Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we sent Hinkley to England so he could become our tackling coach. Money well spent.

Just need to find someone suitable for the head coach's position now.

Method in our madness ;)

I would understand the "coach knows best" views if we were making the top 4 or even winning a final. But Ken hasn't done any of that. Why give him faith now?

That's why it's important to look at the individual blunders because trusting him to turn it around because "I've been around football a long time moite" is a flawed attitude. People need to point out just how bad he is at team management.

That's why it's important to look at the individual blunders because trusting him to turn it around because "I've been around football a long time moite" is a flawed attitude. People need to point out just how bad he is at team management.
This.

There is no disputing that Hinkley has been around football a long time but the fact that he is still largely clueless means the probability that the penny is finally going to drop with him is infinitesimal.

Jake Neade - 6 weeks without a goal. Stays in the 22, then delisted.
Sam Gray - "we learned he's a midfielder" in 2015. For the next four years he's played as forward.
Monfries - defensive half forward graveyard
Boak - defensive half forward graveyard pt. II
Trengove - forward experiment failure, dropped before 2017 EF and left exposed for height in defence.
Dixon - dropped against GWS. Intercept mark bonanza.
Lycett - dropped in favour of injury prone and overweight Ryder who later gets delisted.
Pittard - played all year despite diabolical form and then traded for nothing.
Westhoff - wins a B&F as a wingman and then put forward where he plays his worst football of his career. Now a defender.
Johnson - selected to play a forward-defensive role on Rory Laird.
Impey - played forward for rubbish rusults, traded to a club that plays him in his natural position.
McKenzie - selected for one game where he's toweled up by Stringer, dropped for two years, now a key part of our defensive stocks.
Wingard - traded because of professionalism issues, never once dropped to the lower league.
Motlop - persisted with despite shirking contests, half assed tackle attempts and toe poking to teammates that arent upright.

Who else am I missing?

Sack him. Sack him this year.
But hey, some of us on BF just find any reason to be negative.

Sam Gray - "we learned he's a midfielder" in 2015. For the next four years he's played as forward.
Trengove - forward experiment failure, dropped before 2017 EF and left exposed for height in defence.
Lycett - dropped in favour of injury prone and overweight Ryder who later gets delisted.
Westhoff - wins a B&F as a wingman and then put forward where he plays his worst football of his career. Now a defender.
Impey - played forward for rubbish rusults, traded to a club that plays him in his natural position.
McKenzie - selected for one game where he's toweled up by Stringer, dropped for two years, now a key part of our defensive stocks.
Wingard - traded because of professionalism issues, never once dropped to the lower league.
Motlop - persisted with despite shirking contests, half assed tackle attempts and toe poking to teammates that arent upright.

Who else am I missing?

Now go through the players you would have played instead of them in those exact positions.

Who else am I missing?

That is one flaming indictment against anyone let alone a head coach.

For your benefit? Nah. If you can't see what's up by now then there's no point.

It’s easy. I’ll cross a couple of them out now:

Boak only played half forward when Monfries got suspended. The fact that we now have Motlop, Rozee, Butters, Bergman and Williams who have all either played or are slated to play the same role goes to show how important it is in modern football.

Impey has been deployed forward by Clarkson numerous times. And people were hanging s**t on him in defence more than they were up forward. We had no one else to play either role - Motlop didn’t rock up until the offseason Impey went the other way, Rozee and Butters weren’t here yet either, and Amon isn’t a defensive pressure forward.

Trengove had been completely exposed as a defender by Adelaide in 2017. I thought the whole point is to win a premiership?

Lycett was dropped for Ladhams because he didn’t like working in tandem with Ryder (he didn’t want to play forward) and we were still trying to convince Paddy to stick around if Ladhams didn’t re-sign. I’m still dark on the fact that Ryder only played for 4 of his 5 years here and lived up to his hype exactly one season.

Kane Farrell didn’t even register a possession for six weeks last year and no one gave a *, and that’s who would have replaced Neade - but he was gifted four goals against Fremantle so it’s okay (NOTE: this is hyperbole. I have no idea how many possessions Farrell got, and I don’t care about him enough to go check. I know it wasn’t good though)

Sam Gray - see the Boak/Monfries situation and our dearth of AFL quality forwards as to why he was pigeonholed into that position. Especially since he was small, slow and not particularly skilled. He’s the perfect example of a player you use in a developing squad.

There’s a few done for you :)

It’s easy. I’ll cross a couple of them out now:

Boak only played half forward when Monfries got suspended. The fact that we now have Motlop, Rozee, Butters, Bergman and Williams who have all either played or are slated to play the same role goes to show how important it is in modern football.

Impey has been deployed forward by Clarkson numerous times. And people were hanging s**t on him in defence more than they were up forward. We had no one else to play either role - Motlop didn’t rock up until the offseason Impey went the other way, Rozee and Butters weren’t here yet either, and Amon isn’t a defensive pressure forward.

