Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing that struck me most about our Prelim disaster and the Dees drought-breaker is the narrative around each

Port (Iraqi defence minister) "Now is not the time, its too raw, one bad night judge us on the year not at the end of it, its only 10% oh and STFU Tredders"
Ollie Wines with his fresh minted Brownlow: "We want to get KEN (emphasis added) the premiership he deserves"

Melbourne: "To everyone back east this is for you WE DID IT"
Christian Petrecca (after winning the McClelland with tears in his eyes) "this is for everyone who was ever embarrassed to wear the colours out" he then rinsed and repeated after winning the whole thing

Make no mistake peeps we are living in a Pyongyang style cult of Ken situation here where Kenneth has surrounded himself with "His players and/or his people (which is getting literal considering his son works for the club now) and everything has been about defending Hinkley from the evil 10% under the bed who arent grateful enough for him gracing our shitpile for almost a mill a year for a decade

Even if (and I laugh out loud even typing it) we won in 2022 you can imagine the narrative now?

"We always believed in Ken"
"Where are the Hinkley haters now?!?!11?!"
"Ken copes way more than he should" (oops thats already actually been said by one of our greatest ever)

The dude is a perpetual victim if you didn't know any better it was him who had Dani Laidley on skype, orange halves at half time and Nathan Blee

Its disgusting and what's worse he's spreading this group think to others in the club with an effectiveness and resilience that makes mad cow disease look fragile...

I mean, I view it as reimbursement — but we don’t get Burgess, Hinkley or Richardson without the $3,000,000pa injection provided by the AFL/SANFL from 2011-2013.

I get that but we’ve had to transition our club into a different competition, with all the associated head farks, an intermediary license holder that was unabashedly antagonistic towards us, getting routed by s**t stadium deals, and a crosstown rival owned and operated for the majority of our AFL journey by the same people doing the antagonising and routing. We’ve also had to pay twice for the privilege to play in the comp.

Melbourne are based at the epicentre, with historical cachet that beats most clubs in the comp, a supporter base that is renowned for its fiscal advantages, a cohesive identity that even pulls in Norwood supporters from SA, and favourable fixturing that gifts them home games against the biggest draw cards who happen to be in the same city.

How on earth did they get into a position that they needed the governing body to give them a leg up of all leg ups? This is after they were done for ‘tanking’*

I don’t even hold any ill will towards Melbourne for it, it’s just a blatant example of the AFL taking extra special care of clubs with a 3000 postcode.

*One of the most hilarious examples of the inequality of the comp was when Adelaide were punished for Melbourne’s tanking because Bailey had shifted clubs before the governing body made a ruling.

Last edited:
Thing that struck me most about our Prelim disaster and the Dees drought-breaker is the narrative around each

Port (Iraqi defence minister) "Now is not the time, its too raw, one bad night judge us on the year not at the end of it, its only 10% oh and STFU Tredders"
Ollie Wines with his fresh minted Brownlow: "We want to get KEN (emphasis added) the premiership he deserves"

Melbourne: "To everyone back east this is for you WE DID IT"
Christian Petrecca (after winning the McClelland with tears in his eyes) "this is for everyone who was ever embarrassed to wear the colours out" he then rinsed and repeated after winning the whole thing

Make no mistake peeps we are living in a Pyongyang style cult of Ken situation here where Kenneth has surrounded himself with "His players and/or his people (which is getting literal considering his son works for the club now) and everything has been about defending Hinkley from the evil 10% under the bed who arent grateful enough for him gracing our shitpile for almost a mill a year for a decade

Even if (and I laugh out loud even typing it) we won in 2022 you can imagine the narrative now?

"We always believed in Ken"
"Where are the Hinkley haters now?!?!11?!"
"Ken copes way more than he should" (oops thats already actually been said by one of our greatest ever)

The dude is a perpetual victim if you didn't know any better it was him who had Dani Laidley on skype, orange halves at half time and Nathan Blee

Its disgusting and what's worse he's spreading this group think to others in the club with an effectiveness and resilience that makes mad cow disease look fragile...
I have already said it, and I will repeat it: the odds are great that we will struggle after Hinkley precisely because of this. Worst, happy-clappers will blame US because of it.

We will probably need a full rebuild.

