Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cognitive dissonance - According to this theory, when two actions or ideas are not psychologically consistent with each other, people do all in their power to change them until they become consistent. The discomfort is triggered by the person's belief clashing with new information perceived, wherein they try to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort.

Belief - Hinkley can’t coach and should be sacked

Reality - Port is going to finish top two having lost only 3 or 4 games for the year

Cognitive Dissonance - Ken is doing what he should have done from day one or it’s someone else who is running the show...even though we are playing the two ruck system we played last year and Dixon wasn’t even available for most of the year.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This thread has really taken a curve recently, lots of people all of a sudden having 2 bob each way :D

I can't believe the people who suggested that Ken Hinkley should be sacked based on his lack of success are now more open to the idea of him staying because he has had some success this year.

How hypocritical of them.

So what if we lose both of our finals games, will all the Hinkley lovers think that next years extension and possibly beyond is the right call?

Why does the new Port keep putting the cart before the horse, results first decisions second. That would be 8 years as head coach and no winning finals for 6 years.

Perhaps we should wait and see what happens.

At the moment you can not really ask for much more, we have been top all year , that with in its self is excellent, especially considering the crazy year it’s been so far!

Will be interesting how the season pans out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cognitive dissonance - According to this theory, when two actions or ideas are not psychologically consistent with each other, people do all in their power to change them until they become consistent. The discomfort is triggered by the person's belief clashing with new information perceived, wherein they try to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort.

Reality - Port is going to finish top two having lost only 3 or 4 games for the year

Cognitive Dissonance - Ken is doing what he should have done from day one or it’s someone else who is running the show...even though we are playing the two ruck system we played last year and Dixon wasn’t even available for most of the year.

Belief - Hinkley hasn't won a final for 6 years

Reality - Hinkley hasn't won a final for 6 years

The test for Hinkley hasn't even started yet. It starts in two weeks. Fingers crossed he passes.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

We played games last year without a single recognised key forward. Let's not pretend he's always been committed to playing a 3 tall forward setup.

You lecturing others about cognitive dissonance after the last half a decade on this board is pretty funny.

You've also posted a "belief" and a "reality" that aren't mutually exclusive.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also the fact that even the club has said that Ken changed things significantly in the off-season, it's not like it's even up for debate: https://www.afl.com.au/news/375933/why-is-ken-hinkley-in-england-port-coach-dials-up-workload

"PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley is leaving no stone unturned in his quest to return the Power to the finals, travelling halfway around the world to learn from England rugby union coach Eddie Jones on the eve of the season."

"Cornes revealed that Hinkley had taken more responsibility during the summer than he had in previous years."

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really fail to see why acknowledging it is seen as negative either.

I've been saying it since probably this time last year. I want a successful coach who can win us flags. If that's Ken because he is willing to work on developing his skill set and decision making ability to become a coach who can deliver them then more power to him. It's no different to Charlie drilling 100 goals from different set shot angles.

We played games last year without a single recognised key forward. Let's not pretend he's always been committed to playing a 3 tall forward setup.

You lecturing others about cognitive dissonance after the last half a decade on this board is pretty funny.

You've also posted a "belief" and a "reality" that aren't mutually exclusive.

Because we didn't have a recognised key forward that was in form.

Didn't I tell you at the start of the year that Marshall would play every game that he was available for, and it was only form that would determine whether Georgiades played as well?

You want to know how I knew that? Because it's always been in Ken's MO to play key forwards that are in form.

With Ladhams coming into the side, it means it's an either/or proposition with Georgiades and Marshall, unless one of them is going to replace a Butters or a Rozee (which isn't going to happen).

My so called cognitive dissonance is a related to playing talls that are fit and in form i.e. what we are doing this year, vs this idea that we should have played them regardless of how they performed, as if that was the answer to a team that wasn't putting in defensive effort. I've always said that I don't care how many kicks are goals Marshall gets as long as he competes for the ball when its his turn to go. It's why Westhoff was dropped - he just wasn't competing hard for the ball anymore.

