Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
See I’m one the people here who would be happy Bass.

To me he’s a bit left of centre, he seems to actually be pretty smart and can only do what he can currently. I’d be happy to see how things change under him having control.

Unlike Ken who seems to just wait for Lady Luck, you need to be able to get the players to execute a plan, and from what’s players say he does that.

Kens cooked, everybody knows that. He has a 50% win loss record just like Brad Scott and we are heading to the same amount of years.

Maybe his demise will bring some awareness to KT and Co to do something sooner.
Not convinced on him, but would much rather see him appointed caretaker than Voss in the event of Hinkley's demise for the reasons you say.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that presser after the tigers game...

"We've got a long way to go before we're anything like the Richmond Football Club".
Yeah, Ken's still go some work to do to lead us into the football wilderness for 30+ years but he's getting there.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gee he is a disappointing coach. His first couple of years I thought he was amazing, I just did not realize that that was all he has and will ever have.
His alleged autocratic influence over the football dept means our list is clogged with Motlop, Watts, Rockliff, Hartlett etc. His players have the worst execution skills in the league- there is an obvious gap in skill development in the coaching. This shows he is not a developer and by his own words he is good at relationships not skill development. How bad is our kicking for goal, he can’t even implement routines for the most basic skill in our game.
Worst is he is lazy, not strategic and is always on the defensive.
He reached his capacity as an assistant, and to be honest would be stretched to be good at that, now that the game keeps developing.
Every year now is a lost year.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think you possibly misunderstood the point of my post.

Yes, Membrey, Curnow and De Goey ALL play as key forwards despite being well under 193cm.
Speaking of DeGoey, he has apparently had a few interludes with that Jessica from MAFS. She has also been pursued by some other footballers and sports people. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Admit it...you just make **** up on the fly...
Do you remember that Roby dude who posted completely illogical power rankings on the main board a few years ago and would come out with the most convoluted, tortuous, retconned-after-the-fact-with-the-benefit-of-hindsight arguments to support his ridiculous claims?

I wonder what became of him?

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think back to that first speech he made at the B&F (I think it was) and the presser where he made the comment about being the right man standing, not the last man standing. He took that as a challenge to prove that he could successfully coach the team. The undertaking to ‘never give up’ – well we pretty much lived that in the first 18 months and got some great wins as a result. But all that’s gone. The things that Ken used to take as a challenge he now seems to use as excuses. The attitude of the players that saw us rise to the challenge of beating Collingwood against the odds in the finals, that saw us come back from 40+ points down against West Coast, relentlessly hang in for three quarters against Freo and then get them in the last – that’s gone too. I remember one of our first few losses, against the Bulldogs in Alice Springs I think it was, we lost because of a lack of effort and Ken was noticeably angry afterwards in the presser – that’s gone.

All this says to me that he just doesn’t have the passion and determination to win at all costs anymore. For the sake of the club we really can’t afford to keep him on next season.
Agree, great post

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
It's not 'year 6'. It's year two. As soon as we went in with Bonner, Houston, Howard, Byrne-Jones, Amon, Powell-Pepper and Marshall in an elimination final against West Coast in 2017, when Ken said 'this is the side we needed to play' when everyone was screaming about Jackson Trengove not being picked, that was when I realised that the list we had was broken and why it was broken (because of Gold Coast and GWS raping the draft with their concessions when we were at our lowest in 2011/2012).

This side has only played how we've wanted to play once, maybe twice (the game against Melbourne) for an entire game. In 2017, that side did it a couple of times, but this isn't the same side from 2017.

I see this year akin to when Ken first took over in 2013 - a list that is good enough to make finals, and could do something miraculous, but it all depends on how much experience they gain over the course of the year. We aren't playing guys like Frampton and Ladhams because we want to, but because we need to.

The only reason why Ken got an extension was because he was told back in 2013 that the list he was taking over had a premiership in it. And the results in 2015 proved that it didn't, because the club went through the same sort of BS that Melbourne is going through this year when a team thinks that it will just happen the year after.

That's why premiership sides are generally (unless they are incredibly talented) built on the back of players with 100+ games experience. The guys who will be consistent in their performance week in and week out and don't think they are at the level, but know they are.

