.jpg

Supporter of club with 4 flags in the last 20 years says Port fans are expecting to much asking for one.
Oh right. :rolleyes: So because the the Hawks have won 4 flags since your last, that means I can't express my opinion that Port have been a good team - well coached, well managed - and they just need to keep presenting, keep contending, and with a little luck, they can win a premiership?

And you've misinterpreted me with this quote of yours: Port fans are expecting to much asking for one

You're got it ass backwards

What I actually said was Port fans are asking too much by expecting a flag. They don't hand them out, mate. They're not a participation award. Just because you finish in the top 4, or hosted a couple of Prelim Finals, that doesn't mean you should've won a flag by now.

I never expected any of Hawthorn's last 4 flags. I just barracked for my team, supported the club and crossed my fingers. I'll be the first to admit we had a lot of luck. People always talked about Geelong's inaccuracy in 2008. Sure. But what they never mention was Hawthorn's incredible accuracy in front of goal... 18.7 !!! Our blokes were kicking goals out of their arses that day. Geelong was the clearly better team that year. Somehow we won.

You think I don't reflect on how lucky we got in successive Prelims (v Geel/Port) ? We DOMINATED in 2013 and 2014... and yet we snuck through to the GF by the barest margins... Travis Varcoe was wide open and missed from 30m and every Hawks fan nearly had a seizure. Port stormed over the top of Hawthorn in 2014 with 4 late goals... Andrew Moore literally had the game on his boot when he lined up a difficult set shot from the boundary line which would've out you blokes into the GF had it gone through. You reckon I don't play that over in my mind when I reflect on Hawthorn's 2014 premiership?

There's always a lot of luck involved in winning any premiership.

All you can you is support your team and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

We are saying Sack Hinkley and Koch and pretty much the rest of the footy management team and the board

Just noticed this bolded LOL

What I actually said was Port fans are asking too much by expecting a flag. They don't hand them out, mate. They're not a participation award. Just because you finish in the top 4, or hosted a couple of Prelim Finals, that doesn't mean you should've won a flag by now.
Nobody is expecting a flag.

They're expecting a coach not to be given 11 years, the most recent 9 without winning a single knockout final or finals-defining H&A game, without taking action to try something new.

Little battler club. Your job here is done Kochie.
The true measure of any great football club is how loudly the supporters can demand the sacking of its coach. :rolleyes::thumbsu:

Nothing spells SUCCESS like giving the arse to the coach to consistently takes his team to the top 4, but can't take the next step because he is so iNcOmPeTEnt.

There will eventually come a day when Port slides down the ladder and is anchored down near the bottom like my own club right now... and all you blokes who are currently calling for Kenny's head will be wondering why you couldn't enjoy the footy when your team was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back