Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not thinking everything Ken does is wrong or bad is fine. We don't have to explicitly say for every decision he's got right 'Yep, Ken was right here'.

Why not?

The scales of justice deserve to be balanced fairly. That’s how you get people to listen - otherwise it’s just a kangaroo court, even if it’s only a court of public opinion.

You guys complain that the club doesn’t hear you, but maybe it’s because you can be dismissed as being hard hearted and unreasonable due to threads like this. “Oh that’s just those raving lunatics on BigFooty. They’ve got nothing of actual substance to say, because they are ALWAYS talking s**t about the club and the coaching staff.”

It’s actually gotten to the point where it’s amusing to see the anger and frustration, because it’s so comical. No one is as one sidedly negative as this board. If you met someone who was constantly talking s**t about someone, and never had anything positive to say, would you listen to them?

I wouldn’t.

Hard to see what insights you can get from someone who coaches a sport which is pretty much... "hold the ball, run forwards with it, throw it backwards, get a concussion"

I can think of a few - how to run in waves, how to get the ball back quickly in a neutral situation (when it hits the ground), how to exploit holes with pace/power in defensive setups to score, how to defend the ground by squeezing the attack against the boundary through holding your line defensively.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
Why not?

The scales of justice deserve to be balanced fairly. That’s how you get people to listen - otherwise it’s just a kangaroo court, even if it’s only a court of public opinion.

You guys complain that the club doesn’t hear you, but maybe it’s because you can be dismissed as being hard hearted and unreasonable due to threads like this. “Oh that’s just those raving lunatics on BigFooty. They’ve got nothing of actual substance to say, because they are ALWAYS talking s**t about the club and the coaching staff.”

It’s actually gotten to the point where it’s amusing to see the anger and frustration, because it’s so comical. No one is as one sidedly negative as this board. If you met someone who was constantly talking s**t about someone, and never had anything positive to say, would you listen to them?

I wouldn’t.
I've come to the conclusion you're just a contrarian. Arguing and opposing gives your life meaning.

I've come to the conclusion you're just a contrarian. Arguing and opposing gives your life meaning.

Because I said “Hey, maybe it’s an idea to mention the good someone does?”

Someone honestly said that Ken can’t develop players. And yet I see Byrne-Jones, Houston and Amon all becoming better players then they started with us. Rozee, Butters and Duursma are also on their way.

It’s getting absolutely ridiculous to the point of a pantomime. By all means demand his sacking if that’s what you think the problem is, I don’t give a s**t (and I doubt Ken does either), but dial the rhetoric down to 8 instead of having it cranked to 11.

Then you’ve actually got a chance that people will listen.

P.S. What gives my life meaning is the pursuit of the space between the forces of Yin and Yang. Where the light of creation and the darkness of the void meet - the exact moment of conception in all things, where possibility is infinite.

If I seem contrarian, it’s only because you’re unbalanced.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
P.S. What gives my life meaning is the pursuit of the space between the forces of Yin and Yang. Where the light of creation and the darkness of the void meet - the exact moment of conception in all things, where possibility is infinite.

The Monk who wants a Ferrari.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hard to see what insights you can get from someone who coaches a sport which is pretty much... "hold the ball, run forwards with it, throw it backwards, get a concussion"
1) Don't drink Coke Zero the whole game. (When Oak was sponsor at the time)
2) Don't laugh and joke with Vossy after an important game we lost.
3) Get selections right for once.

We've missed the finals 9 of the past 12 years. We're a mediocre, also ran club ala St Kilda or Fremantle. We make up the numbers. And that's the mentality that pervades the club and increasingly some sections of the supporter base. If we as supporters let our standards drop any further, the club's only competitive advantage (its tradition of success) risks being lost forever. And if that happens, good luck seeing another premiership in any of our lifetimes.

What better conditions for a coach to chop and change his gameplan every year while claiming to have a young side that contains a dozen blokes pushing/past 30 years old?

#positivityfriday

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Looking forward to our forwards taping their ears.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
Because I said “Hey, maybe it’s an idea to mention the good someone does?”

Someone honestly said that Ken can’t develop players. And yet I see Byrne-Jones, Houston and Amon all becoming better players then they started with us. Rozee, Butters and Duursma are also on their way.