I can speak with absolute clarity when I say that anything worth pursuing takes time. Doubly so when you have to rely on other people to deliver it. The one thing I never agreed with this year was appointing Jonas a captain because I don't think he should always be in our best 22 anymore, and should be more of a horses for courses selection when the opponent as a key forward. But that was a player choice thing.

I'll say it again - as long as we go into the bye 6-5, with our injury list...that's a tick from me. Replicate that and win one more game in the second half of the year, and we play finals.

But even Ken is pragmatic that he probably won't be around long enough to coach this team to a flag. And if he goes, that's okay. What's not okay is thinking that we need to do 'something different', because no one plays the way that the people on this board want us to play anymore. Super coach Clarkson went into the game against us with a structure that was eerily similar to ours, minus the tall forward in Frampton that did nothing but including a general forward in Gunston who kicked six goals. And how did he get those goals? By Hawthorn players identifying that Jonas was playing on him and kicking long and deep over the top of our zone...exactly what I wanted our defenders to do.

But no one mentions that.

You've said this year that we wouldn't have any more disconnect or fluctuations in performance because the players responsible for that were gone. Nothing has changed.

You also said that Hinkley had no excuses this year, but you've made plenty on his behalf. Funny how good clubs seem to do just fine despite the same hurdles we're having year in year out.

When I tried to say that we were rebuilding and aiming for 2022 onwards, you said that there is no rebuilding and that we're aiming to be challenging every year, and that moving on Wingard and Polec would make the difference. You're now saying that it's year 2, and that premiership sides are built upon players with 100+ games experience.

Gunston kicking 6 wasn't about Jonas playing on him. It was about us turning the ball over at half forward again, and again, and again, playing directly into Hawthorn's hands.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

I could be wrong but I always thought if you have a tie the next placing drops one position. Dead heat for second and the next placing should be 4th. That way the last placing is 18 in a field of 18. Under that system ken Hinkley is 15 in a field of 18!

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you remember that Roby dude who posted completely illogical power rankings on the main board a few years ago and would come out with the most convoluted, tortuous, retconned-after-the-fact-with-the-benefit-of-hindsight arguments to support his ridiculous claims?

I wonder what became of him?

That thread was the best. The funniest part was when Adelaide would lose a game and somehow rise miraculously to 3th.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that presser after the tigers game...

"We've got a long way to go before we're anything like the Richmond Football Club".

The same club we tore to shreds in the 2014 EF! :mad:

If this was the straw that broke the camels back, then selecting a badly out of form, unfit Aidyn Johnson who was under an injury cloud right up until the day of the game was Hinkley taking a massive dump on all of us, fans, players, club, just for the hell of it.
If he hadn’t lost the players up to this point this was surely a tipping point.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If this was the straw that broke the camels back, then selecting a badly out of form, unfit Aidyn Johnson who was under an injury cloud right up until the day of the game was Hinkley taking a massive dump on all of us, fans, players, club, just for the hell of it.
If he hadn’t lost the players up to this point this was surely a tipping point.

It is also peculiar that Johnson missed the next game be it sanfl or afl. There was speculation of illness prior to the showdown too. Just a puzzling selection.

You've said this year that we wouldn't have any more disconnect or fluctuations in performance because the players responsible for that were gone. Nothing has changed.

You also said that Hinkley had no excuses this year, but you've made plenty on his behalf. Funny how good clubs seem to do just fine despite the same hurdles we're having year in year out.

When I tried to say that we were rebuilding and aiming for 2022 onwards, you said that there is no rebuilding and that we're aiming to be challenging every year, and that moving on Wingard and Polec would make the difference. You're now saying that it's year 2, and that premiership sides are built upon players with 100+ games experience.

Gunston kicking 6 wasn't about Jonas playing on him. It was about us turning the ball over at half forward again, and again, and again, playing directly into Hawthorn's hands.

And when we get Dixon, Ebert, Wines and Hartlett back - players with over a hundred games experience - we’ll be fine. I expected Wines, Dixon and Hartlett to be firmly entrenched in the team by now.

