• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately for Hinkley, he is genuinely a nice bloke, he loves the players and has become attached to the PAFC. The players also like Ken. Trouble being this is a cut throat industry, where coaches have to have the respect of the the playing group but also being ruthless in the pursuit of a premiership.

I think Ken struggles with making correct decisions because he loves the players and comes across more like a mate not a coach.

We all accept this is tough competition and it's difficult to win the ultimate prize but Ken has to become a ruthless coach, if he is to survive at any club, especially a club like Port with such a rich history of success.

It could well be some of the disagreements reported in the box with Monty, are just that, monty just wants it done without the emotional attachments Ken has for certain players. (Billy excluded)

I would love to think that Hinkley has changed in the way he coaches but history would suggest it's very difficult to change a persons views and thinking, it's like part of a persons DNA.

The big test will be against Brisbane this week, although we are not privy to how much input there is from Montgomery & Schofield, so it's hard to monitor. There is something very different about the way Ken handles himself at press conferences of late, so that may suggest he has been instructed to let others have more input on selections and game day. Only my opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1
I had it on in the background, stopped paying attention after they spoke about the Showdown. Caro asked him his opinion on someone's (missed the name) view that Carlton would be a good destination for Hinkley and there could be a parting of the ways with Port. Caro was testing out whatever she has heard on Judd as Carlton's football director. He offered nothing in response.
Kane

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately for Hinkley, he is genuinely a nice bloke, he loves the players and has become attached to the PAFC. The players also like Ken, trouble being this is a cut throat industry, where coaches have to have the respect of the the playing group but also being ruthless in the pursuit of a premiership.

I think Ken struggles with making correct decisions because he loves the players and comes across more like a mate not a coach.

We all accept this is tough competition and it's difficult to win the ultimate prize but Ken has to become a ruthless coach, if he is to survive at any club, especially a club like Port with such a rich history of success.

It could well be be some of the disagreements reported in the box with Monty, are just that, monty just wants it done without the emotional attachments Ken has for certain players. (Billy excluded)

I would love to think that Hinkley has changed in the way he coaches but history would suggest, it's very difficult to change a persons views and thinking, it's like part of a persons DNA.

The big test will be against Brisbane this week, although we are not privy to how much input there is from Montgomery & Schofield, so it's hard to monitor. There is something very different about the way Ken handles himself at press conferences of late, so that may suggest he has been instructed to let others have more input on selections and game day. Only my opinion.
Good post. Selections, game plan, tactical moves have improved this year. Monty and Schofield have certainly had an impact ... I would suggest Monty has called out Kenny on a number of occasions. Montgomery is the perfect foil for Hinkley ... he doesn't filter his thoughts; just says it like it is.

Have heard Monty is hard work inside the box (but was before our gig - its a known thing).

I mean this in the nicest possible way but Monty's biggest strength is that he's a hard nosed arsehole. We had a lot of those back in the Chocolate days, on and off the field. Sometimes you need people like that to drive standards in a high performance environment like the AFL.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Unfortunately for Hinkley, he is genuinely a nice bloke, he loves the players and has become attached to the PAFC. .....
I believe that this was a big reason why Hinkley was able to get such a big improvement in 2013 and 2014. When he came in the club was in a dark place and the playing group, in the wake of John McCarthy's untimely death, needed someone like Hinkley.

Unfortunately what was an asset for Hinkley has now become a liability as you describe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
This talk of a Carlton and Hinkley link better not result in giving him another early extension.

Surely KT and Koch are not that stupid. At the end of the day we are inconsistent and are still likely to miss finals unless miraculously we string wins together over the coming weeks.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Surely KT and Koch are not that stupid. ....
You'd certainly hope they wouldn't fall for that trick again but I wouldn't put it past them. Koch has stated he wants Hinkley to be a ten year coach and he would probably see Carlton as a threat to his desire being realised.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely KT and Koch are not that stupid. At the end of the day we are inconsistent and are still likely to miss finals unless miraculously we string wins together over the coming weeks.

I don't think they'll extend the contract two years too early but ... 'Vanstone's "stay the course" because Peggy did' ... keeps me on edge.

He could've done what Longmire did and refused to rule it out. I'm prepared to take the comment on face value.

Longmire has a contract extension to angle for though. Ken already got his.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
He could've done what Longmire did and refused to rule it out. I'm prepared to take the comment on face value.

We're in a bit of a different situation to Sydney.

Wind Guard

All Australian
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hinkley is firing on all cylinders at the pointy end of the season.

Sit tight, the master is about to weave his magic my friends.

Hinkley4.jpg

I believe that this was a big reason why Hinkley was able to get such a big improvement in 2013 and 2014. When he came in the club was in a dark place and the playing group, in the wake of John McCarthy's untimely death, needed someone like Hinkley.

Unfortunately what was an asset for Hinkley has now become a liability as you describe.

Assistant coaches actually in the building and with a knowledge of footy combined with a world class fitness guru served as a few cans of spinach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back