I have already said it, and I will repeat it: the odds are great that we will struggle after Hinkley precisely because of this. Worst, happy-clappers will blame US because of it.

We will probably need a full rebuild.
I look forward to the struggle.

Struggles are great … provided you have faith in those leading the strategy.

Right people suddenly in right places, and the struggle could be over in one season.

At the moment we have w&nkers in wrong places, too many of them, from chairman all the way down to and including senior coach.

It will feel like paradise when they are all gone.

Right people suddenly in right places, and the struggle could be over in one season.

At the moment we have w&nkers in wrong places, too many of them, from chairman all the way down to and including senior coach.

Can’t help but feel the rot is creeping in.

I agree it’s totally necessary. I’m just warning those who may think that we would move straight up after Hinkley. We may, but it would be improbable.

For things to get better, we will need to risk getting worse first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t help but feel the rot is creeping in.
Yes. And the more we hide it, the bigger it gets.

We are so afraid of losing, of taking risks, that we will ended up having precisely we are trying to avoid.

I agree it’s totally necessary. I’m just warning those who may think that we would move straight up after Hinkley. We may, but it would be improbable.

For things to get better, we will need to risk getting worse first.
No risk.

Things can only get better.

What could be worse than Hinkley on TV during and right after the prelim final?

What could be worse than Koch on 5AA breakfast the next Monday?

What could be worse than Hinkley forced to open his mouth on 5AA the next Friday?

It was all … an abomination.

I have people in Hong Kong ask me: “Is Hinkley really your senior coach?”

And I have to say: “No. He’s our nemesis. And he’s no orphan.”

*One of the most hilarious examples of the inequality of the comp was when Adelaide were punished for Melbourne’s tanking because Bailey had shifted clubs before the governing body made a ruling.
Don't forget Essendon being given the opportunity to replace their suspended players with top-ups but Port not being given that opportunity, even though a) Essendon were the ones that cheated and b) we didn't even know about Essendon's cheating until after we'd already given them a draft pick for Monfries.

What could be worse than Hinkley on TV during and right after the prelim final?

What could be worse than Koch on 5AA breakfast the next Monday?

What could be worse than Hinkley forced to open his mouth on 5AA the next Friday?

It was all … an abomination.
I never doubt the human capacity of getting worse. It’s as endless as the capacity for improvement.

But let’s not get into too many variables. We could simply go on-field worse than a 10-win 10th place, which is Hinkley’s known floor. Happy-clappers will demand us to be “impatient as we were with Hinkley”.

If we come with promises of immediate improvement, we will let ourselves vulnerable for this kind of BS. It’s BS, but it happens. We need to be ready for it.

And it won’t be as if we have taken control of the club; which makes our position even more fragile. We would simply be backing a not-Koch/not-Hinkley someone, hoping that he may be politically savvy enough to beat the AFL in their own game — both on and off the field.

I never doubt the human capacity of getting worse. It’s as endless as the capacity for improvement.

But let’s not get into too many variables. We could simply go on-field worse than a 10-win 10th place, which is Hinkley’s known floor. Happy-clappers will demand us to be “impatient as we were with Hinkley”.

If we come with promises of immediate improvement, we will let ourselves vulnerable for this kind of BS. It’s BS, but it happens. We need to be ready for it.

And it won’t be as if we have taken control of the club; which makes our position even more fragile. We would simply be backing a not-Koch/not-Hinkley someone, hoping that he may be politically savvy enough to beat the AFL in their own game — both on and off the field.
Indeed, Grem.

But ridding ourselves of Hinkley and Koch, not to forget Cardone, would be akin to a busload of lawyers going over a cliff.

A bloody good start.

The grandest irony of this 2012 business is that most of us were far more optimistic at the end of 2012 than we are now.

I highly doubt that. Not sure why so many have liked this.

I certainly wasn’t.

I’m not a happy clapper or Hinkley lover by any stretch of the imagination but I can acknowledge that we’ve been incredibly close the last two years and I think we will challenge again.

End of 2012, I was just happy to see us survive.

Do I think Hinkley is the right man to lead us into 2022? Probably not but I still think we can challenge.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

End of 2012, I was just happy to see us survive.
The issue is that some people hasn't switched out of this frame-of-mind. And our current board doesn't want anyone to do so.

Give me a struggle over a surrender any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back