Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's a tough competition and someone has to lose" but that's OK because we are just "a little battler club from Alberton". People expecting us to have success in the AFL are being unrealistic, delusional even. We can't expect success but at least we can have stability.
*sigh* :(

Let's not go overboard. This isn't 2015, or 2016, or even 2020. There's no doubt about this list and it's potential. Kane Cornes is there to write 's**t' articles. It's his job. Remember the articles he wrote about Richmond in 2017. Obviously they had the team to contend. In reality we do have a contending list. Both games that we lost this year lacked intensity and effort. Both were away games against good sides. We wouldn't have beaten Richmond if we were a s**t side. They're the best side in the competition and we did something we failed to do in previous seasons. Obviously we didn't go into those two games with the right mindset, OR there are other mental/stress issues with the quarters being increased. I believe Sydney, Geelong, Richmond, and West Coast have all had uncharacteristic performances.

I highly doubt we aren't good enough. We are. Something to think about is Richmonds 2017 season. Lost two games by big scores, and lost to 1,2,3 and 6.

To add: Richmond were up by 30 points against WB and lost, up by 30 against GWS and lost. Down by 30 against Fremantle. They weren't playing great by any means but I think people in the know would have known their potential despite the results.

1620013245151.png

Let's not go overboard. This isn't 2015, or 2016, or even 2020. There's no doubt about this list and it's potential. Kane Cornes is there to write 'sh*t' articles. It's his job. Remember the articles he wrote about Richmond in 2017. Obviously they had the team to contend. In reality we do have a contending list. Both games that we lost this year lacked intensity and effort. Both were away games against good sides. We wouldn't have beaten Richmond if we were a sh*t side. They're the best side in the competition and we did something we failed to do in previous seasons. Obviously we didn't go into those two games with the right mindset, OR there are other mental/stress issues with the quarters being increased. I believe Sydney, Geelong, Richmond, and West Coast have all had uncharacteristic performances.

I highly doubt we aren't good enough. We are. Something to think about is Richmonds 2017 season. Lost two games by big scores, and lost to 1,2,3 and 6.

View attachment 1117793

I do agree with this. There's no point blowing our loads too early. We'll have some s**t games along the journey. Both the West Coast game and Brisbane we were off. West Coast beat us by 6 goals. West Coast 3 weeks later lost to Geelong by 16 goals. Geelong lost to Adelaide.

The 2 losses have been concerning, but we have played like dog s**t in both. Just not switched on. Our team is very capable. Still a long way to go. The performance on Saturday has left me flat, but the bigger picture, I expected us to be 5 and 2, we are third, and it's not a bad spot to be in. We'll thrash Adelaide this weekend and have a big match against the Dogs after that. We'll hit the bye 8 and 3 at worst and we'll be in a good position to set ourselves up for the back half of the year and an assault on the finals. I know we've been let down many times before, but I've had a good feeling about this side and I expect us to be up to our eyeballs when the whips are cracking. I still retain faith.

I do agree with this. There's no point blowing our loads too early. We'll have some sh*t games along the journey. Both the West Coast game and Brisbane we were off. West Coast beat us by 6 goals. West Coast 3 weeks later lost to Geelong by 16 goals. Geelong lost to Adelaide.

The 2 losses have been concerning, but we have played like dog sh*t in both. Just not switched on. Our team is very capable. Still a long way to go. The performance on Saturday has left me flat, but the bigger picture, I expected us to be 5 and 2, we are third, and it's not a bad spot to be in. We'll thrash Adelaide this weekend and have a big match against the Dogs after that. We'll hit the bye 8 and 3 at worst and we'll be in a good position to set ourselves up for the back half of the year and an assault on the finals. I know we've been let down many times before, but I've had a good feeling about this side and I expect us to be up to our eyeballs when the whips are cracking. I still retain faith.

That’s the most positive and optimistic post on this board since about 7.10pm Saturday night.

Well done popo

And fwiw as bad as Saturday night was I haven’t given up on the playing group yet.

I do agree with this. There's no point blowing our loads too early. We'll have some sh*t games along the journey. Both the West Coast game and Brisbane we were off. West Coast beat us by 6 goals. West Coast 3 weeks later lost to Geelong by 16 goals. Geelong lost to Adelaide.