It’s getting absolutely ridiculous to the point of a pantomime. By all means demand his sacking if that’s what you think the problem is, I don’t give a s**t (and I doubt Ken does either), but dial the rhetoric down to 8 instead of having it cranked to 11.

Then you’ve actually got a chance that people will listen.

If I seem contrarian, it’s only because you’re unbalanced.
Nup. You are. Go on .... say I'm just contradicting.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No, I understand your point - it is the same logic I apply when people criticise Trump’s actions just because he is Trump (and if say Obama performed the same action he’d be praised).

But Hinkley attempting to resurrect his career and our club is all too littl
Is that the opposite of a sheep? Asking for a friend.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Ken crying reading bigfooty
giphy.gif

I can think of a few - how to run in waves, how to get the ball back quickly in a neutral situation (when it hits the ground), how to exploit holes with pace/power in defensive setups to score, how to defend the ground by squeezing the attack against the boundary through holding your line defensively.

As someone who played both Aussie rules and also rugby union, it helped me greatly in my Aussie rules to play rugby. Pretty much in the areas Janus mentioned but also strength in tackling and being tackled, center of gravity, reading the play, hardening me up as a whole and inner core strength along with other aspects.

I don't begrudge Hinkley learning new aspects in coaching if it helps us as a club. The guy irritates the s**t out of me but if he brings us success then all the better but if he doesn't then its time to go.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As someone who played both Aussie rules and also rugby union, it helped me greatly in my Aussie rules to play rugby. Pretty much in the areas Janus mentioned but also strength in tackling and being tackled, center of gravity, reading the play, hardening me up as a whole and inner core strength along with other aspects.
Fabian Francis was a good example of this.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks

I don't begrudge Hinkley learning new aspects in coaching if it helps us as a club. The guy irritates the s**t out of me but if he brings us success then all the better but if he doesn't then its time to go.
So we sent Hinkley to England so he could become our tackling coach. Money well spent.

Just need to find someone suitable for the head coach's position now.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Jake Neade - 6 weeks without a goal. Stays in the 22, then delisted.
Sam Gray - "we learned he's a midfielder" in 2015. For the next four years he's played as forward.
Monfries - defensive half forward graveyard
Boak - defensive half forward graveyard pt. II
Trengove - forward experiment failure, dropped before 2017 EF and left exposed for height in defence.
Dixon - dropped against GWS. Intercept mark bonanza.
Lycett - dropped in favour of injury prone and overweight Ryder who later gets delisted.
Pittard - played all year despite diabolical form and then traded for nothing.
Westhoff - wins a B&F as a wingman and then put forward where he plays his worst football of his career. Now a defender.
Johnson - selected to play a forward-defensive role on Rory Laird.
Impey - played forward for rubbish rusults, traded to a club that plays him in his natural position.
McKenzie - selected for one game where he's toweled up by Stringer, dropped for two years, now a key part of our defensive stocks.
Wingard - traded because of professionalism issues, never once dropped to the lower league.
Motlop - persisted with despite shirking contests, half assed tackle attempts and toe poking to teammates that arent upright.

Who else am I missing?

Sack him. Sack him this year.

Jake Neade - 6 weeks without a goal. Stays in the 22, then delisted.
Sam Gray - "we learned he's a midfielder" in 2015. For the next four years he's played as forward.
Monfries - defensive half forward graveyard
Boak - defensive half forward graveyard pt. II
Trengove - forward experiment failure, dropped before 2017 EF and left exposed for height in defence.
Dixon - dropped against GWS. Intercept mark bonanza.
Lycett - dropped in favour of injury prone and overweight Ryder who later gets delisted.
Pittard - played all year despite diabolical form and then traded for nothing.
Westhoff - wins a B&F as a wingman and then put forward where he plays his worst football of his career. Now a defender.
Johnson - selected to play a forward-defensive role on Rory Laird.
Impey - played forward for rubbish rusults, traded to a club that plays him in his natural position.
McKenzie - selected for one game where he's toweled up by Stringer, dropped for two years, now a key part of our defensive stocks.
Wingard - traded because of professionalism issues, never once dropped to the lower league.
Motlop - persisted with despite shirking contests, half assed tackle attempts and toe poking to teammates that arent upright.

Who else am I missing?

Sack him. Sack him this year.
I would understand the "coach knows best" views if we were making the top 4 or even winning a final. But Ken hasn't done any of that. Why give him faith now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back