Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No chance Hinkley gets sacked this year unless we completely bomb the rest of the year like we did last year. It’s frustrating because really he should be getting moved on this year.

Next year is the do or die year imo

We won't play finals this year. With this list of players, thats a bomb IMO.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
I remember Phil Walsh himself saying it in an interview. I think it was after he was appointed Crows coach. Iirc he said something like "he sees the game better than anyone I know. He'll be fine"
So Hinkley has very good eyesight. No sponsorship from Specsavers then?

As I've posted previously, I doubt Hinkley understands what he sees.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we make the finals Hinkley will have probably exceeded his KPIs. Koch would be keen to give him another contract extension.

The Koch ego, plus his up yours attitude to the rank and file members, would have him chomping on the bit to make his wet dream of kern being a 10 year coach at Alberton come to fruition.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember Phil Walsh himself saying it in an interview. I think it was after he was appointed Crows coach. Iirc he said something like "he sees the game better than anyone I know. He'll be fine"
That’s not inconsistent with being a poor head coach. The ability to see how the opposition is going to structure up and read the play in advance doesn’t automatically translate into knowing how to counter it, both in team selection or game day coaching.

At lower level it’s probably enough (hence Hinkleys bush league success), but not once you go several levels beyond ‘get ball, kick ball’.

It says Hinkley would make a good Senior Assistant, but that’s clearly his level.

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I've been off the Hinkley train for a while now, but some stuff I've heard recently makes it clear that sacking Hinkley isn't the number 1 priority right now. The football dept might be the most highly functioning part of the club - which is saying something.

The fish rots from the head. The pressure from members needs to be directed squarely at Koch, and at a pretty spineless KT. We need to take our club back before this egomaniac ruins us...

Last edited:

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Making finals is this club's holy grail. There's no way known Hinkley gets sacked if we play finals, no matter the result.

What an absolute load of garbage, but sadly I don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

Standards are far too low. Hopefully we do so well Carlton go super hard for Hinkley and the “rumour” that was posted on here (and I use that word lightly, being it was a screen shot of a nuffies twitter post) about him and the wife wanting back to Vic is true

Believe in miracles

Last edited:

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Winning one final this year was my pass mark at the start of the year but we definitely aren't sacking the coach if we get eliminated week 1.

I think we are definititely up against it just to achieve finals, i reckon this weekend could just about determine our fate.

The reality is Hinkley will just need to spin it that we are heading in the right direction and with all the players now coming back there is literally no excuse for our season to derail late like it did last year. It's very line ball at this stage, if our season goes pear shaped like last year at the end, it will be all she wrote for Kenny.

Pear1870

Section 301
Port Adelaide - Allir Allir Player Sponsor 2021 Port Adelaide - Kane Farrell Player Sponsor 2021 Port Adelaide - Connor Rozee Player Sponsor 2020
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Pear1870

Section 301
Port Adelaide - Allir Allir Player Sponsor 2021 Port Adelaide - Kane Farrell Player Sponsor 2021 Port Adelaide - Connor Rozee Player Sponsor 2020
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any of them stickers on sale..? You can flog them on ebay surely. give us a holler pls & no expensive postage

They are individual peal on sticker letters from Bunnings. Not expensive. about $2.30 each by memory.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've been off the Hinkley train for a while now, but some stuff I've heard recently makes it clear that sacking Hinkley isn't the number 1 priority right now. The football dept might be the most highly functioning part of the club - which is saying something.

The fish rots from the head. The pressure from members needs to be directed squarely at Koch, and at a pretty spineless KT. We need to take our club back before this egomaniac ruins us...

Which egomaniac, the bald w***er from Sydney or the coke zero drinking w***er sitting emotionless in the coaches box?

Phil Walsh would seriously have to have become the most over rated man in football. Not to speak ill of the dead but aside from being by Chocos side in 2004, I wouldn't call his coaching career glittering. People talk like he's some sort of coaching mastermind, where as his record doesn't quite state that.
Before 2000 when the game went professional coaches usually only had 1 assistant. Post 2000 its when assistant coaches who were able to be great strategists, but s**t at man management of guys, ok with individuals one on one but not so great with 40 guys, who were never going to get the main gig to come into their own. That was Walsh was and did. Whoever saw him interviewed in the 1999-08 period at Port knew he wasn't head coach material.

Walsh argued with Ted Hopkins when he was setting up Champion Data about the different categories of stats that should be collected. He convinced Hopkins to add a few more and Hopkins resisted other info Walsh wanted.

Its a bit like the great software guys at Apple or Microsoft. You keep them well fed, give them big challenges and look after them and let them do their stuff, but you don't want them to be the front men selling the products and motivating the sales team.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Which egomaniac, the bald ****** from Sydney or the coke zero drinking ****** sitting emotionless in the coaches box?
Emotionless?
20190423_192820.jpg

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I'm still waiting until we can finally play a match with a full strength list and pure dedication to the coaching systems without breaking it for some farfetched centre of the opposition.
Not once this year have we been able to see a full strength Port Adelaide, and despite that we still knocked off the reigning premiers at their own turf.
The potential is still well and truly alive, so that much isn't being asked, but when we get our full strength back Ken will no longer have a shield to hide behind.
We shall simply wait and see what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back