Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on the flip side, it's possible he gives them a lot of control and let's them do their thing. He may focus more on player management, and perhaps provide high level input into strategies etc.

Yes, it is his responsibility at the end of the day, but this is why I'm very much against just picking the next guy in line without actually knowing how these things work at our club.

Truth is, none of us have any idea who does what exactly, so it's hard to speculate who the problem is. We've all long said the forward game plan is an issue. If Ken sacks Bassett, that might be all that's required to fix the forward plan.

Ken, like everyone, has strengths and weakness. His strengths appear to be man management and the players play for him and love him. He's been spoken about as a father figure, and he represents our club well.

His weaknesses appear to be tactical/strategic, and by surrounding him with assistants that are strong in those facets we can still succeed.

This is why we've seen a significant uplift in performances over the past few years - we've now got some excellent assistants. We also had a decent start with Richardson as an assistant, and fell away when he left.

Sacking the coach is rarely a magic bullet, and often the strengths of the new coach will help some parts, the weaknesses may open up new issues. It's important to remember that the coaches are a team, and they succeed together and fail together - just like the players.

There's no doubt that changes need to be made, but I believe replacing specific line coaches will be the magic ticket.
Not sure how you can say that.
We have had the following assistants under Hinkley and are getting the same results over and over and over - Richardson, Rehn, Lade, Nicks, Walsh, Hocking, Hart, Voss, Greaves, Lokan, Cornes, Schofield, Montgomery, Bassett, Morris, Brogan, Carr, Goldsack. I'm positive there's a heap more. It's Hinkley.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Ken gives them that much control. Even if he theoretically was just the motivator, he can’t even do that right because we’re always getting blown out because of how sluggish and disinterested the team is. I’ll go back to my original question of “what does he actually do”? He can’t coach strategically and clearly can’t motivate the team.
What are you basing your comment of seriously doubt he gives them that much control.

The team was sluggish yesterday, and has been on occasion in the past, but in general, most weeks they show up to play. You don't finish first and second without showing up more often than not.

One would even argue that it was a prelim, no motivation was necessary. It could even be nutritional, who knows? Nobody outside the club is in a position to speculate accurately.

Not sure how you can say that.
We have had the following assistants under Hinkley and are getting the same results over and over and over - Richardson, Rehn, Lade, Nicks, Walsh, Hocking, Hart, Voss, Greaves, Lokan, Cornes, Schofield, Montgomery, Bassett, Morris, Brogan, Carr. I'm positive there's a heap more. It's Hinkley.

We looked a million dollars with Walsh and Richardson.

We then fell away badly when they left.

We're now building again. Anyone who thinks the assistants don't play a massive part in a teams success /failure is kidding themselves. They're just as important as the head coach.

I seriously doubt Ken gives them that much control. Even if he theoretically was just the motivator, he can’t even do that right because we’re always getting blown out because of how sluggish and disinterested the team is. I’ll go back to my original question of “what does he actually do”? He can’t coach strategically and clearly can’t motivate the team.

He definitely has last say.

We're now building again. Anyone who thinks the assistants don't play a massive part in a teams success /failure is kidding themselves. They're just as important as the head coach.

There's one common denominator who you're trying desperately not to blame.

Obviously Bassett and Voss should go as well. But the responsibility is ultimately Hinkley's and if you get your way and he keeps his job, he'll break the VFL/AFL record for the most games coached at 1 club without a grand final half way through next season. Historically mediocre. Time to go.

We are talking about the exact same things year after year and that includes "the looking like million dollars" years.

There's one common denominator who you're trying desperately not to blame.

Obviously Bassett and Voss should go as well. But the responsibility is ultimately Hinkley's and if you get your way and he keeps his job, he'll break the VFL/AFL record for the most games coached at 1 club without a grand final half way through next season. Historically mediocre. Time to go.
I've already said that if I had my way, he would have been sacked years ago when we were struggling. I now think we're very close, and sacking the coach will set our timeline back.

Isolating his performance over the past two years alone, it's been good. Prelims are not easy to get to.

I'm firmly of the belief the previous years are irrelevant given the improvement in the last 2 seasons. Finishing first and second, and 2x prelims.

Half way through next season Hinkley will 'earn' the honour of being the most unsuccesful coach at any one club; most games coached at one club without making a Grand Final. This fact needs to be spread far & wide NOW. Put the heat on him, and we know he can't handle the heat. Hopefully he'll sulk off to the Gold Coast, or anywhere.
It's all we can do; AFL controlled board, Koch in love with Ken, there's no way he's being sacked.

What are you basing your comment of seriously doubt he gives them that much control.

The team was sluggish yesterday, and has been on occasion in the past, but in general, most weeks they show up to play. You don't finish first and second without showing up more often than not.

One would even argue that it was a prelim, no motivation was necessary. It could even be nutritional, who knows? Nobody outside the club is in a position to speculate accurately.
Guess it’s just basic common sense. Why would the HEAD COACH have such little say in how the team is actually structured and run? Why would we even have Ken as head coach if he does nothing?

the team is sluggish and unprepared on a monthly basis it’s not some rare occurrence. it’s a joke how often and predictable it is.

People can speculate all they want. It’s been 9 years of this spud. If the players are that flat over a prelim then the players have gave up on Ken.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess it’s just basic common sense. Why would the HEAD COACH have such little say in how the team is actually structured and run? Why would we even have Ken as head coach if he does nothing?

the team is sluggish and unprepared on a monthly basis it’s not some rare occupancy. it’s a joke how often and predictable it is.

People can speculate all they want. It’s been 9 years of this spud.
I didn't say he didn't have a say, but part of any manager type role is delegation. How much he delegates is anyone's guess

I couldn't bring myself to watch hinkley's post match love-in (press conference) with Rucci, but for those who did stomach the whole thing can you tell me if Rucci asked him this question....

"Ken, you've been saying through the season, when people have questioned you and your teams credentials having not beaten top 4 teams, "Don't judge us on our pre-finals results, but rather judge us on what we do when we get to finals..."
Are you prepared to cop that criticism now?"

Ok, I didn't think the sycophant would ask that one...
Isn't Rucci on the Club's payroll these days? Any chance we could have a presser with independent journos?

I dont see the playing group falling away like some people think but Next year will be difficult for supporters more so than players and coaches like 2004, march - August will be mundane and not enjoyable as we will be full of anxiety knowing September could be a disaster again.
As for the playing group they will train hard preseason , they are in a team environment
and once games come around they will get back to normality and weekly contests. They are too talented a group not to finish high up again.
But with ken at the helm September disaster will be likely follow again. Unless he does a choco which I doubt we will be having these conversations again this time next year.

I dont see the playing group falling away like some people think but Next year will be difficult for supporters more so than players and coaches like 2004, march - August will be mundane and not enjoyable as we will be full of anxiety knowing September could be a disaster again.
As for the playing group they will train hard preseason , they are in a team environment
And once games come around they will get back to normality and weekly contests. They are too talented a group not to finish high up again.
But with ken at the helm September disaster will be likely follow again. Unless he does a choco which I doubt we will be having these conversations again this time next year.
They should easily make finals again, they are far to talented a list not to but reality is this group is coached by someone who has long proven being incapable of taking them to the next level and for what ever reason we have a board who are totally ignorant to this or simply don't care enough to do something about it.

They should easily make finals again, they are far to talented a list not to but reality is this group is coached by someone who has long proven being incapable of taking them to the next level and for what ever reason we have a board who are totally ignorant to this or simply don't care enough to do something about it.
Games like last night can mentally * a club., Irregardless of the talent you've got. We've seen it here before. They're no guarantee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back