Worsfold said it best:

"You're talking about a team that is right in a premiership window in terms of age and experience...they're not (at the top of the ladder) because they're fluking it. They've worked hard at this for six or seven years to get to where they are at. And they've committed to it, they've stuck at it, and that's what I'm saying, you've got to be prepared to do that.

You sit on top of the ladder because you beat the opposition you are playing every week, and this year you're only playing each team once. So the ladder tells the story of how good you are. There's no easy draw for anyone this year."

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
sure. But nobody accepted the coin toss or injuries when they went the other way in previous years

I did. Add in its always hard work with the umpires. Dixon called to play on with the shot clock. Crows hitting post yet called a goal. There is a lot of luck in sport and whilst I don’t think any of that was the difference between us and a flag, it was between us and finals/top 4 for a number of consecutive years.

This is far too simplistic. It doesn't factor in ground location, injuries, form, head space, umpiring and more. At the same time you can't completely ignore it nor treat it as gospel.

The Cats were primed for that game, like we were primed for the Tigers. The Brissy game could have went either way and was played at the Gabba. In fact all but the Richmond game was in Queensland, sure not a true away game but opposition teams are settled there atm.

All those teams are capable of beating the others on their day. That includes us.
It is simplistic. But it's hard to be the outright premiership favourites when you got beaten comfortably by 2 out of 3 fellow contenders.

Uh oh.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/b601fe7e8c882e6300c2984521c7d6c2

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has every right to feel annoyed - for himself and more so for his AFL club.

... no one is giving Hinkley or his club any credit. You can sense this is starting to irritate Hinkley.

According to past form, a) Koch will put Ken out of his Kornes-invented funk with a premature announcement or b) out comes the sunnies, the white plastic chair, the leafy tree by the river, and the aggro armfold.

Past form had better stay in the past.

And shut up Kane.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Uh oh.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/b601fe7e8c882e6300c2984521c7d6c2

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has every right to feel annoyed - for himself and more so for his AFL club.

... no one is giving Hinkley or his club any credit. You can sense this is starting to irritate Hinkley.

According to past form, a) Koch will put Ken out of his Kornes-invented funk with a premature announcement or b) out comes the sunnies, the white plastic chair, the leafy tree by the river, and the aggro armfold.

Past form had better stay in the past.

And shut up Kane.
Of course it's irritating Hinkley. Last think he wants is having to wait until after we've played Richmond, Brisbane and Geelong in finals and those (up to) 3 matches used to rate his performance.

I did. Add in its always hard work with the umpires. Dixon called to play on with the shot clock. Crows hitting post yet called a goal. There is a lot of luck in sport and whilst I don’t think any of that was the difference between us and a flag, it was between us and finals/top 4 for a number of consecutive years.

See, I agree with you that there are games where bad luck ****ed us over, in these cases the Geelong game cost us second spot and the Crows game cost us a finals spot so they have big implications immediately. But I think our finishing positions were reflective of the performances that we were dishing out, where we weren’t beating top 8 teams and stuff like that.

I recall people were stating their predictions for 2020 earlier in this thread and I would probably be at the higher end, I thought realistically we could finish in the bottoms half of the top 8 because we’d be able to persist with a 3 forward structure and I figured injuries wouldn’t affect us so much. I’d never have predicted McKenzie, Butters or Boak would make leaps as big as they did this year. I’ve previously been in the sack Ken boat, but now I’m waiting it out, he’s exceeded my realistic expectations but he can still bottom out from here (I really hope that doesn’t happen) but at the moment I’m more concerned about the finals before I worry about his next contract extension.

Food for thought

This condensed season and the Covid-19 situation meant less training sessions right.

That also means less time for the players to be corrupted by bad coaching and gameplan.

Our season success is purely off the talents of our list not being overcoached and playing to their instincts.