The 2 losses have been concerning, but we have played like dog sh*t in both. Just not switched on. Our team is very capable. Still a long way to go. The performance on Saturday has left me flat, but the bigger picture, I expected us to be 5 and 2, we are third, and it's not a bad spot to be in. We'll thrash Adelaide this weekend and have a big match against the Dogs after that. We'll hit the bye 8 and 3 at worst and we'll be in a good position to set ourselves up for the back half of the year and an assault on the finals. I know we've been let down many times before, but I've had a good feeling about this side and I expect us to be up to our eyeballs when the whips are cracking. I still retain faith.
I knew in the first 5 minutes on both games. Looking at players standing around holding positions in direct contrast to the game vs Richmond. What pissed me off is watching about 15 efforts by our players in one sequence of play, only to watch 4-5 clean link ups to goal for Brisbane. We were off, fumbly, clumsy, and lacked any polish.

I can see some obvious trades/delistings at the end of the year.

Woodcock is no good,
Hartlett has deteriorated rapidly. Should retire immediately.
We have 4-5 others that probably aren't worth hanging on to.
Where is Farrell at? I think with Georgiades Farrell is superfluous.
Dixon, is he even doing anything for us? Compared to other big forwards he's average. I'm getting tired of hearing people say, 'he nearly took that mark' I'd almost prefer to see Ladhams up forward.

Is Marshall long term for us? Is he trade bait?

That’s the most positive and optimistic post on this board since about 7.10pm Saturday night.

Well done popo

And fwiw as bad as Saturday night was I haven’t given up on the playing group yet.
Concur. Given up on the playing group? No. Given up on the senior coach? Long, long ago.

Concur. Given up on the playing group? No. Given up on the senior coach? Long, long ago.
It does concern me whatching Clarko (On most occasions) turn games around quickly, but with Ken there's nothing. Having said that, I still think there's something to travelling on the day of the game, and the extended quarters from last season.

We were lucky we grew up watching a Port Adelaide that routinely snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. People under the age of about 30 don't know that Port Adelaide.

Saturday night 5 minutes in I knew we were done for the night. Looked at the Swans Geelong scores and saw the Swans were 4 goals down at qtr time and thought "Swans are still in that". That's what ******* crushes me.

It does concern me whatching Clarko (On most occasions) turn games around quickly, but with Ken there's nothing. Having said that, I still think there's something to travelling on the day of the game, and the extended quarters from last season.
Same day travel? Extended quarters? They sure seem to exhaust Ken.

We were lucky we grew up watching a Port Adelaide that routinely snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. People under the age of about 30 don't know that Port Adelaide.

Saturday night 5 minutes in I knew we were done for the night. Looked at the Swans Geelong scores and saw the Swans were 4 goals down at qtr time and thought "Swans are still in that". That's what ******* crushes me.

Can anybody tell me the last time we were down by more than 5 goals and came back to win? The last one I can think of was North Melbourne at Footy Park in 2012.

Out of interest how many coaches make game day changes that win you a game? I reckon it would be fewer than you think.

What play or player would you have shuffled to get us back in against the lions or the Eagles?

This is the bigger issue for Ken and Port. Plan A is good and we’ve seen that the side can cope if the other side is just on top (Saints for a quarter, Carlton or Richmond for patches). This isn’t 2015-18, where we had one plan and other sides had it sussed.

Our problem seems to be we don’t turn up. The lions weren’t beating us with a superior list or game plan. They didn’t out think us on the day. The lions, like the Eagles, rocked up ready to play whilst our 22/23 didn’t. This has happened through out Ken’s tenure and does happen elsewhere. Sometimes he gets a response at quarter time and we lose but not by too many. On the weekend there was minimal fightback. Why we don’t rock up set for a battle - particular against sides where this has happened before - I just don’t know.

Like 2020, Port can win the flag, needs to take the opportunity. I don’t think Ken is a great coach but this year, there isn’t the clear contender of previous seasons, and maybe he can sneak a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually West Coast at Footy Park early 2013 might have been another one.
That was ANZAC round 5 - the day Peter Chant was officially recognised by Koch on the Club’s behalf. We were 41 points down in the third quarter.

Robbie’s first game back via the sub from his ruptured ACL. Jacko went off with a bung knee. My favourite play from the last quarter was Neade in his fifth game doing a lightning run down the east wing, kicking to Robbie in a one-on-one, Robbie winning it and getting the ball across to Monfries who ran into an open goal. The Eagles were exhausted.