There is a tipping point in terms of how many inexperienced players you can add to a team. We aren’t playing the players we are because of form, but because of injury.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol Hinkley’s in year 2 now because of GC/GWS stealing talent. Bloody hell. Someone call Brad Scott and tell him the good news maybe there’s still time.

2010 draft - It was sh1t.

2011 draft - We would’ve taken Wingard at #2 anyway.

Also we could’ve traded in some of this “stolen talent” once they had a few years of development put into them like almost every other club in the competition has done.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I want to know when the heat will come onto Hinkley? I cant understand how he escapes the scrutiny.

What will it take in terms of losses or margin in losses to get the media to start talking about his job?

Seems as though its only Bolton, Richo and Worsfold under the microscope

Lol Hinkley’s in year 2 now because of GC/GWS stealing talent. Bloody hell. Someone call Brad Scott and tell him the good news maybe there’s still time.

2010 draft - It was sh1t.

2011 draft - We would’ve taken Wingard at #2 anyway.

Also we could’ve traded in some of this “stolen talent” once they had a few years of development put into them like almost every other club in the competition has done.

I’ve explained this before. It’s not about the first round pick. It’s about the second and third round picks that became fifth and six round picks because of the concessions.

The 2010 draft was s**t because GWS had already preselected a whole bunch of the best 17 year olds in the country that year.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The next Power coach whoever and when ever that will be will have to be ruthless with some of the older players, ala Blight when he took over the fruit tingles and then virtually went bang, bang, bang from day one by rissoling three of their favourite sons, McDermott, McGuiness and A. Jarman.

John Cahill did something similar when he got rid of some Maggie stalwarts when he took over as coach in 1974, one of those players was Neville Thiele who was left stranded on 96 games for the club, so it was a ruthless decision.
For those who weren't around in that era, Thiele was a bustling, close checking key defender who lacked a yard of pace, similar in type and style to Tom Jonas, but he could kick the ball at least 10 metres further and more accurately than TJ, who I suspect would have struggled to be a regular player under Cahill and therefore zero chance to be even considered as captaincy material.

Last edited:

DazzaTys

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So obviously not in the clubs inner circle so have absolutely not idea. But I’d like to know from those that are, is their any pressure on Hinkley at all? What about Voss etc etc? Regardless of when we get guys back, they need some match fitness and it’s round 10 already. We might scrape into the eight but with our form and coaching ability, we’re absolutely no threat at all.

Greymatter

Senior List
Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think it was Brent Harvey (Could be wrong). On ABC Grandstand yesterday saying North are entering an acknoledged rebuild and they want someone else to take responsibility for it.

This is absolutely the logical and sensible decision for any club to take. If you fail with your prime list, you don't get to rebuild the club. Hinkely has had his time, the list of the post-Primus rebuild and effd it. We can Hardwick it and keep the faith with him or if we are as acknowledging a rebuild now, need to move him on so someone else can build the list in his image...

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I want to know when the heat will come onto Hinkley? I cant understand how he escapes the scrutiny.

What will it take in terms of losses or margin in losses to get the media to start talking about his job?

Seems as though its only Bolton, Richo and Worsfold under the microscope

I reckon there’s plenty of heat, we’re just not seeing or hearing it. Macca doesn’t just make stuff up and post it for the likes. If he thinks there’s a serious chance Hinkley will be gone at years end I’d be paying attention.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’ve explained this before. It’s not about the first round pick. It’s about the second and third round picks that became fifth and six round picks because of the concessions.

The 2010 draft was **** because GWS had already preselected a whole bunch of the best 17 year olds in the country that year.

Give me a break neither expansion club had so many picks that everyone else was pushed back 3 rounds. That’s pure rubbish. Besides we were busy trading out 2nd round picks for the likes of Renouf.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon there’s plenty of heat, we’re just not seeing or hearing it. Macca doesn’t just make stuff up and post it for the likes. If he thinks there’s a serious chance Hinkley will be gone at years end I’d be paying attention.

Im new here, whats macca's credentials?

And when we get Dixon, Ebert, Wines and Hartlett back - players with over a hundred games experience - we’ll be fine. I expected Wines, Dixon and Hartlett to be firmly entrenched in the team by now.

We'll be fine when these guys are back, just like we were when they and others were playing for us from 2015-2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back