Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 11 rounds into a shortened season. We are playing better, are structurally more sound although I am convinced most of the changes/improvements are not his calls. He has a trigger for next year if we make finals. There is absolutely no need to extend him. If we do, we have learnt nothing from our mistakes of the past particularly the undeserved contract extension in 2017.

I find it hilarious that when things are on the improve you and others on this board say the bolded bit or something similar.

I guess if it all goes Pear shaped you and the others cannot blame Ken and ask for his immediate sacking, but I bet you do.

I find it hilarious that when things are on the improve you and others on this board say the bolded bit or something similar.

I guess if it all goes Pear shaped you and the others cannot blame Ken and ask for his immediate sacking, but I bet you do.
Five years of watching the same structures, same selections, same results will do that to you.
I find it hilarious that you would think otherwise after five years of dross.

He should have been sacked in 2017.

There are some big differences in 2020. We’re winning games we would have lost in prior years and there has been a notable shift in selection policy & gameday tactics.

There’s no real reason for the Kane Cornes types to claim victory when the changes we have been shouting out for are finally happening and bearing fruit. Ken is seemingly doing the impossible and evolving from a stubborn negative bastard to a proactive agile bastard. His comments on umpiring a couple of weeks ago are a huge departure from what we have been accustomed to.

In 2020 we have a single captain, we play talls, we drop underperforming seniors, we are playing positive footy, we are playing players in their best positions, this list goes on. This year might actually be different.

He should have been sacked in 2017.
You can’t seriously mean that can you? 2017 was not a sackable season by any means. We were one umpire reaming away from 2nd place (had we won the game vs Geelong we’d go to second) and even finishing 5th we were a Luke Shuey duck away from a semi final (or an accurate performance from Dixon.) I’m certainly not the biggest fan of Ken Hinkley but credit where credits due for the 2017 season. The 2018 and 19 seasons on the other hand....

Five years of watching the same structures, same selections, same results will do that to you.
I find it hilarious that you would think otherwise after five years of dross.
Read the FOOTBALL analysis by janus above and you might understand more than dross. There a select few worth reading who can provide an analysis. A lot of the rest is clap trap dribble.

You can’t seriously mean that can you? 2017 was not a sackable season by any means. We were one umpire reaming away from 2nd place (had we won the game vs Geelong we’d go to second) and even finishing 5th we were a Luke Shuey duck away from a semi final (or an accurate performance from Dixon.) I’m certainly not the biggest fan of Ken Hinkley but credit where credits due for the 2017 season. The 2018 and 19 seasons on the other hand....
He should never have been given a premature extension.

It's more that we should have just let him walk to Gold Coast considering he was prepared to leave us if we didn't give him an extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken has tried to make a two ruck (one resting forward) system work since we brought Ryder to the club. He tried it with Lobbe and Ryder in 2015, and he tried it with Lycett and Ryder in 2019. Now it seems like we're going with Lycett and Ladhams in 2020 - that's three out of eight years.

Every single season when we’ve had talls available at the start of the season we have played them. It’s only after a failure in forward pressure that we have dropped a tall and added a small forward.

Ken is one of the three people on the list management committee. The other two are Cripps and Davies. He accepted that decision because he'd already made the call himself by playing the likes of Marshall and Howard against West Coast in the finals over Trengove. It's why he got a three year extension (2 + 1). What the club was saying was “Sorry we wasted your time for five years. Can you stick around and help us build properly?”

Keeping those players around the club was more a reflection of the pup that Cripps had sold Ken saying the list in 2012 had a premiership in it. In 2014 it looked like it did. Due to WADA, it was only in 2017 that it was realised that it didn’t...2015 was seen as a young group that was just failing to meet expectations.

Ask yourself why at least three of Dixon, Marshall, Ladhams, Westhoff and Georgiades have played every game this year. Is it because Hinkley suddenly changed his coaching philosophy? Or is it because he’s finally got players who understand the need to compete as talls? Hinkley had no problems dropping Westhoff for the same reason he dropped Marshall last year.

