Status
Not open for further replies.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've heard very strong rumours that John Butcher will be the next CEO. He had coffee with Keith last week to discuss it, and soon after I saw his dad nodding his head.

J Butcher is really into finance and the share market. Good enough for me. He could also turn water into wine which will be useful

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
CFCComing.jpg

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Might be a bit misguided, but I sure as hell would rather hear the coach say that we are aiming to win the premiership than we’ve got a long way to go to be anything like Richmond/someone has to lose crap.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll start feeling inspired if we could maybe win more than 2 games in a row or something

What does a world class AFL forward line look like?

When I imagine a world class AFL forward line, I see talls that can beat their opponent one on one and will either mark or bring the ball to ground in a contested situation.

I see small forwards that sit at the feet of these talls and know that 8-9 times out of 10, the ball is dropping in front of them because the key forward hasn't run underneath the ball and can therefore protect the drop zone.

I hear communication between all the forwards so they aren't running into the same areas searching for a kick, but instead they run their patterns and the midfielder with the ball is the one that picks the best option.

I feel an entire forward line bristling with energy to keep the ball locked into their area of the ground, actively hunting back and half-backs with the idea that if there is an opportunity to hurt them, they will. But they understand that their primary role is to corral and create pressure.

I see a forward line that each player takes the responsibility for kicking the goal on his shoulders when he marks the ball. I see players who have faith in him that he will do just that.

I see only one or two handballs being executed inside 50 to clear the congestion to a Robbie Gray, Zak Butters, Steven Motlop, Connor Rozee or Dylan Williams if the ball is in general play, because the other players are creating space for these guys. When you need magic, you put the ball in the hands of your magicians.

A world class AFL forward line creates opportunities through its system and the personnel that play in that system, no matter who is defending them. It asks the question 'What are you going to do about this?', going through an relatively infinite list of potential problems that the opposition defence needs to negate.

A fully fit Dixon coupled with Marshall and Georgiades - the power forward, the tall general forward and the athletic forward - adds the critical first, second and third questions that slot in front of 'How are you going to stop Robbie Gray?'...which last year was the first question asked for the majority of the season (with a brief cameo from Rozee).

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What does a world class AFL forward line look like?

When I imagine a world class AFL forward line, I see talls that can beat their opponent one on one and will either mark or bring the ball to ground in a contested situation.

I see small forwards that sit at the feet of these talls and know that 8-9 times out of 10, the ball is dropping in front of them because the key forward hasn't run underneath the ball and can therefore protect the drop zone.

I hear communication between all the forwards so they aren't running into the same areas searching for a kick, but instead they run their patterns and the midfielder with the ball is the one that picks the best option.

I feel an entire forward line bristling with energy to keep the ball locked into their area of the ground, actively hunting back and half-backs with the idea that if there is an opportunity to hurt them, they will. But they understand that their primary role is to corral and create pressure.

I see a forward line that each player takes the responsibility for kicking the goal on his shoulders when he marks the ball. I see players who have faith in him that he will do just that.

I see only one or two handballs being executed inside 50 to clear the congestion to a Robbie Gray, Zak Butters, Steven Motlop, Connor Rozee or Dylan Williams if the ball is in general play, because the other players are creating space for these guys. When you need magic, you put the ball in the hands of your magicians.

A world class AFL forward line creates opportunities through its system and the personnel that play in that system, no matter who is defending them. It asks the question 'What are you going to do about this?', going through an relatively infinite list of potential problems that the opposition defence needs to negate.

A fully fit Dixon coupled with Marshall and Georgiades - the power forward, the tall general forward and the athletic forward - adds the critical first, second and third questions that slot in front of 'How are you going to stop Robbie Gray?'...which last year was the first question asked for the majority of the season (with a brief cameo from Rozee).

The kiss of death

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

With the exception of Schulz and Wingard this hasn’t been Port Adelaide’s forward line for at least a decade. Even Robbie, as great as he is in other aspects of the game, is as guilty as any of them in doing the old sideways look after marking I50 and even mid-approach sometimes. Drives me insane.

With the exception of Schulz and Wingard this hasn’t been Port Adelaide’s forward line for at least a decade. Even Robbie, as great as he is in other aspects of the game, is as guilty as any of them in doing the old sideways look after marking I50 and even mid-approach sometimes. Drives me insane.

My opinion is that you look for a better option as soon as you mark the ball by turning around quickly and seeing what's available. Everyone should do one more lead after a mark to give a player who is on a tight angle a better option.

As soon as you've taken steps back/turned your back...that's a player signalling to their teammates that they are taking the shot. I swear a lot of our problems come from players being tentative with their set shot routine.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have the worst forward line in the AFL. And it's not going to go from league worst to premiership standard overnight.

What about Adelaide? Betts, Cameron, Jenkins, McGovern all gone. Walker is apparently dedicated to a Justin Westhoff impersonation this year. Who even is their forward line?

What about Adelaide? Betts, Cameron, Jenkins, McGovern all gone. Walker is apparently dedicated to a Justin Westhoff impersonation this year. Who even is their forward line?

Pretty sure he means how they work together. Or in our case, how they don't.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My opinion is that you look for a better option as soon as you mark the ball by turning around quickly and seeing what's available. Everyone should do one more lead after a mark to give a player who is on a tight angle a better option.

As soon as you've taken steps back/turned your back...that's a player signalling to their teammates that they are taking the shot. I swear a lot of our problems come from players being tentative with their set shot routine.

Having a look if you’re on a genuinely tight angle with low odds of success is fair enough but I think we take the piss here. A lot of our guys look for the perfect shot, which often results in no shot being taken at all.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
We have the worst forward line in the AFL. And it's not going to go from league worst to premiership standard overnight.
Hardly with the same coaches, at least. Still, Janus offers a different setup from those we have been using in games. If Marshall and Georgiadis are good on the ground as they are thought to be, I wouldn't mind having Ladhams added to the mix. Let the opposing coaches find an answer on how to stop a forwardline with Dixon-Ladhams, Todd-Mitch, and Rozee-Gray.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The FOG™, Stengle AKA Eddie Betts Jr, that ex Port player who will now suddenly be good, and some other bloke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back