#bigbrainthinking
Don't kid yourself, there is still plenty of (bullshit) meetings and planning.

So for those who had us below the 8, what is the reason we’re top of the ladder with one minor round game to play?
I had us make the 8 and pushing for top 4 with a 10-14 win season - but that was from 22 games.

I have said many times before over many years, that the basic difference between being a top 4 and bottom 4 team is basically 4 players. All Australians or near All Australian contributions from a KPD, a midfielder, a ruckman and a KPF.

We weren't bottom 4 but compare this years form of those 4 players in our squad to their 2019 form.
Jonas - brilliant this year, last year played with injuries and struggled.
Wines - the last 8 weeks has been in career best form after a disastrous 2019.
Lycett - has been excellent this year plus contributions from Ladhams helps in that area
Dixon - came back last year after a dislocated ankle and broken leg a shadow of himself. Now best or 2nd best KPF.

Our forwardline has more firepower - Dixon, Marshall was very good before he broke his hand, Georgiades has come in and Butters has improved out of sight.

SPP has added grunt in the midfield. Rocky has improved. McKenzie has come from nowhere and remember Harlett did an ACL in 2018 and only played 11 games in 2019. He has had a great year and is Jonas' right hand man organising the defence.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Person who declares every year that a Ports flag is a certainty and then executes mind boggling mental gymnastics to explain that he didn't actually mean a certainty lectures others on cognitive dissonance. Just when you think you've seen it all.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Because we didn't have a recognised key forward that was in form.

Didn't I tell you at the start of the year that Marshall would play every game that he was available for, and it was only form that would determine whether Georgiades played as well?

You want to know how I knew that? Because it's always been in Ken's MO to play key forwards that are in form.

With Ladhams coming into the side, it means it's an either/or proposition with Georgiades and Marshall, unless one of them is going to replace a Butters or a Rozee (which isn't going to happen).

My so called cognitive dissonance is a related to playing talls that are fit and in form i.e. what we are doing this year, vs this idea that we should have played them regardless of how they performed, as if that was the answer to a team that wasn't putting in defensive effort. I've always said that I don't care how many kicks are goals Marshall gets as long as he competes for the ball when its his turn to go. It's why Westhoff was dropped - he just wasn't competing hard for the ball anymore.

Worsfold said it best:

"You're talking about a team that is right in a premiership window in terms of age and experience...they're not (at the top of the ladder) because they're fluking it. They've worked hard at this for six or seven years to get to where they are at. And they've committed to it, they've stuck at it, and that's what I'm saying, you've got to be prepared to do that.

You sit on top of the ladder because you beat the opposition you are playing every week, and this year you're only playing each team once. So the ladder tells the story of how good you are. There's no easy draw for anyone this year."

The players we played as fill in key forwards weren't in form either, played like it, and we lost disastrously.

Marshall is not doing anything this year he wasn't doing last year, he's just getting picked this year instead of missing half the games for no reason. It's revisionist horseshit to argue that he was a significantly poorer player last year in terms of effort or performance. He has had some natural development because he's older and has another 15 games under his belt.

The difference is this year, Hinkley has stayed the course with a tall forward setup and allowed his team to grow in the structure. Its personal growth as a coach, which is a credit to him. Imagine, if you will, a coach who didn't take 7 years to learn a lesson about structure.

Ilias M

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2015
Port Adelaide, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
20200917_221254.jpg

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Prior to this season, we've not played good enough, plain and simple. Our failures haven't been a case of unlucky close umpiring calls.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's not waste another year and actually win some finals games and you will get what you deserve. Not many showing the coach any love for a reason Kane, we have not won a final for 5 seasons, the media are expecting Port to capitulalte. People are not game to give any love until the runs are on the board, which is a fair call.
Ken has put his team in a great position this year, no one is denying that but this can go a few ways, win a final, win a flag, play in a losing GF (someone has to loose) or bomb out without winning a final. Ken will be judged then.
Carn Port give it your best shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back