Sack Matthews

• Thread starter Rob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rob

When are the powers that be take a good hard long look at the coaching decisions made this year.
Knowing them they will sack players, and Matthews is not accountable for his onfield decisions, and he has the final say at Match Committee level. Some match ups this year have been plain bizzarre.
Start afresh I say.
Get our local boy Brittain.

L

LionBear

Just watched the news. The cheek of that man blaming the players. When sitting home here in Brisbane we had perfectly fit players in Power and Scott, Lambert, Champion, etc etc.
What a cop out.
Why was bloody Bolton on Hammil. Why was Bolton in the team, Inexperrienced young player, played last week, looked absolutley lost. Cupido,Picken,Brown,Mc Donald, Knobel, Headland, Notting. All young and inexperienced. What a joke.
Scott was fine, so was Power. Arrogant matthews thought they would win today. The coaches on 3LO were having aball picking him to pieces.
His putting Black in the Forward line when he was tagged by Camporeale changed the game. Before that they had the midfield ascenency prior to that point.

dockerbabe

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2000
perth wa australia
Other Teams
fremantle
the reason coaches put young players on older players is to give them experience i mean look at leigh brown and matthew pavlich on top players each week they were and paul hasleby he has played against some of the best the coaches put young players were they r for experience

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dockerbabe,

Problem is there are not many experienced players at Freo. These players had no choice but to get those tasks you mentioned. In a final, you have to try to WIN the game, and putting your best players in their best positions is the way to do it.

S

Steve

Nah, we will pass on Ayres.
We will have Doc Clarke back though.
Matthews will never leave. The Board are too rapt in his ' legend ' status. Forgetting that that to be a great footballer doesn't necessarily make you a great coach.
If you look at stable teams, like North and Cartlon. They put the best possible team on the paddock each week. They don't juggle players so they never know what position they are playing.
They never have at finals time looks of rookie players. Experience is what finals is all about. In fact its crucial.
Bradshaw for instance is a natural full forward. Was dropped at the beginning of the season because Matthews thought he was no good, it took 3 weeks of bagging 8 in the reserves for him to be brought back innto the seniors, in a half a season of footy he has scored 56 goals. But according to Matthews he is no good. That was said in the paper up here by Matthews in his regular column.

J

Jen

Rob and Co. I think you are living in fantasy land. No one at the Lions cares.
Anyway the club has not got the money to pay him out of his contract. They couldn't even afford to pay for a temporary replay screen last week for the final, they needed the revenue for the area it was going to sited. Bit of a joke really, the ground ended up being half empty.
Maybe if they actually promoted the match a few more people would have gone. Not a solitary ad in the paper or on TV. Not bad going for a one team town.But then again Pat Rafter requested tickets to see the match and they couldn't even do a phot shoot or have him toss the coin, nothing. A prominent tennis player barracks for your team and they don't give a continental.
I wouldn't stop at the coach, I would sweep clean at Board level. These guys have been there since inception. New blood , new ideas. Dare I say it, maybe a female. A businesswomen maybe. Now I would vote for change.
To actually get this team on the map in Queensland.
Also a Queensland coach in Wayne Brittain. w shold have gotten him instead of Matthews to start with.
The majority of the staff at the Lions in all facets are from interstate. Some home grown local staff might help, they might actually know what we locals want, in the way of marketing. All markets are not the same.

Homer

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 13, 2000
thrusting my penis
Other Teams
Brisbane
A friend of mine was at the after match last night at the Hilton Hotel in Melbourne.Matthews got up in front of everyone and said that the players had not only embarrassed themselves but their supporters and that they alone were at fault for the loss yesterday.
Hows that for arrogance.The crowd were stunned, the players were shattered.
I know none of you care, but Brisbane will never succceed at any level whilst the coach publicy humitilates his team.
Could any of you imagine Sheedy playing 8 rookies in a Semi and them blaimg the team for his faults.Having say Long, Hird, Hardwick, Allessio, Fletcher and Mercuri, sitting at home interstate not in the team, not injured but not picked to play. This is what has happened to my team.
Imagine you guys how you would feel if your coach did the same thing.

Bernie

Senior List
Mar 22, 2000
Melbourne,VIC,AUST
Thanks Lions,

That was a most enjoyable afternoon - I had Hammil down for 5 before the game started as we noticed his opponent was a lot smaller and a lot younger.

Those two beanpole ruckmen - fortunately cannot mark which made life easy for those who can.

Thank goodness we bought a record - otherwise half the Lions team would have stayed unknown to us.

But seriously, there were 4 guys who had NEVER played on the MCG before. What chance do they have against Bradley, MacKay, Ratten etc ?

Both Lions and Swans have NOT won an away final yet. It's pretty easy to see why.

I have a feeling Matthews will come good. I’m tipping we win the flag in 2001 and back that up with Premierships in 2002 and 2003. I think we will do it.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a feeling Matthews will come good. I’m tipping we win the flag in 2001 and back that up with Premierships in 2002 and 2003. I think we will do it.

Are you serious?
You just got smashed by 82 points. Your younger players like Black, Brown & Power don't even look like making it.
You have one superstar player in Voss then a whole group of journeyman.

I'd definitely pick Melbourne to win a flag before you guys ever do.

Are you serious?
You just got smashed by 82 points. Your younger players like Black, Brown & Power don't even look like making it.
You have one superstar player in Voss then a whole group of journeyman.

I'd definitely pick Melbourne to win a flag before you guys ever do.
We’ve got our eye on this bloke called Robert Copeland who we are thinking we might be able to snag with our pick 66 in the upcoming Rookie Draft. He looks like he’s got a couple of Premierships in him. GUN!

Back