Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. And not even winning the final, just being there.
Not aiming too high or expecting too much is it.
It pretty much sums up the last few years too.
And explains the "win some lose some" attitude.

It's just bizarre. The regime didn't come in with this attitude so I can't understand why expectations are so low now.

Maybe when the attendances continue to fall and membership drops away will they realise that Port supporters want to win, not just be happy to feature in an elimination final every few years.

KT is the one I'm most disappointed in. I didn't think he was this daft.

How many degrees of separation between the person who told you, and the board/CEO who would have approved this deal?

Hard to tell when its at least third hand. I did not question the statement because of the individual who spoke it. Sometimes you take statements on face value due to the proven integrity and knowledge of the individual. I'm just stating what was told and i consider it to be correct. Like all things, time will tell. If we have not made finals by end 2020, you would expect the willingness of Port hierarchy to continue the contract or renew the contract (without taking Koch into account), would not be ..... evident.

It's just bizarre. The regime didn't come in with this attitude so I can't understand why expectations are so low now.

Maybe when the attendances continue to fall and membership drops away will they realise that Port supporters want to win, not just be happy to feature in an elimination final every few years.

KT is the one I'm most disappointed in. I didn't think he was this daft.

Bizarre it is.

My opinion : Koch made a monumental mistake in extending the contract and with a board that is AFL nominated, spin the story of us punching above the weight yudda yudda.
Ken does damage but IMO, Koch is a danger to the culture and traditions of the club. He will not admit he was wrong and would be prepared to redefine Port Adelaide than accept responsibility for his error of judgment. He's the one that wants Hinkley to be a 10 year coach.
Agree with KT also, unfortunately. Coming from Norwood to Port would be challenging !! Is the passion for the club there or is it just a job or has he had enough? Oil and water don't mix.

I accept and understand if others disagree with my opinions. Its all part of the passion of being a Port supporter. We can have different views but we have one important common denominator.

What a mediocre contract that must be. Why the **** would we put a trigger in, rather than club's option. How utterly pathetic were our negotiating team.
In fairness to the negotiation team (Koch) Hinkley was threatening to break his contract. It's not as if the club was negotiating from a position of strength. :rolleyes:

I will see if I can dig up that interview but the phrase KT quoted Walsh on is that in Walsh''s opinion - Ken saw the game as well as anyone he had worked with in footy. He didnt used the words tactical genius and I don't know if that's what Walsh implied. KT also in the interview talked about when ever he goes to AFL functions how much respect the players Ken has worked with (ie those Geelong greats) have for him and seek him out to talk to him. They were the 2 reasons why KT in that interview was comfortable with extending Ken''s tenure.

Yea this is what I always come back to when discussing Ken.

The reverence Geelong have for him. The respect people in the media and AFL circles seem to have. Phil Walsh, other coaches and players all speaking so highly of him. It’s hard to know what role he played, but Watts, Rockliff, Polec, Lycett, Motlop, Dixon and Ryder all spoke about how convincing Ken was - could just be media speak.

Ken’s record, or lack thereof, speaks for itself but he is one coach who is hard to dislike and who I really still hope wins a flag for us. I just don’t think he will.

Is winning covering the cracks? Look at royal commissions, they come because their is a perceived sense of achieving something while the underbelly is really a poor culture that isn’t being addressed because the perception.
I didn't say anything about winning covering the cracks, I just found it absurd that some of our own supporters wanted us to lose just so they have a right to be even more critical then they already are. So what if it doesn't change our future? It's a win, and we should enjoy wins whilst they last.
We can acknowledge a win and continue to be critical at the same time can't we?

Bizarre it is.

My opinion : Koch made a monumental mistake in extending the contract and with a board that is AFL nominated, spin the story of us punching above the weight yudda yudda.
Ken does damage but IMO, Koch is a danger to the culture and traditions of the club. He will not admit he was wrong and would be prepared to redefine Port Adelaide than accept responsibility for his error of judgment. He's the one that wants Hinkley to be a 10 year coach.
Agree with KT also, unfortunately. Coming from Norwood to Port would be challenging !! Is the passion for the club there or is it just a job or has he had enough? Oil and water don't mix.

I accept and understand if others disagree with my opinions. Its all part of the passion of being a Port supporter. We can have different views but we have one important common denominator.

