• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've already said that if I had my way, he would have been sacked years ago when we were struggling. I now think we're very close, and sacking the coach will set our timeline back.

Isolating his performance over the past two years alone, it's been good. Prelims are not easy to get to.

I'm firmly of the belief the previous years are irrelevant given the improvement in the last 2 seasons. Finishing first and second, and 2x prelims.

* me.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are you basing your comment of seriously doubt he gives them that much control.

The team was sluggish yesterday, and has been on occasion in the past, but in general, most weeks they show up to play. You don't finish first and second without showing up more often than not.

One would even argue that it was a prelim, no motivation was necessary. It could even be nutritional, who knows? Nobody outside the club is in a position to speculate accurately.

Gees .. we've had umpteen assistants, umpteen player changes, leadership changes and we still buckle in the big games. In 9 years we still haven't won two big blockbuster games in a row, be it consecutive weeks or consecutive big games with other lesser opponents in and between. We haven't in most years played a good brand of football. We beat a top four side in Round 23 and then somehow we had to beat three top four teams in a row to take the flag. We flopped bigger than ever, prelim final on a platter. We are so faux.

Since Ken Hinkley has coached us from 2013 , the following clubs have made a grand final

Swans x3
Dockers
Crows
Tigers x3
Hawks x4
Eagles x2
Pies
Giants
Cats

Andddd he's going to be here next year again , no issues...Lol could we be anymore mediocre.

Dogs x 2
Dees

11/18 (Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Port)

WhEn He ArRiVeD

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Since Ken Hinkley has coached us from 2013 , the following clubs have made a grand final

Swans x3
Dockers
Crows
Tigers x3
Hawks x4
Eagles x2
Pies
Giants
Cats

Andddd he's going to be here next year again , no issues...Lol could we be anymore mediocre.
Don't forget the Dogs (now X2)
and Melbourne.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Morning training session they were training with soccer balls says one of the few things of how complacently prepared we were imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst I don't think there's a problem with having a light hearted training session every now and then, I remember a coaching clinic I did with cricket spin coach Terry Jenner. We were around 4 days into the week's worth of coaching, and I vividly remember one of the lads (during a drinks break) running in and bowling a fast paced delivery at the stumps. TJ blew a gasket. He couldn't care less about the delivery itself, but he berated the guy because it essentially made the neurological muscle memory, the psychology behind spin bowling that he had been training us a waste of time for this young man.

Sometimes mixing it up and incorporating other ball sports or changing the variation of training etc is appropriate - but there is a time and a place, and I'm not convinced that either were correct in terms of our preparation going into yesterday's game.

Schofield is off to the Eagles, port apparently won't stand in his way

Don't think this is a bad thing. Our midfield has a one wood and that's it. They rely on winning the contested ball and if they don't, everything goes to s**t. And they've consistently shown over the last 2 years that against the best teams in the comp, their ability to win the contested ball is near non-existent.

bow and arrow

Team Captain
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are you basing your comment of seriously doubt he gives them that much control.

The team was sluggish yesterday, and has been on occasion in the past, but in general, most weeks they show up to play. You don't finish first and second without showing up more often than not.

One would even argue that it was a prelim, no motivation was necessary. It could even be nutritional, who knows? Nobody outside the club is in a position to speculate accurately.
So it's okay if our players turn up to play most of the time is it? Well that's just great and makes me feel so much better!

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its almost as if the last thing he said to the players after the National Anthem was "make sure you don't get injured for the grand final".

If the club does nothing then we are just fluffers for the AFL.

I had that thought also.

Ken: “Don’t get injured, don’t get reported, don’t give away free kicks”

Bevo: “Do whatever you have to”

Pretty accurate portrayal of the game last night.

My level of interest at time this year was negligible at times, next year, basically non existant . Now cant even get excited about trade and draft period because at the end of the day it does not matter who plays here while this coach is still here.

Tredders is on board. He just liked my tweet in reply to people arguing we.couldnt afford to pay out Hinkley 2 years worth of contract l, saying that a coach only has to be paid out 6 months, not the full contract.

Make it happen Wazza.

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Yep its not us, and thank fu** its not geelong.

I'll probably form an opinion on who I want to win in the next fortnight, but really this will just go down in history as one of Port's greatest ever missed opportunities, if not the greatest ever.

I thought that was last year?

Anyone see a pattern here?

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So on the flip side, it's possible he gives them a lot of control and let's them do their thing. He may focus more on player management, and perhaps provide high level input into strategies etc.

Yes, it is his responsibility at the end of the day, but this is why I'm very much against just picking the next guy in line without actually knowing how these things work at our club.

Truth is, none of us have any idea who does what exactly, so it's hard to speculate who the problem is. We've all long said the forward game plan is an issue. If Ken sacks Bassett, that might be all that's required to fix the forward plan.

Ken, like everyone, has strengths and weakness. His strengths appear to be man management and the players play for him and love him. He's been spoken about as a father figure, and he represents our club well.

His weaknesses appear to be tactical/strategic, and by surrounding him with assistants that are strong in those facets we can still succeed.

This is why we've seen a significant uplift in performances over the past few years - we've now got some excellent assistants. We also had a decent start with Richardson as an assistant, and fell away when he left.

Sacking the coach is rarely a magic bullet, and often the strengths of the new coach will help some parts, the weaknesses may open up new issues. It's important to remember that the coaches are a team, and they succeed together and fail together - just like the players.

There's no doubt that changes need to be made, but I believe replacing specific line coaches will be the magic ticket.

Did the players play for him last night ? Just asking for a friend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We looked a million dollars with Walsh and Richardson.

We then fell away badly when they left.

We're now building again. Anyone who thinks the assistants don't play a massive part in a teams success /failure is kidding themselves. They're just as important as the head coach.

So Ken has little impact?

Get rid of him then.

I honestly think we should move Hinkley into a man management role have him around the club and players and bring in a tactical coach. Hinkley can do the player management which they seem to love him for but someone else can take charge of game-day tactics.
I agree. We should have Ken man-manage himself out the door. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nowt will improve until he does.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm obviously no fan of kern and his insipid finals record, but I will cut him slack with this, ie he didn't appoint himself, or give himself those un earnt and un-necessary contract extensions.

Those c*ck ups can be laid squarely at the feet of David Koch!
He is the elephant in the room and the obvious impediment to the club rising above last night's debacle, and we will continue to wallow in mediocrity while he is involved.

Jun 4, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
images (1).png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back