Trengove had been completely exposed as a defender by Adelaide in 2017. I thought the whole point is to win a premiership?

Lycett was dropped for Ladhams because he didn’t like working in tandem with Ryder (he didn’t want to play forward) and we were still trying to convince Paddy to stick around if Ladhams didn’t re-sign. I’m still dark on the fact that Ryder only played for 4 of his 5 years here and lived up to his hype exactly one season.

Kane Farrell didn’t even register a possession for six weeks last year and no one gave a fu**, and that’s who would have replaced Neade - but he was gifted four goals against Fremantle so it’s okay (NOTE: this is hyperbole. I have no idea how many possessions Farrell got, and I don’t care about him enough to go check. I know it wasn’t good though)

Sam Gray - see the Boak/Monfries situation and our dearth of AFL quality forwards as to why he was pigeonholed into that position. Especially since he was small, slow and not particularly skilled. He’s the perfect example of a player you use in a developing squad.

There’s a few done for you :)

Boak is a gun mid. Moved him out of his best position to act as a decoy. s**t move. And don't even mention Motlop as an option. He hasnt earned it.

Impey was in career best form as a defender before injuring himself.

The whole team was trash against Adelaide in 2017, not just Trengove. Hard to defend when the ball is coming in at that kind of rate. Wasn't it a record inside 50s for them? Hinkley should have been sacked on the spot.

You just strengthened my point RE: Ryder. Never should have played in front of Lycett.

Farrell is learning. Neade was five years deep. Another tall would've been nice.

Sam Gray - the coach ADMITTED he wasn't a forward. HE SAID IT.

This line is concerning..
‘ Ken Hinkley isn’t the only coach to rack the brains of Jones. Simon Goodwin went there prior to the 2019 season’ 😒

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm sure Ken has spent a lot of time with Ex Wallabies and 1991 WC winning coach. Bob "kick it to the bloody shithouse" Dwyer.

Getting the balance of a team right/players in their best position is what separates the wheat from the chaff in the coaching stakes, eg Fos Williams turning John Abley from a B grade Hawthorn full forward to a 3x All Australian full back.

The likes of Kern, Voss and Bassett aren't fit to lick his boots, or those of John Cahill, and the sooner those useless campaigners and Bozo the clown Koch get the rissole out of the club the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting the balance of a team right/players in their best position is what separates the wheat from the chaff in the coaching stakes, eg Fos Williams turning John Abley from a B grade Hawthorn full forward to a 3x All Australian full back.

The likes of Kern, Voss and Bassett aren't fit to lick his boots, or those of John Cahill, and the sooner those useless campaigners and Bozo the clown Koch get the rissole out of the club the better.
You looking for easy likes or something?

Categorically false.

*Janus making s**t up to win an argument :eek: colour me shocked!*

Farrell played 7 games last year:
R6: 11d, 1g
R7: 14d, 3g
R8: 9d, 0g
R9: 7d, 2g
R10: 10d, 4g
R11: 4d, 1g
R12: 4d, 0g

Mike drop.

Yeah but to be fair, he didn't register a possession in the games he didn't play.

So unlike any other club in the AFL, poor old Ken has copped some "abuse" from supporters.

Hmmmm.
example 1
"we fink that co-captains is the best way to go, be bold youse lot and stop ya whinging ...yada yada yada"

2019 season occurs.

Categorically false.

*Janus making s**t up to win an argument :eek: colour me shocked!*

Farrell played 7 games last year:
R6: 11d, 1g
R7: 14d, 3g
R8: 9d, 0g
R9: 7d, 2g
R10: 10d, 4g
R11: 4d, 1g
R12: 4d, 0g

Mike drop.

I said it was hyperbole, didn’t I? I also said I didn’t give a * what he actually posted as stats because there was nothing about those games that was memorable:

His first game was against Adelaide where he was part of the dysfunctional forward line that for some reason wasn’t able to exploit the space that the Crows left due to being glacially slow in defence. Aidyn Johnson has more disposals than he did - the only difference was Farrell managed to kick a junk time goal. It was so bad in the forward line that we had to shift Howard forward to get someone who actually gave a *. We lost.

His second game was against Gold Coast. Wow, he had a day out against the Suns at home.

Next was Hawthorn. You’re really going to say that he did well that game? Seriously??

R11 was against the Saints. In a game we absolutely dominated, he could only manage 7 disposals and 2 goals? Riley Bonner had 15 disposals and kicked 3.

R13 he was gifted at least two, possibly three of those goals against Fremantle (I don’t care enough to check). Basically Aaron Young vs Collingwood, where it wouldn’t have mattered who it was. Pretty sure we lost that game too, didn’t we?

Then Geelong and the Dogs he was complete ratshit.

Neade was rubbish in 2018, which is why he got delisted. No one disputes that. But him playing over Kane Farrell wasn’t the difference between winning and losing those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back