Everything felt so fresh back then. The air crackled. Even Ken was fresh.

Then why doesn't Ken say that in the presser? Put the heat on the AFL a bit, say 'Its not an excuse for why we lost, but we'd have liked a bit more preparation leading into the game.'

Saying 'the contest broke' or 'they're a quality side' for the millionth time is so tired now.

Can anybody tell me the last time we were down by more than 5 goals and came back to win? The last one I can think of was North Melbourne at Footy Park in 2012.

Hinkley Era

• 3QT deficit
21 — WCE, 2013 (club record)
12 — Adel, 2013
9 — GC, 2013
8 — Melb, 2018
7 — WB, 2017
6 — StK, 2016

• Halftime deficit
38 — WCE, 2013 (club record)
24 — Freo, 2014
21 — Adel, 2018
15 — Adel, 2013
11 — Bris, 2018
11 — WCE, 2017

• 1QT deficit
22 — Carl, 2014
22 — WCE, 2013
19 — Freo, 2015
17 — Adel, 2013
17 — Syd, 2013

Not pleasant reading regarding resilience.

Well done popo

I'd love an investigation into the AFL forcing us to fly up on the same morning. This makes zero sense. Whether you fly the day before or the same day makes no difference re a covid situation. You're still going through the same airport. And why not just bus the players from the tarmac to the hotel if the airport terminal is that big of a problem?

Hinkley Era

• 3QT deficit
12 — Adel, 2013
9 — GC, 2013
8 — Melb, 2018
7 — WB, 2017
6 — StK, 2016

• Halftime deficit
24 — Freo, 2014
21 — Adel, 2018
15 — Adel, 2013
11 — Bris, 2018
11 — WCE, 2017

• 1QT deficit
22 — Carl, 2014
22 — WCE, 2013
19 — Freo, 2015
17 — Adel, 2013
17 — Syd, 2013

Yeah so the 2 games I remembered were it. Also an interesting trend is that our somewhat meagre comebacks are almost exclusively versus non Vic or small Vic clubs.

Yeah so the 2 games I remembered were it. Also an interesting trend is that our somewhat meagre comebacks are almost exclusively versus non Vic or small Vic clubs.

Mmmm. So, the 13/14 BurgessOMG comeback kids-era aside, if you lead Port by 3 goals at quarter time, 2-3 goals at half time or 9-12 points at three quarter time, history tells us you’re basically home.

Just absurd.

Hinkley Era

• 3QT deficit
12 — Adel, 2013
9 — GC, 2013
8 — Melb, 2018
7 — WB, 2017
6 — StK, 2016

• Halftime deficit
24 — Freo, 2014
21 — Adel, 2018
15 — Adel, 2013
11 — Bris, 2018
11 — WCE, 2017

• 1QT deficit
22 — Carl, 2014
22 — WCE, 2013
19 — Freo, 2015
17 — Adel, 2013
17 — Syd, 2013

LOL

So we haven't come back from more than 8 points down at 3QT since 2013 (!) and have only come back from more than 11 points down at half time ONCE since 2014.

Damning stats.

LOL

So we haven't come back from more than 8 points down at 3QT since 2013 (!) and have only come back from more than 11 points down at half time ONCE since 2014.

Damning stats.

I’m sure most people thought it was hyperbole when I and others have said “knew the result after West Coast/Brisbane kicked their third”, but it’s pretty much a statistical inevitability if the opposition jumps out to any sort of lead.

Mmmm. So, the 13/14 BurgessOMG comeback kids-era aside, if you lead Port by 3 goals at quarter time, 2-3 goals at half time or 9-12 points at three quarter time, history tells us you’re basically home.

Just absurd.

Absurd?

******* heartbreaking is what it is.

Sad indictment on the coach and the chairman that keeps appointing him.

Absurd?

******* heartbreaking is what it is.

Sad indictment on the coach and the chairman that keeps appointing him.

It is. Coaching or otherwise, we should be able to fight back into games with a greater frequency than ‘pretty much never’.

We’re like the last days of a fearsome MMA fighter.

A mortal threat to anyone if we land the signature blow, but if we take a flurry of early punches we’re waking up in the changerooms with our glass jaw in the recycle bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back