Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Change name of thread sack hinkley + nerd talk..

Fat prick needs to get off his ass and finish GOT. (Hinkley or Martin I don't care)
I bet Hinkley has never read a single GoT book. But then I wouldn't be surprised if his reading didn't extend beyond the greyhound form guide.

What kind of club worth it's salt gives its coach a 3 year contract guarantee, with a trigger for a fourth year if we make finals once.

To then not only fulfil the fourth year, but add a second contract before that current one ended, and the bar is so low it's now touching the ground.
Underground.

After quickly checking the AFL tables it was revealed to me that Ken Hinkley currently ranks 43rd for most games coached in the AFL. If he is to see out a full 22 game season this year, he will move up to 36th, and surpass both Nathan Buckley and Neale Daniher, both who actually made a Grand Final, from likely the same amount of Prelims (Don't quote me on that)

The only other coaches with more experience than Kenny who never made a grand final include both Bill Stephen and Terry Wallace, noting of course Ken's win loss record is higher than both coaches. As of right now Brad Scott is also ahead of him but that will likely change very soon as he is only half a season off of surpassing him too.

In spite of the justified backlash for the absurd '10 year plan' which has failed to bring us any silverware, with the only noteworthy things out of these years including a Minor premiership, Brownlow and multiple AA jackets, looking back I'm somewhat glad we didn't sack him at the end of 2019. The frustrating years around the mid table seemed to help motivate the next two years of shooting up the ladder, and giving Ken the kick in the head required to win close games and avoid losing in consecutive weeks.

But three strikeouts in three prelims has shown where his ceiling is, and I don't think the team in 2022 is much different or better than the last two years to break that ceiling. What we're seeing now is a Grant Thomas situation of a coach creating a solid foundation for a game plan but failing to close the gap on the finishing touches. The material for a great team is still present on our list as it was for the Saints in the late 2000s, but a change in coach is the only thing which finally helped them to make their first GF since 97, and its our time to consider a similar solution.

The assistant coaching pool is much better now than it was in 2019, with Clarkson and Buckley both on the table, with the possibility of Adam Simpson coming into the question (As farfetched as that hypothesis would be) and another season of falling short in the finals or even worse missing out entirely will bring the internal pressure back in full swing and force the club to crack down.

With that said, there are still around 7 players on the list over the age of 29 and entering the twilight of their careers, meaning another failed season could lead to a massive departure of leadership, and even with a new coach it would still inflict a lot of internal damage. The youth is still there of course, but is it still to soon to force them into the leadership seat? Either way I'll be shocked if Wines isn't the captain for the next few years to oversee it.

All things considered, I don't hate Hinkley, I don't think he's some wacko mad movie villain trying to sabotage the club deliberately from the inside or some s**t, and in complete fairness it's not his fault he's been given an absurd amount of contract extensions at the hand of the absolute * head who calls himself David Koch, like most coaches he gave his all, managed to get close but not close enough, his ceiling is plain to the eye and I don't believe we can close the gap under him. We don't exist for admirable efforts, we exist to go all the way.

After quickly checking the AFL tables it was revealed to me that Ken Hinkley currently ranks 43rd for most games coached in the AFL. If he is to see out a full 22 game season this year, he will move up to 36th, and surpass both Nathan Buckley and Neale Daniher, both who actually made a Grand Final, from likely the same amount of Prelims (Don't quote me on that)

The only other coaches with more experience than Kenny who never made a grand final include both Bill Stephen and Terry Wallace, noting of course Ken's win loss record is higher than both coaches. As of right now Brad Scott is also ahead of him but that will likely change very soon as he is only half a season off of surpassing him too.

In spite of the justified backlash for the absurd '10 year plan' which has failed to bring us any silverware, with the only noteworthy things out of these years including a Minor premiership, Brownlow and multiple AA jackets, looking back I'm somewhat glad we didn't sack him at the end of 2019. The frustrating years around the mid table seemed to help motivate the next two years of shooting up the ladder, and giving Ken the kick in the head required to win close games and avoid losing in consecutive weeks.

But three strikeouts in three prelims has shown where his ceiling is, and I don't think the team in 2022 is much different or better than the last two years to break that ceiling. What we're seeing now is a Grant Thomas situation of a coach creating a solid foundation for a game plan but failing to close the gap on the finishing touches. The material for a great team is still present on our list as it was for the Saints in the late 2000s, but a change in coach is the only thing which finally helped them to make their first GF since 97, and its our time to consider a similar solution.

The assistant coaching pool is much better now than it was in 2019, with Clarkson and Buckley both on the table, with the possibility of Adam Simpson coming into the question (As farfetched as that hypothesis would be) and another season of falling short in the finals or even worse missing out entirely will bring the internal pressure back in full swing and force the club to crack down.

With that said, there are still around 7 players on the list over the age of 29 and entering the twilight of their careers, meaning another failed season could lead to a massive departure of leadership, and even with a new coach it would still inflict a lot of internal damage. The youth is still there of course, but is it still to soon to force them into the leadership seat? Either way I'll be shocked if Wines isn't the captain for the next few years to oversee it.

All things considered, I don't hate Hinkley, I don't think he's some wacko mad movie villain trying to sabotage the club deliberately from the inside or some sh*t, and in complete fairness it's not his fault he's been given an absurd amount of contract extensions at the hand of the absolute fu** head who calls himself David Koch, like most coaches he gave his all, managed to get close but not close enough, his ceiling is plain to the eye and I don't believe we can close the gap under him. We don't exist for admirable efforts, we exist to go all the way.

This is like a post I would have made a few years ago. Balanced. I've progressed past balanced now, and it's just 100% sack him and all other factors don't matter anymore. He's gotta go and there are so many evidenced reasons as to why.

I think.we should go after Nathan Buckley if this season does not work out.

It's honestly absurd that Bucks is fooling around on I'm A Celeb whilst we pay this absolute dumbass $750k-$1m a year to 'coach' us.

Worst part is with the farce that this season will end up being because of covid, he might well just get given a pass no matter what happens.

New year, renew hinkley.

images

Then sack him.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back