Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone who works with Hinkley reveres him. This is not true.
Do you have any evidence that it isn't true? Players very rarely leave unless they are pushed or get massive offers at other clubs. Any player that comments on him in the media is overwhelmingly positive. Just recently I saw Jack Watts say he is a "great coach" and heaped praise on him. Players have openly said they came to Port Adelaide because of Hinkley (Dixon, Mckenzie) or stayed at Port because of him (Wines).

Assistant coaches very rarely leave, and when they do its a result of going into a senior gig (Richo, Walsh) or getting pushed out the door (Rehn, Carr, Thompson etc.).

The media loves the bloke. Rucci, Whately et. al. all think he is the reincarnation of Norm Smith.

Granted there is some sampling bias here, but you rarely see the outpouring of positivity about a coach like Hinkley gets.

The only group of people that openly dislike him are a group of fans, seemingly mostly confined to this forum lol.

Everyone who works with Hinkley reveres him. ....
If someone asks you what you think of your boss and you know your answer will not only reach your boss but many, many people what would you say?

Even given that, I have heard nothing from any of our assistant coaches that sounds like reverence towards Hinkley.

Do you have any evidence that it isn't true? Players very rarely leave unless they are pushed or get massive offers at other clubs. Any player that comments on him in the media is overwhelmingly positive. Just recently I saw Jack Watts say he is a "great coach" and heaped praise on him. Players have openly said they came to Port Adelaide because of Hinkley (Dixon, Mckenzie) or stayed at Port because of him (Wines).

Assistant coaches very rarely leave, and when they do its a result of going into a senior gig (Richo, Walsh) or getting pushed out the door (Rehn, Carr, Thompson etc.).

The media loves the bloke. Rucci, Whately et. al. all think he is the reincarnation of Norm Smith.

Granted there is some sampling bias here, but you rarely see the outpouring of positivity about a coach like Hinkley gets.

The only group of people that openly dislike him are a group of fans, seemingly mostly confined to this forum lol.
1620374692121.jpeg

If someone asks you what you think of your boss and you know your answer will not only reach your boss but many, many people what would you say?

Even given that, I have heard nothing from any of our assistant coaches that sounds like reverence towards Hinkley.

1620374891283.png

1620375426839.png

Last edited:

It's not a matter if we like or dislike him, this is not personal I am sure he's a nice bloke, this is about results and his capabilities to get us to a flag. Surely if we don't go all the way this year you would have to ask the question, 9 years and nothing and over 60 players have come and gone in that time.

Slightly off track to this hate thread but of all of our coaching staff, management etc I reckon the bloke who would make the best coach of all of them is CD. CD just oozes wanting to be the best at everything he touches and would never accept anything but ultimate success.
Anyway, just spitballing.

Slightly off track to this hate thread but of all of our coaching staff, management etc I reckon the bloke who would make the best coach of all of them is CD. CD just oozes wanting to be the best at everything he touches and would never accept anything but ultimate success.
Anyway, just spitballing.
#cdforcoach

It's not a matter if we like or dislike him, this is not personal I am sure he's a nice bloke, this is about results and his capabilities to get us to a flag. Surely if we don't go all the way this year you would have to ask the question, 9 years and nothing and over 60 players have come and gone in that time.

CC0BCCBF-6DF1-471F-9856-90992689D585.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks coached his team to their first wooden spoon and Richardson got the sack from St Kilda with 43 W 81 L record. Not exactly glowing endorsements if they are your protege's.
If you recall, that was my point. No Hinkley disciples!

Do you have any evidence that it isn't true?

Carn.

It's a tiny little industry. You've got less than 1000 people in the playing and coaching ranks at any given time. Unless players have proven themselves as very good, it's career suicide to tell anyone publicly if you dislike your coach. And even then it'll likely affect your chances of getting a gig as an assistant or within the media because the media rely on access.

The media love Hinkley because he gives them plenty of time and access.

In any case, none of this makes him a good coach. Do you think the likes of Clarkson, Bomber Thompson or Leigh Matthews were universally liked? Sure, some great coaches are, but it's certainly not a prerequisite.

That said, I absolutely agree with your original point that internal coaching appointments are a big risk, even if you're coming from a successful program and culture and have been grooming a coach for some time. I certainly don't think our current program and culture has been successful and i'd rather go an get a mastermind from a club with a successful culture.

Imagine a world where you kept your job despite being a failure over almost 10 years, and the reason you keep it is because a few people at work like you.

Sounds like most public servants (I’m one myself fwiw)

Carn.

It's a tiny little industry. You've got less than 1000 people in the playing and coaching ranks at any given time. Unless players have proven themselves as very good, it's career suicide to tell anyone publicly if you dislike your coach. And even then it'll likely affect your chances of getting a gig as an assistant or within the media because the media rely on access.

The media love Hinkley because he gives them plenty of time and access.

In any case, none of this makes him a good coach. Do you think the likes of Clarkson, Bomber Thompson or Leigh Matthews were universally liked? Sure, some great coaches are, but it's certainly not a prerequisite.

That said, I absolutely agree with your original point that internal coaching appointments are a big risk, even if you're coming from a successful program and culture and have been grooming a coach for some time. I certainly don't think our current program and culture has been successful and i'd rather go an get a mastermind from a club with a successful culture.
Even if you discount the dialogue about Hinkley, actions speak louder than words. The club has very good retention of players and staff. The club is able to attract high quality players and staff from other clubs. Yes, no one is going to go out on their own in the media and bag him, but on the weight evidence you would say he is one of the more liked and respected coaches in the afl. When Watts, Wines, Boak etc talk about him they seem genuine enough anyway.

Yes I agree being a good bloke and respected doesn't make him a good coach. In fact I'm sure there are elements of being so affable and empathetic with the players that is to the detriment of his coaching ability. My argument was that because he is respected he has a lot of influence on the people around him. They get many 'learnings' from him as Nicks says.

And I don't want a Nicks type as our coach after Hinkley. Which I think we agree on.

hmmm.

R19 2000 - 67 point loss
R16 2001 - 34 point loss
QF 2001 - 32 point loss
R7 2002 - 57 point loss
PF 2002 - 56 point loss
R17 2003 - 1 point win
R11 2004 - 37 point loss

Wonder what other club was sent to the Gabba every year from 2000-2004. We get a very raw deal with travel and the fixture most years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back