Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can you show me an example of where Ken Hinkley has said that Ken Hinkley was at fault for a poor season? Even somewhere where he's blamed the coaching in general? I completely disagree that he's taken responsibility, ever, really.

Talking in a 'We' is fine when talking about moving forward. But talking about a 'We' when looking back is hiding from accountability. To strive for excellence, people at the club, especially key architects, need to take some personal responsibility, and just as importantly they need to be seen to be taking personal responsibility. We're now at the point where he's played 1 final in 5 seasons. Port supporters are looking for some sort of hope for the future, and they've got the same old coach trotting out the same old empty platitudes. The same old total lack of accountability, blame shifting garbage.

The stuff written here is quite often an emotional reaction to what has been a very long and difficult 5 years for people who live and die by the fortunes of this club. Potting people for sounding off on a discussion board because they're upset is a waste of your time and theirs.
Fair call, it’s your thread to vent.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
I think as a supporters we have dropped the ball as well. I've had a chat with someone who knows what is going on within the club and if they change the coach it is one of the assistants. We can't just terminate our coach like other teams and they may have signed him on to long. But he is under immense pressure the club has already noticed the input from Jarrod.
First of all, Schoey hasn't been around for long and in his short time I've seen some improvements. But with Hinkley's announcement of positional changes it seems the Schoey is being more active in asserting his ideas. I also think that Jarrod isn't a doormat and is smart enough to let people know that his philosophy is to have a team that runs more people through the middle. Now we see Hinkley saying the same thing. And the excitement that you see from the coach could be that he's seen a transformation in the team.
Could be a good year but we need a bit of faith in our team. And before I hear people talk about how they'll never trust it until they see it, of course Jarrod could fail as well. But at least he believes in a deep midfield rotation and I think it'll fit our team. I also believe Jarrod is there coach in waiting

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think as a supporters we have dropped the ball as well. I've had a chat with someone who knows what is going on within the club and if they change the coach it is one of the assistants. We can't just terminate our coach like other teams and they may have signed him on to long. But he is under immense pressure the club has already noticed the input from Jarrod.
First of all, Schoey hasn't been around for long and in his short time I've seen some improvements. But with Hinkley's announcement of positional changes it seems the Schoey is being more active in asserting his ideas. I also think that Jarrod isn't a doormat and is smart enough to let people know that his philosophy is to have a team that runs more people through the middle. Now we see Hinkley saying the same thing. And the excitement that you see from the coach could be that he's seen a transformation in the team.
Could be a good year but we need a bit of faith in our team. And before I hear people talk about how they'll never trust it until they see it, of course Jarrod could fail as well. But at least he believes in a deep midfield rotation and I think it'll fit our team. I also believe Jarrod is there coach in waiting

Our midfield is what worries me the most. So one paced and lacking star power. Rozee may become that star but it's probably too much to expect in his second year. Really hope the likes of him, Butters and Houston get more game time in the middle this year because we have too many big slow and poorly skilled players in the mix at the moment.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our midfield is what worries me the most. So one paced and lacking star power. Rozee may become that star but it's probably too much to expect in his second year. Really hope the likes of him, Butters and Houston get more game time in the middle this year because we have too many big slow and poorly skilled players in the mix at the moment.

I mean our midfield in 2021 (or even 2020) could look totally different and we are set up to make these changes.

Ladhams/Hayes
Houston
Amon
Duursma
Pep/Butters (50% mid, 50% fwd, )
Rozee/Williams/Mead (pick two at 50% mid, 50% fwd, the other a dedicated fwd)
Drew (bench)

There is a lot of speed in that lineup while maintaining toughness and defensive ability, and depth as well with at least one or two experienced blokes, Boak/Gray/Ebert/Motlop/Rocky being able to contribute too. Also haven't mentioned Bergman, who could be anything.

I'd say the idea of us being one-paced is related pretty heavily to the Wines/Boak/Rocky/Pep combination, and pretty soon at least 3 of those 4 should be either depth only or off our list entirely.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
My dream is we lose the first 5, Hinkley walks ...
Well it's self evident but the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan come to mind.

