Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting times ahead for Hinkley. The club are perennial chockers under expectations. I wonder how Hinkley will respond when expectations and pressure next season will be off the scale. Will he fold like the players on Saturday night or will he stand resolute and deliver a flag. I'm leading towards the idea he will push the players too far beyond their comfort zones and lose the playing group next season.

On saturday night they played like a team Hinkley has already lost.

In all seriousness, walking away from coaching now would probably be the best move Ken could make for the sake of himself and his family. He seems a pretty simple sort of guy and i don't think the stress levels he's going to encounter over the next 12-24 months will be good for his mental well being and he and his family's happiness. Some people just aren't cut out for this sort of cut throat business and the massive amounts of stress and anguish that come with it.

Honestly, he's set himself and his family up financially, the best thing he could do would be to just go and enjoy life away from the spotlight.
Concur. PREDAT0R

In all seriousness, walking away from coaching now would probably be the best move Ken could make for the sake of himself and his family. He seems a pretty simple sort of guy and i don't think the stress levels he's going to encounter over the next 12-24 months will be good for his mental well being and he and his family's happiness. Some people just aren't cut out for this sort of cut throat business and the massive amounts of stress and anguish that come with it.

Honestly, he's set himself and his family up financially, the best thing he could do would be to just go and enjoy life away from the spotlight.
Not only that but would get the "Poor Kenny" narrative: chased out of town after single-handedly saving the club.

schofield and hinkley in a heated argument on saturday night. some saying push and shove but unlikely. makes sense for the heat to be on schofield as midfield coach, scooter was smashing them in the ruck yet we weren't getting the clearances. more importantly players celebrated after the friday night cats win, until monday. long time to the game but still not ideal preparation is it?
9 posts , I call bullshit.

* off.

schofield and hinkley in a heated argument on saturday night. some saying push and shove but unlikely. makes sense for the heat to be on schofield as midfield coach, scooter was smashing them in the ruck yet we weren't getting the clearances. more importantly players celebrated after the friday night cats win, until monday. long time to the game but still not ideal preparation is it?
Not that I am saying I have intel I don’t, but I have heard this rumour from 3 different people. Each time I tell the people I don’t believe them because it just seems so outrageous.

I think it's becoming clear that something happened before the game that put a significant number of players in a negative mindset.
Kane Cornes interviewed Hamish Hartlett on radio this morning, pretty good i/view too. They talked about Saturday night’s game. Hamish was watching with a group of the boys at the ground and said that someone who had been in the rooms before the game reckoned that the atmosphere in the rooms was great, that the boys were really well prepared and up for the fight, the room was buzzing.

Just inexplicable what happened next.

My e-mail to Richo:

Dear Mr. Richardson,

I have been a Port Adelaide supporter since 2001 (I was 9 years old). In the last 20 years I have been a member for over 15 of them including every year since 2013. I lived in Melbourne from 2013 until 2019 but it didn’t stop me buying a full 11 game membership for my family of 3, and I personally would travel from Melbourne to Adelaide for at least 80% of our home games during that period.

I was also there on Saturday night witnessing the debacle at Adelaide Oval.

Our president this morning on FiveAA suggested that Saturday night’s game was an aberration. Was it really? Since 2017 when has this team actually produced consistently high performances against a top 4 opponent? In that time we are 3 wins and 19 losses against top 4 teams - 3rd worst record in the league. Until this team can consistently produce high level performances against the top teams in the competition, the thought of winning a premiership is laughable.

Our senior coach has consistently said all season that we should not be judged on what we do in June or July, but we should be judged by what we do in finals. He said at the start of the year that we were “ready” to go all the way this year. You yourself set out an ambitious goal at the start of your tenure - 3 flags in the next 5 seasons. I applauded it at the time and I still do. It is the type of lofty goals that should be set for a club that solely exists to win premierships. Yet with one season down that goal is now 3 flags in the next 4 seasons. An ambitious goal, yes. Realistic - possibly. But this morning our president said on the radio that we’re a young team and we are still building. The mixed messaging after the fact in an attempt to pacify the supporters is quite frankly a disgrace.

In the last 9 years we have seen our footy department become fully funded. We have turned over the assistant coaching roster - and on many occasions our senior coach has labelled our coaching assistants as the best in the league. We have acquired many players who were supposedly the “missing piece” of the puzzle - Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff, Motlop, Watts, Lycett etc. We’ve also done multiple rebuilds during this time - first at the start of 2013 and again at the end of 2018. As it stands right now, it can be argued that our playing list is as good as any in the league. This might be a team who can still improve through its young development, but the club touted them as a team ready to win this season, which they haven’t, and now the president is seeking damage control without even apologising to the supporter base. The only stone this club hasn’t turned over during this period in an attempt to improve the team is change the senior coach.

If our senior coach stays in charge for 2022, half way through the year he will hold the record for most games coached by an individual at one club without making the grand final. For a club that supposedly exists to win premierships, having that record associated with us is an embarrassment. Nothing about that embodies what the club is about - nor does it make out community proud.

There are some extremely accomplished young coaches available - and some experienced heads, including the most successful coach in the history of the modern game (Alistair Clarkson).

Having been asked to be judged on finals, it is fair to say that the team has not only gone backwards compared to last year’s performance, but they produced a performance on Saturday night that wasn’t too dissimilar to the rubbish we saw when the club was on its knees in the early 2010s at Footy Park.

