Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could miss finals the next two years and he’ll still be safe because of how we went in 2020.

it is almost destiny that we slip up early this year, fight to make top 6, win a home elim and maybe a semi but lose a prelim, then be proud of what we did and go hard for 2022. anyone calling for kenny's head would be utterly mad given we lost 2 prelims in a row by a combined 11 points!!!!

I can't believe the club didn't ask permission of the Port Adelaide bigfooty supporters prior to making a decision on extending Ken's contract, what were they thinking?

Right?! How dare a representation of club members who financially support them through the purchase of memberships and player sponsors as well as the recent aid in facilitating major partners have an opinion on the workings of the club. Outrageous. You should all have a long hard look at yourselves.

I can't believe the club didn't ask permission of the Port Adelaide bigfooty supporters prior to making a decision on extending Ken's contract, what were they thinking?
We have always been a club that listens to our members. Listens to our people,” Mr Koch said at a packed press conference at Alberton Oval on Friday afternoon. - 06/12/2019

This is the same Mr Koch that earlier referred to complaints by paid up club members as "white noise".

So it is very easy to believe that the club couldn't give a rats toss bag what any part of the supporter base thinks about Koch making Hinkley a ten year coach as he had said years ago he would.

Right?! How dare a representation of club members who financially support them through the purchase of memberships and player sponsors as well as the recent aid in facilitating major partners have an opinion on the workings of the club. Outrageous. You should all have a long hard look at yourselves.

Yeah who would've thought a club would be in touch with the sentiment of its members, what crazy talk.

Yeah who would've thought a club would be in touch with the sentiment of its members, what crazy talk.
Some of those are the same 'members' who have not renewed out of spite of Ken being coach, the fact is that Ken deserves the right to this contract extension based on his performance last season - the test will be on him to back it up. Too many here openly barracked against him last year and are still bitter as he/we went better than they had predicted.

p.s gauging the sentiment of all of our members based on a thread here designed to voice/display hatred against Ken is probably crazy talk.

Some of those are the same 'members' who have not renewed out of spite of Ken being coach, the fact is that Ken deserves the right to this contract extension based on his performance last season - the test will be on him to back it up. Too many here openly barracked against him last year and are still bitter as he/we went better than they had predicted.

p.s gauging the sentiment of all of our members based on a thread here designed to voice/display hatred against Ken is probably crazy talk.

Went better? We exist to win premierships. We were one of the 17 losers last year that failed to reach that goal. We also extended our run to 13 years without making a grand final, and 16 years since we last won a flag.

Last year was a step forward, but it was not at all an achieved success.

It was a performance that looks great when compared to the massive underachievement of 2015-2019, but for a coach in his 8th year, with the players at his disposal and with the injury run we had, its barely a pass mark.

And trust me, I 100% wanted us to win the flag and nothing would make me happier than to see us do it in 2021 with Ken at the helm. No excuses in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing is for sure, if we do win a premiership under Hinkley, port Adelaide deserve a lot of credit. Most supporters wanted to (and still do) want him out.

The credit they deserve is for changing all other personnel in recruitment and coaching. If we win the flag it will be well and truly a case of "clubs win premierships".

As Ken Hinkley's official BigFooty buddy for 2021, I endorse his recent contract extension, albeit with some reservations about the length (ie it's not long enough).

Not sure if this will be enough to stop my impeachment? thundercloud

I know right, they’ve been so successful in winning premierships these past few years!
How dare we question!

Some of those are the same 'members' who have not renewed out of spite of Ken being coach

you say that like that's weird? not being a member of a club where you dont like the head person is pretty normal

One thing is for sure, if we do win a premiership under Hinkley, port Adelaide deserve a lot of credit. Most supporters wanted to (and still do) want him out.

Would they deserve a lot of credit? You put a monkey behind the wheel of a dragster for enough attempts they will eventually win a race (or die). Now I know that is a too harsh comparison. But it has been eight years already with lists not without talent, pretty decent facilities, and a lot of his wishlist fulfilled. Even if he wins this year, how many coaches get 9 years at the helm to win a premiership, with only 4 finishes in the top eight preceding it? And we are not talking about a team steadily improving and building towards a premiership and a coach that is getting better with time. Its more like we were lucking to get in, we are in, then we are out for two years, then we are in for a cameo finals appearance, then out for another two years. Then in a crazy year that was a bit lucky dip we are in again.

Suppose we do jag a premiership. How much credit do Port really deserve for keeping Hinkley on? Maybe its a case of who else was available who would have been a better coach? Still is the answer to that multiple year extensions that ensure we could not afford to pay Hinkley out if he were to be sacked?

Even after winning a hypothetical premiership. There must be a real fear that other teams will work out or gameplan the year after. Hell, it may even happen in 2021. We watched it happen before. Can anyone really imagine a Port dynasty under Hinkley with a dynamic team allowed to play to their strengths and able to adapt to their opposition on the day within a flexible gameplan? Will we become a highly skilled team renowned for our kicking under pressure as a team (I'm not just talking about those players on our list who are innately good kicks).

There are other who criticise those like myself for being a Hinkley basher. Well the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. In terms of what we have done from a head coach perspective, and knowing almost without doubt that that head coach will do almost the same thing next year and the year after, what have we done? I won't deny that the last year, possibly two, we have seen players allowed to play their natural game to a degree so credit where credit is due. Lets see what happens this year.

I won't deny that the last year, possibly two, we have seen players allowed to play their natural game to a degree so credit where credit is due. Lets see what happens this year.
Natural game being something Schofield was renowned for coming across. I feel like after Walsh left we needed someone who could get their way more, independent of Hinkley's 'system', if that is indeed what's happened.

Would they deserve a lot of credit? You put a monkey behind the wheel of a dragster for enough attempts they will eventually win a race (or die). Now I know that is a too harsh comparison. But it has been eight years already with lists not without talent, pretty decent facilities, and a lot of his wishlist fulfilled. Even if he wins this year, how many coaches get 9 years at the helm to win a premiership, with only 4 finishes in the top eight preceding it? And we are not talking about a team steadily improving and building towards a premiership and a coach that is getting better with time. Its more like we were lucking to get in, we are in, then we are out for two years, then we are in for a cameo finals appearance, then out for another two years. Then in a crazy year that was a bit lucky dip we are in again.

Suppose we do jag a premiership. How much credit do Port really deserve for keeping Hinkley on? Maybe its a case of who else was available who would have been a better coach? Still is the answer to that multiple year extensions that ensure we could not afford to pay Hinkley out if he were to be sacked?

Even after winning a hypothetical premiership. There must be a real fear that other teams will work out or gameplan the year after. Hell, it may even happen in 2021. We watched it happen before. Can anyone really imagine a Port dynasty under Hinkley with a dynamic team allowed to play to their strengths and able to adapt to their opposition on the day within a flexible gameplan? Will we become a highly skilled team renowned for our kicking under pressure as a team (I'm not just talking about those players on our list who are innately good kicks).

There are other who criticise those like myself for being a Hinkley basher. Well the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. In terms of what we have done from a head coach perspective, and knowing almost without doubt that that head coach will do almost the same thing next year and the year after, what have we done? I won't deny that the last year, possibly two, we have seen players allowed to play their natural game to a degree so credit where credit is due. Lets see what happens this year.
Thank goodness Richmond got rid of Hardwick in time.........!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back