There's no way Hinkley will walk after round 5. Not automatically triggering the last year of his current contract extension doesn't preclude the club from giving him 2021 or an extension beyond.

Hinkley, and his family, will need to be dragged kicking and screaming out of Ports.

My view is that positions get harder to play the closer you get to goal.

You can develop a player into an AFL standard defender in about a year or two. See Houston, DBJ, Clurey, Howard and everyone else we've basically plugged and played in the Hinkley era to decent effect.

Midfield is a little more difficult, especially that top end quality you're referring to. But still, most players drafted played midfield as juniors and most players want to be star midfielders, you just have to find the guys with the right skill set. Boak and Gray have been star mids for us, guys like Wines and Ebert very solid. The next gen is Rozee, Houston, Butters, Duursma. I think it's looking OK there.

Forwards are the disaster point. We've had one AFL standard KPF since Tredrea (Schulz). We have no demonstrated ability to draft and develop these players. We attempt to trade for them but that's always going to be difficult because they are rare and hard to obtain. We lucked in with Schulz in a big way. And we are also poor at drafting and developing small forwards. Our only top level small forwards in the Hinkley era have been Monfries who we traded for and Wingard who was a generational talent. We've been totally unable to develop anyone else to the point where Sam Gray became our best small forward. Rozee was our leading goal kicker last year - a first year player who will end up playing midfield. It's a shambles and absolutely no wonder we need 300 inside 50s a game to kick 12 goals.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You can develop a player into an AFL standard defender in about a year or two. See Houston, DBJ, Clurey, Howard and everyone else we've basically plugged and played in the Hinkley era to decent effect.

Midfield is a little more difficult, especially that top end quality you're referring to. But still, most players drafted played midfield as juniors and most players want to be star midfielders, you just have to find the guys with the right skill set. Boak and Gray have been star mids for us, guys like Wines and Ebert very solid. The next gen is Rozee, Houston, Butters, Duursma. I think it's looking OK there.

Forwards are the disaster point. We've had one AFL standard KPF since Tredrea (Schulz). We have no demonstrated ability to draft and develop these players. We attempt to trade for them but that's always going to be difficult because they are rare and hard to obtain. We lucked in with Schulz in a big way. And we are also poor at drafting and developing small forwards. Our only top level small forwards in the Hinkley era have been Monfries who we traded for and Wingard who was a generational talent. We've been totally unable to develop anyone else to the point where Sam Gray became our best small forward. Rozee was our leading goal kicker last year - a first year player who will end up playing midfield. It's a shambles and absolutely no wonder we need 300 inside 50s a game to kick 12 goals.

I'm really hopeful on Georgiadis. Everything I hear about him I like. Dylan Williams could be a goer too.

I'm really hopeful on Georgiadis. Everything I hear about him I like. Dylan Williams could be a goer too.

They're both unknowns at this stage. And it's the hardest position on the ground. The fact that we're pinning our hopes on two guys that haven't even played a game yet shows how much trouble we're in.

Agree with this but the problem with our forward line generally seems to be much more related to the coaching than the cattle.

It's both. We mostly don't prioritise it at the draft table and then we don't develop it correctly when we do.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's both. We mostly don't prioritise it at the draft table and then we don't develop it correctly when we do.

Probably a fair call over the last decade but can't argue we haven't prioritised it in the last 3 years. Our top picks in that period have consisted of 8 forwards or fwd/mids and only 1 pure mid.... who we are now looking to turn in to a forward lol

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Absolutely this. Very evident last night watching the replay of '14 Prelim on Fox. Schulzy and Gus left gaping holes in our forward line and both traded in. Our coaching and development of forwards is nothing short of disgraceful.

We got Georgiades for Howard.

Not sure it will be seen as the big loss that people think it is in a few years time.

My dream is we lose the first 5, Hinkley walks, I renew my membership and then Schofield leads us on a barn storming run into the finals..... that's my dream.
I agree with most of this but you don't get a membership.

9A329D15-6497-4F2F-9BC6-D52FD6776B85.jpeg

Look out, we’re coming (with the same back six).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back