From 1999 through 2001 inclusive, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were considered an elite team that should have gone to the Super Bowl. They made the playoffs three straight years but were underwhelming in the playoffs. At the end of the 2001 season having done everything they could otherwise to win, they realised they needed a change. They dismissed their head coach and traded for the best young coach in the league at the time, Jon Gruden. In Gruden’s first season as the Buccaneers’ head coach they won the Super Bowl.

Fortune favours the brave - and it is time our club be brave and make some hard decisions - not for the betterment of the people involved, but for the betterment of the club.

I look forward to hearing from you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is responding to a choc full inbox of emotional supporters really how we want our CEO to be spending his time?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For what has just occurred, yes. Damn oath.
If he sells the dream, he explains the nightmare.

Its more the overwhelming sentiment. He can't ignore this.
I guess. But everyone is hurting from this loss, there are 60k members, it *ing sucks and we all feel like s**t about the loss but I don’t feel like I’m anywhere near important enough to be emailing the CEO about my feelings. I find it ridiculous.

We aren’t a little country/suburban club, not only would the ceo not have time to respond to each supporter individually I’m also not convinced it will help.

My e-mail to Richo:

Dear Mr. Richardson,

I have been a Port Adelaide supporter since 2001 (I was 9 years old). In the last 20 years I have been a member for over 15 of them including every year since 2013. I lived in Melbourne from 2013 until 2019 but it didn’t stop me buying a full 11 game membership for my family of 3, and I personally would travel from Melbourne to Adelaide for at least 80% of our home games during that period.

Our president this morning on FiveAA suggested that Saturday night’s game was an aberration. Was it really? Since 2017 when has this team actually produced consistently high performances against a top 4 opponent? In that time we are 3 wins and 19 losses against top 4 teams - 3rd worst record in the league. Until this team can consistently produce high level performances against the top teams in the competition, the thought of winning a premiership is laughable.

Our senior coach has consistently said all season that we should not be judged on what we do in June or July, but we should be judged by what we do in finals. He said at the start of the year that we were “ready” to go all the way this year. You yourself set out an ambitious goal at the start of your tenure - 3 flags in the next 5 seasons. I applauded it at the time and I still do. It is the type of lofty goals that should be set for a club that solely exists to win premierships. Yet with one season down that goal is now 3 flags in the next 4 seasons. An ambitious goal, yes. Realistic - possibly. But this morning our president said on the radio that we’re a young team and we are still building. The mixed messaging after the fact in an attempt to pacify the supporters is quite frankly a disgrace.

In the last 9 years we have seen our footy department become fully funded. We have turned over the assistant coaching roster - and on many occasions our senior coach has labelled our coaching assistants as the best in the league. We have acquired many players who were supposedly the “missing piece” of the puzzle - Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff, Motlop, Watts, Lycett etc. We’ve also done multiple rebuilds during this time - first at the start of 2013 and again at the end of 2018. As it stands right now, it can be argued that our playing list is as good as any in the league. This might be a team who can still improve through its young development, but the club touted them as a team ready to win this season, which they haven’t, and now the president is seeking damage control without even apologising to the supporter base. The only stone this club hasn’t turned over during this period in an attempt to improve the team is change the senior coach.

If our senior coach stays in charge for 2022, half way through the year he will hold the record for most games coached by an individual at one club without making the grand final. For a club that supposedly exists to win premierships, having that record associated with us is an embarrassment. Nothing about that embodies what the club is about - nor does it make out community proud.

There are some extremely accomplished young coaches available - and some experienced heads, including the most successful coach in the history of the modern game (Alistair Clarkson).

Having been asked to be judged on finals, it is fair to say that the team has not only gone backwards compared to last year’s performance, but they produced a performance on Saturday night that wasn’t too dissimilar to the rubbish we saw when the club was on its knees in the early 2010s at Footy Park.

From 1999 through 2001 inclusive, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were considered an elite team that should have gone to the Super Bowl. They made the playoffs three straight years but were underwhelming in the playoffs. At the end of the 2001 season having done everything they could otherwise to win, they realised they needed a change. They dismissed their head coach and traded for the best young coach in the league at the time, Jon Gruden. In Gruden’s first season as the Buccaneers’ head coach they won the Super Bowl.

Fortune favours the brave - and it is time our club be brave and make some hard decisions - not for the betterment of the people involved, but for the betterment of the club.

Brilliant.

Is responding to a choc full inbox of emotional supporters really how we want our CEO to be spending his time?

Wot?

You say ‘our CEO’ and yet you are afraid of him being occupied with emails from us.

I am as much amazed by the frightened attitude of supposed supporters as you as I am by the brilliance of messages from supporters such as Chewy316

Grow balls. Maybe they will get you somewhere.

My e-mail to Richo:

Dear Mr. Richardson,

Beautifully crafted. I hope he reads it.

Why does ken always remind me of bob Moran, he sells you 1 lemon then gives you another one for free and he's the good guy for doing it.

My e-mail to Richo:

Dear Mr. Richardson,

Great letter Chewy. Lots of solid points delivered well. Bravo.

Mr burns yes.gif

It's more the complete radio silence from the club. They cant be allowed to get away with sweeping this loss under the rug and pretending it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back