“I’m not looking for the best players, Craig. I’m looking for the right ones.”

No point arguing the contrary of what Koch and the club have admitted a number of times.

You reckon? I think every player and coach this year has confirmed that our game plan hasn't changed from last year. What's changed is our ability to play to it, and not to fold under pressure - we're just generally much better at it with a more talented side. The young boys are stronger, Charlie doesn't have a broken leg, Ollie a broken ankle, Boak a bung shoulder etc etc... I'd agree that 2018 we were playing a different style but not last year.

Our ability to play it has changed because we now select to a structure capable of playing it. You can argue that we were playing the same style last year, but it's completely different when we're actually playing 3 tall forwards every week.

I also think our midfield setups are different. We don't seem so focused on raw clearance numbers anymore, we've recognised that it's a junk stat and now we focus more on defence and generating quality clearances where we get to the outside.

How quickly people forget the recent disgrace against Brisbane and the plethora of disgraces over the past 5 years.

Premiership only.

Then he can * off because it took him so long.

I'd have sacked him at the end of 2017. We finished 5th but we did so by beating up on bad teams while repeatedly losing against good teams when it mattered.

After 2015 and 2016, I needed something to prove we were headed in the right direction and I didn't get it at all. The loss to Essendon mid season was the tipping point for me. Our gamestyle fell over every time we played anything approaching a finals intensity match.

Our ability to play it has changed because we now select to a structure capable of playing it. You can argue that we were playing the same style last year, but it's completely different when we're actually playing 3 tall forwards every week.

I also think our midfield setups are different. We don't seem so focused on raw clearance numbers anymore, we've recognised that it's a junk stat and now we focus more on defence and generating quality clearances where we get to the outside.

Easy point. I can't remember this year seeing a Sam Gray type one out in our forward 50 as our hitup target or Dixon having to do a ridiculous amount of work across half back and the wing. He is actually playing tall forwards where they should like * me, give me 800k a year to work it out

Oh and we aren't kicking everything into the pockets for a f50 stoppage or a s**t shot at goal from a mark. Due to having tall targets.

I'll burn Alberton down if they extend him based on 11 corona rounds. There's been so much bad that getting some of it right when you are coaching to save your job doesn't automatically outweigh the absolute stubbornness that wasted years from our best players.

We are 11 rounds into a shortened season. We are playing better, are structurally more sound although I am convinced most of the changes/improvements are not his calls. He has a trigger for next year if we make finals. There is absolutely no need to extend him. If we do, we have learnt nothing from our mistakes of the past particularly the undeserved contract extension in 2017.
Oh don't get me wrong. Still not saying we should jump the gun and resign him long term. Just that he's done a lot better than what I was initially expecting for the season. Criticism and credit where it is due.

No point arguing the contrary of what Koch and the club have admitted a number of times.

Koch is the biggest bullshit artist of all time and always wants to take credit for things that he has no involvement with in the football department. He was the one who said at the end of that 2017 EF loss that if you don't like it here, we'll trade you, which pissed off the players who had busted their asses to try to win that game. Coronavirus has meant that Koch hasn't been able to stick his nose in as much as he normally would, and KT has also been notoriously quiet. And look - we're sitting on top of the ladder.

No such thing as coincidences.

Koch is the biggest bullshit artist of all time and always wants to take credit for things that he has no involvement with in the football department. He was the one who said at the end of that 2017 EF loss that if you don't like it here, we'll trade you, which pissed off the players who had busted their asses to try to win that game. Coronavirus has meant that Koch hasn't been able to stick his nose in as much as he normally would, and KT has also been notoriously quiet. And look - we're sitting on top of the ladder.

You make a good point about KT and Kochie, haven’t heard a peep.

Last time something notable from them happened it was Kochie fighting the good fight for the Prison Bars.

Corona has also meant Ken has had less time to coach the players at training and here we are.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back