I don't think you can doubt KT's commitment to the cause from September 2011 to about the end of 2017. He has done some great things for the club including fighting the SANFL very hard about AO, the licence, the Magpies, then reunification, the GDV etc and negotiating with the AFL re China, getting the PB's up for the 2014 EF, making sure we get ANZAC Rd home game etc.

What you can question is his energy levels since I reckon we lost the 2017 EF to WCE. There have been a lot of negatives since then that would have sapped his energy levels. He hasn't helped himself with China and not being able to cut the umbilical cord and employing a proper GM Commercial China based in Shanghai and a GM Commercial who can walk into HQ's of big ASX 200 companies in Sydney and Melbourne annd get to talk to the marketing guys and CEO with relative ease. Not getting a 2nd JMS in 2018 would have been a set back for him, probably like an ACL, not terminal, but stuffs up your progress.

As things have got harder and more failures the club has gone through, we have been more into survival mode than on the front foot, like we had no choice but to get onto the front foot into the build up to AO.

Getting to AO was all about attacking it with zeal and doing great things as the SANFL shackles were smashed. Since last year, IMO, its been lets get to 2020 in 1 piece, have a big party, then reset as KKK might all be replaced after 2020 season has ended.

KH's snappy retort to an SMS from a 5aa listener bagging him suggests he's not as comfortable as we think.
I wasn't sure whether to take that as lack of comfort, or just dismissive of the fans and he knows he is safe for now.

I didn't say anything about winning covering the cracks, I just found it absurd that some of our own supporters wanted us to lose just so they have a right to be even more critical then they already are. So what if it doesn't change our future? It's a win, and we should enjoy wins whilst they last.
We can acknowledge a win and continue to be critical at the same time can't we?
The thing is, when we beat average sides, it covers up Kens inability to be a good finals coach. A win is a win but these wins against weaker opposition is seen as saving Ken's arse, keeping him in the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, when we beat average sides, it covers up Kens inability to be a good finals coach. A win is a win but these wins against weaker opposition is seen as saving Ken's arse, keeping him in the job.

Make finals this year, trigger the clause which nets him a contract for 2021 costing the club 800k or thereabouts
or
Miss finals this year and sack him

Yeah it's hard to get excited about wins at the moment. If we can't win the flag (lol) then I sure as hell don't wanna play a pointless elimination final.

I don't like winning so I have a right to defend Ken, I like winning because I want my football club to win, Ken or no Ken.
I don't burst out after a win shouting about how great Ken is, I enjoy the win and I move on to the next game.
Really the end of the season is when we should be talking about the coach unless you're a Bolton or Scott with too much on-field pressure to wait through the season.
For once I would like to get through a week of football where we can simply focus on the game, rather than the coach, and letting that affect our expectations.

I don't like winning so I have a right to defend Ken, I like winning because I want my football club to win, Ken or no Ken.
I don't burst out after a win shouting about how great Ken is, I enjoy the win and I move on to the next game.
Really the end of the season is when we should be talking about the coach unless you're a Bolton or Scott with too much on-field pressure to wait through the season.
For once I would like to get through a week of football where we can simply focus on the game, rather than the coach, and letting that affect our expectations.

So go to another thread then. Fancy coming here and taking issue with the subject matter.

So go to another thread then. Fancy coming here and taking issue with the subject matter.
I have no issue with the subject at hand, it's simply the way we've prioritized it over everything else at subject on our club.
I want us to have the freedom of going into a game day thread and actually talking about the game, not Ken or anything about him. When it's tactical it's justified, but when it's emotional it's simply out of place in a thread that would otherwise be about the game and the playing group.

What a mediocre contract that must be. Why the **** would we put a trigger in, rather than club's option. How utterly pathetic were our negotiating team.

It's every manager's dream to negotiate with PAFC. Ryder's management team must really feel dudded.

Sydney's chairman has come out and said that there is no chance of Longmire going to North as he is under contract and they will hold him to it. Also said there is no rush to offer him an extension as he is contracted for next year.

That's how you do it Kochie.

Sydney's chairman has come out and said that there is no chance of Longmire going to North as he is under contract and they will hold him to it. Also said there is no rush to offer him an extension as he is contracted for next year.

That's how you do it Kochie.

That will change if and when North make him an offer. And it will be the right call by Sydney to extend him because in 8 completed seasons he's made 8 finals series, 3 grand finals and won 1 flag. Not quite in the same league as old mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back